June 7th, 2008

Couple divided on what happens next

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Hillary Clinton urged supporters at her final rally Saturday to back Barack Obama with the same enthusiasm they'd had for her presidential bid - but not everyone was ready to follow her instruction.

Arms crossed, David Rivera of Baltimore told a reporter that "it will be a cold day down there before I support - that man." The nomination, he said, had been "stolen" from Clinton. "She won the popular vote, the people wanted her. [Democratic National Committee chairman] Howard Dean didn't."

But his wife Maria said she was ready to follow Clinton's example. "In campaigns, there are winners, and there are losers," she said. "You can't sit and think about what went wrong forever. You have to move forward."

She said she belonged to a grassroots group of nearly two dozen Clinton supporters who called and canvassed for her in the days leading up to Maryland's presidential primary, and that nearly all of them have now decided to volunteer for Obama.

1. Karen

June 7th, 2008 3:23 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    To CNN Politics.com

Not that my opinion will be heard or matter since my vote, once again does not matter. After watching Hillary's speech on your network ( and yes, I was crying), I have this to say;
    I am a mother, a grandmother a US Citizen and I was an Aunt to National Guardsmen PVT. Nathan Brown who was killed Easter Sunday 2004 in Samara, Iraq.
    Unlike Michell Obama, I have ALWAYS been PROUD to be an AMERICAN.
    I would feel much safer if Hillary and Bill Clinton were in the White House again but, I guess it is not to be.
    Unfortunately, I have lost all faith in the way we elect or leaders in this country (since Al Gore had the Presidency stolen from him in 2000) and , I was dissapointed with the DNC committee's actions of last weekend.
    I am a Nurse, When I apply for a job, I have to present a RESUME of my Qualifications to explain why I am the one who should be their choice for the position. Why does that not seem to be the case when running for our country's highest office????

Yes, I am a huge supporter of Hillary Clinton. I know that she is more qualified for the office of President of the United States .
    Sadly, I feel that my voice as an AMERICAN to vote has been taken from me once again. The winner of the popular vote does not count I guess.

I will not be voting in the general election in November.

Karen, ALBANY, NEW YORK

June 7, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  2. terri ohio

Look People I am having a hard time paying for the gas Im putting in my car, I am spending my while pension trying to put my son through college, my 26 year who works very hard has chronic asthma but no health insurance, My neighbors is empting out because everyone is loosing their jobs and their houses. Plz peolps their is too much at stake to hold grudges and vote against your own interest and put Mccain tin the white . in 2001 the price of gas was $1.80 a gallon Can we Stand 4 more years os a repoblican in the white house .. I say NO

June 7, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  3. Theresa

I find it so curious that so many Clinton supportors who claimed to trust her good judgment are defying it.

It's a shame and utter disrespect to Senator Clinton.

Who won the popular vote is questionable, BTW...

June 7, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  4. John

The bugger is obviously happy and thinks that he can push her around for votes from her supporters. That's why he went to play golf today. He gives two hoots to her emotions and the unity of the democratic party. Yeah, he will be on cloud nine today, having brought down the house of Clintons, exuberant like a middle-school kid. Perhaps he will have a great night today!

June 7, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  5. Obama For President!

Its Obvious That She Is The Smart One In The Marriage!

June 7, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  6. MS

Over 18 million people voted for former presidential candindate Senator Hillary Clinton. This figure translates to 5.8 % of the U.S population, or approximately 19 % of the democratic party. Clearly, astonishing numbers aside, her supporters will not blackmail the party, no pun intended. Just as Presidential nominee Senator Obama has demonstrated, he has the better chance of winning. 19 % of party support Clinton, by default 81 % did not support. The truth is silently powerful.

Losers take a vacation abroad. no pun intended...

June 7, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  7. Patricia in Las Vegas

wow, for the first time in my adult life, I am proud of Hillary Clinton!!
    spring ~~ your bias and ignorance is showing.
    For the record, the rest of my family, all registered Republicans now support Obama even the sister or two that originally were for Ms. Clinton. United we Stand! Divided We FAIL. Thank you and have a lovely Sunday everyone!

June 7, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  8. Sithembiso

At the end of the day, this about ordinary Americans and their needs and their dreams.

Not about Senators Obama or Clinton. People who stand to gain or lose the most is ordinary Americans if Repulblicans are voted back to power – power they abuse! Liberties of ordinary Americans being eroded!

June 7, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  9. Proud American

Lets Go Dems!!!!!

June 7, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  10. Deyanir

I don't like the rules of the democratic party.
    It's time in this country to have a 3rd party and start supporting it.
    Hillary Clinton INDEPENDENT?!!

June 7, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  11. jay

As an Obama supporter, I thought Hillary's speech was on the money and well worth the wait. She did a fantastic job and should be given credit for it. Heck, her speech made me even reconsider (not totally accept) that perhaps she could be his VP. Perhaps...

Obama over McCain any day!

June 7, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  12. Democrat unite

Great job Maria show David what it takes to be the "man". Congratulations to both Senators Obama and Clinton!

United we stand, divided we fall!!!!!!

No republicans in the White House 08! Let's follow Hillary on this one. You would be disrespecting her wishes if you did otherwise!

Continue to back Hillary and the Democratic party by voting Democratic in November.

June 7, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  13. John Smith

All these should have been OVER by Tuesday. Hillary was pushed to make this move.

I DID NOT, and will NOT watch Hillary's speech. This primary was about the PARTY, not an almight Queen. If Hillary supporters love her more than they love the DEM party, let them NOT vote for Obama as he REPRESENTS the DEM party. It is that simple! I want change, not coronation!

June 7, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  14. Rosemarie

I'm a Hill supporter and volunteer. Her speech was the old Hill, very inspiring, but I cannot vote for Obama unless she is on the ticket and maybe not then.

FYI, "yes we can" was coined by Dave Cash of the Philadelphia Philles in the 1970's NOT Obama and his campaign. Come on folks get an original thought!

Hilllary '12

June 7, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  15. WesternKid

Good for Hillary – she's done the right thing in getting behind Obama. I think her merely suspending the campaign rather than formally ending may be a move, agreed upon by both camps, to keep the VP slot technically out of reach, placating those that don't want it as much as those that do. Those professed Hillary supporters who are promising to vote for McCain are either McCain supporters disguised as irate Hillary supporters, or just plain ridiculous.

June 7, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  16. Linda

I don't know if this is the proper place for this comment or not but here goes.I support Hillary. I know that we are to support Obama, but I can't. I feel that Hillary was not treated fairly by Obama, his supporters and the democratic party. My family has voted democratic for the past many years, but this is where it will stop. I refuse to vote for him and I have lost all respect for the Kennedy family. I feel that she was cheated of the nomination. My thoughts and prayers are with Hillary. She is too bright to be his vp. I will not vote for him even if she is vp.

June 7, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  17. Grace

Can someone clarify & explain to the die-hard Clinton supporters that TOTOAL votes include caucus votes & primary votes, so they could feel better that Obama did not rob Hillary at all. I wish she would address this in her speech today.

June 7, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  18. Mark

People, please stop stating that she won the popular vote. That only happens if you count Michigan (but don't count the undecided that would favor Obama) and Florida, which Hillary herself discounted back in November. That kind of math just isn't the truth. I don't understand how you can be behind Hillary Clinton and now say your going to vote for John McCain, a man who stands for virtually the opposite of what she ran for. Obama and her share the same opionions on almost all of the issues. To make a statement like that leads me to believe the only reason you were voting for her in the first place was either because she was a woman or the Clinton name. Both are sorry criteria for the next leader of our country. Educate yourself on the issues and base your vote on what you think your candidate stands for, not sour grapes.

June 7, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  19. steveda - poconos, PA

people .. you need to stop with the 'I will vote for mcCain since hillary didn't win" comments. A vote for McCain overturns every stride of progress Hillary made for women in this campaign.

Her speech was wonderful, and was deliverred well even though you know it had to hurt. I believe she was serious. At this time, we cannot afford one more day of Republican rule. They are killing the country and establishing an aristocracy.

As for those who complain about his experience... JFK was a single term senator, and Abraham Lincoln had no federal experience. Lincoln in fact was a state representative. These visionaries were recvognized by the generations as the best men for the job and elected over the more "seasoned, experienced candidate." So your experience argument is kinda debunked too.

June 7, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  20. Garth Patterson

No to Obama,

So you're going to reward John McCain with your vote? With 4 more years of Dubya's War?

That'll show Obama!!

:-\

Time to gather 'round to vote in a Democrat and stop Dubya's madness!

June 7, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  21. UNITY 08

Spring………While Hillary behaves like a lady, and a valiant one, Obama goes out for golf……….Where was HRC during his VICTORY Speach on Tuesday ,If you recall they had a hijacked meeting,how do you know what was discussed just maybe they agreed for him not be
    there. this was HER moment …..good he wasn't there to witness all the boos and thumb downs. Hillary supports him. Spring…….. Hillary could show Obama how to act like a gentleman, how to say the Pledge of Allegiance, and how to choose friends…..If HRC could not control BiIl (Monica) what makes you think she can control Senator Obama. Get a Life!!!!!

June 7, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  22. Naomi

To all these people stating that they will not vote for Obama remember this, if Obama ends up losing you better believe that when Hillary attempts to run again for the presidency, Obama supporters will not vote for her and she may end up losing as well.

So the point is stop being childish and petty. She lost this democratic nomination fair and square. It wasn't because it was taken or stolen from her. SO STOP WITH THE MADNESS!

June 7, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  23. Beverly NM

Talk about a couple divided.....my husband was a Republican until Bush was elected and now he supports Obama. I have always been a Democrat and now cannot support Obama. Go figure!

June 7, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  24. The Freedome Gnome

First of all Spring, never compare Obama to Bush. Went to golf, you have no idea other than media speculation. Stop looking for a reason no to like a Black presidential canidate. He reported an hour after the speech on how much he appreciated. Nobody needs your hate. It's time to unite behind Obama and Clinton. Let us give up these petty games and make sure Republicans stay out of office.

June 7, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  25. Pope, Philadelphia

John McCain will re-introduce the draft as we prepare to keep fighting in IRAQ and invade IRAN at the same time. Need more young men and women for that. So GO VOTE FOR MCSAME. i am sure u will like that nice flag on the Mantle to remember your dead children

June 7, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |