June 6th, 2008

VoteBoth's petition draws thousands

A petition calling for a unity ticket has drawn thousands.
A petition calling for a unity ticket has drawn thousands.

(CNN) - VoteBoth, the organization that is aggressively seeking to land Hillary Clinton on Barack Obama's presidential ticket, says it has upwards of 25,000 signatures on its petition calling for the New York senator to serve as No. 2.

According to the group's co-founder, Sam Arora, the vast majority of those signatures came entirely after Obama clinched the party's nomination Thursday and were generated largely on media buzz and interest in the potential for a unity ticket.

"The online activity we've seen is a sneak peak at the millions of Democrats who are hoping for an Obama-Clinton dream ticket," Arora told CNN.

"The choice is Sen. Obama's alone, and we hope to continue making the case to him that choosing Sen. Clinton would unite the Party and lead us to victory in November," he also said.

Those who have signed the petition include several prominent Democrats, most of whom were backers of Clinton, including Govs. Ed Rendell and Tom Vilsack and Sens. Chuck Schumer and Dianne Feinstein.

Since Obama officially clinched the nomination Tuesday night, several high-profile backers of Clinton have publicly urged she serve as the Illinois senator's running mate.

Clinton even reportedly said she was open to the possibility in a conference call with supporters earlier this week, though her campaign issued a statement saying she is not actively seeking the job.

Arora said the organization will continue to step up its efforts for a unity ticket, and explore several different avenues for getting its message out. On Thursday, ardent Clinton support Lanny Davis, whose fierce support of the former presidential candidate has become a fixture on cable news shows, signed on to the group as a senior adviser.

1. bimmer

McCain all the way.
    Good for national security and anti-terrorism.
    Honest.

June 6, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  2. Amanda

Let Obama pick whomever he would like as his VP nominee. As a Hillary supporter I would not encourage her to accept this position. The DNC has failed women in general and hijacked the electoral process. Personally, I will not vote for Obama if Hillary were on the ticket. I prefer not to have a racist, sexist, inexperienced Senator running the country thank you very much!

Former Hillary Support – now Supporting McCain!

June 6, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  3. Hans-Erik Iken

I think it would be a bad idea for several reasons.

My preference would be Jim Webb for VP

June 6, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  4. Snafu

Why in the heck does the MSM feel they are the ones to pick the VP. The MSM needs to let OBAMA MAKE HIS DECISION, PERIOD! There is not way in hell that OBAMA can pick Billary she is a liability and carries too much baggage. Enough with the Clintons they had their run and they botched it. CNN continues to push this issue and fails to point out the racist , disorganized, broke campaign that she ran. She is a failure, loser and thinks she was entitled. She needs to crawl under a rock and never surface again.

June 6, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  5. bluebird

He doesn't deserve her on the ticket. He'll only win because of her. I hope she declines. Either way, I'm a McCain fan now.

June 6, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  6. Ryan, New York, NY

Is there a petition that I can sign to show that I absolutely don't want her on the ticket?

June 6, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  7. unity?

I did not sign but I am 100% behind Hillary.

I may vote for Obama if she is on the ticket.

Otherwise, I commit my vote to the Honor of the better candidate.

I honor the fight and the treatment endured by a true american warrior.

June 6, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  8. Smitty

Thousands?

What happened to the infamous 18 million?

June 6, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  9. Nik

Wow, sounds like < 0.01% of the US population thinks this is a good idea. Keep up the good work VoteBoth.

June 6, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  10. Tim from Eugene OR.

Mr. Davis,

You could have waited a couple of weeks to start your pettition. By having it come out in the op-ed of the Times the very next day after your Hillary had just dissed another historical moment, was not a wise move if you really wanted her to have a chance at VP. The Clinton machine has always been so intellegent so whats up with this dumb move? Is it to give Hillary a way not to face turning down the VP? If she is not offered the VP slot she will surely run again in 2012 weather Obama is the president or not. So I really think this was not as dumb as it looks if you look deeper, or it is just pure dumbness and is part of the reason Clinton lost in the first place. Bad timing, and no plan for the next step.

June 6, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  11. Morgan

I am an Obama supporter and I would have been terribly disappointed if he had lost the nomination... so I can understand Hillary supporters' saddness. But the fact is HE won the nomination and HE should be the one to choose his VP. I really don't think Clinton supporters would have appreciated similar tactics from Obama supporters if she had been the nominee. So just lay off the man and let him do what he has a right to do, and if Clinton supporters were honest with themselves they'd see that I'm right.

God bless you and God bless the United States of America

June 6, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  12. Dick

I don't know why Hillary would want to be Vice President. It is definitely a second fiddle job, entirely subordinate to the President (even Cheney has been relegated to the second row these last few years). If Hillary stays in the Senate then she is a power broker, able to submit legislation, build alliances, and get things done. As VP she will disappear behind Obama's charismatic personna. Being VP has no advantages for running for President in 8 years (Hillary will be how old?). So if I were her, and I'm not, I'd stay in the Senate and flex some muscle until I retire.

June 6, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  13. Missy

I would be sorely disappointed in an Obama- Clinton ticket. Watching Hillary's response to the voting system in MI and FL, as well as her 'lack of concession' meets 'applying for VP' speech after the SD primary deepen my distrust of her intentions. I think Obama could do much better.

June 6, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  14. Reality Check richmond virginia

I think we all need to give it a rest, stop attacking each other and work to get Obama elected in the fall. The nomination process is over, Obama is the candidate, we need to leave the past in the past.

June 6, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  15. True

Stop bullying the man to choose Hillary. She lost!

June 6, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  16. Leano

The VoteBoth focus have selfishness and pride at heart. Even so they are acting not out of wisdom or understanding but out of frustration and misguided will. You cannot be pressuring Obama when he's the one to make that decision. Certainly this is an insult to the way things are done. This has the potential to break the party even further. They know that it will be difficult to have a Clinton VP, though it may win the nomination. They are acting out of stupidity and they must stop!

June 6, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  17. becky

I am sorry I do not know what poll CNN is referring to? I watched you poll on line really close and I do believe the results of it was 60% said NO to Hillary???

Please CNN stop this.

June 6, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  18. Chula

The only way I will vote for Obama is if Hillary is on the ticket....otherwise you can kiss my vote and those of millions of Americans good bye.

HIllary the TRUE Democratic nominee.

June 6, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  19. Ben - Portland

The choice is Sen. Obama's alone... but we're going to force him to make the choice we want him to make.

Senator Clinton needs to reign this in before it gets totally out of hand. If she isn't the VP choice and is seen as half heartedly campaiging for him this fall, and he looses, she's political toast. As much as her supporters support her, they'll be just as quick to drop her if she's perceived as part of the reason he doesn't win.

Anybody remember Nader? How many of his 2000 supporters were also his 2004 supporters?

June 6, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  20. Peter E

For all the talk about 'hope' and 'change' the only thing that Obama supporters seem to care about is pummeling Hillary. Some of them even go as far as threaten to vote for McCain if Hillary is on the ticket. (while at the same time criticizing Hillary supporters for the same thing)

You guys need to start listening to your own candidate's message. Note how he praises Hillary and refuses to alienate her supporters. Maybe you guys can try doing the same. What you're doing right now completely undermines his message. You aren't helping him.

June 6, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  21. Tom

Thousands? On a national, online petition? That ain't much. More important, putting Clinton on the ticket would be a disaster: (1) The GOP would simply run tape of Clinton's own ridiculous cheap shots at Obama, thus saving themselves the trouble. (2) All the Clinton baggage would come along. (3) Clinton has shown that she cannot be trusted to put a president, a party, or a country ahead of her own self-interest. She would bring the opposite of what Obama's campaign has been all about–integrity and people working together to bring our country back to the greatness it can achieve when led by honest, competent people who are truly pitching in for the greater good. I hope Obama picks a veep who fits well with those excellent themes.

June 6, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  22. Walt, Belton,TX

Two equally unacceptable candidates don't equal one acceptable candidate.

June 6, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  23. robert

I think adding Hillary to Obams ticket as VP is not a good idea, ands is more out of reflex and respect rather than good thinking. . They are too similar politically ( even though she is a woman an dhe is black ()and I think it will help the crazy Republicians (Rush Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Hannity, et al ) as they use Hillary as a flash point to dislike democrats. Plus her talents are too great to "waste" as VP when she would be great as a member of Obama's cabinet-ala Attorney Genral , etc.

June 6, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  24. Jackie

As much as you say we need clinton's people to win if she wants to ge elected someday she is going to need ours also remember that.

June 6, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  25. Chris

25,000 only....i thought hillary supporters were pounding on 18 million people. Whatever happened to them? Opp..wait a minute, they smarten up and decided to support Obama. So now, there are only a tiny drop of 25,000 in a bucket. Get over yourself. Clinton Era is over.

June 6, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |