June 6th, 2008

Edwards again rules out VP job

Edwards says he doesn't want to be Obama's No. 2
Edwards says he doesn't want to be Obama's No. 2

(CNN) – It may be time to take John Edwards' name off the list of potential vice presidential candidates.

The former presidential candidate, who was the 2004 Democratic vice presidential nominee, continued to flatly maintain has no interest in the job. Traveling in Spain Friday, Edwards told two separate newspapers it’s not a role he is willing to take again. (Related: The rundown on Obama's VP possibilities)

“I already had the privilege of running for vice president in 2004, and I won't do it again," Edwards told El Mundo newspaper. He also made similar comments to El Pais.

The former North Carolina senator's comments are his first on VP speculation since Barack Obama officially clinched the Democratic nomination. Edwards, who ended his own bid in late January , endorsed the Illinois senator's White House bid in May, sending the political world abuzz that the two could team up on the same ticket. (WATCH: Edwards endorses Obama)

They appeared to have natural chemistry — something Edwards and then-Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry seemed to lack in 2004 — and the former North Carolina senator remains popular among a key demographic that has been reluctant to support Obama — working-class white voters. (WATCH: Edwards' motives for endorsement)

But Edwards immediately sought to quell rumors he was angling for the No. 2 spot, telling an interviewer shortly after his endorsement announced that it "Won't happen…. It's just not something I am interested in."

But he has been more coy about serving for Obama in other ways, specifically as his attorney general.

1. NO!

An Obama/Clinton ticket would STILL be an Obama ticket, and that would NEVER work for me. The ultra-liberal DNC and back-stabbing, rule-breaking superdelegates can have him (and are you also listening, Edwards?)

So, since Hillary Clinton (a MODERATE Democrat, like me) now seems to be out of the race for president, my money and vote go to Senator McCain, a MODERATE Republican. He is now the only genuinely "vetted" leader left in the general election.

And if ANY of you Obama folks think that OBAMA will end the Iraq war overnight, you are REALLY living in a dream world. He won't; he can't; nobody can – so it's just more empty rhetoric. It has to be done gradually and responsibly (at least Senator Clinton has ALWAYS used the word "responsibly." And by the way, just watch how THAT word will suddenly also become a part of Senator Obama's political lexicon.

Senator McCain is NOT George Bush. And if Bush were running right now, I would NOTHe is a genuine American hero and has seen the horrors of war first hand. HE will continue what is necessary - THE RIGHT WAY - to bring this war to a sound conclusion.

June 6, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  2. Mish

I admire John Edwards and his wife...however I think he wants a job with some meat on the bones and I think he would make a great ,honest and fair Attorney General !!!
    VP is an honorable position but the job should have more duties attached to it I think. Since the Presidents Job is so demanding and pressured , that way the VP could work on more of the issues they fought together on whether it be health care or the economy etc
    Obama for President 08

June 6, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  3. Sara McAtee of Minnesota

I do not trust Obama, or his naive, idealistic but unrealistic views and "Solutions".

With Hilary off of the Ticket, This may be the one year that my vote does NOT cancel out my husband's…

Choose your VP's carefully.

Bluntly speaking? If Hilary isn't on the Ticket, you might as well chalk it up as two votes for McCain. -Because if I don't vote for Obama, that's exactly how it will add up.
    (And I know for a fact that I'm not the only one in the crowd…Caucus's don't reflect much. You're lucky if you get 1 percent to vote in them.)

June 6, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  4. Sue

Its a shame, John Edwards would have been a great fit for the VP role.

June 6, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  5. Jose'

Good move Mr. Edwards. You've managed two failed runs for president, and a failed run at VP.

Why join another failed campaign?

June 6, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  6. Paul

Edwards is no dummy!!

June 6, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  7. Women for Obama 08!!!

John Edwards is a good person and a great public servant. I am sure he will serve Obama and this country well in whatever role he plays.

Can someone tell me what has happened to John Kerry? I have not heard or seen him well since 2004. Is he ok?

June 6, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  8. Not a puppet for Dems

You know Edwards suspended his candidacy as well. He didn't give up his delegates either until he endorsed Obama. He didn't get all this grief. She is just waiting to see what happens, which I think is smart. What IF the GOP were to find something about Obama that could really hurt him worse than any of this other stuff. The democratic party could ask her to come back if they are afraid Obama would loose. PRETTY SMART COOKIE. HILLARY DON'T GIVE THEM UP.

June 6, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  9. MD

Irrelevant since no one was going to ask.

June 6, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  10. Diane

To obaman vs mccain......nothing is scarey if a truth does come out about obama that will ruin his chance for the presidency. Afterall, the president of the United States is a very important position and anything that comes out truly negative about a candidate should be taken very seriously, especially in these troubled times. Don't be scared, be releived if there is truly something that it be discovered prior to any election.

June 6, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  11. Marc

I really wish Edwards would have accepted. With him the Obama ticket would have been unstoppable. He has a lot more talent than some of the more outspoken politicians and is very humble in his ways.

I think Clinton as a running mate and VP would be a mistake for Obama. She has shown poor judgment in not immediately acknowledging his victory after he won the number of required delegates. Several times during the campaign she choked or cracked under pressure by saying things she should not have. She entered the campaign with a sense of entitlement and has now paid the price for it.

Just a Canadian's view...

June 6, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  12. The Oracle

I don't think Edwards would be VP anyway. I think that'd be 2 senators with not alot of experience...

June 6, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  13. rumpusgoopus

Could we now please stop asking Edwards this question?

June 6, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  14. pakuna

I am so sick of hearing how obama and Hillary are two people who agree on most everything, magnified small and sometimes insignificant disagreements on policy. obama does not agree with Hillary's policy's. he has just spoken them so he could get the black people that would have voted for her to vote for him. I do not care what you say. My boss is a black woman who always agreed with Hillary's policy's. Then she comes in to work and states to us. I have Hillary on one hand and a black man on the other. who am I gonna vote for. Lets see here. Hillary, black man, Hillary, black cute man. I am gonna vote for the black man so I can be part of history. You all might as well get used to it. you will have a black president and the blacks will rule. I will NOT EVER vote for someone because of their gender or their color. Oh and by the way is it not nice that his preacher wright is NO LONGER RETIRED.

June 6, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  15. NO!

An Obama/Clinton ticket would STILL be an Obama ticket, and that would NEVER work for me. The ultra-liberal DNC and back-stabbing, rule-breaking superdelegates can have him (and that goes for you, too, Edward!)

Senator McCain is NOT George Bush. If Bush were running right now, I would NOT vote for him, just as I didn't the last 2 times. McCain is a genuine American hero and has seen the horrors of war first hand. HE will continue what is necessary - THE RIGHT WAY - to bring this war to a sound conclusion.

And what continues to annoy the heck out of me is that Senator Obama so dishonorably played on the theme that he didn't vote for the war. Of course not - he wasn't yet in the Senate when that vote took place. At least to me, pretty much eveything he has said has been that way. I think that's why people continue to say, "I just don't trust him."

June 6, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  16. Larry, Apex, North Carolina

GOOD!! Edwards is one of the phoniest guys around!! Obama can do a LOT better than this meatball!

June 6, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  17. bridgette

As bad as the Republicans wanted to run against Hilary they did everything but endorse her believe me they would have used whatever they had on Obama. They would use it now if they had it. She is not releasing her delegates because she is trying to get Obama or the DNC to pay off her debts. As rough and tough as Chicago politics are if there was some detrimental secret about Obama it would have been out already. So he is not the boogie man waiting too jump out and snatch your children.

And as far as VP as organized as this man's campaign seems too be I think that decision has been made already. It is not a coincidence within a day of winning the nomination he is out with Jim Webb in the appalacian mountains. He already has his choice. He is just letting the media and the publlic go through their speculation.

June 6, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  18. Tammy - KCMO

I'm not surprised but I'm sure Obama has a position that he is interested in waiting for him.

June 6, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  19. Proud1of 26% in WV

Obama's choice is as easy as ABC
    ANYONE
    BUT
    CLINTON

June 6, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  20. White/Black/Brown Veteran Brothers

Obama vs. McSame & Bush I tell you what if they had something they would have released it already don't you think. Those type of people don't wait to stab people in the back! Barack is so CLEAN that OXY Clean couldn't get him any cleaner!

Sillary is just plain GREEDY and full of RESENTMENT! She kind of reminds me of the old Looney Tunes cartoon where Daffy Duck finds a pearl and gets closed in an ostyer hugging on the pearl saying "IT'S MINE IT'S MINE IT'S ALL MINE!!!" lol Have you ever seen anyone not conceede like this??? Clinton it sure is not the brand it once was, lost a lot of cool points!!!

June 6, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  21. Obama '08

Edwards for Secretary of Health and Human Services.

June 6, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  22. Beth

I really hope he changes his mind. Obama-Edwards-that is the perfect ticket!!!

June 6, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  23. steve

Im an African American in PA this strange belief that Racism isn't a problem but people are saying they'd rather vote republican again than give Obama their vote? He and Clinton have pretty similar goals as far as being president so whats the deal. America's hypocritical way of thinking is surely going todig us a deeper hole than the crater we're already digging ourselves. The experience argument is completely invalid. Neither Mccain or Obama has been president before.Obama is a christian, but I actually hear people in Pennsylvania say he's a secret muslim, which is not only false but a clear case of fear ing something for no other reason than he doesnt "look like us". And a feakin' flag pin, c'mon i though adults were in charge! Every argument aginst Obama I've heard was juvenile at best. I would really love to feel like an equal citizen but this subversive climate of racism and christian extremism, is killing us. So All of you Idiotic clinton voters who want to see Mcbush in the white house, when the economy is worse than ever, gas is 7$ a gallon, and crime is at an all time high, make sure your looking into the mirror when you point that finger of blame!

June 6, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  24. Roger

Listen everyone, Obama and Clinton are talking. There is a good chance that we will have a joint ticket. I am originally a Hillary supporter. I won't vote for Obama unless Hillary is on the ticket. But if Hillary is on the ticket, and Obama supporters continue to bash Hillary, I will not vote for Obama.

June 6, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  25. Lauren

I don't blame him. With his wife fighting cancer, he needs to take the time and support her while she heals. He would be a great guy for the job, but I could see him serving well as attorney general.

June 6, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |