June 7th, 2008

Couple divided on what happens next

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Hillary Clinton urged supporters at her final rally Saturday to back Barack Obama with the same enthusiasm they'd had for her presidential bid - but not everyone was ready to follow her instruction.

Arms crossed, David Rivera of Baltimore told a reporter that "it will be a cold day down there before I support - that man." The nomination, he said, had been "stolen" from Clinton. "She won the popular vote, the people wanted her. [Democratic National Committee chairman] Howard Dean didn't."

But his wife Maria said she was ready to follow Clinton's example. "In campaigns, there are winners, and there are losers," she said. "You can't sit and think about what went wrong forever. You have to move forward."

She said she belonged to a grassroots group of nearly two dozen Clinton supporters who called and canvassed for her in the days leading up to Maryland's presidential primary, and that nearly all of them have now decided to volunteer for Obama.

1. PUMA_PartyUnityMyA.S.S.

Let’s all unite?
    Let’s all come around our rightful nominee??

Here’s a little something for the DNC:

McCainocrat
    dems4mccain
    HILLARY4MCCAIN

And here’s another little something:

Let’s help put Alaska Gov Sarah Palin as McCain’s VP! She’s brilliant…she’s honest…and she’s a straight talker!

palinforvp.blogspot

This Democratic Party doesn’t speak for me!!!

McCainocrat

June 7, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  2. Only hill

Time for the SECOND best-

No NOT Obama.

Hatred has its consequences.

June 7, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  3. Venus

Thank you Hillary! Great speech and we welcome your support and love for our party!

Come on Obama supporters..................... let's welcome Hillary supporters who wants to join us!!!

Obama!

June 7, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  4. The US abolishes century old clinton dynasty

this is CNN lamenting for their queen,
    the 6000 people who are angry and the ones contracted by Lanni davis is not the whole country..

she is cnn queen,
    she waited so many days to acknowledge not only the historical mark, but also recognize he won fair and square, unlike her..

it is sad that cnn continues to focus on her, when we are making history,

when we have an election coming up,
    when our country is divided
    when our country is at war
    when our childrne are behind in education
    when we have debts

when we are in a huge mess,

CNN keeps brining billary, it is about her her her

narcissistic if you ask me

Clinton National News...........for billary

it is over..

June 7, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  5. Ken

spring ,

What the man can't take a day off? He and his wife are hosting a sleepover for their daughter tonight. Is that a problem for you too?

Get a grip on yourself.

June 7, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  6. Christina

Right on, Michael from Glendale AZ. A vote for McCain is against everything Hillary Clinton stands for. If her supporters are true for her, they will vote democrat in November.
    Obama '08

June 7, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  7. Les from Chesapeake, VA

I would think that the bottom line, or common cause, will override the personal emotions that have a tendency to undermine the overall objective. When one speaks to voting for someone else, in another party no less, because of A, B, or C, then what we have is an absolute failure of our democratic system and its true intent as it applies to our form of government today. We are willing to allow a failed system to continue because of emotions that are unwilling to look to the larger and more positive picture in the future. This is unfortunate and sad; I would hope that we are all above this, for a common goal. America's plight, at this date, is much bigger than all of us. And as America goes, so goes much of the world. Whoever the President will be in January 2009, let's pray that they will be sound in judgement and will surround himself with people of integrity, strong character, the knowledge and courage to make the tough decisions, and have the American peoples best interest at heart. All the best.

June 7, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  8. The great Obama

The haters drove me out of the party.

I honor Hillary by standing against the methodology of hate and manipulation and unfairness that eliminated her from the race.

No to corruption.

No to Obama

June 7, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  9. Michael

David Rivera is a moron. Obviously he hasn't been paying attention to the campaign. Obama didn't steal the nomination from Hillary and nor was she entitled to it.

Get real David, and get a life.

June 7, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  10. Dan, TX

Women are more mature than men, aren't they.....

June 7, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  11. bluebird

I just unsubscribed from the DNC and let them know why. No way I'm supporting this party in this election.

June 7, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  12. Clinton Supporter

I can move forward. Right over to John McCain! I want experience, thank you, and I want someone who got there fair and square. Howard Dean wanted his job, and he kept it by doing what it took to overcome the popular vote. Just eliminate two entire states. Whatever it takes, right Howard?

I won't be back to the Democratic Party until they stop acting like back room thugs in $2,000 suits. I respect Hillary Clinton and what she's accomplished, but I just can't do this.

June 7, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  13. Sheanne

I, as a Clinton supporter will not vote for McCain but will, for the first time in almost 4 decades, NOT VOTE in the upcoming election....

but then again....everything is subject to change....

June 7, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  14. Maggie

i'm with david rivera!!!

obama and the dnc made sure how this election would turn out by stealing it from her...

June 7, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  15. DJ, Los Angeles

People are clueless that think somehow if they refuse to vote for Obama...will somehow extract "revenge" for Clinton losing. Rules are rules...it is what it is. Get over it and move forward.

Besides why are these angry people such fanatical about Clinton? Obama and Clinton share almost identical viewpoints on all the major issues. Obama just felt stronger about diplomacy and distancing himself from lobbyists. Other than that they have really the same views....so what's the big deal?

June 7, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  16. Sharon Minnesota

I watched Hillary Clinton's speech today and with mixed feelings was proud of her accomplishments yet disappointed in her decision to go forth with her plan to support Barack Obama. I was a supporter of hers and had hoped she would stand up to Obama, but sadly she has caved in to the now corrupted Democratic party. She gave it a good try but it seems that she is going to carry on with the ultra liberal agenda of the DNC and Barack Obama. Bill Clinton was not a perfect man but to his great credit he was a great president and political centrist who made our democracy work for the good of all Americans. Hillary has always been more liberal than him so I guess it's no surprise that she would stand up and support Barry. Oh Well!

God is always good and he has a plan for the world that he will reveal in His time. My vote will go for John McCain in 2008.

June 7, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  17. Charlotte

I will write Hillary Clinton on my ballot in November. While I can appreciate the need for Hillary to unite us, my needs are to vote for the person I believe is the best person, and that person is still Hillary Clinton.

June 7, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  18. Darryl M, Texas State Delegate...

Here at the Texas Democrats State convention in Austin Texas, I had opportunity to meet with some of senator Hillary Clinton loyal and supportors. They are in it to wiwn for the Democratic Party. I share some great convesation and we all had a great time..

We had surprise visit by Chelsea Clinton, she was really nice.....

Senator Clinton speech was really nice, the rest is up to us democrats to continue the conversation and work togather and support all Democrats and change Texas fron Red to Blue and keep the message Senator Clinton was saying a live and kickin...

Thank you, Senator Clinton for being a great lady, first lady, Senator, Mother, wife and friend...

We Love you here in Texas,,,,,,

June 7, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  19. Steve

Hillary has spoken. She sees the big picture. She is sad she didn't win the nomination, but she knows that the Democrats MUST win this fall.

If you don't want to vote Democratic, then don't. But vote Nader or Paul.
    Don't vote McCain. He will ruin your rights and he will continue to pander to fat corporate cats that only want one thing from you. Your money.

Quit whining and do the right thing. Vote Democratic.

June 7, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  20. NObama

Too Late.

Obama ran a hypocritical campaign of unity while stirring up hate and agitating division.

I can not allow them to force me to vote for the lesser, lying, cheating, hateful candidate- JUST because he is a so-called Democrat.

June 7, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  21. Obama All The Way

Hillary's only suspending her campaign so she can continue to raise money to pay off that $20-$30 million campaign debt. She won't cause a ruckus in Denver, no matter how much her supporters PRAY she will.

June 7, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  22. Betty

I'm sure Obama has a very good spot in his cabinet for her – one which will not have her "in his shadow".

She can be Supreme Court Justice, head up HHS and Insurance, or any number of other great spots.

McShame would give her the boot. Obama will give her the room to shine – as she will shine.

June 7, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  23. Montana is Obama Country

....... ******** UNITY fo AMERICA ******** ........

.................. This is our most important goal ............

June 7, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  24. Tell the truth

I want a Hilliary support to answer this question. I wanted some facts. Why would you vote for McCain. I wanted to talk about some issues like health care, war in Irag, housing market, social securtiy, bush taxes cuts, pro lofe or pro choice. Please can someone tell me how you supported Hilliary but now support McCain. I will post this messeage everyday until I get a real answer. Please just tell the truth.

June 7, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  25. c

i agree...changing your views just because the nominee is different is weak..if hilary was the nominee i still vote for her because i dnt want another 8 yrs of george w bush..if you think george w bush is bad try mccain

June 7, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |