June 6th, 2008

Edwards again rules out VP job

Edwards says he doesn't want to be Obama's No. 2
Edwards says he doesn't want to be Obama's No. 2

(CNN) – It may be time to take John Edwards' name off the list of potential vice presidential candidates.

The former presidential candidate, who was the 2004 Democratic vice presidential nominee, continued to flatly maintain has no interest in the job. Traveling in Spain Friday, Edwards told two separate newspapers it’s not a role he is willing to take again. (Related: The rundown on Obama's VP possibilities)

“I already had the privilege of running for vice president in 2004, and I won't do it again," Edwards told El Mundo newspaper. He also made similar comments to El Pais.

The former North Carolina senator's comments are his first on VP speculation since Barack Obama officially clinched the Democratic nomination. Edwards, who ended his own bid in late January , endorsed the Illinois senator's White House bid in May, sending the political world abuzz that the two could team up on the same ticket. (WATCH: Edwards endorses Obama)

They appeared to have natural chemistry — something Edwards and then-Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry seemed to lack in 2004 — and the former North Carolina senator remains popular among a key demographic that has been reluctant to support Obama — working-class white voters. (WATCH: Edwards' motives for endorsement)

But Edwards immediately sought to quell rumors he was angling for the No. 2 spot, telling an interviewer shortly after his endorsement announced that it "Won't happen…. It's just not something I am interested in."

But he has been more coy about serving for Obama in other ways, specifically as his attorney general.

1. rumpusgoopus

Edwards, are you willing to be the VP? No, no, really, are you willing? Seriously now, are you willing? You can tell us. Tell me, are you willing to be the VP? Are you willing to be the VP? Are you willing to be the VP? Are you willing to be the VP? Are you willing to be the VP? Are you willing to be the VP? Are you willing to be the VP? Are you willing to be the VP? Are you willing to be the VP?

Okay now, is the media satisfied yet?

June 6, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  2. tic

Who asked him to be VP?

June 6, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  3. steve in St. Paul

Those Clinton supporters who say they will vote for McCain so that Clinton can get the presidency in 2012 go far to make me more mysogenistic than I have ever been. Vindictiveness, I think, is a trait that has developed in the woman to a far greater extent than it could ever evolve in the male. You see evidence of this in Clinton and her supporters appear to make it even more clear. Schoepenhauer had it right more than 100 years ago. I wish Clinton would disappear.

June 6, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  4. Casey

I think this is a good thing. The whole nature of this campaign – change, hope and something new – is key to its success.

I don't think Obama will pick Hillary, either. He'll either go big with a pick like Nebraska's Chuck Hagel to send a message about reaching across the aisle or go with Richardson, for his experience and the latino vote. The long shot is that he'll go with a woman like Missouri's Claire McCaskill or Sebelius of Kansas.

Whatever he does, I am certain he'll do it with great reflection and carefully weighing out all the pros and cons. That's what I like about this guy – he's shown he has what it takes to make important decisions.

June 6, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  5. John

Media/CNN/Supper delegates Just handed the nomination to Nobmama.
    He did not win it

June 6, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  6. D Murray

Thank you Sir, you have served your country well; and again thanks for endorsing Senator Obama "Yes we can".

June 6, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  7. Democrats Rule

He would be an AWESOME Attorney General and clean up the mess that is the U.S. Attorney's offices. I will say a prayer for that! Bless you Senator Edwards. Just remember, before we get excited about a cabinet we need to get President Obama elected (preferably by a LANDSLIDE). :)

June 6, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  8. emmy

can't wait for the big August surprise..hopw their is one so we can have Hillary back where she belongs..the elite superdelegates chose Obama..we chose Hillary for our nominee..we the people voted for her..and the DNC stole it from her

June 6, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  9. Dave W.

I think Obama has to pick a female VP. It is time for a woman to be in the White House and not as First Lady. This will give her 8 years to prove to the doubting men of America that she can be President. I think Hillary has too much baggage, including Bill, and their personalities don't seem to blend. I also can't see Hillary answering to anyone.

June 6, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  10. Samantha

That is very foolish of Edwards. He should be VP. Attorney General is not the right job for him. I don't see him in charge of the FBI. Very foolish.

June 6, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  11. Ben

John Edwards would be an ideal match. I also think someone from the Clinton camp but not Hillary herself should be considered. Maybe Elizabeth Edwards instead, she is well liked among the female groups. But really this is up to Obama to decide and the selector to accept. I will stand with his decision, there doesn't seem to be a lack in good people to choose from. Why aren't we seeing anything about who McCain is choosing? Oh that's right, there really isn't much to pick from.

June 6, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  12. Angela

it's hillary or i'm leaving the party

June 6, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  13. Kimber Grace

John Edwards is a good guy, but we absolutely loooooove Elizabeth at our house! I pray that one day she is completely cured of her illness and maybe then she can run for office...

June 6, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  14. WAMILELE

Good for him. Aye!!

June 6, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  15. Il voter

I thik Caroline Kennedy should consider herself for VP slot. She is white, she is woman and she is Kennedy.
    They can have all experianced secretaries to help. I am sure old Mccain will help with efforts to stop War and Clinton will be glad to help with healthcare and social security reforms.

June 6, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  16. Greg, Detroit MI

Get over yourself Obama v McCain. I highly doubt Hillary is still looking to be president. Why do you have to demonize her? I'm an Obama supporter, but talking about Hillary in this way is beyond disrespectful. If you had even an once of truth to what you're saying, we might listen to it. You're just here to inflame Hillary supporters to vote for McCain, luckily most of us won't buy into it.

June 6, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  17. Ann

Sorry, but shouldn't you be officially asked before you publicly deny something that was never offered to you. I find Mr. Edwards to be ambitious enough to want to be President, but with no personal cause or positioning to do so. He did not serve North Carolina as a senator, he rather immediately ran for President leaving our state without the representation he promised.

June 6, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  18. Army Wife

-to obama v mcain... June 6th , 2008 9:32 am ET:

and would you please tell us where you got that info???!!!!!!

June 6, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  19. White/Black/Brown Veteran Brothers

BTW Obama & Edwards look like a great match, too bad.... Young blood over old wrinkles any day! When I go back to Iraq or Afghan. would I rather have someone who's 75 yrs. old fighting next to me or someone 23 yrs. old? Enuff Said McCain will probably have to take afternoon naps just to get right!

Obama 08!!!

Obama will take the 3am calls and still be up ready to put in work by 7am!

June 6, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  20. Kate, Atlanta

Edwards will make a GREAT AG!! RFK is one of his heros, so it's a natural for him.

June 6, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  21. Lance

John Edwards would be a wonderful vp choice. He would also be a devastatingly effective advocate for America as its attorney general. He understands corporate excess, he's been fighting it for years. He would be perfect to take on all the constitutional excesses Bush has imposed as attorney general. I'll be happy to see him in any position in an Obama presidency. Together, the two of them could change the world.

June 6, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  22. The US abolishes century old clinton dynasty

he likes to work for the people, issues of poverty and others....

so i am sure he will be in teh administration.
    but

NO MORE CLINTONS please

June 6, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  23. Lynn

John is a great guy. I would have loved to see him as VP, but I respect his decision not to participate. I am, as always, amazed at his tact and seeming selflessness. All the best to him and his wonderful wife. :)

June 6, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  24. Texan for Obama

Talk about grace and character...the man is amazing.

Thank you John for knowing what you want and stating it. Thank you for having your Plan A and Plan B in place so the nation isn't left hanging. I know you will support Obama and the country will be stronger for it.

June 6, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  25. shirley

If Hillary had even just a litte personal integrity she would release her delegates instead of pretending to support the Democratic nominee while still manipulating voter's for the nomination. The Clinton's ambition far exceeds any goodwill they may have for the people of the Country.

June 6, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |