June 7th, 2008

Couple divided on what happens next

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Hillary Clinton urged supporters at her final rally Saturday to back Barack Obama with the same enthusiasm they'd had for her presidential bid - but not everyone was ready to follow her instruction.

Arms crossed, David Rivera of Baltimore told a reporter that "it will be a cold day down there before I support - that man." The nomination, he said, had been "stolen" from Clinton. "She won the popular vote, the people wanted her. [Democratic National Committee chairman] Howard Dean didn't."

But his wife Maria said she was ready to follow Clinton's example. "In campaigns, there are winners, and there are losers," she said. "You can't sit and think about what went wrong forever. You have to move forward."

She said she belonged to a grassroots group of nearly two dozen Clinton supporters who called and canvassed for her in the days leading up to Maryland's presidential primary, and that nearly all of them have now decided to volunteer for Obama.

1. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

The national nightmare will continue.

Look how many people still support McBush jr and this Bush crime family.

Mcwar is almost as popular as Obama or Hillary.

No the national nightmare will be over when most Americans come to terms with what they have become after decades of conditioning by the capitalist media and the industrial military complex.

Capitalism will warp the minds of its citizens with greed and desires for imperialism.

The nightmare continues until most Americans repent for their imperialism and war mongering.

Mcwar bombed men women and children and we called him a war hero.

I don’t see the nightmare ending any time soon we prefer to blame our politicians

June 7, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  2. ADAM Florida

America needs to change even if it causes civil war we need change.

June 7, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  3. victor

SPRING GET OFF THE BLOG. He was very grateful on tuesday for everything Clinton has done. Do you think she was listening to him? Spare me you garbage attitude. THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY HAS NO TIME OR SPACE FOR THIS SILLINESS.

June 7, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  4. Nora Spencer

David Rivera has the right idea, there is no way I will ever vote for an unqualified candidate whose resume could be printed on a postcard just because the DNC thinks it has latched onto the MTV set.

June 7, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  5. Jesse

What do Clinton and McCain have in common... NOTHING!

Why would people be so dumb as to say they would support the complete oposite?

Anyone who is a Democrat would never support Bush/McCain

I'm just wondering if people are really that self centered?

June 7, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  6. JB

In response to the Clinton crossovers to McCain.....if the reason for it is based on the fact that experience is a major factor..GREAT..thats also my reason. I do not dislike Obama...He does have a thin resume and I feel Clinton is the stronger candidate. I agree with Hill4Perez...you don't promote the mailroom clerk to the CEO position no matter how bright he or she may be...they would have to season their qualifications and gain valuable experience as time goes by...I simply feel McCain has more experience and is more qualified than he is at this time. Obama may have vast potential just like that new grad starting his way up the ladder...but I just can't promote him to the highest position in the country even if his views are similar to Hillary's!

June 7, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  7. lyn hart

I'm Hillary supporter. There's no way I'm going to support for Obama. I'm so disappointed with the DNC party . It's time to change party affiliation. DNC annointed Obama as their nominee. DNC leaders , you must be dreaming; people might vote Democrats for congress and elect McCain as the President. We'll show you DNC superdelegates how disappointed are we!

June 7, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  8. King

what does Hillary want? To control the country and wait for her to do things at her own time.
    Thank God we live in a free world where we can stop two dynasties that have controlled our country the last 30 years!

June 7, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  9. Jessica

I really hope we can all come together now and support Obama.

McCain is a pro-life, senile, warmonger, and he would be the worst thing for America, for our children, for our economy, for our future. McCain is a mistake.

If you respect Hillary and everything she stands for help us put a democrat in the white house.

June 7, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  10. kevin

You better believe it's going to be a cold day there before this typical white guy votes for Obama. Already DENOUNCED my Democratic party and have a McCain sign in my yard!!

June 7, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  11. LJackson

To spring: So while Obama waited 4 days for her to concede, he was supposed to be there? She didn't treat him appropriately when he won the nomination. His victory was way more historic on Tuesday and she could have done better by him. Either way, they have both worked hard and they deserve a rest. I'd like to see the average American do what they did for the last 16 months and stil have their sanity. Obama spent 10 days with his family last year and you have the nerve to criticize him for golfing? Don't hate. Appreciate.

June 7, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  12. Generation X

Look out Democrats the Republicans are still playing Operation Chaos because they know their are going to lose in Novemeber. Guess what Republicans, you need to worry about old man, McCain and stop worrying about Hillary and Obama. ROTHLMAO

June 7, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  13. Nurul Aman

As expected, Sen. Clinton delivered a remarkable speech with utmost generosity and promise to support the Fall Election for Sen. Obama. I think her message was more of a serious and sincere alliance than just a formal endorsement.

I also hope Sen. Clinton will continue her remarkable engagement in politics with her relentless commitment to change this country from its long history of discrimination, unfairness, and prejudice to a new land of opportunity and equality for everyone in real sense.

June 7, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  14. Harerta Tesfa

I suspect there will be those who will not support Obama no matter what simply because they aren't ready to support a non-white for presidency anyway. However, most of Clinton's supporter are democrats first and were supporting her because they believed she represented their democratic ideal better (needless to say Obama supporters believed the same about their candidate), and therefore they will not vote for someone ( McCain) that is in total contrast to their ideals. Let's not get too excited about negative comments now, and instead let's allow time to do its healing job–it always does. Ultimately, each and everyone of us we will have to vote with our conscience–with what we think will be good for our people, country , and humanity at large.

June 7, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  15. Margie, Atlanta, ga

HRC will be president one day. CNN I hope you are now happy that you have crowned your prince. Lets see what happens in NOV. Do not underestimate the power of women. This nomination was stolen from HRC just like Bush stole from Gore.
    Lets just see what happens.

June 7, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  16. Marie1

I was proud to be a woman a black 65 year old woman. Hillary made history although she did not wind the race she open doors that once was locked to women. I did not support Hillary, my first choice was John Edwards and later Barack Obama. I am very proud of Hillary I always have been.What ever she decides to do next I am sure that it will be a trail blazer that's what she do.

to those who would vote for McCain, don't cut off your nose to spite your face. We all need help now another four years of Bush will destroy Americans. Vote with you mind and not your heart.

June 7, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  17. Marilyn

I'm with you, David. It will be McCain for me in November.

June 7, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  18. Ennis, LA

We all expected this "we was robbed" business, didn't we?
    Latino Democrats like David Rivera never accepted Obama
    as a legitimate candidate and never will. Let them vote for
    McCain. Hasta La Vista, baby!

June 7, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  19. Chris M.

The popular vote was disputable, Mr. Rivera. Think about your country, not yourself.

June 7, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  20. Wise White Guy

I can tell you one thing. The talk about Hillary as VP needs to stop. If you are going to go on hard core about it then you at least have to know one reason it cannot happen so you can just get past it. This is as true as the sky is blue so to be informed you need to know. Look on Youtube for Hillary Uncensored. It is about Paul V Clinton. She knows full well she cannot be offered the position becasue of just this one thing so you all need to stop pushing it. Her role is going to be on the stump and that is that. If Obama does not win i can tell you that we WILL blame Hillary and it will be a cold day in hell that she gets the Dem nomination. Its up to you. You cannot say you support Hillary and then go against what she specifically told you today. As i suspect most of the posters who are still claiming to be Hillary and are still anti Obama are just idiot Republican posers who think they are so smart and are going to influence our party. WE WILL NOT BE DIVIDED AND MCSAME WILL LOSE IN A LANDSLIDE. So many Repubs who are scared to death right now. If only they turned off Rush and Savage and Fox Spew they might learn what is best for this country.

June 7, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  21. RR

Hillary supporters that act like spoiled children are completely missing the point. WE NEED A DEMOCRAT IN OFFICE, end of story.

If these psychophants don't get their heads out of their you-know-what soon, they'll make sure we have NO democrat in the white house and here's what's at stake:

More war: Enter, the draft. All you men and women crying about Obama need to remember that your children, YOUR CHILDREN may very well wind up in Iran or Iraq during another GOP term. YOU STILL WANT TO SHUN OBAMA?

Economy continues to stink: The rich get richer and poor get poorer. Fact of life in a GOP white house. Enjoy your long stands in the unemployment, food stamp, gas pump and welfare lines over the next 4 years in another GOP white house. Just when you thought it couldn't get worse, we get McBush in the white house because crybabies like YOU couldn't think straight after Hillary lost the nomination. Could you grow up please?

Oh, this gets even better! Supreme courts justices? Ok, who the heck needs Roe v Wade anyway? Look forward to the oversexed youth of this country dying and getting mangled in back allies from dirty knives because YOU chose to put another GOP conservative in the white house instead of voting for OUR PARTY'S NOMINEE!

Go ahead - but when things in this country go from bad to worse, and you KNEW you could have voted for change and didn't I will personally hold YOU responsible. So will the rest of the world.

Sleep well my fellow democrat....if you really ARE one!

June 7, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  22. Larry

HMMM my post didnt show up, Probably because i used the word fools, better then the names us Hilary democrats for McCain are being called.

June 7, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  23. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

McCain didn't read the intelligence report before the invasion (nor did Clinton); Obama did–he is one of a tiny minority of people who took time to read it.

McCain voted for the war (as did Clinton); Obama argued against it. He has consistently said it was an unnecessary, unjust war.

WHY SHOULD WE TRUST MCCAIN TO SECURE OUR NATION HE VOTED TO SEND 4100 AMERICANS TO THERE DEATH. WHY DID HE VOTE THIS WAY? JUST TO AGREE WITH BUSH, AND VOTE JUST THE WAY BUSH TOLD HIM?

Bush, McCain, GOP and CLINTON voted to send 4100 troops to there death and for what? That is the real story here!

1. Is Iran stronger or weaker since Bush/McCain’s invasions of Iraq?

2. Has Osama bin Laden been killed or captured since Bush/McCain’s invasion of Iraq?

3. Are we paying more for gas now or before Bush/McCain’s invasion of Iraq?

4. Is our economy better of now or before Bush/McCain’s invasion of Iraq?

5. Is the White Houses creditability better now or before Bush/McCain’s invasion of Iraq?

6. Is the budget deficit higher now or before Bush/McCain’s invasion of Iraq?

7. Is the Middle East more peaceful now or before Bush/McCain’s invasion of Iraq?

8. Do we have more American Solders dead or before Bush/McCain’s invasion of Iraq?

June 7, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  24. Harry

Hillary controlled her supporters misleading them that she is going to win and didn't bother to tell them the math is against her. Now she is dealing with a huge mess after too late. Let her go back to Arkansa and retire there with Bill.
    This is exactly how they could have controlled this country and mislead people with wrong information. I can not wait to have my country back after what I went through the last 8years. After all two families occupied the white house the last 28years and may be we could have done alot with other smart people with fresh ideas.

I lost my cousin because I voted for bush and now I have learnt my lesson.........................

June 7, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |