June 6th, 2008

CNN Poll: Majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP

A majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP.
A majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A majority of Democrats think Barack Obama should select Hillary Clinton as his running mate, according to a new national poll.

Fifty-four percent of registered Democrats questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll out Friday think Obama should name his rival as his running mate, with 43 percent saying no. The poll is the first national survey conducted since Senator Obama (D-Illinois) claimed the Democratic presidential nomination Tuesday night following the end of the primary season. Senator Clinton, D-New York, is expected to suspend her campaign and back Obama in a scheduled address Saturday. (View full poll results [PDF])

It seems men and women don’t see eye to eye on this question, with 60 percent of Democratic women saying Clinton should be named as Obama’s running mate. Only 46 percent of male Democrats agree, with 51 percent of them saying no. (WATCH: Panelists weigh McCain, Obama's VP options)

“What do women want, Sigmund Freud famously asked. The answer appears to be Clinton on the ticket. It’s pretty clear that many Democratic women are miffed and that Obama has to be very careful how he deals with Senator Clinton,” says CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider. (WATCH: The war over women voters)

If Obama names someone else as his running mate, 24 percent of those polled say Clinton should try to override that decision at the Democratic convention in Denver in August, with 75 percent saying no.

"Democrats would like Barack Obama to choose Hillary Clinton as his running mate, but they seem to recognize that it is his choice to make," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "Some will be disappointed if Obama does not pick Clinton, but not disappointed enough to want a floor fight at the convention."

The survey also found that the economy remains issue number one in the minds of Americans. Forty-two percent of those polled say that the economy will be the most important issue in the decision on the presidency. Iraq remains in second place in importance, at 24 percent, with health care at 12 percent.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted Wednesday and Thursday, with 921 registered voters, including 435 registered voters who describe themselves as Democrats or independents who lean Democratic. The sampling error for most results is plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

1. Get-it-right

It will be a balanced ticket if Next-President Obama chooses Senator Hillary as a running mate. Hillary will deliver her 'traditional supporters' which is very critical to Dems winning in fall against McCain. The team will definately be a 'formidable' one.

June 6, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  2. Joe

If women are miffed because Obama beat their candidate fair and square, then they can vote for McCain and have their some of their rights and freedoms stripped away.

They'll come to a realization the grave error they would make by letting McCain into office.

June 6, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  3. Jessica

I just wanted to say that both Senator Clinton and Senator Obama ran a great campaign and I'm proud of both of them for taking the road less traveled. No matter who you voted for, both of them deserve to be heard and understood. I voted for Obama, but I respect Clinton because of what she has done and will continue to do. I respect every person who cast there vote, even if it does not reflect my own believes. I ask everyone to take this message to heart: Every vote does count and it does matter. I look forward to working with all the Clinton supports and hearing you out to find a middle ground.

June 6, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  4. GC from Virginia

To Hillary Supporters:

There sure are a lot of idiots that post on these blogs. There are a lot of idiots on both sides. Some of the things I see from Obama supporters make me cringe, as do some of the things I see from Clinton supporters. But recently I've been seeing this sentiment a lot: "I'm a Clinton supporter, but I will not vote for Obama. My candidate was dragged through the mud, and her supporters constantly belittle us. It's time we make a statement and show the Democratic party how we feel…."

I'd like to respond with two points. First, I think it's completely inappropriate to judge a candidate by a small sample of his/her supporters. Obama was endorsed by Hamas, but he did not ask for it (originally, they've now disavowed their support). Certainly he does not share their views. We've all seen the videos of people in WV and KY saying they could never vote for a black man….but that doesn't make Hillary a racist. And I'm sure almost all militant white supremacists will be voting for McCain, but that doesn't make him one. The point is – these candidates cannot control what their supporters say, and they don't choose who supports them. It is unfair to judge them on that basis. Please do not do so.

Second, I sympathize with your desire to make a statement….especially with the women who feel that this election has embodied the social prejudices females as a group have faced in this country. Though I think the challenges Obama faced as a black man were of equal severity, I agree that Clinton was given a rough treatment. I think, however, what she has accomplished will prove to have made a great positive impact. Make no mistake: There will be a woman president (my sense is that Clinton will actually be that woman).

So voting against Obama to make a statement will actually do a great disservice to Clinton and her legacy. She will tell you the same thing. A vote for McCain is a vote for the deaths of thousands more men and women in Iraq. It's a vote to end a woman's right to choose. It's a vote to continue the foreclosure crisis and put more families in streets. It's a vote to give more money and power to big business and special interests. It's a vote to keep American jobs overseas. It's a vote to keep millions without healthcare. It's a vote for many things. But it is not a vote for the interests of women, or any other of your candidates ideals. A vote for McCain will make your life worse, and that's a guarantee.

I respect your right to make a statement. I completely recognize your power to dictate the results of this election. And I understand that you feel the Democratic Party no longer reflects your values. But does the alternative? Do you think Republicans will ever choose a woman as their nominee? Do you honestly think their values, and values of their supporters (the likes of Rush Limbaugh and Anne Coulter) are more in line with yours than the DNC's? Because they aren't. Just please realize the consequences of your choice. There is more at stake here than bruised feelings or support for an individual. There are jobs. There are homes. There are families. There are lives. Please don't make the wrong choice.

Now, if any one out there can make a clear, policy-based argument that justifies why a Clinton supporter prefers McCain over Obama, I'd be open to it. After all, I voted for Clinton in my state's primary.

June 6, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  5. Ted from Florida

Obama has already had the male vote the woman vote is what he needs in the general election .I'm a Obama supporter but I hope the main objective here is to get the wite house back .

June 6, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  6. TB, California

A Clinton/Obama ticket would be suicide! Too much animosity between them. Besides, Obama has been speaking about turning the page, moving forward not going backwards. Change is at the forefront of his campaign and with the Clintons, you get old politics, going backwards and staying exactly the same. They are like oil and water and Bill would would be coming with the package. A bad idea. He can win without her and select someone who doesn't come with all the baggage that she has. The Republicans will have a field day with her. And frankly, how can he put someone on the ticket, who played the race card over and over again. How can you put someone on the ticket saying that his campaign is based on a speech made in 2004. How can you put someone on the ticket who tries to link you to the Hamas. And he should trust her? I think not! She bullied, sucker-punched and disrespected him at every turn. And lastly, she couldn't even congratulate him on Tuesday June 3, when it was all over. Even if she wasn't ready to concede she just couldn't let him have his night.
    She is not a master of "the high road".

June 6, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  7. Stupid poll

Don't foreget about the 4.5 sampling error. In other words, most democrates do not want this.

June 6, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  8. Farrell, Houston, Tx

There is no rush for Obama to make his choice. Also, there are some very qualified individuals other than Hillary, but I'll be happy whoever Obama may pick.

June 6, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  9. Leaveher out

Stay away from her. She is suspending her campaign not ending it? Is this blackmail or not?

June 6, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  10. jfs Memhis, Tn

Really doesn't make a difference......Obama picks the VP not the democratic voters. His judgement is what counts...not the party members. That's why he is the nominee. I'm sure he appreciates the HEADS-UP though.

June 6, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  11. R.O.B.

I'm voting democrat in November regardless of who the VP is. I'm sure a lot of other people feel the same way. I'd rather Ross Perot win the election than have another 4 years of a Republican controlled White House.

June 6, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  12. FL

My god that's Senator Obama's decision stop with the VP and don't pressure him, give him time the same time you gave Hillary Clinton

June 6, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  13. king from toronto

cnn!! are you kiddin me?? now you join in on the, put hillary on the ticket game."amazin".

June 6, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  14. leslie

It is the nominee's decision. I wish you respect his request and stop polling. The data is flawed with primary just over 3 days ago. Wow, move on.

June 6, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  15. Sean

This means nothing. Obama and Clinton had split the majority of Democratic voters, and this poll just reflects that. All of Clintons supporters want her on the ticket. The majority of Obama supporters don't feel the same way.

June 6, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  16. George

That would be the first weak move of an Obama candidacy. After these silly emotions die down, women will no more want a token woman VP than they would a token Black President. Obama is better served withour Hillary on his ticket. She is not the victor, therefore she has no say so in how the spolis are divided.

June 6, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  17. Becky in Indiana

I don't want Clinton to be VP so who exactly did they poll???

June 6, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  18. Dr. Johnny Skeptic

No way. That's a load of hot steaming horse hockey. These poll takers are about as deluded as Hillary and her supporters.

June 6, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  19. JJ

I'm a female and I don't want wish to see Clinton on the ticket. Please stop doing these polls and bringing up the VP spot. Obama has already said people need to settle down and the choice will be his and his alone. Stop it already!

June 6, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  20. Linda, Chandler AZ

Nobody asked THIS democrat....and my answer is NO!

June 6, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  21. Jen

Of course, the poll will say so because Hillary is the most well-known name out there. However, good decision is not through poll-testing.

June 6, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  22. Matt

I'm not sure Obama will be able to effectively govern with Clinton on the ticket. President Clinton is far too much a wild card for this to work.

June 6, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  23. Bill G

Fight on Hillary!!! You're not done yet. Your 18 million voters are still with you.

June 6, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  24. BC

Please tell me why he should add her deceitful self on the ticket??? These people are just acting on emotion and not thinking logically. I will not vote for Obama if she is on the ticket and I'm a male.

June 6, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  25. sam

Let the VP process continue.
    Don't show polls like that.
    It is a disgrace when Democrates participate in this kind of polling. Even if 99% say, it is stil Obama's choice.

June 6, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |