June 6th, 2008

CNN Poll: Majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP

A majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP.
A majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A majority of Democrats think Barack Obama should select Hillary Clinton as his running mate, according to a new national poll.

Fifty-four percent of registered Democrats questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll out Friday think Obama should name his rival as his running mate, with 43 percent saying no. The poll is the first national survey conducted since Senator Obama (D-Illinois) claimed the Democratic presidential nomination Tuesday night following the end of the primary season. Senator Clinton, D-New York, is expected to suspend her campaign and back Obama in a scheduled address Saturday. (View full poll results [PDF])

It seems men and women don’t see eye to eye on this question, with 60 percent of Democratic women saying Clinton should be named as Obama’s running mate. Only 46 percent of male Democrats agree, with 51 percent of them saying no. (WATCH: Panelists weigh McCain, Obama's VP options)

“What do women want, Sigmund Freud famously asked. The answer appears to be Clinton on the ticket. It’s pretty clear that many Democratic women are miffed and that Obama has to be very careful how he deals with Senator Clinton,” says CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider. (WATCH: The war over women voters)

If Obama names someone else as his running mate, 24 percent of those polled say Clinton should try to override that decision at the Democratic convention in Denver in August, with 75 percent saying no.

"Democrats would like Barack Obama to choose Hillary Clinton as his running mate, but they seem to recognize that it is his choice to make," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "Some will be disappointed if Obama does not pick Clinton, but not disappointed enough to want a floor fight at the convention."

The survey also found that the economy remains issue number one in the minds of Americans. Forty-two percent of those polled say that the economy will be the most important issue in the decision on the presidency. Iraq remains in second place in importance, at 24 percent, with health care at 12 percent.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted Wednesday and Thursday, with 921 registered voters, including 435 registered voters who describe themselves as Democrats or independents who lean Democratic. The sampling error for most results is plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

1. WilKo

Senator Obama, as the presumptive Democratic nominee, should stick to his script, and proceed forth with the pragmatic, by the numbers approach to ultimately selecting his VP candidate. This is among the most important decisions he'll make prior to the election, one that we'll all have to contend with for the next four years, should he prevail in November. If Senator Clinton is sincere in her recent statements pertaining to the VP slot (i.e., that's Senator Obama's call), then the BEST way for her to ensure a victory in November is to fully, vocally and sincerely endorse, support and campaign for the Obama/? ticket from this point (Saturday, when she suspends her campaign) on through November.

June 6, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  2. Setemup

I don't think she's awful but I also don't think she would help.

Obama/Albright '08

June 6, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  3. texas outlaw

Peter of Oregon,
    I think your right, at the very least he needs to give her Universal Health Care. I think that would appease her and her supporters.
    It will also give her another chance to make history.
    Who knows, might even launch her to the WH when he is done.

June 6, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  4. Y in Austin

GC – Amen

I've registered the domain notboth dot com.

More to come...

June 6, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  5. tic

Choosing a VP is Obama's call, and you can bet Hillary knows and respects that. If I was Hillary I wouldn't change her seat in the senate, which she could hold for 20+ years more and then leave it to Chesea, for a shot at becoming a meaningless VP with Obama.

In the other hand Obama deserves space to make his case, his genuine complete case, to the electorate, including who he prefers as his back-up. In a fair play mood this is Obama's time in the Democratic Party to make his case before the US society, so Clinton should send clear signals that she is leaving the field wide open for Obama to make his approach to the basket. If he doesn't score, then she or anyone else could fairly claim possesion of the ball, but only if he doesn't score.

June 6, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  6. BB

I hope he does put her on the ticket

She will destroy any chance he has of winning!

Hillary is more dangerous to the US than Bin Laden

June 6, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  7. amtFresno,CA

In a word "NO" WH NO PLACE FOR CLINTONS!

8. doug

Obama has longed used "Change" as his theme. To put Hillary on the ticket would be a bigger farce than free ride to which the media gives Obama.

9. Travis

Hillary Clinton doesn't want to be VP; she's already done the job in her husband's administration, despite what you may think of Al Gore's title. Besides, Bill Clinton will not release his financial records, so it's a moot point anyway.

What she wants is to maintain sway over the party by forcing Obama to accept her terms for who the VP will eventually be (such as "don't choose a woman or my supporters will be pissed.") Clinton would serve herself and her party much better if she cut her losses, abandoned this extortionate track and just pledged her support. Otherwise she WILL end this election cycle as a political pariah with a shattered reputation.

10. hugues

give it up cnn,nobody want her as vp

11. Keisha

18 million voters can't all be wrong. Hillary has received more votes from real voters than almost anyone Obama can pick as his VP. And, besides, she has been fully vetted. Who can better serve the VP role of a "hatchet (wo)man"?

12. Lilac

A majority, really? Because no one I know wants Hillary Clinton anywhere near the White House (and I live in California).

13. aki

I DON'T THINK SO THIS IS A GOOD WAY TO DO IT .S OBAMA DON'T DO IT.

14. LYNETTE IN CA

Hillary cannot be the VP!!! It would be a monumental disaster! Also, I, for one, have never, ever been polled so I have to ask, who are they polling? Is it the same people over and over again? Seriously!

15. Susan Cusson, Mohave Valley, Arizona 86440

I think the news media has done a major dis-service to the public. Years ago they reported the news, not mold the news to their desire. What the hell has happened to us??? We the people need to get involved and take charge. It is our country and these news media have much explaining to do.Did they sell their souls for there paychecks. I am a nurse-so what if I gave less than my best care. Would the public stand for that? What is the problem. I am voting McCain. A former Dem!!!! Good bye Howard Dean and the DNC machine. You and the super-delegates will find out when the people vote you out.

16. TEXAS TRAIL DOG

TO Vincent Ammirato -You know it's has only been you Obama Supporters that have yelled racism in this election process. I think it is a bigger issue with you folks than us whites. NOW LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY; VOTING FOR OBAMA OR NOT VOTING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS RACE. HE IN MY MIND IS A VERY CORRUPT AND UN PREPARED MAN TO RUN A COUNTRY THAT IS A LEADER IN THE WORLD. I HAVE OFTEN SAID IN MY COMMENTS AND I AM A 51-YEAR VETERAN OF THE DEMOCRAT PARTY THAT I WOULD VOTEFOR GEN. COLIN POWELL IN A HEARTBEAT IF HE WAS RUNNING. BUT DON'T PLAY ON MY INTELLIGENCE AN CALL ME A RACIST. YES I AM WHITE. BUT, I AM ALSO SMART ENOUGH TO KNOW THERE ARE AS MANY UN-QUALIFIED WHITES AS THEY ARE AFRICAN AMERICANS THAT CAN'T RUN A COUNTRY SUCH AS THE U.S. GET OVER YOUR HATRED OF HILLARY AFTER ALL THIS IS THE SAME WOMAN WHO HAD YOUR INTEREST ALONG WITH BILL IN THE NINTIES. WHERE IS YOU RESPECT. WHAT DO YOU DO AFTER A FOOTBALL GAME. YOU SHAKE THE HANDS WITH THE WINNERS AND MOVE ON. IF YOU CAN NOT BE GRACEFUL TO THE LOSER THEN YOU ARE ALREADY OFF TO A DOOMED START. THIS HATRED THAT YOU FOLKS KEEP BRINGING UP AGAINST WHITES AND VICE VERSUS WITH THE WHITES HATING BLACKS NEED TO STOP. WE HAPPEN TO BE ALL GOD'S CHILDREN SO LET'S TRY TO ACT LIKE IT SHAKE HANDS AND COME OUT SAYING CONGRATULATIONS TO THE WINNER AND CONDOLENCES TO THE LOSER. NO MORE NAME CALLING FROM YOU PEOPLE, HILLARY DOES NOT DESERVE THAT ANY MORE THAN OBAMA DOES.

17. Tammy - KCMO

CNN when will you give up on trying to sway the voters minds and just start reporting the news as it is? I'm so fed up with the garbage you post out here I'm ready to look for another site to find the real news and not your made up news.

I think the majority of the people know that Clinton is not a good fit as nominee for VP.

18. mike prather

Kudos to the last email. CNN why are you still covering Hillary. Obama' the winner and let it Go. It's about Obama and who he want's not what hillary supporters want. I guarantee obama supporters are not saying Hillary. I can't partner closely with someone who dogged me for the last 2 months and now we are all honkeydoryy. I dont think so !!!! Choose Wisely Senator Obama. Hillary is not Change she is Establishment. Though i do respect her and what she's accomplished for the Party.

19. Frances

All You McCain democrats, my grandmother always told me: DON'T BITE OFF YOUR NOSE TO SPITE YOUR FACE. Having said that, why on earth would you guys pick the enemy over someone whose policies are not that far off from Hillary?
    Being a Obama supporter, I would be the first to tell you that I was livid by how Hillary ran her campaign but I'm not stupid. If I were Obama, I'd put Hillary on the ticket any day if it meant that I would lose most of her supporters. Wouldn't be worth the risk, if this is the case and only if. I'm sure by the time Obama's VP search team finishes their job, they will know what will be best for him and what negatives and/or positives he would be gaining from whomever he choses.

So as Obama says, let's just settle down people. This process takes time.

20. Jan Jimenez

Hillary for Vice President – That's what we the people voted for

21. Virginia Voter

GC in Virginia:

VERY well said. Best post/comment I've read in the Political Ticker to date.

22. Bushwhacked in Eugene, OR

Nobody included this woman in that poll. None of my friends, male or female, think it's right, either.

I would rather see her in the cabinet where she can do far more good than as VP. A VP needs to stay in the background, not overshadow the President. Can you see Hillary - much less Bill - doing that?

I will vote for Obama regardless of who he chooses as a running mate, but if it's Hillary, I won't be happy about it.

June 6, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  23. Independent for Obama

Independents for Obama don't want HRC to be VP, and neither do Republicans who will vote Obama. I would have to think long and hard about an Obama/Clinton vote – I'm not sure I could do it...

June 6, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  24. Tony, Indianapolis, IN

Well, I am NOT in that particular majority!!!!

June 6, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  25. Jane

NOT ME or anyone else I know....she is castrating and already Grampy McSame is using her talking points to attack Obama....
    also he would need Chelsea as a taste tester....

June 6, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |