June 6th, 2008

Edwards again rules out VP job

Edwards says he doesn't want to be Obama's No. 2
Edwards says he doesn't want to be Obama's No. 2

(CNN) – It may be time to take John Edwards' name off the list of potential vice presidential candidates.

The former presidential candidate, who was the 2004 Democratic vice presidential nominee, continued to flatly maintain has no interest in the job. Traveling in Spain Friday, Edwards told two separate newspapers it’s not a role he is willing to take again. (Related: The rundown on Obama's VP possibilities)

“I already had the privilege of running for vice president in 2004, and I won't do it again," Edwards told El Mundo newspaper. He also made similar comments to El Pais.

The former North Carolina senator's comments are his first on VP speculation since Barack Obama officially clinched the Democratic nomination. Edwards, who ended his own bid in late January , endorsed the Illinois senator's White House bid in May, sending the political world abuzz that the two could team up on the same ticket. (WATCH: Edwards endorses Obama)

They appeared to have natural chemistry — something Edwards and then-Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry seemed to lack in 2004 — and the former North Carolina senator remains popular among a key demographic that has been reluctant to support Obama — working-class white voters. (WATCH: Edwards' motives for endorsement)

But Edwards immediately sought to quell rumors he was angling for the No. 2 spot, telling an interviewer shortly after his endorsement announced that it "Won't happen…. It's just not something I am interested in."

But he has been more coy about serving for Obama in other ways, specifically as his attorney general.

1. Minnesota

He'll spend the rest of his life running for prez......and will magically appear to fight poverty every 4 years.

June 6, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  2. Chuck

Since Barack Obama has repeatedly said that he wants to turn the page on the way Washington D.C. has run things for the last 20 years, it is incumbent upon him to select a Vice-President that is not part of the existing Congress.

He has to look to a state governor, past or current, in making this serious choice. Let me suggest Mark Warner of Virginia, former Governor of Virginia who is currently running for U.S. Senator from that State. I believe the two of them will make for a winning ticket come November.

June 6, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  3. james

Good, I don't think Obambi is worthy of Edwards or Clinton. Obama isn't worthy of being VP.

He is a disgrace to this country and should take his self-righteous and self-absorbance to Africa where he seems to have greater respect and values.

This Clinton supporter, white male, will never forget how he and his followers have insulted and bullied their way with disregard for fairness and humane actions and will work my hardest to see that McCain wins in November. If Obama wins I will hope he fails beyond belief – YES, just to prove our point that Hillary was the better choice thrown to the curb. I will never forget the childish and disgusting 'flip of the finger' Obambi gave to Hillary – how Bush like.

Don't give up Hillary – Hope to see you in 2012

June 6, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  4. Enlightened Voter - No hillary for VP

The reason he doesn't want to run any more is in case his wife's cancer comes out of remission.

June 6, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  5. 2Set

I agree with you Obama vs. McCain, something does not smell right. I got that impression on Tuesday night when there was no concession speech from HRC. I also dont understand why she does not release her delegates. If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat, ITS A RAT! The only way I would feel better about it if she releases here delegates and backs Obama like a true Democrat should do in uniting this party instead of still fuming over a loss.

June 6, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  6. jimmy velman

OBAMA SUPPORTERS: QUIT BEATING ON HILLARY CLINTON.
    SHE HAS 18 MILLION SUPORTERS. YOU ALIENATE THEM AND OBAMA LOSES.

June 6, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  7. Kittensbeep

Edwards is a loser who caved in to the establishment. No One wants him, he wil always be #2

June 6, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  8. Lee

Edwards would be great as Attorney General. Love the idea after the last few scoundrels...

June 6, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  9. Earl

I hope Obama picks Richardson so it can really seal the deal that he WON'T get my vote. I actually like Edwards.

Only way I vote for Obama is if Hillary is VP BUT for the record, I hope he doesn't offer it to her or she turns it down.

Bottom line, Obama and Hillary are very similar on the issues but far apart in my book as far as being trustworthy and their capabilities.

I don't completely trust Obama and don't feel like he is yet capable of running the country.

My vote is going to McCain. He is not the 3rd Bush term. He is a decent, good man with a track record of being able to work with Dems across the aisle.

I surmise many other Clinton supporters will do the same if Hillary is not the VP. And I hope that is the case. That will teach the Dems to disenfranchise 2 states and insult and demean a respected, well-loved party leader in Hillary Clinton.

June 6, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  10. RJ, CA

Your comment is awaiting moderation. (No, actually it's "Your comment has been obliterated – again!)

An Obama/Clinton ticket would STILL be an Obama ticket, and that would NEVER work for me. The ultra-liberal DNC and back-stabbing, rule-breaking superdelegates can have him (and that goes for you, too, Edward!)
    So, since Hillary Clinton (a MODERATE Democrat, like me) now seems to be out of the race for president, my money and vote go to Senator McCain, a MODERATE Republican. He is now the only genuinely "vetted" leader left in the general election.
    And if ANY of you Obama folks think that OBAMA will end the Iraq war overnight, you are REALLY living in a dream world. He won't; he can't; nobody can – so it's just more empty rhetoric. It has to be done gradually and responsibly (at least Senator Clinton has ALWAYS used the word "responsibly." And by the way, just watch how THAT word will suddenly also become a part of Senator Obama's political lexicon.
    Senator McCain is NOT George Bush. If Bush were running right now, I would NOT vote for him, just as I didn't the last 2 times. McCain is a genuine American hero and has seen the horrors of war first hand. HE will continue what is necessary — THE RIGHT WAY — to bring this war to a sound conclusion.
    And what continues to annoy the heck out of me is that Senator Obama so dishonorably played on the theme that he didn't vote for the war. Of course not — he wasn't yet in the Senate when that vote took place. At least to me, pretty much eveything he has said has been that way. I think that's why people continue to say, "I just don't trust him."

June 6, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  11. Sean Lloyds

Some of the femmenists on this board are quite hyterical..get a grip and take it easy on the Obama-hating..you make HRC out to be some kind of village warlord with you idiots as her tribal leader..

BTW: go and vote McCain, you will only be putting in conservatives in teh Supreme Court to turn over Roe v Wade...

June 6, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  12. HerbTee

I can certainly understand why John Edwards doesn't want the VP slot run under Senator Obama. He's been there and done that already. However, I strongly feel that Edwards would be an excellent US Attorney General in an Obama Administration. He's not only a "working persons" and a "man of the people" kind of guy. But he’s a very decent man who has strong honesty traits and strong moral integrity.

We'll need John Edwards to clean up the legal mess that Bush and his lackeys have done to our justice systems and with their skewed interpretations of the Constitution. Welcome Mr. Edwards...you are much desired and would be most welcomed on the "Obama Express"!

Obama/Sebelius for 2008 OR Obama/Richardson for 2008

June 6, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  13. Nick

I think Edwards would be a fine VP. But the country doesn't seem to think so, and perhaps he sees that he could do more harm than good to the campaign, since the country didn't even want him as a nominee.

June 6, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  14. Sean Lloyds

Don't put HRC or Edwards on ticket..each is a rat.

June 6, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  15. Ryan

I agree....don't beat up Hillary supports. There is nothing wrong with them. Stand together people.

June 6, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  16. David Smith

Obama/Schwarzenegger 2008

June 6, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  17. young1

Obama v McCain

I heard the same thing. What it is, is that the republicans say they have a video of Obama's wife(Michelle Whitey Video) saying some thing about caucasian people. But I think she was talking about Bush in general. This is what she said:

Why’d he cut folks off medicaid?
    Why’d he let New Orleans drown?
    Why’d he do nothing about Jena?
    Why’d he put us in Iraq for no reason?

This is what the replubicans and Fox News(Hanity especially)want everybody to hear:

Whitie cut folks off medicaid?
    Whitie let New Orleans drown?
    Whitie do nothing about Jena?
    Whitie put us in Iraq for no reason?

I hope if they come out with a tape like his , that the amercian people will see through the lies.

June 6, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  18. Chris

Ohio Combat Vet-
    As the parent of a Marine, I must object to your comment. I have far more faith in Obama than any other candidate. He is clearly not a quitter as this grueling race has proven so far. Further, Obama supports healthcare benefits and an opportunity for a college education for my son, who will be truly deserving of those benefits when he returns home from this ill-gotten war. I, as an Independent voter, wholeheartedly support Barack Obama and his vision of a truly free and just America, all the way to the White House.

June 6, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  19. Veronica,nj

The foreclosure rate is the highest ever...gas prices are skyhigh...and WE ARE AT WAR!!!!

whoever votes republican is mental!!!!!

June 6, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  20. Billy J Austin, TX

Edwards was my first choice 5 years ago. I can understand him not wanting to do VP again. But my wife and I think Attorney General would be FANTASTIC! Robert Kennedy bucked his own family going after organized labor and crime. He also enforced civil rights more vigorously than anyone before him. I get a feeling Edwards could be the next Robert Kennedy in that role.

June 6, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  21. Ryan

To an Ohia combet Vet Observation–

That's why we are currently in this mess with the terrible minds of the likes of you folks. Everything you just said sounds like you just support the republican party no matter how crappy they are. You must have voted for GWB twice!! Keep quiet or be a good soldier and just go to war when we tell you too. Leave the thinking to the minds of this country.

June 6, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  22. Rick

Timothy June 6th, 2008 9:54 am ET

I have learned that there are many Republicans posing as angry Clinton supporters trying to keep us divided. Do not believe it. There are some Repubs who are desparate and will try anything because they know they are toast this year. They think we are dumb enough to vote McCain in because of their bogus posts. Democrats will be united in November! Get ready for defeat McCain, Bush, Cheney and the politics of the past! It is going to happen. Accept it now or later, it really doesn't matter.

. I don't blame the Republicans, I blame the DNC, and the news media for Bashing Hillary, and I will vote for Sen John Mccain in nov.
    .The left wing of the DEMS is highjaking our party, and i just can't stay with a party that hates women. The old party elites need a lesson.

. CNN please post this.

June 6, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  23. Ryan

****************************************************************************************

TO: An Ohio Combat Vet Observation-

one last thing....not everyone believe in your mythical diety anymore. It's the year 2008 more are refuting such beliefs like the "toothfairy"

*********************************************************************

June 6, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  24. Anonymous

"I, ALONG WITH MILLIONS OF VOTERS, WILL RATHER SEE MCCAIN WIN THE ELECTION THAN A LIAR AND A HYPOCRITE. "

This quote from above made me giggle. Apparently it was typed with no apparent sense of irony.

June 6, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  25. Steve

There is no surprise coming for Obama. Hillary just has really bad manners and she's in denial. She corrected her error the next day, and congratulated Obama (after the DNC leadership reprimanded her). She's holding on to her delegates for a short time, until she wraps things up. The delegates, by the way, don't mean anything anymore. Obama won. The convention is a rubber stamp of what has just happened. Those delegates will vote for who they've been instructed to vote for. If there's going to be any cheap tricks, it will be at the Democratic convention, but I seriously doubt the DNC will allow Hillary to pull any fast ones. There are millions of people watch this, and it would ruin the Democratic Party's chance in November if that were to happen (trust in the process would be gone).

June 6, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |