June 7th, 2008

Couple divided on what happens next

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Hillary Clinton urged supporters at her final rally Saturday to back Barack Obama with the same enthusiasm they'd had for her presidential bid - but not everyone was ready to follow her instruction.

Arms crossed, David Rivera of Baltimore told a reporter that "it will be a cold day down there before I support - that man." The nomination, he said, had been "stolen" from Clinton. "She won the popular vote, the people wanted her. [Democratic National Committee chairman] Howard Dean didn't."

But his wife Maria said she was ready to follow Clinton's example. "In campaigns, there are winners, and there are losers," she said. "You can't sit and think about what went wrong forever. You have to move forward."

She said she belonged to a grassroots group of nearly two dozen Clinton supporters who called and canvassed for her in the days leading up to Maryland's presidential primary, and that nearly all of them have now decided to volunteer for Obama.

1. suzyq

Obama went golfing and planned no public appearances to respect Hillary and give her and her supporters the stage, For all the women who vote for McCain, line up your children and grandchildren for the draft – bombing is always the answer. Hillary powerfully and graciously conceded. There was nothing wrong with the process until Hillary lost AND most importantly, the Michigan unofficial primary was found to be "flawed"so Hillary didn't win the popular vote, the most states, or the most delegates. I was for Hillary but I am not going to sit here and have our country ruined, our homes lost, our young men and women killed in war because of McSame. Besides, if you stay behind her she is certain to win in 2016 – we can have 16 years of decent government "for the people" not "for the rich". Vote Obama -08

June 7, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  2. Lourdes

Spring – Obama has been working *tirelessly* for 16 months...he had some r and r already planned with his fam; give the guy a break!

Thank you Michael in Glendale Arizona...I think most Hillary Clinton supporters will find that their values are more important than their feelings of loss. We must stand united against the war, for alternative energy, against reliance on oil, for *real* education reform, universal healthcare, equality, women's rights, gay rights, and on and on and on.

Personally, I'd like to see Hillary as Secretary of State - I think that's a very honorable position and would allow her to use her impressive leadership skills.

June 7, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  3. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I say to David Rivera, "it will be a cold day down there" if you don't support the democrat party. And Mr. David Rivera, "that man" you referred to is Sen. Barack Obama and respectfully I'm sure he would not refer to you in the same manner. And Hillary in her wisdom has chosen to support Barack Obama because she is a democrat first and she graciously asked for your support to do the same. Raise the bar.

June 7, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  4. Cindy

I think the most poignant point she made in the speech was that in the 4 decades she's been involved in politics, there've been only 3 terms of Democrats. That'll be 12 years to 28 for the Republicans. That's a lot of years of voting against our own interests. How much more obvious could it be?

The Dems were blessed with 2 historic candidates this year. Don't squander this opportunity to elect one of them, to elect another Republican. The war, the economy, environment, our future, is at stake. Don't squander this opportunity to change the direction of our country.

June 7, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  5. Stephanie from AL

It saddens me everytime I read that a Democrat would rather support McCain than their parties candidate. While each individual is entitled to vote their convictions... but Republicans and Democrats want different things... I don't understand how a true supporter of Clinton could possibly support someone that is against everything she is for.

June 7, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  6. lynn

Good for Hillary. Now her supporters need to look at the big picture and follow her example. To vote for McCain just because your candidate lost the nomination is childish. This country needs a change in direction and that is NOT McCain.

June 7, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  7. Greg,WI

So let me get this right... Some of the immature Clinton supporters are upset because Obama took a vacation after a 16 month grueling campaign? Man, what a horrible guy?

How do you people know that he didn't listen to Clinton's speech? They have these devices known as radios. They also may have, just may have discussed what she was going to say in their hour long meeting? Perhaps?

Both sides need to grow up. Immature Obama supporters... we need the Clinton supporters come November. Stop berating or calling them horrid names.

And to the Clinton supporters who want to vote for McCain. That is your choice, but you have to remember what you are getting with McCain. Roe vs Wade WILL be overturned under a McCain administration after he gets to appoint 2 supreme court justices. Do you really want to lose your right to choose ladies? McCain WILL attack Iran. Do you want to lose a few thousand more good men and women in another needless war? Can your conscience really take knowing that you voted for the man who was responsible for those few thousand lives? I know mine wouldn't be able to and I hope we can all come to our senses.

June 7, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  8. Wise White Guy

Stop with the Golf thing. So ridiculous! If he was at the speech you would have said he was stealing her moment. If he wasnt at it you would complain he shows no respect for women. You sound like a bunch of hens. If there is any gender bias you are the reason for it with posts like that.

June 7, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  9. Kara

Michael –

"Do you really think Obama would have gotten this far if he was not capable or qualified? "

This is exactly what many were saying about Geo. W. Bush when he was running in 2000 against McCain for the Republican nom. and you see what we got?

Obama is to the Democrats what Bush was to the Republicans!

NEVER vote for Obama, you will be sorry. As many Repubs are sorry for their support for Bush. Learn from their mistake.

June 7, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  10. Ramona

Stop with the golf comments--he was trying to give her an unobstructed walk in the sun. It was polite......what he was expected to do. And you know that.

Nice speech......sorta. It would be a lot easier to praise her for trying to heal the rift in the party if she hadn't created it.

June 7, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  11. marie

To Spring For your information Obama saw Hillarys speech on the computer in the car on his way to play golf. So next time please get the facts straight, and as far as popular vote goes they did not count the caucous states as if those states didnt matter, so if you count those states he actually won the popular vote, so please get facts straight.

June 7, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  12. Charlotte

Everyone who supported Hillary, "Please get over all the negative attitudes"! Stop being bitter. We all have love for Hillary even "Obama supporters". But you do not show that love in competition. So please, stop trying to influence people with your negative blasphemies!!!

June 7, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  13. RONNIE

I agree with David Rivera ! Hillary for President.We can only hope a scandal brings Obama down.Surely he has had an affair,his wife looks meaner than dirt.

June 7, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  14. Isaac

How can anyone rationally say that the election was "stolen" from Hillary? With the exception of the 120+ advantage she had among the super delegates, she has been behind from the get-go. Popular vote doesn't count because several states use the Caucus system.

No one is entitled to the Presidency!

June 7, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  15. Derek

Hillary supporters need to turn to McCain's side. We do not need a a person who lacks foreign relations and armed services experience to represent us around the world.

He's pretty much saying to our enemies

Obama (Oh Bomb Us)

June 7, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  16. KOJ

If certain persons are going to post under various names and email addresses pretending to be multiple people than at least have the common sense to change your writing style a bit. The guy (s)/gal(s) advocating an Obama/Kansas govenor ticket is a good example.

It was a good speech. It does and will not instantly convert those hardcore HRC supporters. Obama will have to do that. or McCain may be doing/saying something outrageous.

I continue to astounded at the politically stupid things HRC and BRO do at the worst possible time. Letting the press see you going to the links before someone with over 17 million votes and a lot of still bitter supporters endorses you probably wasn't the most savvy thing to do. It just re-enforcesthe direspect complaints.

June 7, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  17. RTB

A well deserved game of golf for Obama.

Thank you to Hillary for making that speech.

The well funded Republican slime machine are now trying to take advantage of disenfranchised Clinton supporters, be aware and stay strong.

June 7, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  18. bk

I hope the DNC and CNN are happy now. We have a surprise for you in Nov. We will never vote for a man we do not trust. Donna Brazille said she did not need our vote anyway, and thats fine with us. She won't get it. Jamal and Roland you can spin all your crap about McCain now and see if anybody believes you. Jack Cafferty they should fire you. We will vote McCain at least we know he loves this country.

June 7, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  19. lynn

One more thing to Spring... that is the dumbest statement I've heard to day!!! He's like Bush?!?!?! That's a laugh!! No, he shouldn't chose her, he would then have to carry all of their baggage too.

OBAMA 08!!!

June 7, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  20. Hillary supporter in Rhode Island

I have listen to Hillary Clintons speech today, and I will not support Obama now or in the future.

I will cast my vote in favor of McCain. Why the disrespectful behavior of Obama, his supporters like Wexler.

The remarks that he has made in his speeches directed at Hillary Clinton, has shown me that he never had nor does he have respect for her as a person or as a woman.

This forty nine year old woman will do my best to make sure I get the word out to vote for McCain.

If Hillary Clinton wants to run as an Independent it will be my pleasure to cast my vote for her.

June 7, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  21. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

Shove the "popular vote" argument... te math was specious and SHE LOST...

and I AM SO GLAD!!!!

June 7, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  22. Justmy02

'I will have to think about it.' Isn't that what Michello Obama said she'd do if Hillary became the candidate? If it's good enough for her, it's good enough for me...

I may just have to go with my conscience and stay at home in November because, quite frankly, I cannot bring myself to vote for a candidate in whom I do not believe. I do not believe in Obama–he has not shown me any good reason to believe–and I certainly don't want another four years of Repubs.

June 7, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  23. JOYCE

A SMART LADY THINKING OF HER COUNTRY AND HER PARTY, THE HUSBAND NEEDS TO GET OVER IT.
    and the angry hillary supporters

if you dishorner her request, you will cost her the election in 2016.
    if she can be an adult
    WHY CAN'T YOU OR DID YOU NOT LIKE HER TO START?
    YOU SHOULD HORNER HER WISHES IF YOU SUPPORTED HER AND STOP ACTING LIKE A SPOILED BRAT

CNN POST THIS IT IS IMPORTANT

June 7, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  24. Spider

Michael in Glendale Arizona-

I agree with you Mike. I cannot switch to McCain at this time. Both of these candidates will have to prove their worth to me. McCain says he is not the third coming of Bush. He will have to convince me of that. Obama says "Hope and Change" He will have to explain to me how he is gonna accomplish this change. He can't expect to just hope for it, or he will just be hoping for my vote.

This ain't my first rodeo. I have voted before. But, previously, I was solidly behind my party's nominee, even if he had beaten my preference. Not this year. It is starting with a clean slate. Earn my vote, fellas. I will not vote just to get my party's candidate in office ever again. There is my contribution to Change. That's how I'm gonna accomplish it.

June 7, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  25. annie

obama does not have enough respect to listen to Clinton's speech – the golf course was more important to him.

GO McCAIN!!!!