June 7th, 2008

Couple divided on what happens next

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Hillary Clinton urged supporters at her final rally Saturday to back Barack Obama with the same enthusiasm they'd had for her presidential bid - but not everyone was ready to follow her instruction.

Arms crossed, David Rivera of Baltimore told a reporter that "it will be a cold day down there before I support - that man." The nomination, he said, had been "stolen" from Clinton. "She won the popular vote, the people wanted her. [Democratic National Committee chairman] Howard Dean didn't."

But his wife Maria said she was ready to follow Clinton's example. "In campaigns, there are winners, and there are losers," she said. "You can't sit and think about what went wrong forever. You have to move forward."

She said she belonged to a grassroots group of nearly two dozen Clinton supporters who called and canvassed for her in the days leading up to Maryland's presidential primary, and that nearly all of them have now decided to volunteer for Obama.

1. Never this travesty again.

My vote was for Hillary.

It will not go to the imposter who manipulated the press and strong-armed at caucus, and stole the votes and was dragged across the finish line by the party and he superdelegates.

End this injustice.

June 7, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  2. Micheal

June 7th, 2008 1:22 pm ET

I watched the speech. My impression was she did what she had to -but just barely. Most of it was about her, which is understandable. There were many opportunities to go the extra mile – like when she was talking about single mothers, she could have pointed out that Obama understands their problems because he was raised by one. I suppose only time will tell how sincere she is about uniting her supporters behind Obama.

No more Karl Rove in this country. He was helping Hillary destroy Obama till NC and IN primary which Obama was close enough and never bowed out.

Obama 08/12 all the way!

June 7, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  3. c

i agree..changing your views just because the nominee is different is weak..if hilary was the nominee i still vote for her because i dnt want another 8 yrs of george w bush..if you think george w bush is bad try mccain

June 7, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  4. JP

Democrats should vote for democrats that share the same values and Barack Obama shares Clintons Values. Maybe David just finds himself having trouble voting for an African American!!!

Obama!!

June 7, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  5. Anton

Will vote for McCain, never for the sexist whose strings are being pulled by the Democratic Liberals...they do not represent me.

June 7, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  6. ExPat

Maria and Hillary do have something in common. Bitter spouses.

June 7, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  7. QuietStormX

David Rivera and people like him are just narrow minded and sore losers. Hillary did not win the popular vote like she says. She got almost 18K votes. That is less than what Barack Obama got plus the nomination. 18K+ in popular vote for Obama and the delegates that counted in the primary. It;s time now for the party to come together for November.

Hillary made mistakes and she/they lost the nomination. Her supports are hard losers that don't know when to stop and support.

Washington, D.C.

June 7, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  8. FB

OK, let's try this again:

Hillary did not win the popular vote. She claims she won the popular vote by counting all of MI (none for Obama), all of FL ( he wasn't allowed to campaign, and therefore she had a huge advantage) and NO CAUCUS STATES.

How can you even back her on that.

She was not robbed of this nomination. Obama played by the rules, and won based on the rules. Any other metric is not valid. Delegates, period. Now if you think it should be different moving forward, then get the rules changed BEFORE the nomination starts.

And finally, some IDIOTIC Hill fan threw out this arbitrary factoid. My guess every Hillary fan will be quoting this guy for months to come. Why, they are dumb and just repeat what they hear.

The quote was "30% of Dems will not vote for Obama":. OK genius, if you are going to throw out fake numbers, why not go with 80%. Ya thats the ticket, 80% of all dems, no strike that, 80% of the worlds population won't vote for Obama".

Obama will win, no matter who you, not so bright HRC fans vote for. Go vote for McCain. It won't stop Obama.

June 7, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  9. Daniel

Hillary gave a good speech that will go a long way torwards healing and unity within the democratic party. True democrats like Maria understand that in an election a candidate other than your chose has an equal chance of winning.

For those who are threatening to vote for McCain goodluck, it's your democratic right, don't let the door hit you on your way out.

June 7, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  10. NoHillary

"It will be a cold day...before he decides to support that man"!? What kind of backwards mentality is that? The democrats have a nominee – support him! Duhhh..

June 7, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  11. A Latte Lover, Seattle, WA

It's important to remember that it is still early, and there are still open wounds. It will take a while to heal. I am an Obama supporter, and if he had lost, I would be feeling the same way!! I wouldn't go so far as to support McCain though. NEVER NEVER. Time will only tell what happens.

I do feel that Hillary gave a powerful speech today. It did bring tears to my eyes. For me, when she said "Yes We Can" I clapped. Kudos Senator Clinton. You have redeemed yourself in my eyes.

On another note though, as Hillary was getting ready to give her speech, the McCain camp came out with a memo noting all of the negative points that Hillary has said against Obama. What an old coot. I hope he does not succeed in dividing us further.

Older Women for Obama, 08

June 7, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  12. Never this fixed election again.

I love you Hillary.

But do not expect me to vote for the puppet who was fragged, limping and bleeding, across the finish line by the party, the DNC, the supers and the media.

They trumpet the FALSE leader.

I can not vote for the imposter

June 7, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  13. Happily Independent

some Clinton supporter need to get a grip. Obama went to play golf. Most likely, he took some time to watch the speech on the golf course. He showed her tremendous amount of respect by staying out of the spotlight and letting her have her day. Stop trying to find problems when there is none! They met the other night and got all of the details together. It was probably planned for him to stay away from the cameras and media. Allot people seem to think the worst. GROW UP! STOP WHINING! Every tme Obama does something you think he is up to something. The same goes for Obama supporters when Hillary does something. Many of you need a PACIFIER! When it goes and stays in your mouth, the rest of us can move on to focus on winning the general electon.

June 7, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  14. paolobrandi

Well, Hillary, you said it: 'This isn’t exactly the party I’d planned, but I sure love the company.'
    I tell you you don't loose company! Go, fight him in the White House. Me and many in Europe would like to see that. Thank you.

June 7, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  15. Becky, KS

It was a great speech. She did what was expected of her. Obama shows his true self by not even bothering to watch. Shameful, but then again, he's been this way all along. Clinton didn't, and shouldn't have conceded the very next second after last Tuesday's primary results. That's ridiculous, but you can't tell that to the Obama love-fest members.

Don't worry Hillary. We are still with you. I will not throw my support behind a fraud like Obama. You will be on the ticket or I go for McCain.

Sorry Junior. You can't have it both ways. You can't bash Clinton for months and then turn nice to her supporters. You treated this experienced, intelligent lady and her supporters like dirt. We won't forget that.

June 7, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  16. Ken

No more Clintons, No More Bushes, No more dynasties. After all this country has 309million people and are smart to have other families rule.
    I am always 100 percent satisfied with Obama. After all his campaign is very well organized!

June 7, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  17. Jess, Colorado Springs, Co.

Would you all lay off the golf thing? You're just pitiful. OH NO, HE WENT GOLFING AND DIDN'T WATCH- OH GOD, THE HORROR, THE UTTER HORROR OF IT ALL. You guys make me sick. He’s going to come out in a day, or couple of hours, and say he DID watch/listen to the speech-but really who cares? Because its just another outlet for you screaming children to cry “he’s not experienced enough and look he's rude". Take a look around you're political climate, I want a candidate as far removed from current political "experience" as possible. He’s not going to run this country top to bottom, (duh) it’s called a cabinet. Remember what one of those is? My only hope is. 1. He doesn't pick Hillary as VP, and 2. He does pick some experienced, older, military-related individual to run with him- Just so it would sooth you sort-sighted, fear mongers with all your experience chatter!

Still a Democrat 08'

June 7, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  18. Mike in Land O Lakes, FL

I couldn't agree more "In campaigns, there are winners, and there are losers,". The idea of supporting a thrid term of Bush in the form of McSame just because your candidate is not the nomine is very imature.

June 7, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  19. James

it's time to forget the past and move on....... we all need to come together and get rid of Mc Same and all his losers once for all..... Up Demos....

June 7, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  20. randy

Cnn are really pushing for so called unity ticket I still belive that obama deserve the right to choose his own vp so please cnn and so called clinton supporters stop pushing this.

June 7, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  21. Les-Wa

Like David Rivera it will be cold day in hell before I support noname. I will pull the lever for McCain in November if Hillary is not the nominee for the Democratic Party after Denver Convention. I'm not voting for the party, I am ELECTING a person BEST to lead this country, McCain is my second choice to lead this county, NONAME is at the bottom of the ocean in my lists.</b?

June 7, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  22. Dandelion.

"... that man!" oh really? say what you really mean.

June 7, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  23. Deborah Calimese

If There is one thing I know about my sister Hillary Clinton Is that she is a DEMOCRAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am a Democrat and follow her.

HillaryworkingforDemocratin 08

June 7, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  24. Still for Hill

Only Hill gets my vote.

June 7, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  25. Richard, FL

“I will work my heart out to make sure that Senator Obama is the next president, and I hope and pray that you will join me."

Without any doubt, HILLARY SUPPORTERS WHO WILL VOTE FOR McCAIN believe:
    (1) she isn’t telling the truth or
    (2) she is just for her party and doesn't care at all what happens to our country or
    (3) she's so ignorant that she can’t figure out how bad Obama is

Their actions show how little respect they really had for her and how little they trust her.

June 7, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |