June 7th, 2008

Couple divided on what happens next

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Hillary Clinton urged supporters at her final rally Saturday to back Barack Obama with the same enthusiasm they'd had for her presidential bid - but not everyone was ready to follow her instruction.

Arms crossed, David Rivera of Baltimore told a reporter that "it will be a cold day down there before I support - that man." The nomination, he said, had been "stolen" from Clinton. "She won the popular vote, the people wanted her. [Democratic National Committee chairman] Howard Dean didn't."

But his wife Maria said she was ready to follow Clinton's example. "In campaigns, there are winners, and there are losers," she said. "You can't sit and think about what went wrong forever. You have to move forward."

She said she belonged to a grassroots group of nearly two dozen Clinton supporters who called and canvassed for her in the days leading up to Maryland's presidential primary, and that nearly all of them have now decided to volunteer for Obama.

1. ginger

So what Sen. Obama went golfing. As the author of the report said, "IT IS UNCLEAR IF SEN OBAMA WATCHED THE SPEECH." Maybe he saw it in the car or at the club house. He did go meet with her at the place she wanted.

The point is it was Hillary's day not his.

By the way, how much are you paying for gas?

June 7, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  2. Obama/Webb 08 12

VP = Jim Webb

Go Obama/Webb 08/12

June 7, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  3. Bill

I think that it is time for all the haters to shut up – ON BOTH SIDES
    Enough, it is hard for me to say that I will support Obama, I am still raw from the primary but I think all of this attacking is just an example of uneducated, ill informed clowns with really no talent of thier own other than to shoot off their mouth. Ask yourselves this, what have you done that you can talk about? Hello? Echo, Echo Echo.

June 7, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  4. Nadine

And what wrong with Obama taking the weekend off to be with his wife and children. That's what wrong with America, too caught up in politics and no time for family. I'm glad to see some Clinton supporters moving on because that' what life is going to do - move on with or without you. And I am simply tired of the 7 yrs of Bush's mess. Folks move on!

June 7, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  5. Phyllis/ PA

After Hillary gave a historic speach, I now will watch and fwill ollow events. Presently as a Hillary supporter, I know that I will not vote for Obama if Hillary is not VP. If she is VP, then I will still have difficulty voting for Obama. Today, I only know that I will not even consider Obama if she is not on the ticket and do not know if this will be sufficient for me to vote for him.

At least McCain has experience and I would feel comfortable with him as commander in chief. Remeber Obam never voted again the Iraq war. He only spoke against it. How would he have voted if he had to responsibility for his voted. His record as present in Ilinoise makes me wonder.?

Looks like I will use my indendent vote will go for McCain

June 7, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  6. Cameron

I have to say that you could tell she was not happy today! I dont think she truly wants us to support him I really do not! I am going to give my vote to McCain because Obama has no experience and is so far off par with what America needs!

June 7, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  7. CKR

I respect Senator Clinton but I cannot follow her lead. I supported Senator Clinton because I believed she was the best leader for our country. In my opinion, the second best person to lead our country (of the last 3 standing) is Senator McCain.

Obama does not represent my beliefs and, more importantly, I do not believe he represents the beliefs of the Demcratic Party base.

I will cast my vote for Senator McCain in November. The more we learn about Obama the more people will join me by November.

June 7, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  8. Amazed

Holy moly! Enough with the golf-bashing! Don't you know that just about every president in history was a golfer. My husband is a golfer, but is NOT elitist and knows how to throw back a cheap beer with the rest of 'em.

What it boils down to is that if you call yourself a Hillary supporter and now say that you can go vote for McCain for president then you were never even listening to what the woman had to say in the first place. Barack Obama stands for many of the same things that Hillary did and she knows that, which is why she knows it is more important for him to win the presidency than MCain. I don't think Hillary is going to sit at home and feel sorry for herself like a helpless fool and it would speak volumes of her supporters if they followed her example.

June 7, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  9. Democrat unite

Great job Maria shows David what it takes to be the "man". Congratulations to both Senators Obama and Clinton!

United we stand, divided we fall!!!!!!

No republicans in the White House 08! Let's follow Hillary on this one. You would be disrespecting her wishes if you did otherwise!

Continue to back Hillary and the Democratic Party by voting Democratic in November.

June 7, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  10. Disgusted with DNC

I am disgusted with the DNC and Democratic Party and have left it. It no longer represents what I believe in (millions of voters brutally disenfranchised because of “technicalities”!) I will vote for McCain in November. While I don’t agree with him on everything, I trust him on national security and the fact that he has REAL experience. On the other hand, with Obama I agree on NOTHING and trust him on NOTHING!

I am a woman and proud of it! And I'm a proud and old and white woman, and I'm proud of that, too. But mostly, Senator Obama - you just can't "put it over" on a woman (of any age or color) forever!

June 7, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  11. Anonymous

Could he be even more disrespectful towards Senator Clinton and her 18 million supporters? What message of unity is he trying to convey by playing golf while she was trying to rally her supporters to get behind him?

I was almost swayed by Hillary's poignant speech to support Obama but not i'm not so sure...if he really chose golf over paying attention to Hillary's speech and her supporters, then he is indeed an arrogant elitist who doesn't deserve the White House.

June 7, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  12. William

Folks lets make history. Obama and Barney Frank on Democratic ticket.
    Barak Obama – Barney Frank 2008

June 7, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  13. Anne

It flies in the face of common sense to vote for McCain because Senator Clinton is no longer a candidate. To do so is denying that one believes the things Senator Clinton stands for and dooms the country to more war, less international respect and no improvement in health insurance, not to mention the continued outsourcing of American jobs.

Be disappointed, be sad, be all those difficult emotions, but please...do NOT cut off your nose to spite your face. Another Republican administration and we will all be back in the Stone Age.

June 7, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  14. Former Clinton Supporter

She did not have anything "stolen" from her. Clinton and Obama both agreed to the "rules" before anyone voted and he won. Stop blaming him and start thinking about what is best for our country. If you support Bush's policies and want four more years of it, vote for McCain. If you think that this country should go in a different direction and want change, vote for Obama. I myself don't want four more years in Iraq and thousands more killed because I am mad that my candidate did not win.
    Obama '08

June 7, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  15. Chris in Florida

He will never have my vote. The DNC is a disgrace. Longtime Democrat now Independent. Clinton in 2012!

June 7, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  16. Neutral

Hillary was pressured by DNC and Dems leaders to throw her support behind Obama. It's not the job of Hillary to unite the party deeply entrench now; it is Obambi's job to do as he is the "presumptive nominee." Hillary can take a vacation right now for two weeks, after 16 months of grueling campaign. As tip Oneil (great democrat), "one week is too long in politics."

We'll see Obambi's prowess in uniting the party, Axelrod released a statement last month, Obambi doesn't need white blue collar workers to win in general election, Donna Brazile said in CNN last month, Obambi doesn't need Hillary supporters to win in general election. We'll see about that in November.

Get ready for President John McCain in January 20, 2009.

June 7, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  17. ken

June 7, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  18. enomisa

Way to go Hill.

Now away we go.

Say no to political rape.

June 7, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  19. Pepou

As a strong Obama supporter and volunteer to his campaign I am glad that Hillary Clinton endorsed him. She gave a good speech and I hope that her supporters overcome their legitimate anger and join us to win back the White House. The Obama website is also very appreciative of her support.

June 7, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  20. judy

I fail to understand how Democrats who supported Clinton now say they will vote for McCain! Do they really want a continuation of Bush rule. Republicans are Republicans. I am sure the Obama will appoint her to make sure universal health care for all Americans becomes a reality, something the Republicans have no idea about, and something that both Clinton and Obama firmly believe in. I have American friends who for five years did not have any health care, is this fair. Basically Clinton and Obama are fighting for the same standards and those who say they will not vote for Obama are only making sure that America continues on the wrong track. Please think again and really listen to Obama's speeches. A Canadian who wants to see America restored.

June 7, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  21. Kathy

Popular votes is not part of the rules – pledged delegates is, and so is superdelegates, Obama has won both.

June 7, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  22. robert e lowe

hey screw that ---- don't want that go McCane

June 7, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  23. FrankSmith

All these should have been OVER by Tuesday. Hillary was pushed to make this move.

I DID NOT, and will NOT watch Hillary's speech. This primary was about the PARTY, not an almighty Queen. If Hillary supporters love her more than they love the DEM party, let them NOT vote for Obama as he REPRESENTS the DEM party. It is that simple! I want change, not coronation!

June 7, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  24. Unshrub

"While Hillary behaves like a lady, and a valiant one, Obama goes out for golf."

==============

Excuse me, didn't Obama say that he would meet Hillary at her time and choosing? What is wrong with some of you.? This is about as silly of a comment as anyone can make.

June 7, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  25. Victor, NJ

David is quoted ." The nomination, he said, had been "stolen" from Clinton. "She won the popular vote, the people wanted her. [Democratic National Committee chairman] Howard Dean didn't."

Sorry David but I beg to differ. The nomination was not stolen from her, but her campaign was flaud to begin with when she figured all she had to do was show up and the nomination was hers.
    Please lets not forget 18million voted for him too.

June 7, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |