June 6th, 2008

CNN Poll: Majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP

A majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP.
A majority of Dems want Clinton to be VP.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A majority of Democrats think Barack Obama should select Hillary Clinton as his running mate, according to a new national poll.

Fifty-four percent of registered Democrats questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll out Friday think Obama should name his rival as his running mate, with 43 percent saying no. The poll is the first national survey conducted since Senator Obama (D-Illinois) claimed the Democratic presidential nomination Tuesday night following the end of the primary season. Senator Clinton, D-New York, is expected to suspend her campaign and back Obama in a scheduled address Saturday. (View full poll results [PDF])

It seems men and women don’t see eye to eye on this question, with 60 percent of Democratic women saying Clinton should be named as Obama’s running mate. Only 46 percent of male Democrats agree, with 51 percent of them saying no. (WATCH: Panelists weigh McCain, Obama's VP options)

“What do women want, Sigmund Freud famously asked. The answer appears to be Clinton on the ticket. It’s pretty clear that many Democratic women are miffed and that Obama has to be very careful how he deals with Senator Clinton,” says CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider. (WATCH: The war over women voters)

If Obama names someone else as his running mate, 24 percent of those polled say Clinton should try to override that decision at the Democratic convention in Denver in August, with 75 percent saying no.

"Democrats would like Barack Obama to choose Hillary Clinton as his running mate, but they seem to recognize that it is his choice to make," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "Some will be disappointed if Obama does not pick Clinton, but not disappointed enough to want a floor fight at the convention."

The survey also found that the economy remains issue number one in the minds of Americans. Forty-two percent of those polled say that the economy will be the most important issue in the decision on the presidency. Iraq remains in second place in importance, at 24 percent, with health care at 12 percent.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted Wednesday and Thursday, with 921 registered voters, including 435 registered voters who describe themselves as Democrats or independents who lean Democratic. The sampling error for most results is plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

1. Silence Dogood

Obama and Clinton are trying show mutual respect. I hope the rabid Clinton haters out there follow their leader's example. Remember most of what you are repeating about her is old neo-con mythology.

Don't be an unconscious conservative mouthpiece. Obama and Clinton voting record is like 90%+ in agreement – they think the same in policy when you get past the ugly rumor mentality and gossip.

June 6, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  2. Jeff

SNIPER FIRE!!! SNIPER FIRE!!!

...he'll bring a speech he gave in 2002.

Imagine the attack ads.

Obama/ANYONE BUT HILLARY '08!

June 6, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  3. Joseph Cohenn

Bill Schneider – You are a liar. We know you do not like Obama. You will do anything to persuade the public to make clinton stay on the ticket.

Leave the guy alone and let the people decide in november who is a better peson between Obama and McCain

June 6, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  4. MC

Thanks CNN for this important poll result! We have had enough of politicians who make wrong decisions for wrong reasons, such as picking Cheney for VP. We have suffered enough. We should listen to the people's opinion because the "collective intelligence" at a huge margin of 54% of registered democratic voters is too significant to ignore or disregard. The majority of democrats know what is best for the country because we have filtered out other candidates in the primaries and Hillary stands clearly as the second most important choice behind Obama!

June 6, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  5. Marcia

No one polled me.... I think it is the worst possible choice...entirely unacceptable. I voted for Barack in order to help restore our moral authority....a Clinton in office will further undermine any moral standing we hope to gain.

June 6, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  6. Roland

It certainly sounds and looks good. But every objective person has to ask themselves these questions:
    1) Obama has criticized McCain about his ties to lobbyist. How then can he criticize McCain, if his running mate also has ties to lobbyist's. Do you see?
    2)Obama's MAIN theme has been his opposition to the war in Iraq which Clinton and McCain supported. How can he criticize McCain about the war if his running mate supported the war? You see guys, it just can't work.

Your humble democrat.!

June 6, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  7. Barbara

Go to CNN Politics and read the Commentary by Rebecca Walker – this woman gets it.

June 6, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  8. Angy

Obama should not pick Clinton as a VP.
    Of course she would bring about a lot of votes, but what about after the election, will he be able to work with her ? Wille she continue bosting about her 17 million voters and feel she has the right in every decision he makes.
    Obama will be the president, and Clinton will not be able to live with the idea of taking oders from him.
    So please give obama a break and let him choos who HE wants and can work confortably and honestly with.
    I don't trust Hillary as VP and he should'nt either.

June 6, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  9. b/augusta

I have heard about opinion polls for over 40 years. I have yet to receive a call. If by some chance I was fortunate enough to receive a call regardng an Obama/Clinton ticket, the answer would be a resounding NOOOOOoooooooooo

June 6, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  10. kr

I do not want Clinton to be VP. This poll is ridiculous, it is OBAMA`s choice. Picking Clinton would make him look weak, like he can not win on his own. YES HE CAN! He has shown great judgement in his decesions so far and I trust him to make the right decision for the country and himself. Give Hillary a cabinet position.

June 6, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  11. B. Ballesteros

Even if Clinton was on Obama's ticket I would NOT vote for him. I am switching to Republican even though I've voted for the democratic party since I started voting. They'll only blame Clinton if Obama loses in November. GO MCCAIN!!!

June 6, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  12. VZ

Hillary has more experience in Washington!!!!! Hillary's experience can only help Obama's soooo called CHANGE happen! I don't know what to think about our countries fate at this point. All I can say, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!

June 6, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  13. SoCal

Women are a non-issue in Obama's campaign and I don't understand how political "analysts" can't see that. Are you trying to tell me that Clinton supporters would vote for McCain and overturn Roe v. Wade? Obama is a feminist, plain and simple, and women have no choice but to get behind him if they give a toot about the futures of their daughters. Clinton supporters ought to be focused on a more sound argument for making her veep, such as her popularity with Hispanics.

Besides, what about a vp along the likes of Barbara Boxer of California? She actually voted AGAINST the Iraq war, thankyouverymuch.

June 6, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  14. Tired of W, OH

Wait, let me use my best republican-posing-as-a-Hillary-supporter voice...OK...here it goes...

IF OBAMA DOESN'T PICK HILLARY AS VP, I'LL VOTE FOR MCCAIN!!!!!!
    BELIEVE ME!!!!!! I REALLY MEAN IT!!!!!!!!!

Wait a second, I just realized that I'm a grown-up that votes on the issues. I'm going to vote for Obama no matter who he chooses (short of Rush Limbaugh – That one's a deal-breaker).

June 6, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  15. No VP for HIllary

CNN stop with your lies majority of democrats don't want Hillary on Obama's ticket if that was the case don't you think Hillary would of won the democratic nominee? We do not want Hillaryyyyyyyy end of it. HIllary supporters nothing personal but if you were in our shoes how would you feel when constantly hillary was attacking obama more than Mccain? didn't even acknoldege Obama'ss win. Hillary is keeping her delegates supporters hostage what a shame. Its all about Hillary can you imagine if she becomes the VP? she will act like she is the president me me me me thats Hillary for you. Obama pleaseeeeeeeeee think wise don't rush there are more qualified candidates than Hillary. Cnn please post this thank you.

June 6, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  16. Elisabeth

CNN, "Late-night comedians make the news hilarious"! They are deliberately insulting 18 000 000 American voters and their candidate. Hopefully most of them will vote for McCain. CNN is one of Obamas main and most important unfair endorsers. Please boycott CNN!

June 6, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  17. natalie

I'm a 60 year old female, lifelong Democrat, college educated – exactly in Ms. Clinton's bracket – and I DO NOT THINK she should be on the ticket with Obama. I voted for him – not her. There are plenty of great people to choose from – she is NOT the only fish in the sea.

June 6, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  18. Sally

That is not a dream ticket, it would be Obama's nightmare!
    Obama/Edwards 08!

June 6, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  19. Jackie from Minneapolis

correction: His supporters want change and hers think he isn't right, whether it's his experience and/or because he is a black man(people always forget that he is also half white as well).

June 6, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  20. Susan

I'd like to know who these people are that want Hillary has the VP... I haven't met any of them!!! I think we're being railroaded by the media!

June 6, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  21. Texas Al

No we don't! obviously, the pollsters did not ask me!

Obama/No Clinton

June 6, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  22. tim

I smell a hefty load of Bull*&^%$# in this article.

47% of America said it would NEVER vote for Clinton.

A HUGE percentage of Obama supporters say they will NEVER vote for Clinton.

So...who the hell was polled?

Here's a tip for your next poll: Don't just ask Clinton supporters.

June 6, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  23. Justin, New Hampshire

If an overwhelming majority of Clinton supporters will vote for Obama if she is on the ticket than I would support it. It seems that many people would rather cut off their noses to spite their faces (in both camps). The bickering needs to stop. There was a record number of Democrats voting in this primary season. This just might be the best way to win in November (by a possible landslide). If this is what will defeat Republicans than so be it. Obama/Clinton 08!

June 6, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  24. NO Hillary on Ticket

A huge mistake to pick Hillary for VP – she doesn't have the ego strength to be in second place............if she had any sense of grace, she should have acknowledged and congratulated Obama on Tuesday. Instead, she continued listing resume points of winning 18 million votes...blah,blah.blah.

I am a white woman and although she has done so much to move us forward, she still lacks tact.

Terrible idea to put Hillary on the ticket!

June 6, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  25. MMN - Milwaukee WI

I think the Clinton campaign owes CNN some money and the only way to make sure they get paid is to keep Hillary in the news in hopes of her campaign being able to raise some funds.

June 6, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |