June 6th, 2008

CNN Poll: Majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP

A majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP.
A majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A majority of Democrats think Barack Obama should select Hillary Clinton as his running mate, according to a new national poll.

Fifty-four percent of registered Democrats questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll out Friday think Obama should name his rival as his running mate, with 43 percent saying no. The poll is the first national survey conducted since Senator Obama (D-Illinois) claimed the Democratic presidential nomination Tuesday night following the end of the primary season. Senator Clinton, D-New York, is expected to suspend her campaign and back Obama in a scheduled address Saturday. (View full poll results [PDF])

It seems men and women don’t see eye to eye on this question, with 60 percent of Democratic women saying Clinton should be named as Obama’s running mate. Only 46 percent of male Democrats agree, with 51 percent of them saying no. (WATCH: Panelists weigh McCain, Obama's VP options)

“What do women want, Sigmund Freud famously asked. The answer appears to be Clinton on the ticket. It’s pretty clear that many Democratic women are miffed and that Obama has to be very careful how he deals with Senator Clinton,” says CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider. (WATCH: The war over women voters)

If Obama names someone else as his running mate, 24 percent of those polled say Clinton should try to override that decision at the Democratic convention in Denver in August, with 75 percent saying no.

"Democrats would like Barack Obama to choose Hillary Clinton as his running mate, but they seem to recognize that it is his choice to make," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "Some will be disappointed if Obama does not pick Clinton, but not disappointed enough to want a floor fight at the convention."

The survey also found that the economy remains issue number one in the minds of Americans. Forty-two percent of those polled say that the economy will be the most important issue in the decision on the presidency. Iraq remains in second place in importance, at 24 percent, with health care at 12 percent.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted Wednesday and Thursday, with 921 registered voters, including 435 registered voters who describe themselves as Democrats or independents who lean Democratic. The sampling error for most results is plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

1. Isaac

I want to see him pick somebody else for Veep just to prove to you guys that Obama CAN win without Hillary on the ticket.

And if he doesn't, then oh well. Guess you'll be happy with McCain as he continues to send America down the toilet.

June 6, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  2. Erica, Atlanta

Everyone knows if this were the other way around...NO ONE would be making these suggestions. They would expect him to go someplace and sit down. And the same should go for her. SHE IS NOT ENTITLED TO ANYTHING.

June 6, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  3. Jim from Seattle

this is easy:

CNN= Clintons....Never....NEVER!!!!!

si se puede, 08/12

June 6, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  4. Karen

The consititutions does not define VP by majority vote but by presidential nominee's choice. What do you want CNN?

June 6, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  5. Staci, LA

Clinton brings to much BAGGAGE. Barack was gracious enough to not bring out any of her or Bill's dirty laundry. Do not think that the Republicans will not. They were praying she would get the nod. Also, for all you feminist, I am amazed at what you will do for the name of WOMAN. You will vote for a man who will send your sons and possibly daughters to war. I believe that he would invoke the draft as crazy as he is...also he calls his wife a C- and is against a woman's right to choose. You guys need to think long and hard. I am an Obama supporter and female. If he had lost it would have taken everything in me to vote for her, but I would have. I can not see McCain appointing judges like Scalia, and he WILL.

June 6, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  6. Raymond Duke

I guess if that is what they want , go for it. I don't really believe that story . I think it is a fabricated story by the DNC. I can't see Hillary's voters wanting her to be on the ticket as vp . They have been called racist, uneducated and told if they are female they are lower than "well you know what I mean". If the women vote for Obama after the way the media and their pundits treated them then they need to go down and join thay fundemental mormon group because that is how the Obama campagin treated them and thinks of them. If they vote for that man they get what they deserve. I know that most of the blue collar men will have to much pride to vote for a man who said they were uninteeligent ,religious gun toting racist. White men have their pride so I guess we will have to wait and see what kind of pride the white female voter has.

June 6, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  7. Paulettejr

I have NEVER been polled. Will someone PLEASE poll me! I vote NO to Clinton on the ticket!

June 6, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  8. ATLian

How can you have a running mate who has told the public that you are an elitist and unelectable, that has no experience but she and your rival do? Thast has told the public that you are out of touch and don't have the same values that they do? How do you explain that?

June 6, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  9. Rich

Frankly, I think Hillary should get a cabinet post or prehaps a nomination to the Supreme Court. Definitely NOT VP. I heard Z. Brezinski today say that if Hillary was VP, there would be a "Gov't in exile and/or a Gov't in waiting" in the executive office bldg, undermining whatever Obama did.

I'd also like to point out that one of the things about Hillary is her "all about me" approach to things. Look at her message to supporters about the end of the campaign. Count the number of I, me and my's in that message. She must break the "I" key on her keyboard regularly!

June 6, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  10. karen charlottesville, va

I think this is Obama's decision and he'lll make the right one after fully vetting all the candidates. Bill Clinton's business dealings ought to be fully scrutinized so we don't end up with another Haliburton or something even worse that compromises national security.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Lani Davis wants to impale Obama on the spear of this VP drive. If Obama caves in, it will be political suicide for him. Leave him alone and let's see what he does.

June 6, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  11. Hoang, UC Berkeley

Many Obama supporters have bashed Hillary's for deciding to stay home, write in Hillary's name on the ballots, or even vote for McCain. The thing is that you don't understand. This is a Presidential Election. You don't vote for a party; you vote for a president. It does not matter whether Obama is from the Democratic Party, nor does he have similar plans with Hillary. WHEN YOU VOTE FOR A PRESIDENT, YOU VOTE FOR THE PERSON YOU TRUST, YOU VOTE FOR THE PERSON YOU THINK THAT WILL DO THE BEST JOB, YOU VOTE FOR THE PERSON WHO CAN LEAD THE COUNTRY, AND FINALLY BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY YOU VOTE FOR THE PERSON WHO THINKs FAST AND ACTs FAST TO PROTECT YOU WHEN AN EMMERGENCY OCCURS. As a typical Hillary's supporter, I DON'T THINK AND DON'T BELIEVE THAT OBAMA IS THAT PERSON. I'm gonna write in Hillay anyway. I'M NOT VOTING FOR A PARTY; I'M VOTING FOR A PRESIDENT.

June 6, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  12. WA

How do we know if those 18 million people voting for her was the ones that Rush Limbaugh told to go vote. You would think with 18 million voters support as she claim, she would not be in debt. Ask them to help her get out of debt.

This is Obama's choice and he should NOT be pressured into picking her. Please Obama, do NOT be deceived.

June 6, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  13. Amber

Heck yeah we do!!! These two together are UNSTOPPABLE. They will smashhhhhhhhhhhh the Republicans! But apart, its too big of a gamble.

They're so cute together too. When they whisper to each other, it makes me wonder what brilliant stategies they are trading!

OBAMA/CLINTON 2008

June 6, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  14. B. Churchill

If Hillary isn't on the ticket I will vote for more war, more poverty, no healthcare reform, sky-high gas prices, no environmental regulation, no banking/mortgage/credit card law reform, mountains of debt, and no women's right to choose – it's worth it to me to push our nation deeper into the crapper, for my children to have more arsenic in their drinking water, more acid rain, less educational opportunity, and more bigotry. That'll show 'em how rational I am!

June 6, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  15. FG

Obama will make his decision when he is ready. It will be what he feels he needs to support him in his bid for the white house and whom he can work with when he arrives. I do feel it would be tough for him to bring Hillary and Bill back to the white house. I do think it would be great to have her championing something like health insurance and working for him and the party.

June 6, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  16. Karen

I loved the comments from GC from Virginia. I am one of the women profoundly disappointed that Clinton is not the winner. As I young girl I was told that anyone could be president–anyone but a woman. I do not agree that both candidates faced the same biases, however, as the war against women is much more culturally entrenched and hidden. It makes us look good to chose a Black, because we can pat ourselves on the back that we're not racist. Obama was/is an ambitious man who saw an opportunity and capitalized on it. A woman does not get a fair shake, nothing close to a fair shake, and being male always trumps race. Waiting through my lifetime of 64 years to see some changes is painful at best.
    All this aside, I agree with GC from Virginia and I'd like to take his/her high road, but I have reservations. The Republicans will do more to hurt women and it appears to make no sense to support them, but when you've waited as long as women have, and when being sensible hasn't gotten you anywhere, it is tempting to stay home on election day and let Republicans and idol worshipers (Obama supporters) fight it out.
    If only the nasty statements about the Clintons and Hillary would stop, we might be able to heal, but it's hard to walk away from the constant insults without wanting to fight back.
    Hillary Clinton is not Bill, and it degrades her and all her accomplishments to continually say that running her as VP would mean Bill would tag along. Give the woman more credit than that. Until these nasty statements (e.g., George Will's latest column) end, I, for one, can't make a switch to Obama. I'd like to see Hillary as VP, and I think it's the only way to heal these deep hurts, to acknowledge the uphill battle she waged and the many many people who voted for her. She would strengthen the ticket if Obama is willing to try a little humility and work together. It doesn't mean old politics to have Hillary. After all, she's the only one of the bunch who actually has a real health care plan equal to what the rest of the developed world enjoys–how is that old thinking? Obama's plan sells out to the health care corporations. Obama is a pawn of Eastern politicians–e.g., putting a Kennedy with no political experience on his VP selection committee. I wonder what he agreed to do to get the Kennedy/Kerry endorsements so early on.

On and on, anyhow, you won't bring women like me into the fold until we get some redress on the ugliness of the campaign, and it's time to face that fact. Hillary as VP might have an impact on healing the deep wounds.

June 6, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  17. Oregon calling -

Don't forget operation chaos. I would make a wager that the main ones that said that they would vote for McCain are the majority of that group. That would be about 25 – 30%.(imo).
    I have it on very good authority that (believe it or not) Idaho will go blue and vote for Obama in Nov. Yippee!!!! Please think about all of the open primaries and caucuses that Obama has won in usually red states, these can not be discounted.
    Where I believe that Sen Clinton will do the most good for our party is in the Supreme Court, we need a fighter like her there to rain in what the current administration has done. And she could also put the hammer down with respect to the rights of us ordinary people. Don’t let Roe v Wade be over-turned!!!
    Congrats Sen. Obama. Please think of the true Dems when making your decision, we want to turn the page. When asked my 84 grandmother if it should be a joint ticket, her comment surprised me, No way in hell (and she was a former Rep) but went on to say that the Supreme Court would be a great place for the fighter in Hillary.
    On to the People's House @ 1600 in DC :-)

June 6, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  18. The Clear Thinking Indepedent

A Vice President should be someone ...

1.) that can be tusted to work with the President as a partner when he/she deems it appropriate.
    2.) that the President can delegate tasks to, and be confident that they will get completed as he/she wants them to be completed.
    3.) that can GUARANTEE the President a huge electoral state that she/she would not otherwise get.
    4.) ready to be president if something should happent to the President
    5.) that mutes McCain's claim of wisdom, experience, and the superficiall allure of his POW status.
    6.) someone that pulls on white men in the south.
    7.) Smart enough and yet smooth enough to show up McCain and his running mate in the debates.
    8.) would allow Obama to be the 1st presendient since Reagan to have a sitting VP elected president to continue the legacy.

I wonder how many of these "Democratic" respondents have actual criteria for a VP and have really thought this through?

June 6, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  19. SophieL

"There is more at stake here than bruised feelings or support for an individual. There are jobs. There are homes. There are families. There are lives. Please don't make the wrong choice."

We've been trying to tell you that for over a year. You didn't listen. We made the right choice, you joined a movement. Go on, keep believing that all the Republican votes he got were crossovers! Go on, keep believing he can win the general when he barely squeaked by in the primary. He had money, he had the media, he has the Democratic party elite, yet he doesn't have enough of the Democratic people. The GE is and election, not a caucus.

If you want to win, put her on the ticket. Otherwise, you're right: It's over. No reason for me to vote again until 2012.

June 6, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  20. Sharon MA

Of course Obama should choose Hillary. 18million people chose Hillary. Is he just going to ignore that she actually WON the popular vote, but due to the craziness of "delegates" Obama wins the nomination.

The one thing that worries me about Obama is this church deal. He was with that church for 20 years, and only now is he stepping away from their views. Racisim is not just white against black'; it is also black against white. I prefer to remain neutral and view people by their actions. But, 90% of colored people chose Obama. Reverse racisim is "ok" in this society.

Just sticking to the facts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

June 6, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  21. Hnic

If Hillary goes as VP, obama supporters AND independants will walk. Obama won the nomination with Dem support and with independant support. Hillary's support is mostly within the party. Hillary's presence would altimately make a lotof independants not vote. Obama should take his chances and select someone else, even a moderate republican like sen. Chuck Hagel. Obama's campaign demonstrates his desire the become bi-partisan, while Hillary's campaign was mostly partisan. Hillary's perceived "experience" would get shot down like a scud missle in the general election. BUT, having Hillary appointed as a judge to the Supreme Court allows her to keep the power forever, and preserve the Clinton legazy. That's all she ever wanted anyway, that and a check for $30 Mllion....

Obama/Hagel '08

June 6, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  22. KPA

What women are they asking? I want the best qualified that his committee comes up with! I really question her loyalty to him as she still has not dropped out the race for whatever reason. There may be a hidden agenda, may-be not, but her behavior makes me think twice about making her VP. If they pick her from a panel, then so be it, but I think everyone on the list should be carefully weighed including HC.

June 6, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  23. Suzanne Schecker

would you people give it a rest. Isn't there anything going on in the world, wars, tonadoes, unemployment, that you could focus on.
    When's the last time you did any actual researc hand reporting ...
    This is pathetic. Obama said he'll let you know who his VP is when he tells you. Nobody cares about your polls or how many people want you think want her on the ticket. Obama and his supporters don't. Let it go. How many weeks news are you going to squeeze out of non issue.

June 6, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  24. dd from Texas

Well, I think we have to look at this as a marriage. Would you marry someone with whom you are not comfortable with, or trust, or have a REAL connection with? The answer is NO.

If the two Senators do not fit as professional partners, then who are we to tell them that they MUST merge. Hillary can hold a place in Obama's cabinet and still help bring the party together.
    We really need to think about this – statistically most marriages don't last when their is not a common connection.

Let Senator Obama and Senator Clinton decide if it will be in "THEIR" best interests and for the democratic party.

We just need to let this run it's course.

June 6, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  25. Dave

Poll the independents... the number that want her as vp would be very low.

June 6, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |