June 7th, 2008

Couple divided on what happens next

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Hillary Clinton urged supporters at her final rally Saturday to back Barack Obama with the same enthusiasm they'd had for her presidential bid - but not everyone was ready to follow her instruction.

Arms crossed, David Rivera of Baltimore told a reporter that "it will be a cold day down there before I support - that man." The nomination, he said, had been "stolen" from Clinton. "She won the popular vote, the people wanted her. [Democratic National Committee chairman] Howard Dean didn't."

But his wife Maria said she was ready to follow Clinton's example. "In campaigns, there are winners, and there are losers," she said. "You can't sit and think about what went wrong forever. You have to move forward."

She said she belonged to a grassroots group of nearly two dozen Clinton supporters who called and canvassed for her in the days leading up to Maryland's presidential primary, and that nearly all of them have now decided to volunteer for Obama.

1. Kim, Studio City, CA

THIS IS A LETTER I JUST SENT TO THE DNC. NO DONATIONS, NO SUPPORT, UNLESS HILLARY IS ON THE TICKET AS VP.

DNC, DO YOU WANT A REPEAT OF 1968? YOU HAVE ALREADY BLUNDERED BY NOT NOMINATING THE MOST QUALIFIED CANDIDATE. DO NOT DISRESPECT HILLARY'S 18 MILLION SUPPORTERS.
    WE WANT HILLARY ON THE TICKET; NOT BECAUSE WE ARE ANGRY...BUT BECAUSE WE WANT HER INPUT IN THE NEXT ADMINISTRATION, AND BECAUSE WE BELIEVE THAT AN OBAMA/CLINTON TICKET IS THE SURE PATH TO VICTORY IN NOVEMBER.

BY THE WAY, I AM NOT AN ELDERLY, WHITE WOMAN, NOR AM I UNDEDUCATED. ALL DAY I HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO THE MEDIA AND DEMOCRATIC PARTY BIG WIGS SAYING HOW OBAMA MUST COURT THESE TWO CAMPS.

YOU ARE OVERLOOKING A LOT OF THE 18 MILLION. I AM A THIRTY YEAR OLD WHITE WOMAN WITH A BA, A MASTERS, AND A PHD ....WITH MONEY TO DONATE.

IF HILLARY IS NOT ON THE TICKET, I WILL NOT DONATE ANY MONEY TO THE DNC OR OBAMA, AND I WILL EXPRESS BY DISPLEASURE BY VOTING FOR MCCAIN.

THIS MORNING I HOSTED A BREAKFAST IN LOS ANGELES TO WATCH THE SPEECH. ONE HUNDRED MEN AND WOMEN IN THEIR THIRTIES ATTENDED. WE TOOK A POLL AFTER HILLARY'S SPEECH.

98 PEOPLE SAID THEY WOULD NOT DONATE OR VOTE FOR OBAMA UNLESS HILLARY IS THE VP.

DNC, DON'T BLOW IT THIS TIME. GIVE US DEMS THE DREAM TICKET AND THE VICTORY

June 7, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  2. Michelle

Still voting for McCain.

June 7, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  3. Aaron

I'm astounded that anyone who supported Hillary would contemplate voting for McSame or not voting at all! You couldn't have been much of a Hillary supporter if you'd vote against the issues both she and Obama share just to be spiteful.
    Hillary has put aside her own ambitions and disappointment to stand behind the candidate who will best serve the interests of all our citizens and her party. If you supported Hillary, as I did, then you should continue to support her wishes for a united party working for her most cherished goals.
    Vote for McSame or not vote at all, and, as she said in her consession speach, you will break her heart. Is that how you would show your final support for this remarkable woman? If so you should be ashamed.

June 7, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  4. carl Indep.Mo.

Whats the difference Bob when she made this speech? Sounds like the same hatred in this election , I for one hopes that Obama picks someone besides Hillary for his VP spot..I have read bloggers today on different sites and different articles covering this day and Hillary's speech and still there is so much hatred coming out of the Obama camp..it's very sad. "she should have made this speech 4 days ago" or "she didnt talk enough about Obama" on and on and on..so much hatred ...it's down out pitiful ....

McCain 08

June 7, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  5. LIAR OBAMA

You people who say you were for Hillary and now for obama lie like dogs.
    You never were for Clinton. Well, this Clinton supporter will NEVER vote for the racist and liar obama. If you're stupid enough to believe his crap then help yourself.....but not me.
    My vote will go for the best man running.....John McCain.

June 7, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  6. robeert fuller

Hillory shmillory!! What choice did she have!! Boy his women is slick ! But she doesnt fool every one . I,m not and American and thank God!! If Obama picks her as VP it will be his first big mistake!!! Mark me!!! God protect you Obama.

June 7, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  7. John

What next? Fixing our healthcare. Hillary doesn't rule the world. She is a scotch earth politician who doesn't acknowledge others win. Her speech was self serving most of it and some line about Obama which seemed like a mock.
    Now let's move forward after this woman set us backwards injecting race and sexism in this campaign.

She didn't win because she is Clinton with baggage that seem no one want to carry forward Period!

June 7, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  8. Jerry

To Hillary supporters:

I have supported Obama After Edwards(my prefered candidate) and like you will have to chose another. My own support of Obama has noting to do with race or sex and I hope that this race has ended this once and for all. I just would like Hillary's supporters to know that not supporting Hillary was a decision made because of her and Bill's sordid past. I wish I could elaborate on what I know but I can't because CNN would never allow this post to fly if I did this. I would have gladly supported another woman in a presidential contest and would gladly support a woman in the future. Just not that particular woman. Now lets move on to the real problem of getting Bush and the Republicans out of office. We need your help for the larger common good of America. We will wecome you with open arms
    yes WE can

June 7, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  9. Chris in Michigan

I do not understand how any reasonable adult can say the election was "stolen" from her. Obama won the delegates, which is what nominates the candidate. Clinton folks understood that delegates are king at the beginning of the process and the smart ones still do. Her campaign made really bad decisions by not competing hard in the caucaus states.

She only won the popular vote by using very fuzzy math. By including my state, Michigan, in which the choices were Clinton, Dodd, Kucinich and undeclared. And by not including most caucauses. If that is the math you subscribe to, then you are blinded by your devotion to Hillary. Even if that is your math, you still have to ignore the fact that he won more states and more delegates.

You have to ignore a lot of facts to think she is deserving of the nomination.

June 7, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  10. JfromNC

I am so tired of the people who say Obama stole the election or that it was given to him by the DNC. Without Michigan, Obama leads in the popular vote. This was always a race for delegates and Obama's team understood that from the beginning. They put together a brilliant campaign to win the delegate count and planned a 50 state campaign. You can be sad that you lost, but don't try to diminish the fact that Obama ran a good campaign and won fair and square.

June 7, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  11. bk

I feel exactly like David does.

June 7, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  12. Kim, Studio City, CA

VOTE OBAMA/CLINTON 08, If HILLARY IS NOT THE VP,

VOTE FOR MCCAIN. DNC AND THE MEDIA NEED TO GET THIS

MESSAGE: WE WOMEN WHO SUPPORT HILLARY WILL NOT SIT

DOWN AND BE QUIET. WE WLL VOTE FOR MCCAIN IF HILLARY IS NOT THE VP.

June 7, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  13. Olivia

I suggest you ladies wait to see how he treats Hillary ( and Bill, since he clumped them together during the campaign). Why so quick to jump on the bandwagon? Were you really for Hillary?

Let him EARN your vote. He wasn't the best candidate but he got the nomination thru dubious means. He has to be worthy of the highest position in this country, and we do have many many problems facing us.

June 7, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  14. Obama08 but...

keyword "suspend" She has not stopped her campaign completely. Everyone should just hold their horses. I still see Hillary Clinton against John McCain in November.

June 7, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  15. Michelle

Folks, let's judge the candidates on their own merits and not
    equate them with other leaders.

Both unfair statements:

McCain is same as Bush

wrong!

Obama is same as Carter

wrong!

June 7, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  16. victor

Easy that was gust plain sad

June 7, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  17. California Girl

After listening to Hillary's phenominal speech today, I hope Obama makes the best decision to add Hillary to his ticket for VP.
    It will be the DREAM TICKET.

OBAMA/HILLARY

June 7, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  18. Obama Supporter

Hillary was gracious today in her historic speech. Please, put your bitterness and disappointment aside, follow Hillary's example and help elect a our Democratic nominee, Obama, for President. Hillary will have a great future in politics–she's only warming up.

June 7, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  19. Ledia

Listen to your wife David! A vote to Mcain is a vote against everything that Hillary has faught for and stands for. EVERYBODY knows it's not about the popular vote, it's about the delegates. He didn't steal it, Obama won it. Why would you deny his victory?

June 7, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  20. Deborah S

My great-grandfather was the chairman of the Democratic Party in Hawaii.
    For 40 years I have been a Democrat. I will no longer support the Democratic party. How dare they think they can treat us Hillary supporters the way they have. They are nothing but a bunch of boneheads. There are enough of us that can make a difference. So, Obama you better kiss Hillary"s you know what.

June 7, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  21. Rep for Obama

Hope Sen. Obama isn't persuaded by the Democrat Party machine to include Hill on the ticket. Old McNumb will use it to show the US voters he has no cojones and that the one who indeed wears the pants is Hillarious. Bill Richardson sounds like a good one - a non-partisan entrepreneur even better.

June 7, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  22. james

Didn't convince this independent to vote for the creep.

Hillary, I hope he loses so you can conscious free run in 2012 and show America what real change is all about.

Voting McCain (he is a patriot and true American) 2008 for Clinton 2012.

Never Obama.

June 7, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  23. Karen

Spring- Why should Obama not go out and play golf? He has earned the right to enjoy his leisure activities before he continues to fight people who just do not like or accept the fact that a black man is the presumptive nominee. Everything at this point is speculative with opinions flying all over the place. Give Obama a chance because the prism in which he views the world, race relations and the concerns of everyday people will be different than the politicians who are currently making decisions for Americans.

Don't forget Senator Obama did not come from a wealthy family, thereby giving him first-hand knowledge of what it like to have to work hard to keep food on the table. In addition, he has the perspective of different cultures; thereby expanding his knowledge of people.

The very rules Clinton supporters complain about are the very rules her supporters put into place years ago. Spiteful votes will not move this country forward. It's time for Americans to rally around each other and make this country great again. All Americans should have full citizenship!

June 7, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  24. Mish

I hope the hillary supporters will follow her lead and support Obama
    its the issues that count and a lot of them are her issues too
    I can say this with no doubt in my mind tho that Senaor Obama will win the presidency !!!
    if your wondering how I know that
    trust *my intuition* ..I KNOW 😉

June 7, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  25. Shirley

I will be 51 years old very soon. I remember watching RFK's funeral on the TV and some on the turbulent times of the 1960's that affected my family so well. Thanks for the show Something is Happening Here. The commentators made some great comparisons .

On another note, I would like to state that this is the first election that has peeked my interest. I have exercised my right to vote but Election 2008 brings an feeling of expectation. I turned to CNN for the most up to date news on the candidates and listen carefully to the articulate and insightful analysts discuss the candidates and the polls. I watched Senator Clinton's speech. It was the best I have ever heard her make !!!! I wholeheartedly agree that it's time for this nation to catch the air of expectation, change if you will and move towards an America that unites all people who share a common thread of humanity. As a people, we need to vote for the candidate that share our views and hopes for a better United States. Thanks Hillary for showing the world what an intelligent woman can do. Let's stay focus on the BIG picture. It's time for a change and it can only be accomplished if WE THE PEOPLE stand up and unite !

June 7, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |