June 6th, 2008

CNN Poll: Majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP

A majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP.
A majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A majority of Democrats think Barack Obama should select Hillary Clinton as his running mate, according to a new national poll.

Fifty-four percent of registered Democrats questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll out Friday think Obama should name his rival as his running mate, with 43 percent saying no. The poll is the first national survey conducted since Senator Obama (D-Illinois) claimed the Democratic presidential nomination Tuesday night following the end of the primary season. Senator Clinton, D-New York, is expected to suspend her campaign and back Obama in a scheduled address Saturday. (View full poll results [PDF])

It seems men and women don’t see eye to eye on this question, with 60 percent of Democratic women saying Clinton should be named as Obama’s running mate. Only 46 percent of male Democrats agree, with 51 percent of them saying no. (WATCH: Panelists weigh McCain, Obama's VP options)

“What do women want, Sigmund Freud famously asked. The answer appears to be Clinton on the ticket. It’s pretty clear that many Democratic women are miffed and that Obama has to be very careful how he deals with Senator Clinton,” says CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider. (WATCH: The war over women voters)

If Obama names someone else as his running mate, 24 percent of those polled say Clinton should try to override that decision at the Democratic convention in Denver in August, with 75 percent saying no.

"Democrats would like Barack Obama to choose Hillary Clinton as his running mate, but they seem to recognize that it is his choice to make," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "Some will be disappointed if Obama does not pick Clinton, but not disappointed enough to want a floor fight at the convention."

The survey also found that the economy remains issue number one in the minds of Americans. Forty-two percent of those polled say that the economy will be the most important issue in the decision on the presidency. Iraq remains in second place in importance, at 24 percent, with health care at 12 percent.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted Wednesday and Thursday, with 921 registered voters, including 435 registered voters who describe themselves as Democrats or independents who lean Democratic. The sampling error for most results is plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

1. An American

I don't want Clinton as VP who are they asking?

June 6, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  2. William, from Cali

Women are too "Emotional", they sometimes think; with their hearts, and not their "Brain"..........that could be "dangerously costly", in the end..............................

June 6, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  3. Bill, Streamwood, IL

Putting Hillary Clinton in the No. 2 slot would be the supreme waste of a very talented and qualified lady.

She would be much more effective and useful to the Dems as member of Obama's cabinet, should he be elected president.

Senator Obama needs someone to balance the ticket and Joe Bidden would be an excellent choice.

June 6, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  4. A Latte Lover, Seattle, WA

I'll go along with whomever Senator Obama picks. I trust his judgment!!! If he feels Senator Clinton is the best pick for VP, then GREAT!!!!! Ultimately, it is up to him!!!

June 6, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  5. Jackie from Minneapolis

I want to believe that it would be a good idea, but given some of her past comments and actions, I am just not sure. I don't know if he can really trust that she will play second chairt. I would also be concerned that she was always secretly hoping that he would be shot and killed. I do think they could win, but I know that they would lose support from both Obama and HRC supporters. His supporters want change and hers think he is right, whether it's is experience or because he is a black man (people always seem to forget, his is half white as well) Obama has a very, very difficult decision to make in the next couple of months. He is a very intelligent person and I am sure he will do what is best for the overall good of the party. I think it is extremely important to get a Democrat in the White House. This country can't tolerate another 4 years of Bush/McCain blunders.

June 6, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  6. Voting Obama

I am voting for Obama regardless!! I love his style and what he wants to do for change. Honestly, I think that people need to stop demanding him. People have to understand that he is going to do what is best for us. All this negativity needs to stop and let the democrats work it out. I am not up for the dream ticket.I do believe that HRC brought alot of negativity. It was about her sex, it wasn't even about the people, it was about HRC. No disrespect to her. But it is true.

June 6, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  7. Bill

Senator Clinton is a strong US Senator, which carried over to make her a strong candidate during the primaries. The Dems will need strong members in the Senate and the House when the White House goes over to the Dems. Hillary will be most instrumental to the party in the Senate.

8. roscoe

Do you think that of the 54% that believe HRC should be the VP is comprised of 95% HRC supporters and 5% BO supporters ??? !! How do the other 95% BO supporters feel??

9. Xavier, St. Louis, MO

This is truly a decision Obama has to make. Personally, Clinton don't bring anything to the table, regarding Obama's direction, message and turning the page from Washington's old politics. She underminds everything his campaign is about. That's like Batman picking the Joker over all of the available Robins to fight crime with.

However, if picking her would secure the November election, then that's something to consider.

Note Clintonites: If Obama picks Hillary, the Republicans are not going to be nice to Hillary like Obama was. They will dig up everything on her. So Clintonites, don't be surprise when all her dirt begins to surface.

10. Patty Don't

No we don't. Wolf want it. Even a Clinton supporter i spoke to this morning thinks its a bad idea.

CNN please let this idea die just as those in the process have let it go.

11. LaShawnda

Get real! Who are you talking to, your staff and anchors! We don't want Hillary as VP. She's out of this, stop trying to get her back in. Disgusting! You call this journalism?!?!?!

12. Andy

99% of the comments I have seen on the this subject say they are against Hillary being VP. Your pole is very suspect. I seems to me that the news media, including CNN, CBS, ABC....are all pushing for Hillary to be VP. What's up with that? Let Obama makes his own choice without all the pressure.

13. Chi4Obama

CNN,
    I have never trusted your "Poll of Polls". But I guess they always make for good speculative headlines.

But nonetheless, I am voting "Democrat" regardless of who Barack choses as his VP. In fact, he could choose Geraldine Ferraro as his running mate. And guess what, I would still prefer that ticket over John Mcshame and company.

Democrats United

14. ???

My question to female voters is why Hillary? She isn't the strongest/smartest/best female candidate out there. Yes, she is the only one that ran, but if you are going for a VP or a write-in why not pick a better woman than Hillary, which 65% do not trust, and that's of her supporters!

15. David

Are you kidding me? Which poll is this? I have talked to no one who think this is a good idea. If she can't admit she lost the day of Obama's victoy because she's too stubborn, how will she ever take orders from him. Especially when she's always going to have in the back of her mind that she should be the President. Do people really think Bill is going to sit in the White House and take orders from someone? Especially the person who beat his wife?

16. Peggy

Putting Hillary on the ticket is the only way I will vote for Obama!

17. independent

yeah, especially if obama wants to win! it's dangerous to underestimate how many of us really, honestly love hillary because of her record of public service. i like obama too and will vote for him regardless, but we need MOST of hillary's votes in november against mccain.

it would also be the perfect proof that obama is true to his message of unity, which right now there is plenty of reason to doubt.

18. Kathy

The most ridiculous idea in progress. Obama will win in November with the votes of Democrats-Independents-Republicans, if he takes Hill-Bill he gonna have to make it only with Democrats votes, which is impossible.

19. brad

STOP BEATING THIS DEAD HORSE!!!!!! OBAMA WILL PICK WHOMEVER HE THINKS WILL WORK WELL WITH HIS VISION. I would expect the same should Hillary be the nominee.

20. Ann Marie

This is like taking a poll asking people who should marry who? This is none of our business and we should have no influences over Obamas decision. The VP position has nothing to do with us; it has everything to do with the person who has to live with their decision for the next 8 years. How dare they take a poll.

June 6, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  21. Cuacus = Peer pressure fest!

I don't. She should have been the nominee, and even in defeat she looks far more presidential and stronger than Obama. Her own party stabbed her in the back after what her and her husband did for the party. She should just take a vacation and return to the senate and prepare to run in 2012 against the incumbent McCain. This campaign has been all about everything that isn't important for this country, and this Hillary supporter will be casting a vote for McCain this November.

22. NG in DC

They didn't poll this man - my vote is YES! Obama/Clinton .... or McCain gets my vote in 08.

June 6, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  23. Lauren

I wasn't asked...

Obama will pick who he feels he can work well with and can make a huge impact on our country. And I don't think Clinton and him will work well together. She doesn't truly want the back seat. I don't see it happening.

Obama/Gore

June 6, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  24. Patty

I'm a woman and poll or no poll, I don't want Clinton on the ticket! How is she about change?

June 6, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  25. David L., Enfield, CT

You have got to be kidding. I don't believe that poll for a second.

My family, friends, and many co-workers have gone from Hillary and Bill fans to despising them. That is not an overstatement.

He dirty campaigning and her lack of integrity and ethics have forever tarnished her image among educated voters. Obama retained his dignity and morals throughout the campaign. That can not be questioned.

This was all about Hillary, her sense of entitlement and her completely out of control ego. She would have done anything, said anything and lie (which she did) and pander to anyone to win.

It's time to turn the page from the Bush's and Clinton's.

June 6, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |