June 7th, 2008

Obama reacts to Clinton speech

Sen. Clinton was joined on stage by her husband, daughter, and mother before her concession speech Saturday afternoon.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Just over an hour after Sen. Hillary Clinton completed her speech endorsing Sen. Barack Obama, the presumptive Democratic nominee issued the following statement:

"Obviously, I am thrilled and honored to have Senator Clinton's support. But more than that, I honor her today for the valiant and historic campaign she has run. She shattered barriers on behalf of my daughters and women everywhere, who now know that there are no limits to their dreams. And she inspired millions with her strength, courage and unyielding commitment to the cause of working Americans. Our party and our country are stronger because of the work she has done throughout her life, and I'm a better candidate for having had the privilege of competing with her in this campaign. No one knows better than Senator Clinton how desperately America and the American people need change, and I know she will continue to be in the forefront of that battle this fall and for years to come."

Obama watched Clinton's speech over the Internet on a computer, a campaign aide said. He put in a call to Clinton afterward, but was told by a Clinton assistant that she was speaking with supporters.

In the final minutes of the speech, a top Obama strategist was pleased with the message, saying there was “no ambiguity” about her support for the presumptive Democratic nominee.

The strategist characterized the speech as “very generous” and said that he “appreciates it’s hard.”

NEW: In an e-mail sent Saturday, the Obama campaign urged supporters to help grow "our grassroots network of ordinary people giving only what they can afford. ... If you give right now, a previous donor has agreed to match your gift, doubling its impact. Help us reach our goal of 20,000 new donors by making a matching donation today."

Full story: Clinton endorses Obama, calls for unity

1. Michael in Glendale Arizona

Hill4Prez,

I too supported Hillary. However, for you or anyone else who switches over to McCain is a vote AGAINST EVERYTHING that Hillary stands for.

Do you really think Obama would have gotten this far if he was not capable or qualified?

I hope that any Clinton supporters that say they will switch to McCain realize that it goes against everything Hillary stands for, and that it is really selfish, spiteful, petty, and childish.

I'm sorry Hillary lost, but I will NOT vote for more of the same policies and economic conditions that I have endured over the past 7 1/2 years under the Bush administration.

June 7, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  2. joe

We want oprah or caroline kennedy as VP.
    Forget Hillary.She could run again in 2012. President Mccain will be too old by then.
    Roland martin as secretary of bs and borger and campbell as sec of nose jobs and cafferty as secretary of boring.

June 7, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  3. Travis (in the real world)

She said what she had to say, BUT DIDN'T MEAN IT....she's still into the ME nonesense...the Clinton's spin machine is hoping Barak will take one little slip, then you'll see her pop out of the bushes and say.....I'LL TAKE OVER...ME ME ME PLEASE.

June 7, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  4. Sam Rose

Hillary was gracious but not generous–
    I guess she is working on it-so some credit is due for the gracious-ness-
    Lets hope she is authentic in all that she said today–and that Obama is the next President of the United States--

June 7, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  5. Leader of the people

SHE had my love, my trust, my support and my vote.

She can not transfer it to Obama.

His hateful, insulting, demeaning, filthy supporters took care of that long ago.

God speed, my champion.

June 7, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  6. VP

OBAMA/HILLARY 08

June 7, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  7. Tonya

Barack Obama personally agreed to meet Hillary Clinton at her home. They've spoken and they've healed wounds. Yes, she gave her Speech today and I'm sureBarack had some idea of what her speech today would entail. This Man have gone nearly 16 months straight, daily speeches, meetings, rallys, advertisements, clearly full blast, wouldn't all agree he should have one weekend free before he starts full blast again for the General Election.

You just can't satisfy everybody. Hillary should have been more considerate on Tuesday night and gave this speech then; however, she needed the rest of the week to beg her supporters for more donations to repay her debt.

So, why should Barack sit in front of a TV watching more speeches after the fact. Barack you fought a hard fight. Enjoy your family and relax, before getting back on the trail.

As for Hillary Clintons supporters, like I said before, you can't please everybody and as much as Hillary herself has said, there is not that much of a difference between her and Barack's views. The fact that you know this and are still willing to vote for McCain t puzzles me. Perhaps you should . Go right ahead because this means you're clearly on the same level as Bush and McCain (Senseless)!

June 7, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  8. Observer

CNN is always looking for drama. Why on earth would you water down Senator Hillary's great speech, but squeezing in some golf. This is pathetic. As a writer, the text on this should not include such rubbish.

June 7, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |