June 6th, 2008

Edwards again rules out VP job

Edwards says he doesn't want to be Obama's No. 2
Edwards says he doesn't want to be Obama's No. 2

(CNN) – It may be time to take John Edwards' name off the list of potential vice presidential candidates.

The former presidential candidate, who was the 2004 Democratic vice presidential nominee, continued to flatly maintain has no interest in the job. Traveling in Spain Friday, Edwards told two separate newspapers it’s not a role he is willing to take again. (Related: The rundown on Obama's VP possibilities)

“I already had the privilege of running for vice president in 2004, and I won't do it again," Edwards told El Mundo newspaper. He also made similar comments to El Pais.

The former North Carolina senator's comments are his first on VP speculation since Barack Obama officially clinched the Democratic nomination. Edwards, who ended his own bid in late January , endorsed the Illinois senator's White House bid in May, sending the political world abuzz that the two could team up on the same ticket. (WATCH: Edwards endorses Obama)

They appeared to have natural chemistry — something Edwards and then-Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry seemed to lack in 2004 — and the former North Carolina senator remains popular among a key demographic that has been reluctant to support Obama — working-class white voters. (WATCH: Edwards' motives for endorsement)

But Edwards immediately sought to quell rumors he was angling for the No. 2 spot, telling an interviewer shortly after his endorsement announced that it "Won't happen…. It's just not something I am interested in."

But he has been more coy about serving for Obama in other ways, specifically as his attorney general.

1. broadstreet buddy

Thank god! he is bad luck. I still do not understand how anyone could have voted for bush in 2004. But since edwards did not even carry his own state going against the worst president in the history of the USA, good riddens to bad rubbish. He would however be a good Attorney General.

June 6, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  2. Nat

If there was some "surprise" that was already known, Hillary would have been an ultimate fool not to drop it when it mattered. And Obama should maintain about the same relationship to Clinton as McCain is maintaining to Bush. "Thank you for your support, but now go away."

June 6, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  3. Timber

What has this country come to?? I see a headline "Obama and Michelle bring fist bump into spotlight". WHAT!?! With all that is going on in the world we get this from the news? No wonder the world thinks we are idiots. What next "Obama sneezes and does not get a "bless you". Come on guys. What happened to issues?

June 6, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  4. Independent-Cuban-American-woman-voter-for-Obama

The fact is that people are usually asked once to run as VP, and Edwards was Kerry's running mate. John Edwards is a wonderful man, but people did not connect with him.

I am praying for Sen. Obama that the Lord will guy him with wisdom in making his decision.

My husband and I were discussing what position Hillary would be great at, we think she would make an excellent Secretary of State.

June 6, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  5. Veronica,nj

scary? jajaja

OBAMA 08!!!!

June 6, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  6. Sheila WA

Dear operation chaos posters, it's over. You lost. The Dems will unite and take over the WH and congress..

June 6, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  7. Cory in Little Rock

With all the speculation about who the VP will be, I have one thing to say...

THE DEMS ARE GOING TO BE STACKED ONCE WE GET TO THE WHITE HOUSE!

We have so many positive democratic leaders... Just think of any one of the other democractic candidates serving under Obama in some other capacity than POTUS.

OUR CABINET WILL BE FULL OF GREAT AMERICANS!

Clinton-Health and Human Services
    Edwards-Attorney General
    AND MANY MANY MORE!

Whoooo! I love it!

Dems '08

June 6, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  8. Fed Up

Wait until people see what Obama's plans really are, Edwards may not be the only one to say no to VP. Daniel Tarullo, Obama's senior economic adviser, just said on CNBC that Obama's health plan calls for all hospitals to join in and be compensated and regulated like the VA hospitals. Anyone ever stay in a VA hospital and have a GOOD experience? No thanks Obama, keep your socialist medicine

McCain in '08

June 6, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  9. Sara

How is that scary? You just made up a scenario in your head.

June 6, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  10. Justin

Good thing, too. What we need is gravitas, not good looks.

June 6, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  11. Denny Sangiovanni

Why don't just forget about Hillary?. She lost he won. Now for VP that's another thing. If she don't go as a VP he may not win in November.

June 6, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  12. Quincy

Colin Powell, Wesley Clark, or aq middle of the road republican

June 6, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  13. NJTd

Sadly, it just seems to me that there is just so much Clinton hate going on in these discussions. Here, this story was not on Hillary but John Edwards and people just can't stop hating on the woman. Seems to me, the loudest voices of dissent are Obama supporters who think they can win the election without the other half that didn't vote for him. They claim Hillary was divisive but even as Hillary makes concilliatory remarks toward Obama, his supporters are still spouting Clinton hate. I wish they would just stop it and look in the mirror before they accuse Hillary of being divisive.

June 6, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  14. WestCoast

I hope you become the Attorney General. John Edwards and Obama working together will make good things happen for this country!

June 6, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  15. Phil in KC

John Edwards would be a good choice for Attorney General. Wesley Clark for Secretary of Defense?

June 6, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  16. Stacy Clarks

A UNITED DEMOCRATIC PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 6, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  17. Peter FROM NJ

To the above writer Obama Vs McCain, your comment is not related to the article. If you are a democratic, why you still beating on Hillary?
    this is not a way to unified the party and be a good democratic.

June 6, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  18. Lynn

I was disappointed when he who suppose to believe in Universal Health Care did not support my candidate. If he would be on the ticket I would still not vote for Obama. God Bless Elizabeth – she is in my prayers. I met her in 2004 and beside my candidate I cannot think of anyone who is a greater inspiration to women.

June 6, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  19. Tracy from NYC

Everyone is worried about the VP slot but the only person that it really matters to is OBAMA.

It's like a man trying to pick a wife with everyone around him speculation on who he'll choose and giving their options. When he's the one who'll have to live with her and make a life. Let Obama choose in peace.

June 6, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  20. Olivia

PS........I liked John Edwards. I voted Kerry/Edwards in '04.

Now I can't stand Kerry for personal reasons and Edwards appears to want something badly from Obama. I feel that if Hillary looked as if she was going to be the nominee, he would have treated her the same way. So...is that being a real friend? Who knows.

June 6, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  21. FORMER DEM

I like john edwards but agree hes not a no 2 kinda guy, I beleive hilary is also not suited for vp. You dont want a stronger person than the president in the no 2 spot. I think he prob already promised it to richardson long ago. I think Hilary edwards would have been the much better choice overall. But it is what it is. It wouldnt surpise me if McCain dosent ask Hilary to be vp. He needs someone stronger than he on domestic issues.

June 6, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  22. sheep

OBAMA VS. MCCAIN.............this is what OBAMA is going to stop all the childish positions our country has gotten used to ..1 that i think is funny is the ellitost name ,,EVERYONE IN WASHINGTON D.C. fits the catagory is there is one ......But some adults never grow up and still like to call names .............the surprise for so many racists in this counrty will come at the polls in NOV. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm white and a women and I for one will be thrilled

June 6, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  23. Tracy from NYC

It's like a man trying to pick a wife with everyone around him speculating on who he'll choose and giving their options. When he's the one who'll have to live with her and make a life. Let Obama choose in peace.

June 6, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  24. catjax

Edwards is declining because he doesn't want to play second. We all know that he is much presidential than Obama. and also, doesn't want to be in the losing ticket again...

June 6, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  25. Sara McAtee

I do not trust Obama, or his naive, idealistic but unrealistic views and "Solutions".

With Hilary of the Ticket, This may be the one year that my vote does NOT cancel out my husband's...

Choose your VP's carefully.

Bluntly speaking? If Hilary isn't on the Ticket, you might as well chalk it up as two votes for McCain. -Because if I don't vote for Obama, that's exactly how it will add up.
    (And I know for a fact that I'm not the only one in the crowd...Caucus's don't reflect much. You're lucky if you get 1 percent to vote in them.)

June 6, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |