June 6th, 2008

CNN Poll: Majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP

A majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP.
A majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A majority of Democrats think Barack Obama should select Hillary Clinton as his running mate, according to a new national poll.

Fifty-four percent of registered Democrats questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll out Friday think Obama should name his rival as his running mate, with 43 percent saying no. The poll is the first national survey conducted since Senator Obama (D-Illinois) claimed the Democratic presidential nomination Tuesday night following the end of the primary season. Senator Clinton, D-New York, is expected to suspend her campaign and back Obama in a scheduled address Saturday. (View full poll results [PDF])

It seems men and women don’t see eye to eye on this question, with 60 percent of Democratic women saying Clinton should be named as Obama’s running mate. Only 46 percent of male Democrats agree, with 51 percent of them saying no. (WATCH: Panelists weigh McCain, Obama's VP options)

“What do women want, Sigmund Freud famously asked. The answer appears to be Clinton on the ticket. It’s pretty clear that many Democratic women are miffed and that Obama has to be very careful how he deals with Senator Clinton,” says CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider. (WATCH: The war over women voters)

If Obama names someone else as his running mate, 24 percent of those polled say Clinton should try to override that decision at the Democratic convention in Denver in August, with 75 percent saying no.

"Democrats would like Barack Obama to choose Hillary Clinton as his running mate, but they seem to recognize that it is his choice to make," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "Some will be disappointed if Obama does not pick Clinton, but not disappointed enough to want a floor fight at the convention."

The survey also found that the economy remains issue number one in the minds of Americans. Forty-two percent of those polled say that the economy will be the most important issue in the decision on the presidency. Iraq remains in second place in importance, at 24 percent, with health care at 12 percent.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted Wednesday and Thursday, with 921 registered voters, including 435 registered voters who describe themselves as Democrats or independents who lean Democratic. The sampling error for most results is plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

1. Stephen

Hillary VP, lose the GE (general election)

June 6, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  2. Veronica,nj

please!!!!! Let barack make the choice... IS HIS DESICION NOT YOURS CNN!!!

June 6, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  3. Sharon - NC

Why don't we allow Obama to choose his own running mate, without pressure from Hillary Clinton, or her surrogates, or proxies, or superdelegates, or caucus groups. He has to be able to trust and respect, and work day-to-day with this person. Also of some consideration may be the fleas he may get when he 'lies down' with the vice president.

June 6, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  4. KB from Chicago

I'm a McCain supporter but want to join this discussion. Although Hillary is like "finger nails on a chalkboard" to me and I would like to not see her on the ticket, I don't think it would be right for Obama not to at least ask her for the VP spot.

They ran too close of a race for her not to get an offer. He barely beat her.

June 6, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  5. Cindy,CA

Charlotte,
    I fully agree with you....I will add that if Hillary is on the ticket for VP she is put in the position to be the fall guy for any mistakes Obama might make. The media would jump all over her and blame her for anything that would go wrong. We are more than sick of all the media bashing of Hillary and she needs to stay far away from it.

June 6, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  6. Sabrina

If he wants to win he should- and don't think women won't leave the party and vote McCain Even Michelle Obama said she was not sure she could vote for Hillary, was she just going to stay home!!!! Oh and now you want us to unite, just reading Obama supporters comment is enough for me to vote McCain . I don't put to much stock in polls from MSNBC, they are just free campaigning for Obama and have been for Mos. Starting with Morning Joe... hrs and hrs of Clinton bashing. They should be called Obama Msnbc. We are women hear us roar!!!!!!

June 6, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  7. Gwen NC

the point is that the America gets what she needs and deserves. Who cares if Bill is around somewhere, aside from his personal misteps he's truthfully been one of the best presidents this country has ever had. Obama does need Hillary's supporters, whether he needs Hillary or Hillary needs him is a whole different issue. If she is not treated with the respect that she deserves and has not received by Obama supporters, media, DNC elite etc it will be disastrous for Obama and America. Remember, "HELL HATH NO FURY LIKE A WOMAN SCORNED", some will move beyond this and some won't. Women may just have to "take it like a man" and wait for another day to resume the fight. I'm willing to wait if I have to, I'm willing to lose ground for women if I have to until the right things are done the right way by the right people for the people.

June 6, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  8. Dee from CALI

OH PLEASE STOP IT! Enough with the Hillary as VP nonsense. IT AIN'T GONE HAPPEN!

And for all of those Democratic Traitors who are saying they will vote for McCain, yall are totally defeating what Hillary was fighting for in her campaign for the past 16months. Just plain STUPID if you vote for McCain over your own party. Shame Shame. You are totally disrespecting what Hillary fought for if you jump ship and vote for McCain. Stop the madness and support Obama.

OBAMA / Mark Warner – 2008 – 2012

June 6, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  9. Lola

No NO NO Clinton is not a good choice for VP. She has too much baggage – She is married to Bill (it would be unfair to have Obama to make his own choice – he is smart, and has selected a party of three to screen propective individuals that will fill the position and not have a lot of baggage and problems

June 6, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  10. Linda

Democrats want Senator Clinton for VP because they want to win the election. Obama does not stand a chance without her. For months I have been asking Obama supporters for their ideas on Obama's relationship to Rezko. No one knew who he was. Yesterday the man was indited. Believe me the Republicans do more research than the Obama supporters. And what's that old saying that behind every great man there stands a women? I don't think Michelle Obama fits the bill. She's added nothing but controvery to the race, plus she has shown herself to be a below-the-belt campaigner when she referred to Hillary as being unable to maintain her own house.

June 6, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  11. S Rice

You obviously didn't call me. As a democrat, I do not want to see that ticket. She and President Clinton only bring more baggage to the table. There are plenty of women and men to choose from with more qualifications that can bring more positives to the ticket. In addition, more reporting like yours only makes it impossible for Obama to choose Clinton.

June 6, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  12. DAVID

FOR THOSE WHO THINKS HILLARY CLINTON DOES NOT BRING CHANGE TO THE POLITICAL SYSTEM IN OUR COUNTRY NEEDS TO HAVE THEIR HEADS EXAMINED.

HAVING THE FIRST WOMAN PRESIDENT OR THE VP AT THIS POINT IS A REAL CHANGE- DUH!
    STOP THE SEXISM PEOPLE AFTER ALL YOU WERE ALL BORN OUT OF YOUR MOTHERS

June 6, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  13. Keith

This Democrat says no to Hillary as Obama's VP.

If Obama chooses Hillary as VP, and they win the election, Obama's administration will become a presidency of three: Obama, Hillary, AND Bill - Bill will always be there.

It is time to end 28 years of Bush/Clinton/Bush. It is time for a new America free of the control of these two families.

Let Obama choose his own VP in his own way according to his own timeline. (And if I had a say in the matter, I would suggest Jim Webb for VP.)

June 6, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  14. Joan Parker

I am an independent and would not like to see Hillary Clinton as vice president with Obama.

June 6, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  15. hypocrits all

STOP THE HATE NOW!

Or lose in Nov.

We will not telerate the continued trashing and bashing and dinigration and disrespect of the legitimate candidate who was cheated out of her win.

June 6, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  16. Jan, Knoxville, TN

PLEASE OBAMA, DO NOT PICK HILLLARY. She would destroy your Presidency. I am so happy for you!

June 6, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  17. Lola

Made an error – should have read (It would be unfair for Obama to try too impliment changes for this country and have to deal with the Clinton's drama)

June 6, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  18. Gwen NC

Obama supporters don't need to tell me what to do with my vote, I'm grown, I'm American, I have my own story and I can do as I see fit with my vote

June 6, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  19. LT

Who are they asking? Hillary supporters? Nobody I know thinks that is a good idea. I'm talking literally dozens of people that I know do not want Hillary to be Veep. And some of them are/were Hillary supporters.

June 6, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  20. Arnold (Woodland Hills)

I'm from California where Obama would surely win in November no matter who his VP would be but with regards to the rest of the United States, I think it's very important that he chooses Clinton to be his running mate if he wants to win in November. The combined force of Obama-Hillary in November will surely create a result equivalent to Reagan winning against Mondale in 1984. If he picks anyone else other than Hillary, American people may not trust that runnng mate and have the same performance like our current big time corrupt VP Dick Cheney and as a result would not vote at all.

Obama-Hillary is a sure winner.

June 6, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  21. hypocrits

Lets' see: the message is unity but the actions are cheating and hating and insulting your fellow democrats and the other Democratic leader?

June 6, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  22. Dal CA

Let OBAMA decide for himself who he wants on the ticket? Dream ticket or not.

June 6, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  23. Maxine

I am sorry, I don't want them on the same ticket, there are 8 of us in my office at work and not one of us want them on the same ticket, what majority are you talking with?????? It will never be his Presidency if she runs with him. And he has the greatness to do this w/o her.

June 6, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  24. Rich In Seattle

I think everyone understands that Obama wants time to make the right pick, well, everyone understands that except for the Press. Which even yesterday on CNN asked Obama the same question five times about picking a VP.

I don't blame Obama for ditching the press corp to meet with Hillary, and with how the press have been acting (and complaining like a bunch of little kids), I think he made the right move.

Clinton isn't pushing for Obama to pick her, the Press is so they have a story. Back off for a second you Presidential Paparazzi!

June 6, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |