June 6th, 2008

Edwards again rules out VP job

Edwards says he doesn't want to be Obama's No. 2
Edwards says he doesn't want to be Obama's No. 2

(CNN) – It may be time to take John Edwards' name off the list of potential vice presidential candidates.

The former presidential candidate, who was the 2004 Democratic vice presidential nominee, continued to flatly maintain has no interest in the job. Traveling in Spain Friday, Edwards told two separate newspapers it’s not a role he is willing to take again. (Related: The rundown on Obama's VP possibilities)

“I already had the privilege of running for vice president in 2004, and I won't do it again," Edwards told El Mundo newspaper. He also made similar comments to El Pais.

The former North Carolina senator's comments are his first on VP speculation since Barack Obama officially clinched the Democratic nomination. Edwards, who ended his own bid in late January , endorsed the Illinois senator's White House bid in May, sending the political world abuzz that the two could team up on the same ticket. (WATCH: Edwards endorses Obama)

They appeared to have natural chemistry — something Edwards and then-Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry seemed to lack in 2004 — and the former North Carolina senator remains popular among a key demographic that has been reluctant to support Obama — working-class white voters. (WATCH: Edwards' motives for endorsement)

But Edwards immediately sought to quell rumors he was angling for the No. 2 spot, telling an interviewer shortly after his endorsement announced that it "Won't happen…. It's just not something I am interested in."

But he has been more coy about serving for Obama in other ways, specifically as his attorney general.

1. Sarah, Northern Colorado

As great a ticket as Obama/Edwards would be, I'm going to guess that Edwards has a vision for what he wants for America. I'm going to guess that being the VP isn't where he feels he can be most effective. And, I think it's great that he recognizes that, rather than going for the "glory" of being the Vice President.

June 6, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  2. Linda31

Maria, not one of your reasons has to do with Obama and his actions in office. What are the lies and untruths he has told? Saying it without backing is weak. And listing those people except Michelle? How don't you just list everyone who has ever walked within 100 feet of him? The DNC did not give him anything. If you really want to know the truth about what happenin that meeting on Saturday, do the research. They could have ruled to give both Clinton and Obama 50/50 since the Michigan primary was invalid, but the Obama team in the spirit of unity excepted the 69/59. He had the votes... And didn't the superdelegate give Clinton a lead in the beginning? Was that handing it to her. Don't insult both of these candidates by discounting their hard work.

What I don't understand people are not talking about the issues. I came here to comment about Edwards and was distracted by that nasty comment.

I think Edwards already knows the position he wants. Also, he probably feels like he's been there and done that for the VP.

June 6, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  3. sc00ter, Norfolk, VA

For all those people that do not want HIllary for VP, sounds to me like you all are gender bias. It is a sad day for the rights of women.

June 6, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  4. Brando

Barack ain't gettin' 270 EV in Nov. At the end, the only number that matters is 270. Leave it to the democrats to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory…once again. It's all about the electoral college, stupid. When would you (finally) learn lessons from the '00 & '04 presidential elections? (rhetorical Q' of course)…PS: See you in 4 yrs, John.

June 6, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  5. faye, NV

Yes Edwards who be the idea one for Attorney General.

I am sorry but I do not trust the Clinton's for sure on last night I thought she was sitting him up for a bullet. She might be great in areas of the Sen and does a wonderful job.

However, her selfishness and ego is to strong and this lost was a shock to her gigantic EGO. Maybe she is holding to her delegates hoping that June will be the end of Obama. Again I am sorry, but I seen a part of her that is dangerous.

June 6, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  6. Chris

People..people..Edwards has his wife to worry about. Lets have some understanding here.

Good for you John. Family comes first no matter what.

June 6, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  7. Linda31

Ashamed, there is always room! I can understand when something that was hard fought is done, but the issues you were fighting for are still on the table. So I say, welcome.

June 6, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  8. Janet Hanscomj

I'd love to see Edwards on Obamas ticket. I think they would make a great team and hope he's considered and that he reconsiders his position on a VP slot.

I would hate to see Obama select Clinton for a running mate. I think if he were to do so and was elected, he'd be too distracted trying to keep the Clintons out of the Oval office they are so familiar with and comfortable in, to do a proper job. And since I actually liked Bill Clinton as a President, I think that pretty much says it all.

June 6, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  9. Margeaux

Caroline Kennedy is on the VP scoping team? Please explain that to me. Hillary had "no" experience as a wife of a president so how does the daughter of a president, who barely knew her dad able to get such a decisive role? The obsession with the Kennedy's is cultlike.

June 6, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  10. Ostriches burying our heads in the sand

I am rooting for Edwards as Attorney General....He said no to VP but was coy when asked whether he would like to be the AG....

June 6, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  11. Beverly, NYC

Dear Ashamed:

The train has room for all who share the same goal, getting Obama elected. WELCOME!!!

June 6, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  12. Concerned Canadian

John Edwards...he endorsed Obama but probably wishes now he didn't. Edwards already proclaimed on talk shows his interest only is in helping the poor and other charity work. He said he has no aspirations for political office. I think Edwards only endorsed Obama to get his campaign debt covered. The night Edwards endorsed Obama..Edwards body language was sort of strained when he embraced with Obama and his face looked stiff. Something wasn't right between these two that night.

But I just want to add that I'm not surprised Edwards is turning it down. I've always said, I think Obama is gonna find it difficult to find a willing running mate.

June 6, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  13. A JRE Democrat

COME ON JOHN!!

I wish you would be our president, but we will be happy if you take VP.

June 6, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  14. ANGIE

i bet shes holding on to her delegates shes gonna help mccain do dirty things on obama shes so deperate to be president she will do anything i thinks shes proven that poor obama not only does he have to fight mccain but hillary too thats sad!!!!

June 6, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  15. Wolf

Smart move John Edwards....I wouldn't want to be on a loosing ticket either!

June 6, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  16. HerbTee

For God's sake, can't the Obama-haters here finally give this decent man your respect and the worthy credit that is due him for running a magnificent and successful campaign? Other than being born a Black man and winning a political campaign against a formidable White female opponent, what has Obama ever done in his life that's so terrible to some of you?

Why can some of you simply wish Obama Godspeed for a closely fought victory, even if you didn't vote for him or are still not sure you'll vote for him in the GE? Give it a rest already people!!

June 6, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  17. Michelle

Obama/Edwards would be a Loser/Loser ticket.

Hey, have you seen the lastest RNC ad?
    Edwards, Biden, and both Clintons are dissing
    Obama as being unready to lead. Edwards says all Obama can do is give speeches. LOLOL

It's a gem.

"O" has got to go.

June 6, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  18. Carolyn

Why are you racist people afraid to have an African American for President? Hillary lost fair and square. So stop hate'n on Obama. He just ran a great campaign. Give him credit. He didn't do any "mud" slinging like Hillary. If the delegates and superdelegates didn't think he could win he would not have been the nominee. Why is there so much hate toward Obama. Out of all the candidates he was treat much more harsh. "Someone was going to loose and someone was going to win" Obama WON!

He will be President in 2008 it's God's Plan

June 6, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  19. TESAP

They look good together.................. :)

June 6, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  20. Matt

I love all the people that accuse Edwards of being an ambulance chaser. Does anyone care to get me ANY specifics on the cases he was apart of? People are so ignorant and will repeat anything they hear when they know NOTHING about his former career as a trial lawyer!!

June 6, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  21. Fernandez

smart man

June 6, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  22. Rob

Edwards is smart. Leaves his options open for 2012 when the Democrats try to win back the WH.

June 6, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  23. Chuck

Veronica,nj:

I fully agree with you with your comments. Let add to that the ever increasing "jobless rate."

June 6, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  24. Repub Jim

You democrats are really something. All you do is figure out ways to shoot yourself in the foot. You are finally done with the primary and have a chance to finally go after the republican candidate one on one and all you do is make news about the VP. All I hear on these blogs is how he should pick this person, and I am not voting for him if he picks that person. You shouldn't even be allowed to call yourselves a party.

June 6, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  25. GERALD STROTHER

TO BAD!!!!! BUT NO WAY FOR CLINTON TO BE HIS VP !!! THIS WOULD TAKE HIM DOWN AND MABEY THAT IS WHAT THE ARE THE CLINTONA IS TRYING TO DO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF OBAMA TAKE HER FOR VP .IT IS OVER FOR HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!