June 6th, 2008

Edwards again rules out VP job

Edwards says he doesn't want to be Obama's No. 2
Edwards says he doesn't want to be Obama's No. 2

(CNN) – It may be time to take John Edwards' name off the list of potential vice presidential candidates.

The former presidential candidate, who was the 2004 Democratic vice presidential nominee, continued to flatly maintain has no interest in the job. Traveling in Spain Friday, Edwards told two separate newspapers it’s not a role he is willing to take again. (Related: The rundown on Obama's VP possibilities)

“I already had the privilege of running for vice president in 2004, and I won't do it again," Edwards told El Mundo newspaper. He also made similar comments to El Pais.

The former North Carolina senator's comments are his first on VP speculation since Barack Obama officially clinched the Democratic nomination. Edwards, who ended his own bid in late January , endorsed the Illinois senator's White House bid in May, sending the political world abuzz that the two could team up on the same ticket. (WATCH: Edwards endorses Obama)

They appeared to have natural chemistry — something Edwards and then-Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry seemed to lack in 2004 — and the former North Carolina senator remains popular among a key demographic that has been reluctant to support Obama — working-class white voters. (WATCH: Edwards' motives for endorsement)

But Edwards immediately sought to quell rumors he was angling for the No. 2 spot, telling an interviewer shortly after his endorsement announced that it "Won't happen…. It's just not something I am interested in."

But he has been more coy about serving for Obama in other ways, specifically as his attorney general.

1. Bean

Pretty sure John wasn't going to be picked anyways... Guess he's opting out so he won't have to be rejected.

June 6, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  2. gary

YOU HATERS GET OVER IT. IF O.B. PICKS HRC ,ITS BECAUSE HE KNOWS SHE IS THE BEST . YOU KEEP HATING ON THE CLINTONS , YOUR CANIDATE O.B. WILL LOOSE EVERYTHING. UNITY IS PEACE AND TOGETHERNESS , NOT HATE WHAT YOU O.B. SUPPORTERS BRING. THATS WHY O.B. AND HRC MET SECRETLY. THEY DIDN'T WANT THE BIAS MEDIA ,OR YOU HATERS TO KNOW. ITS HIS DECISSION. IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR COUNTRY AND CANIDATE, YOU BETTER START GIVING CREDIT AND RESPECT WHERE ITS DO FOR (HRC) AND HER SUPPORTERS. O.B. KNOWS HE NEEDS HER AND MAY EVEN PUT BILL IN A CABINET,POSSIBLE FOREIGN AFFAIRS ,WHICH BILL CLINTON NOWS ALOT ABOUT. ITS TIME FOR YOU HATERS TO GET A LIFE AND GET PAST YUR BIAS, AND HATE. THIS COUNRY NEEDS BOTH HRC AND O.B. TOGETHER.

June 6, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  3. Ry in VA

To all of you brilliant political minds out there who say
    "HILLARY SHOULD RUN AS INDEPENDENT AND WIN!"

That is the worst idea I've ever heard.
    1) The general election would then probably go 30% Obama, 20% Clinton, 50% McCain. It would guarantee a McCain win.
    2) By thus ensuring a McCain win, the Democratic party would totally break all ties with her and she'd lose many an ally in her own future personal goals.

Best thing she can do is not run as VP (for many reasons) and tell her supports to back behind the democratic party and Obama.

Help Obama win and then Obama can put her in a high level position where she can make national-level change (maybe she can finish her goal of health care reform). It's her best bet.

Also, America, please don't be whiney kids and go voting for McCain if you don't see Hillary on a ticket. If you care about stances on issues and having similar minded people in positions of power (i.e. Democrat Obama can nominate Democrat Supreme Court Judges) then vote democrat and not republican to futher push old bush-era agendas.

The End.

June 6, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  4. GOP supporter

This whole VP pick for both parties will be like a chess game because it is quite important. And it should be. It may determine who gets elected! I already hear a lot of people aren't going to vote because THEIR candidate is not in the picture. Come on folks, get out there and vote!!!

June 6, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  5. abn71

Edwards! You know what? You're a gentleman. You back Obama because you've found him a Man, not pushed by selfish interests. Teach Hillary, too. Go Obama 08

June 6, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  6. Chuck

James above,

You sound like a white man refusing to vote for a black man regardless of intellignece, capabilities, common sense, good judgment, fairness and other many, many, good qualities, which are representative of Barack Obama.

June 6, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  7. John Smith

I DO not think Edwards would ever want to serve on a ticket with Hillary. As you might have observed during the primaries, Edwards felt much closer to Obama than to Hillary. My sense is that Edwards, Obama, Byden, and most of the others simply DO NOT share the values of the Clintons. These people know the Clintons very well, and none has come out to support her. They will never serve on a ticket with her. I share in their values, thus I will no longer support any Clinton in my life. They betrayed my trust and respect before they left office, and have continued to do the same!

June 6, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  8. Y in Austin

Can you people not spell?

'Loser' not 'looser'

'Lose' not 'loose'

Signed,

Hilari Klintin

June 6, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  9. FRANK

HE NEEDS TO PICK HILLARY OR HE ILL LOOSE, AS A HILLARY SUPORTER I WILL VOTE FOR MCCAIN IF SHE IS NOT ON THE TICKET!!

HILLARY 2012

OBAMA WILL LOOSE IN NOVEMBER IF HILLARY IS NOT ON THE TICKET!!

June 6, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  10. FactCheck

> HILLARY CAN COME BACK IN 4 YEARS AND WIN!

Funniest thing I read all year.

June 6, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  11. jay, NM

I tried to express my analysis on how Obama was going to be the nominee but CNN never published that. I'm fine with that as I cannot change their policy/agenda. Also, I don't think this one will be published.

Obamabots hate against Clinton is not going off. They're, not all, hot-headed and short-sighted. Then why is Obama begging for Clinton's supports. I don't think Clinton should jump on a sinking Obama-boat. Edwards know that very well. Try Richardsons, you'll get a minority ticket, recipe for disaster. Here goes Dems again!

June 6, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  12. JIM...TX

Too bad...Edwards was my first choice an this would have been a WINNING team.

June 6, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  13. AJ

Any first rate Democrat can see the writing on the wall and will stay as far away from Obama as possible. He will lose in the fall. Especially without the vote of millions of disillusioned democrats like myself who will not support him. The upside of it though, it should be fun to watch the republicans rip him and his wife to shreds during the coming months. Should be great entertainment!!

June 6, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  14. James in CO

And really thats what this election is about to me, Obama is but one man a figure head. What is more important to me is that by no means there are no remnants of the current adminstration, because if you don't think McCain wouldn't tap into the Bush admin your kidding yourself.

Obama and the Dems 08!

June 6, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  15. carolflowery

I understand that the "whitey" tape rumors are rampant
    so are the rumors of the choir director's murder from Trinity only in this past december, there are many many rumors
    now the proof will be in the pudding wont it, if they are not true, then
    they arent, if they are true, millions have be led on a blind race, all that money and all that momentum not even mentioning of the "historic"
    moment just made, I just find it troubling that this obama drama
    just will not go away. Maybe if it is once and for all silenced as lies and rumors only, then maybe i could have a little faith, but that said
    I feel like you cant write how you would stand with your Islamic brothers and then stand in front of the Jewish delegations and say you are 100% their friends as well, where is the line drawn? What is the truth, that is my issue with this man

June 6, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  16. Chido,College park, Georgia.

I support obama but still have some doubt about him overcoming republican machine this fall, if he faills, pat yourselves on the shoulder all his supporters who enjoy compromising his chances by allienating clintons supporter who would have voted for obama.If you really have any common sense as you all had claimed, you should understand by now that the stake has never been higher , obama is humble,patients and choses his words carefully ,here we have his suppoters creating havoc and causing mounting problems for him in the name of fans, do you guys really care about him the way you treat clinton and her supporters, guess not, he is for a change if you guys really understand what change is all about, if only you so called his zealous supporters know how much humiliation your comments have caused him. shame on you all,if you still have any sense I mean common one, you should help by bringing the party back as he has been tirelessly working on,House divided is a housed defeated.

June 6, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  17. esther

I'm disappointed, but he will make a great attorney general.

June 6, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  18. John W., Milwaukee, WI

Mr. Edwards has been saying this for many months now! Why do people keep asking?

Move on!

June 6, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  19. Joshua College Station Texas

Gosh I wish Edwards could be persuaded. He would be perfect! He's probably learned a lot since his last stint as a VP candidate, and he would do much better this time around. He's more polished, more confident, more bold, more knowledgeable. And of course he is able to attract important demographics Obama is not. They match each other so well.

C'mon Edwards, c'mon!

June 6, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  20. Connie from Logansport,IN

Good for you John Edwards, the next Attorney General of the United States under President Obama. OBAMA 08/12

Connie

June 6, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  21. Mario

I love John Edwards. For me too he will be A.G. I like Biden @ VP, Clark @ Defence and .. what about keeping Condy as Secretary of State?

June 6, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  22. baRACK THE VOTE!

ALL YOU SO CALLED HILLARY SUPPORTERS WHO ARE BASHING OBAMA NEED TO WAKE UP!!!!!!!! DO YOU THINK SHE WOULD REALLY SUPPORT YOUR IGNORRANCE? OR EVEN BE FLATTERED? WE AS DEMOCRATS NEED TO UNITE. COME NOVEMBER, YOU NEED TO ASK YOURSELF, CAN YOU SURVIVE 4 MORE YEARS OF "BUSH POLITICS". I DON'T THINK ANY OF US CAN.

SAY NO TO McCAIN!

June 6, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  23. Last Honest Man

Who would want that humiliation? OBIE's Running Mate?
    Your options must be limited!

June 6, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  24. Common sense

This makes it sound like Obama asked him and was rejected.

I say no to being Obama's VP. Is that news? Are you going to print a story for everyone who hasn't been offered the job, and says that they wouldn't do it?

June 6, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  25. Matthew

Edwards is hedging his bets. He doesn't want to team up with another loser and relive 2004 all over again. He's giving his support because it's popular in the party right now, but he knows BO won't hit the magic number of 270 in the electoral college.

June 6, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |