June 7th, 2008

Couple divided on what happens next

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Hillary Clinton urged supporters at her final rally Saturday to back Barack Obama with the same enthusiasm they'd had for her presidential bid - but not everyone was ready to follow her instruction.

Arms crossed, David Rivera of Baltimore told a reporter that "it will be a cold day down there before I support - that man." The nomination, he said, had been "stolen" from Clinton. "She won the popular vote, the people wanted her. [Democratic National Committee chairman] Howard Dean didn't."

But his wife Maria said she was ready to follow Clinton's example. "In campaigns, there are winners, and there are losers," she said. "You can't sit and think about what went wrong forever. You have to move forward."

She said she belonged to a grassroots group of nearly two dozen Clinton supporters who called and canvassed for her in the days leading up to Maryland's presidential primary, and that nearly all of them have now decided to volunteer for Obama.

1. Operation Elephant

Check out Ron Paul, he's still in it!!

June 7, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  2. Another slap in the face

Obama goes golfing right before Hillary's speech!

Hillary Clinton was the best the Democratic Party ever had. Now the Party has self destructed! We are once again Reagan Democrats and will vote for John McCain!

June 7, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  3. Kerstin in OH

Michael in AZ is right.

I think Hillary was a good candidate for president, but crying about her loss and retaliating by voting for the opposition is senseless. It's admirable to be behind one candidate (I initially supported John Edwards), but what about backing your party, or at least standing behind your principles that made you support Clinton to begin with? How can you want Hillary for president, and consider John McCain an acceptable back-up? Use your common sense, and stop being angry and emotional about an election. That's what the Republicans like to play on, that's how they win, and look where it's gotten us.

It's a free country and you can vote for whom you choose. But when your income stagnates, when you file bankruptcy because you cannot afford your healthcare, when your son is drafted into this endless war, when your daughter is injured in a self-induced abortion because she had no choice- we're going to have a hard time feeling sympathy for your belly-aching then. And I am not playing up on your fear- that will be the reality of a John McCain presidential term!

June 7, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  4. Tamara

I am a strong supporter of Hillary Clinton. We still hear her voice and always will. She continues to show today why she has tremendous support and love from her voters.

I really believe that she should be the nominee for the Democratic party but that is not how it turned out. I do think everyone needs to stop saying what went wrong, as if they do not know. Reverse racism, sexism, media, DNC....

We all must say what John Edwards said, "She is strong as steel". I respect her decision and I know within my heart that she cares for the American people and the decisions that are before us.

It is now time for Obama to stand and prove to us that he should be President of the United States. It is not up to Clinton to rally his support he must do it himself. I am waiting to see if he can.

June 7, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  5. Kaen

To CNN Politics.com

Not that my opinion will be heard or matter since my vote, once again does not matter. After watching Hillary's speech on your network ( and yes, I was crying), I have this to say;
    I am a mother, a grandmother a US Citizen and I was an Aunt to National Guardsmen PVT. Nathan Brown who was killed Easter Sunday 2004 in Samara, Iraq.
    Unlike Michell Obama, I have ALWAYS been PROUD to be an AMERICAN.
    I would feel much safer if Hillary and Bill Clinton were in the White House again but, I guess it is not to be.
    Unfortunately, I have lost all faith in the way we elect or leaders in this country (since Al Gore had the Presidency stolen from him in 2000) and , I was dissapointed with the DNC committee's actions of last weekend.
    I am a Nurse, When I apply for a job, I have to present a RESUME of my Qualifications to explain why I am the one who should be their choice for the position. Why does that not seem to be the case when running for our country's highest office????

Yes, I am a huge supporter of Hillary Clinton. I know that she is more qualified for the office of President of the United States .
    Sadly, I feel that my voice as an AMERICAN to vote has been taken from me once again. The winner of the popular vote does not count I guess.

I will not be voting in the general election in November.

Karen, ALBANY, NEW YORK

June 7, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  6. Debbie

As I sat and watched Hillary today throw every bit of support toward Barack........her brother in her democratic party........I was very proud of the way she handled herself, her supporters and her fellow democrats....she did the right thing today........and will help lead Americans to a formidable election in November........and putting the White House back into Democratic hands......VOTE FOR BARACK

June 7, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  7. HH

I heard these same type hypocrite people say they would NEVER vote for George Bush because John McCain lost in 2000, the number was close to 40 percent, when election night rolled in over 90 percent went for Bush.

Talk is cheap and whisky costs money.

June 7, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  8. Larry from LA

Hillary only won the popular vote with here math and even at that it was by 50-100,000 votes even with her math. MSNBC had Obama winning the popular vote and CNN had using differnet senarios had both of them winning the popular. You can't give Obama ZERO votes in Michigan especially with Detroit mostly afro american. I hope people really do not think Hillary should have the nomination based on the popular.

June 7, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  9. okoto

man, follow your wife"s example that is what maturity is about.

June 7, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  10. rich

"that man" – behind closed doors means "that black man"
    more racism...big surprise.

June 7, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  11. Lilarose in Oregon

But the bottom line, Obama is a man who didn't want to campaign for the presidency.

Remember all those people cheering Rev. Pfleger for his disparaging remarks against Clinton? THEY are who wanted Obama to take the opportunity, because they thought Hillary would be a weak candidate, to push for the first black president.

And at least Obama will most likely get the nomination.

I want to support Hillary, but I can't stand Obama, and not because of his race.

Obama has no resume. Nothing to offer other than speech reading.

June 7, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  12. marty

I believe Sen. Clinton's speech portrayed her intelegence, strengh and grace. It also shows her belief in and alliance to the democratic process and party.
    I truely hope that Sen. Obama sees and appreciates these traits.
    An Obama / Clinton ticket would sweep the presidency and change the face and heart of the nation.

June 7, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  13. Herman In LA

Michael in Glendale Arizona,

You are so right and true no more of the republicans and John McCain.

Our country is so mess up because of the republicans...

We can't afford 4 more years of the same..

June 7, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  14. Bren

Hi to all:

I wanted t add to other article but it had been closed already. It's a shame that Hillary didn't get it. She has truly out performed her husband and would have out performed him as President. I would love to vote for Obama but knew from the beginning he doesn't have a clue what he's in for. We, as a country not Dem or Rep, cannot afford to help him with on the job training. I wish she wuold run independent b/c obviously her loyalty to the Dem. party was not returned back to her as seen by the Super Delegates not backing her.

June 7, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  15. Lemuel Magistrado

This is just amazing the nominee who lost has more media coverage....Can't help it people are more interested on her than Obama......Presidential campaign without Hillary Clinton is just so boooring.......Hillary you made history and you will be missed.

June 7, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  16. Harm

For the first time I saw her strenght. But still couldn't Obama congratulate with his nomination.
    Obama and Hillary will give you an ultimate Healthcare.
    Be proud America on your Democratic Party: don't divide anymore?
    Please stop to be so nasty and hateful, please unite?
    Be positieve and you have a nice day.
    Of course he have seen and heard the speech!

June 7, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  17. Carmen

It does not surprise me that Obama could not take time off his precious golf schedule, as he has always has done, to listen to Senator Clinton's speech. This is how he is going to run the country if he wins. I refuse to give him my vote, I will not vote Republican either, will sit this one out.

June 7, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  18. UNITY

It is indeed time for the Democratic Party to move forward. I agree there are winners and losers in all types of competitions. For those who wish to throw their votes away, that is your right. But make sure you are prepared to deal with possible consequences such continued appointments of radical far right wing Supreme COurt Justices, a wrecked economy, poor access to healthcare, lower than standard educational system and the list goes on. If those of you who refuse to sopport the Democractic system can live through another 4-8 years with the status quo, do what you must. But those of us who function with our eyes wide open will strongly support the Democractic ticket.

June 7, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  19. Arkansas Undertaker

I hope all of you know that a lot of these so called "Hillary Clinton" supporters that blog on these sites are Republicans posing and Democrats to divde and conquer us.

June 7, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  20. Erica

I too agree with you Michael, all those that supported her and then either decided to switch to McCain or not vote at all, makes me wonder where they every true Democrats? If she can do it to unite America, I would hope that all those who supported would want the same thing CHANGE.

It's all about USA and the people of America, lets unite and come together for CHANGE. Lets put aside or selfish attitudes and still unite with Hilliray for CHANGE, go job Senator Clinton, good job.

GO OBAMA for CHANGE

June 7, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  21. Ken

Now we can think on our own and stop being mislead by 18million figure which was not true. Good to do the math by ourself before the long haul.

June 7, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  22. Anonymous

Easy choice.

Never condone hate.

Never give a nod to destroying another human being with a campaign of hate and insults.

Stand for freedom and equality and fair elections.

Do not vote for Obama now

______________________

Before I got to the last line, I thought this comment would say "no hillary for VP."

June 7, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  23. jfk Ohio

I will try again to get a comment posted because I have only seen 1 other blogger who says what I have been thinking.

But first........ My heartfelt thanks and appreciation to Senator Clinton.
    Her speech was awesome!!! It was gracious, professional, purposeful and emotional.

Now to those who keep spewing such hatred and mistrust for Obama that they will vote for McCain:
    Hillary had 18 million votes.
    Obama had 18 million votes.
    What this should tell you is that neither campaign can win without the other. WE NEED EACH OTHER!!!!
    If Clinton supporters don't honor her values and goals for America and vote for a Republican, then if we lose the White House this election because of that, those 18 million voters are not going to support her in 2012 or 2016.

June 7, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  24. steve banicki

Hillary is no longer Bill's wife. Bill is Hillary's husband. I gained a new respect for her over these past 6-months.

June 7, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  25. Kenneth M.

Brian Knoxville, TN. Obama told the TN Rep Party to stop talking about his wife and they did it. That is how powerfull he is. If she wanted his attention she should have had made the speech on Tuesday. Look at it this way, Tuesday is for eating crow, Saturday is for Golf. Best you and Slick Hillie get your priorities in order.

June 7, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |