June 6th, 2008

CNN Poll: Majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP

A majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP.
A majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A majority of Democrats think Barack Obama should select Hillary Clinton as his running mate, according to a new national poll.

Fifty-four percent of registered Democrats questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll out Friday think Obama should name his rival as his running mate, with 43 percent saying no. The poll is the first national survey conducted since Senator Obama (D-Illinois) claimed the Democratic presidential nomination Tuesday night following the end of the primary season. Senator Clinton, D-New York, is expected to suspend her campaign and back Obama in a scheduled address Saturday. (View full poll results [PDF])

It seems men and women don’t see eye to eye on this question, with 60 percent of Democratic women saying Clinton should be named as Obama’s running mate. Only 46 percent of male Democrats agree, with 51 percent of them saying no. (WATCH: Panelists weigh McCain, Obama's VP options)

“What do women want, Sigmund Freud famously asked. The answer appears to be Clinton on the ticket. It’s pretty clear that many Democratic women are miffed and that Obama has to be very careful how he deals with Senator Clinton,” says CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider. (WATCH: The war over women voters)

If Obama names someone else as his running mate, 24 percent of those polled say Clinton should try to override that decision at the Democratic convention in Denver in August, with 75 percent saying no.

"Democrats would like Barack Obama to choose Hillary Clinton as his running mate, but they seem to recognize that it is his choice to make," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "Some will be disappointed if Obama does not pick Clinton, but not disappointed enough to want a floor fight at the convention."

The survey also found that the economy remains issue number one in the minds of Americans. Forty-two percent of those polled say that the economy will be the most important issue in the decision on the presidency. Iraq remains in second place in importance, at 24 percent, with health care at 12 percent.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted Wednesday and Thursday, with 921 registered voters, including 435 registered voters who describe themselves as Democrats or independents who lean Democratic. The sampling error for most results is plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

1. michaelmee

I think, in terms of getting the most electoral votes, Hillary should be on the ticket. But I also think Obama wins without her on the ticket, so he can choose whoever he wants.

June 6, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  2. cody

This is an important and difficult decision. I'm an Obama supporter, and I lost some respect for the Clintons during the last few months, but if he chooses her, I will be 110% behind both of them. They are both talented and moral people.

June 6, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  3. anna

I did not support Clinton, but I do support the notion of an Obama-Clinton ticket for one main reason: To unite the Democrats if we are to win the White House. But certain conditions must be met for that to happen. Clinton needs to know her role and she or Bill must not try to overshadow Obama. Michelle (and others like me) need to humble ourselves and understand that we are doing this for the country–not ourselves. The bottom line is we can't just ignore the 18M who voted for Clinton.

June 6, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  4. Bob

Please stop talking about this. This is all that's been on the ticker for the last 3 days. It is Obama's choice and he will pick a qualified and strategic partner as his running mate based on his committee's educated suggestion.

June 6, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  5. 62 year old white woman

I am a registered Democrat, 62-year old white woman, who definitely DOES NOT want Hillary on the the ticket. We need a change from the "Washington Politics As Usual". Hillary is part of the "old guard". Bring on something new.

6. Bonnie L. Bowden

NOOOOOO...he needs to have his own choice for his own reasons I can think of alot of other people who would be better...like Richardson.

7. NoMcSame

To me it really doesn't matter to me, I supported Obama but all I want for Thanksgiving this year is a Democratic win and the pleasure of knowing that our men and women are going to began to come home from that hell hole called Iraq.
    McSame must be beat.

8. Y

I don't think the media and pollsters are showing any respect to Obama when they put these polls out. The VP is not an elected position, it's appointed and it's personal. I pray Obama does not bow to the unjust pressure.

Obama/Obama '08

9. Daina

Please advise Obama NOT to pick Clinton for VP.
    She is a wonderfule person, but that will not work. That is a nigtmare, not a dream.

10. Mrs.L

I agree with Becky who did they poll?

Some of your articles are insulting and ridiculous.

Really? Who are you polling?

11. Deb, Iowa

I think ONLY the Clinton supporters want her on the ticket.

12. Venus

To: CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Once again Bill Schneider------ please look at our polls:

98% of us are tired of you and this Hillary crap and VP! Should I break down the color, gender, states and age?

Give it up Bill! Hillary will not be on the ticket!!! Also - I am so sick of your lousy polls! You are the one behind the curtains that's fanning a lot of this negative crap!

Also – tired of hearing how Obama have to be kind to Hillary (Rocky) and what he needs to do! Stop acting like voters are kids! They will either vote for Obama or Mc Cain! But Obama is not going to allow them to strong arm him or us!

I HOPE your polling job is over now and your job with CNN!

13. No More Clintons, CA

The Clintons' huge NEGATIVE UNFAVORATE RATINGS will SINK any of the Obama hope for the White House!

The Clintons will TARNISH Obama's fresh clean messages of new Washington.

The Clintons will only build their own power instead of working for President Obama!

What a STUPID FOOLISH idea!

14. Chief

Wolf Blitzer did the polls. He is such a hater.

15. Hill or bust

Yea!!!

Do it!!

When Obama curls up in the fetal position after realizing he's in over his head, she can take over!!!

We need Hillary to get us out of Iraq!

We need Hillary to end tax cuts to the richest 1%!!

AMERICA needs Hillary to get us on the right track!!

16. Jim

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO.... BARACK DO NOT DO IT. It will undermine all you have campaigned for...... NO, NO, NO, NO.

17. Ron L

IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN !!!
    And one of the reasons is the IMPLIED pressure to make it happen.
    But the MAIN reason it is not going to happen is MANY of the ACTIONS and WORDS that Hillary used in her campaign are in DIRECT CONFLICT with what Barack has and will stand for in the future.
    Hillary represents a lot of the things that are WRONG with our Politicians. For every Hillary supporter Barack would gain he would lose 1 or 2 independent and/or so-called Reagan Democrat...FOR A NET LOST!!!
    As stated before...IT WON'T HAPPEN!!!

18. Jenny from IN

I really think it would be unwise. It would isolate moderates and independents. Look, most of the people polled there haven't actually thought it through for what it would mean for OBAMA. Most of the people polled are Clinton supporters who just want her in the White House. It's not a smart move. Clinton is not easy to work with, she won't take being vice president, she will try and make it co-president, she'll want a position for Bill too, which would really hinder Obama's ability to have civility in his cabinet, and she doesn't offer anything to the table that Obama does not already have or could not get from someone else. Obama could pick someone who really brings to the White House was Americans think he is missing, and Clinton's attributes are not what he's missing.

There is one person who is absolutely PERFECT to be his VP. And it's not Edwards. But I'm not going to say who, because I don't want to jinx it :).

19. Anne

Americans…Please Let Go of Your Anger and move towards a better America, through understanding. Anger will get you nowhere fast.

I so don't understand the angry people on these blogs….You criticize the Rev. Wrights, Louis Farrakhans of the worlds for their opinions, but I find your hatred/anger just as bad if not worse.

People have wished candidates dead, compared wives toGorillas and other animals…wow, I just don't understand.

20. Lisa in MD

Exactly! Just WHO did they poll??? I'm a Dem and I sure don't want Clinton as VP – too much baggage (Bill, Monica, Whitewater, etc)

21. Bola Muyis

People we should not kid ourselves. Barack will not win without Hillary. It's just common sense. Hillary haters really need to stop. They would be unstoppable together.

Barack / Hillary 08

22. Tasha Rainey

As a woman, I do NOT want Clinton on the ticket. What real experience does she have? First Lady doesn't count. She has been in the senate since 2001. Obama's senate experience goes back to 1997. What foreign relations expertise does she bring? She can help with universal healthcare. What else? What does Hillary Clinton bring to an Obama presidential ticket?

June 6, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  23. minnesota grandmother

No-one has asked me. I'm a 60 year old white grandmother and I say...chillout! Let the process work as it supposed to work. It's his choice. He's the nominee and he's one that has to work with whoever the VP is. You want a President that has good judgment and who makes good decisions. Let him alone to make them.

June 6, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  24. Ian in Boulder

Not this dem, thank you very much. My wife is even more adamant in her opposition to Clinton as VP.
    Have a great weekend.

June 6, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  25. CJ

As a Clinton supporter, I am simply amazed at how much hate has been directed at her. I think she would make a fine VP but recognize it's Obama's choice to make. If Obama's supporters don't find a way to make peace with Clinton and her supporters, we will get McCain as President and have 4 more years of Bush policies...

June 6, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |