June 6th, 2008

CNN Poll: Majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP

A majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP.
A majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A majority of Democrats think Barack Obama should select Hillary Clinton as his running mate, according to a new national poll.

Fifty-four percent of registered Democrats questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll out Friday think Obama should name his rival as his running mate, with 43 percent saying no. The poll is the first national survey conducted since Senator Obama (D-Illinois) claimed the Democratic presidential nomination Tuesday night following the end of the primary season. Senator Clinton, D-New York, is expected to suspend her campaign and back Obama in a scheduled address Saturday. (View full poll results [PDF])

It seems men and women don’t see eye to eye on this question, with 60 percent of Democratic women saying Clinton should be named as Obama’s running mate. Only 46 percent of male Democrats agree, with 51 percent of them saying no. (WATCH: Panelists weigh McCain, Obama's VP options)

“What do women want, Sigmund Freud famously asked. The answer appears to be Clinton on the ticket. It’s pretty clear that many Democratic women are miffed and that Obama has to be very careful how he deals with Senator Clinton,” says CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider. (WATCH: The war over women voters)

If Obama names someone else as his running mate, 24 percent of those polled say Clinton should try to override that decision at the Democratic convention in Denver in August, with 75 percent saying no.

"Democrats would like Barack Obama to choose Hillary Clinton as his running mate, but they seem to recognize that it is his choice to make," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "Some will be disappointed if Obama does not pick Clinton, but not disappointed enough to want a floor fight at the convention."

The survey also found that the economy remains issue number one in the minds of Americans. Forty-two percent of those polled say that the economy will be the most important issue in the decision on the presidency. Iraq remains in second place in importance, at 24 percent, with health care at 12 percent.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted Wednesday and Thursday, with 921 registered voters, including 435 registered voters who describe themselves as Democrats or independents who lean Democratic. The sampling error for most results is plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

1. Michael

Sorry, I'm one of the majority who DOESN'T want Hillary as VP.

Secretary of State, or maybe Democratic Majority leader perhaps.

BUT NOT VP.

June 6, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  2. Krystof

"many Democratic women are miffed"

Why should they be miffed at the fact that their candidate lost fair and square? They should be sad, yes, but I think that if Hill supporters have any anger, I want to know why, because the DNC gave her delegates from contests that weren't supposed to award any in the original rules. Even if we counted MI and FL in full votes, Obama would have been the nominee on Tuesday night.

I am confused as to why Hill supporters can be miffed – unless they are miffed that their candidate ran a poor campaign and simply lost...

June 6, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  3. Fav, Colorado

As much as I think it's a great idea that Clinton be the VP – I will still not cast my vote so long as Obama is on top of that ticket.

I will not abuse my right to vote, by voting for someone that does NOT offer a future to my beloved country.

If i see no options on that ballot i will not vote – it is that simple!

Obama and McCain are NO OPTIONS for this country! I wish you people would have seen that from the start!!!

I do not want to feel responsible for my country's downfall by voting for someone just because they say they can be president!

Mrs. Hillary R Clinton – I'm still backing you!

June 6, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  4. Rob

it would be the worst choice he could make – she represents the old way of doing business. the people that voted for her are democrats and will, once enough time has gone by coming to terms with the loss, will go to Obama.

June 6, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  5. Willam from Texas

I am a white male voter. Obama/Clinton is the only way to go for me. If she is not on the ticket, I will write her name in come election day.

June 6, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  6. stephanie, Washington

She deserves to be a vice president than anybody in the democrat party because she has more population than him but he leads about 120 pledge delegates than her. He has no choice because he must respect to the will of the people. If he doesn't pick her, how can he unite the party. If she was a nominee, she already decided to pick him. There are a lot of her supporters will vote for McCain in Nov according the exit poll. In order to unite his supporters must corporate with her supporters so democrat can win the general election. Put any personal feeling behind and work together as a team. The democrat party has a broken system and they need to fix it the future. If democrat system like republican, she would be a nominee. I think they also get rid off the caucus and only primary selection.

June 6, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  7. njvoter

I wasn't obviously in this poll but I will say this it's up to OBAMA. If he chooses her as a running mate I'll vote for both of them.

June 6, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  8. Bushwhacked in Eugene, OR

Just why do some of you say Hillary was mistreated? She was treated the same way any other candidate would have been treated, male or female. Isn't that the ultimate goal of feminism - equal treatment? Or do you think she should have been given some kind of break, treated like a lady instead of a presidential candidate just because she is a woman?

Makes no sense to me.
    UNITE in November.

June 6, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  9. Michelle from Colorado

I say No because he does not deserve her. Let him fight on his own and pick one of the cronies who supported him from the beginning. Besides, she can do better than that. I hope he falls on his face whether by losing the election or by making the mash out of his term as i am sure he will. Jimmy Carter. George Bush, Barack obama. They are all the same. Outsiders who think they can change things. W and Jimmy I guess didn't teach us any lessons.

June 6, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  10. Virginia Voter

rickG:

You (and a lot of others) say: "I cannot vote for Obama. I'm a Democrat and abhore the way Hillary was treated."

A couple questions, and I'm not trying to be snarky - I'm genuinely baffled by the sort of statement in your post:

(1) To what treatment, exactly, are you referring (examples)?

(2) How is Sen. Obama responsible for whatever examples you gave in answer to Question (1), above?

June 6, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  11. Mike in Columbus

GC from Virginia...

One of the best post I've seen here yet.

June 6, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  12. John

Change means change. It does not mean half change. In addition to that Hillary has demonstrated that she is really willing to say and do anything to be in power. that's kind of scary.

June 6, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  13. wthwah

NOT TRUE. I don't know who they asked, but everyone I speak to says if she's on the ticket, McCain gets their vote.

I will never vote for her, no matter what role she plays. In fact if he declares she'll get a cabinet spot, I may not vote for him.

If she's in, I'm out.

I hope Sen. Obama gets feedback from real America, not these fixed McClinton polls.

June 6, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  14. Former Democrat

i hope Hillary is not Barack's running mate. He'll drag her down with him when he loses in November. Hillary can run again in 2012 after we're all sick of McCain. By that time, Barack will be "organizing a community" somewhere or voting "present" in the Senate, which is about all he's good for.

June 6, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  15. Rj

People who are opposing this Dream Ticket are GOP scalawags and most of them are racists. These people are planning to stage an attack for Barrack Obama Presidency. Everything has been planned to destroy his image and will use race card against him but if Clinton is with him in the Ticket they will need to change their plans. They included Senator Clinton remarks and others to their plans.

These are GOP's dirty tactics to win in November!

We call on all democrats to join together and push for this "Dream Ticket" to win back the White House from the GOP.

Obama/Clinton '08

June 6, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  16. Topher

Who are they polling. I don't know one Dem that wants her anywhere near the Whitehouse with Bill after her last dog and pony show. I course the poll turned on women. A majority of the feminazi women out there who won't vote for Obama are still made that Hillary got outcampaigned and outsmarted.

June 6, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  17. from illinois...

hmm..let's see....she voted FOR the invasion and occupation of a sovereign country, and maintained that position until there was no capital to be gained from it; being pro-war, she would not hesitate to use nuclear weapons against Iran?; she voted to undermine the constitution and the bill of rights voting FOR that infamous PATRIOT ACT (far as I know...Kucinich was the only one of the dem candidates to actually have read it...–remember the debate question to Kucinich..."Why did you vote against the act", to which kucinich responded with the one answer none of the others could: "Because I Read it!"; Clinton is pro-death penalty, condones infidelity (now,THAT's really a feminist characteristic (sic) which says a lot about her character...No. Barack....if you truly are opposed to the war, you don't need clinton; if you truly are opposed to the Patriot Act, you do'nt need clinton; if you truly are against he death penalty, you don't need clinton...if you are for ANY of those, you clearly don't need my vote or the votes of any of those other 20 per cent of the population who were against that war from the inception or the 70 per cent plus who have come to see the light and are against it now...

June 6, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  18. jay, NM

Obama can offer but she should not join a sinking boat.

June 6, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  19. Bobby from Indiana

All of you posting are just Hillary-hating idiots!!!!!!! What else do you expect politics to play? I have decided that the only people posting on here are Hillary haters. Please remember that there are 18 MILLION PEOPLE who voted for Clinton so SOMEBODY IN THIS COUNTRY SUPPORTS HER!!!! I will be voting for Obama regardless in November but think about this all you retards posting...

You guys go on and say, "Oh i hate hillary supporters, saying they will vote for mccain if obama is the nominee. Hillary supporters aren't true democrats!!!"

Well this is what you idiots sound like,

"I will not vote for Obama if Hillary is on the ticket, how could he betray us like that." ummmmmmmmmmmmmm HELLO?!?!?!??! HILLARY IS A DEMOCRAT TOO!!!!!!!!!!! God!!! It's not like Obama will be choosing a republican as his VP. Remember, THYE VOTED FOR NEARLY THE SAME THINGS!!! THEY ARE BOTH DEMOCRATS!!!

All you IDIOTS posting are all about Obama and UNITY!!!!!! Well UNIFY and accept Obama AND Clinton. They're BOTH DEMOCRATS!!!!

June 6, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  20. mark

Stay away from Billary! The only reason he'd pick her is to get elected. So much for his message of "change". The Clinton's belong in the "Waffle House", not the White House.

June 6, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  21. Sideburns

Obama has already won the Democratic nomination... He's running in the GENERAL ELECTION now, and the fact is that the majority of Americans (Hillary's vast right-wing conspiracy) don't want Hillary as Vice President.

Seriously, why do Presidents always choose creepy weirdos as their Veeps? Reagan had Bush I and Bush Jr has Cheney.

Choose someone who'd make a good President for once!

June 6, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  22. Michele, Oregon

It would be interesting to poll Independents. Having worked on the Obama campaign, most of the Ind. polled stated they would not vote for a ticket that included Clinton. Look at Montana where the demographics were not necessarily his, but Barack won handily because it was an open primary (no Clinton votes to him, but Independent and Republican crossover votes) which is more indicative of the general. Now add to that the portion of the Clinton supporters who will vote for Obama in the fall.....

These polls and the margins of error, I don't know......Things are still too heated and need to calm down.

Obama does need to consider Hillary of course, but my hope is that she accepts a cabinet position. She would be great and could effect change on the national level.

For the common good, Obama/and his choice 08!!!!!!

June 6, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  23. Deana

I don't. I want her to go away, quickly.

I also don't think it's fair for Barack supporters to pay for her debts, since she is completely responsible for them.

I won't be sending any more money to Barack or the DNC in case that money is used for Hillary Rodham Clinton, whom I despise.

When she goes away, I will give more money to the campaign. As long as she's in the picture, my money will stay where it is.

June 6, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  24. Jon, Pittsburgh, PA

I think it's funny that people think there is this animosity between Obama and Clinton. Why do you think that? Because the media has told you? Politics is politics.

I think underneath it all, they like each other personally. They agree on most issues. They receive strong support from most Democrats. Campaigns are tough at times. They say things for effect to get votes. They are trying to win. It's called competition.

I don't believe there is any animosity between them. I have thought for a long time that together they would be unstoppable.

June 6, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  25. CATHY

I don't want hallary as VP.I'm nat voting fo obama I;m writting her name in.

June 6, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |