June 6th, 2008

Edwards again rules out VP job

Edwards says he doesn't want to be Obama's No. 2
Edwards says he doesn't want to be Obama's No. 2

(CNN) – It may be time to take John Edwards' name off the list of potential vice presidential candidates.

The former presidential candidate, who was the 2004 Democratic vice presidential nominee, continued to flatly maintain has no interest in the job. Traveling in Spain Friday, Edwards told two separate newspapers it’s not a role he is willing to take again. (Related: The rundown on Obama's VP possibilities)

“I already had the privilege of running for vice president in 2004, and I won't do it again," Edwards told El Mundo newspaper. He also made similar comments to El Pais.

The former North Carolina senator's comments are his first on VP speculation since Barack Obama officially clinched the Democratic nomination. Edwards, who ended his own bid in late January , endorsed the Illinois senator's White House bid in May, sending the political world abuzz that the two could team up on the same ticket. (WATCH: Edwards endorses Obama)

They appeared to have natural chemistry — something Edwards and then-Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry seemed to lack in 2004 — and the former North Carolina senator remains popular among a key demographic that has been reluctant to support Obama — working-class white voters. (WATCH: Edwards' motives for endorsement)

But Edwards immediately sought to quell rumors he was angling for the No. 2 spot, telling an interviewer shortly after his endorsement announced that it "Won't happen…. It's just not something I am interested in."

But he has been more coy about serving for Obama in other ways, specifically as his attorney general.

1. Charlotte

As a Clinton supporter, I sincerely hope she does not accept , if offered, to be his running mate. It might make me feel obligated to vote for him, and I really do not want to do that. If anything were to happen to him, his supporters would immediately imply she was behind it. We have a lot of racist hot heads in this country who may wish to harm him and I do not want her anywhere near him. She will ask us to support him and as much as I want to support her completely, I just have a gut feeling I cannot shake, about him and his true feelings about America. I will still write her name on my ballot in November as she is the person I feel can best serve this great nation.

June 6, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  2. Paula Diane

I do not trust Clinton.. no way. There is something sinister about her and she isn't done yet. Until that convention is over every move she makes must be watched carefully. The woman is unstable and still thinks she has won.
    I worry for Barack as it is the 40th anniversary of RFK's murder and his and Baracks platform is almost identical.. the big Washington machine isn't going to sit down quietly.Hillary and Bill will do and say and allow anything to happen to Obama to reach their dream. Be careful Barack!!
    Obama supporter in Canada

June 6, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  3. Don

John Edwards in everything that is wrong with this country. An ambulance chasing lawyer that cares nothing more then lining his pockets. It is a disgrace that people support him because he talks so much about two Americas when he and other lawyers are a large part of that reason there are.

June 6, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  4. Mischelle from Illinois

Edwards is a very nice man, but not the most thoughtful politician. he cound have dont a big favor to either candidate by announcing his support earlier than he did, at the very lease when his state held their primary....he, I believe was the "leader" of the pack of fools who pulled their names off of the Michigan ballot at the very last few days legally possible to do so...And for a photo op and to garner favor among Iowa Politicians....NOT SO SMART as we have all since discovered. What a stinky mess.....B.O. will always stink. he is not a authentic person, he cannot be trusted and that is all there is to it....I could give a cr@p if when he spoke gold flowed out of his mouth....I have good instincts and I say he is going down....This August/October surprise may be the bigger story for history than the fact that a black was the nominee...The Chicago cesspool of politics gives up her dead....they always float to the top like a bloated stinky carp....

June 6, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  5. Billion

JOhn Edwards if you read this. PLease be Obama's VP. You both are candidates of change and need to represent the US. Do it Edwards. Just do it.

June 6, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  6. Nicole in NE

That's too bad, I was really hoping for Edwards.

Since no one seems to be paying attention to this – THOSE WHO ARE PLANNING ON VOTING republican because of the DNC's ruling on MI & FL should know the RNC (Republicans) have those SAME rules!

This argument is completely ridiculous!

June 6, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  7. bill

Edwards knows Obama is too far left, too tax hungry, can't stand up to why he voted "present" one hundred times, can't make decisions as in refuting Wright and Ayers, has contributor skeletons and on and on. Obama enjoys that anyone calling him on his short comings will be called racist. Edwards feels the whole deal just stinks too much. Can you blame him for keeping his distance?

June 6, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  8. Adam - TX

He's knows its political suicide being on a ticket with Obama when they don't win in November. The party will give neither another shot since superdelegates basically had to elect the nominee.

June 6, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  9. Maggie Muggins From Selwyn

There are important roles within Obama's administration for people like Hillary & John Edwards. Many others will also be called on to apply their respective expertise in a position befitting their particular desires. This will likely include the likes of Chuck Hagel and others of his ilk.

When it comes to filling these important roles within a Republican administration McCain is severely limited to his field of Lobbists and current administration cronies and/or people of that same ilk. Look at all the experienced people Bush surrounded himself with for these important positions.

June 6, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  10. smokey

I also seriously doubt HC is really interested. in VP. She would be willing to serve in whatever capacity she is asked but I think there are other ways she can help.

There would always be tensions etc from this long campaign and who knows but HC may prefer to make another run in 2012 if BO is not succesful. There will undoubtedly be further issues for BO and these will come out as the General campaign advances, Yes, BO is a tremendous orator but he has such little experince and I am not convinced other than the young people he attracts, that a majority of the voters will support him in the General election. A lot of these young people are very idealistic and want tyo believe the spin.

June 6, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  11. Setemup

Too bad – he would be a good choice.

Obama/Albright '08!!

June 6, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  12. What if?

That's right Obama, Take care of business. Do what you need to do to make the changes that will help all people in this messed up economy, thanks to the republicans administration that have gain personal and financial wealth from the war in Iraq.

For those haters, It's sad that all you can say about Obama is he is untrusting worthy (Hillary broke rules, flip flop on important issues, acted as if she was sincerely concern about the voters in FL & MI) and he Thinks he can make change, with hatful and jealous people like the haters on this blog. I pray you get the opportunity to show up and show out! Giving us the chance to reach that American dream.

June 6, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  13. HILLARY WAS FORCED OUT BY SEXISM!!!

OBAMA DOES NOT DESERVE HER DELEGATES, SHE WON THEM!
    HER PEOPLE ARE SO BITTER ABOUT THE WAY SHE WAS TREATED, THAT WE WILL DO EVERY THING IN OUR POWER TO KEEP THIS UNINTELLIGENT LIAR OUT OF OFFICE!!

HE IS A FAKE AND WILL SCREW THIS COUNTRY UP FURTHER!!!!

GOD HELP US!

June 6, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  14. Olivia

Obama v McCain..........

Stop spreading rumors and go find a life. And get off Hillary's back, will you. If there's any stabbing to be done it seems you are the one poised to do it.

Personally, I will see what developes before making a choice.....but......I am a 100% Hillary supporter.

June 6, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  15. Marilyn

Good move, John. Obama will not have the support of moderate Democrats in November and will not win. You are wise to stay away from this November train wreck.

June 6, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  16. Ashamed

To any Obama supporters on these blogs: I was one of the Hillary supporters that said I'd vote McCain. I was wrong to say that and take a part in fanning the flames of hatred. I was frustrated, but that's definitely no excuse for my comments. Is there still room for me aboard the Obama train?

June 6, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  17. Herman In LA

Here is what I would do if the tape is out there and the Obama camp knows it's could be disclosed. First, I would beat the republicans to the punch and release the tape with Michelle offering an apology because after all the American people want change and is a forgiving nation and country.

Secondly, I would not give the republican the time to drop the bomb in the last month before the election. Right after he gets the nod for the democratic front runner after the DNC I would come out with the tape and setup an interview with Michelle Obama offering an apology.

Thirdly, we all say thing that we don't mean ask “Don Imus” and he was giving a second chance to come back to talk radio and so many other that have use racial slurs against blacks for years.

Finally, this is all the republicans may have and how they have divided us for years and that’s all they got and can use to attempt to dethrone the Obama train because of the failed policies of George Bush and the Iraq War and our failing economy and they are hoping that the enough white people fall for it again to keep them in power and continue the Bush administration failed policies but not this time.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me...

Obama 08

June 6, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  18. Cat in pa.

John Edwards doesn't want to be on loosing ticket again.

June 6, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  19. Jan from Boca Raton, Fl

Edwards is not a looser, and if he were to run with Obama as VP

he would loose as he did in 2004. If it weren't for Kerry Edwards
    should have been VP.

The ticket should be Clinton / Edwards

NEVER OBAMA
    NEVER MICHELLE AS FIRST LADY

June 6, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  20. Carl D.

You've got to respect John Edwards for his decision not to go the VP candidacy route again. There are other good alternatives out there, other than Hillary. If Obama, taps her for his No. 2, he'll have to add another job to his cabinet .... food tester.

June 6, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  21. seah

If Edwads would of stayed in, He would of been the new president.

Shame he dropped.

Even if he accepted the VP spot, I could never bring myself to vote for obama on the ballot.

June 6, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  22. Denny Sangiovanni

I hope he had a good $400 hair cut in Spain.

June 6, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  23. Michelle from Colorado

That is the smartest thing you have done all year! Thank you. I have more respect for Edwards than I ever have. I might look at you again in 2012 when I move back to the United States from Canada. We have no choice this year. Just the lesser of 2 evils.

June 6, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  24. former democrat

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO OBAMA CHOOSES AS HIS VP. I, ALONG WITH MILLIONS OF VOTERS, WILL RATHER SEE MCCAIN WIN THE ELECTION THAN A LIAR AND A HYPOCRITE. "CHANGE"??? YOU MEAN, "CHANGE' THIS COUNTRY'S SITUATION FROM BAD TO WORSE, RIGHT? OBAMA'S SUPPORTERS ARE IDIOTS, FOLLOWING HIM AND SWOONING OVER HIM, DYING TO TOUCH HIM AND SWOON AGAIN, NEVER TO QUESTION ALL THE CONTROVERSY THAT SURROUNDS HIM.

June 6, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  25. R In Midwest

The country would be lucky to have Sen. Edwards as the Attorney General. After what we have been through with Ashcroft and Gonzales, change would be gratefully accepted. Please Sen. Obama, utilize this great man as your A.G.

June 6, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |