June 8th, 2008

Feinstein: Obama-Clinton meeting was meant to be a secret

Sen. Dianne Feinstein hosted a private meeting for Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.

(CNN) - Sen. Dianne Feinstein on Sunday gave new details about the private meeting Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton held in her home, saying it was “meant to be a secret,” but “it didn’t quite end up like that.”

Clinton and Obama got together privately in Feinstein’s Washington home Thursday. It was their first meeting since Obama became the presumptive Democratic nominee.

Feinstein, D-California, said the session came about after she told Clinton that Obama had said he would meet with her anywhere, anytime.

Clinton told Feinstein she wanted to talk with Obama, but she expressed concern about having to make a press statement about the discussions.

Feinstein said she then offered up her house as a potential meeting place because it would be private. She said Clinton called her around 6 p.m. Thursday, and they scheduled the meeting for 8:30 p.m.

“I thought how wonderful that they had a chance just to be alone, to kind of feel each other out with respect to where they were,” she said Sunday on CNN’s “Late Edition.”

The talks began at 9 p.m. and lasted about an hour, said Feinstein. Feinstein endorsed Clinton’s presidential campaign last summer but she's now standing behind Obama.

A joint statement from the candidates said only that the candidates "had a productive discussion about the important work that needs to be done to succeed in November."

Feinstein said they did not debrief her afterward, but she said both were laughing at the end.

“I thought that was a very good sign,” she said. “And they left. That was it.”

Feinstein said she served them water and worked upstairs as the meeting took place.

1. king from toronto

question?? why cnn keep letting tru so much negative comments??? and not more positive comments?? play ur part cnn!!! play ur part!

June 8, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  2. Mildred, Miama

Why did Hillary only suspend her campaign as opposed to shutting it down? Does she think or know something will happen to derail Obama?

June 8, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  3. William, from Cali

"Secrets" , amongst DemocRATS! I don't think sooooooooooo.........

June 8, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  4. true Dem

This true democrat will now leave the new UNdemocratic party of avid haters.

That is not the party I belonged to all my life.

Hate will NEVER unite.

When you learn that lesson and respect and tolerance... I may come back.

June 8, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  5. Tammy/Indiana

Mark,

True Obama is new; however, he has many of the same ideas as Mrs. Clinton. Take the time to listen before you decide to waste your vote. If Hillary can back him, maybe you can.

Democrats 08

June 8, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  6. Lyonn from SF

It is not Obama's fault why I am not voting for him! It is simply his followers own doing that made us Clinton supporters upset! This will not heal for a very long time.

June 8, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  7. JSS

Cynic, Cynic, Cynic....

June 8, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  8. Anthony

It is the 24 hour news cycle where the news has stopped being about what happened and is now about 50 different kinds of speculation and punditry to fill the time.

Anyone can meet with anybody and the press does not HAVE to know what is going on.

June 8, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  9. me in dc

Though I'm not a Hillary supporter, I was moved by her speech yesterday. I'm disturbed that there are so many angry middle-aged women who support Clinton. It was a fair race. Some are acting like spoiled children who don't like to lose. I've heard a lot say they'll vote McCain. That's their choice. But if they do, be prepared to live with the consequences.

June 8, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  10. Kenneth M.

I wish more of Hillies supporters thought like Mark. Just say home and suck your thumbs. We the true demeocrats will fight the good fight. If she did not lose she would be the nom. Mark hopes we lose in Iraq, and hopes the Dems lose the GE because he wants to take his marbles and go home. Poor Poor Mark et al.

June 8, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  11. Vote Mccain

Obama Was Selected, Not Elected

Obama was giving his selection speech (it can’t be a victory speech, he did not win) and he started it off by pulling his grandma from under the bus. He acknowledged her and the fact that she raised him and he said that tonight was for her. He said she was in Hawaii and could not make it because of her health. I guess it is all the same, he does not want a typical white person around him anyway.

I have to admit, the guy gives a good speech and he really gets the crowd into it. Then again, so did Hitler and we know how that ended. Obama is saying a lot of nothing and he is inspiring a lot of people with promises he cannot keep. It is unfortunate that so many Americans are absolutely clueless with regard to this guy and with politics in general.

But then again, what should we expect from a group of people who cried about Bush being “selected” and not elected while acting as if Obama, who really was selected rather than elected, as if he is the second coming of the messiah

June 8, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  12. true Dem

I'll vote for Obama when the "new" democrats learn the one precious lesson: hate does not unite.

Calling the other candidate disrespectful names like pig, and HO and B-tch... just won't force our vote.

Calling other democrats ignorant, stupid, uninformed, uneducated, dirty, filthy racist inbred morons.... Well, yep... that will do it.

I'm sure everyone will come aboard now.

Try tolerance, dignity, respect for others next time and leave your hate at the door before you join the Democratic party.

June 8, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  13. MJC

Obama/Clinton '08!

June 8, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  14. Henry

Makes me wonder how many more SECRET and CLANDESTINE meetings our TRUSTED elected officials are setting up and attending.
    Henry, AL

June 8, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  15. Arnie, NY

Only a total idiot would want to be President in January. Why?

Unemployment will be 10% by then

Gasoline will be $7/gal.

Foreclosures will be reaching new records

Air fare will be so high that travel and business will almost shut down

Food will be scarce and outrageously expensive

There will surely be marches and demonstrations at the White House.

Whoever is there will need extra strength Excedrin and will wish they had never run.

June 8, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  16. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

Please post:

As an concerned American voter, why do you continue talk about Hillary Clinton ? The primary season is over and CNN along with other networks like fox news want to keep the Clinton story alive. I know Wolf and others have feeling towards Clinton but she has lost. Can we move on now with some responsible journalism.

We have a president that sent 4100 troops to there death with faulty and fabricated intelligence. This should be the number one story on CNN and every other channel across America. It is sad to see that the journalism in this country has lost the meaning of responsibility to the American people. 4100 troops are dead in from the Iraq War; and know one cares mainly because the media has made it that way. Bush sent them and McCain voted to back Bush this is the real story.

June 8, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  17. Anonymous

Scare us with your "I'm not voting for Obama" threats... I'm so sick of you people! Just remember one thing..If my son dies in Iraq, It will be all your faults! You will be to blame! What selfish people you are! Also remember, Hillary needed the black vote, the educated vote and the young vote to ever win. She didn't have that vote. Call me a fool Mark. You're and even bigger one not to vote because your canidate didn't win..You sound like a winey baby...Hm just like Hillary!

June 8, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  18. RealityCheck

In Mark's opinion, Hillary is tough, battle scarred and has the thick skin to to take on the Republicans. However, Barack prevailed ....ergo..... taking on McBush and the Republicans will present less of a challenge. Not voting for Obama will be 4 or 8 years more of the same current misery.

June 8, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  19. CKR

This mess was caused by the DNC and the super delegates and they will have to answer to all the Democrats after Obama loses in November.

I did not chose Obama for many reasons. The color of his skin was not even a consideration, even though his supporters like to think it was. Just because Senator Clinton is not in the race anymore, that does not mean that I automatically will chose Obama.

If I have to pick from a ticket without Senator Clinton at the top, then I will vote for McCain. He does not stand for the Democratic Party values that I have always supported, BUT NEITHER DOES THE LEADERSHIP OF THE PARTY THIS ELECTION SEASON!

I would write in Senator Clintion but that will not effect the outcome of the race and then the unacceptable tactics used by the party leaders will prevail.

Sometimes we have to chose the lesser of two evils – supporting the Democratic Party this year is more than I can stomach.

June 8, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  20. Wise White Guy

Both Obama and Clinton supporters are going to have to realize something. There are a lot of people out here posting for one reason. They want to try to stir the pot and keep the animosity going between us. I have been an Obama supporter from the beginning and I will share my opinion with you. I think I am probably much like most others who do indeed believe in what the Democratic party stands for. I welcome Hillary to the team along with her supporters. We all believe there is something much bigger that needs to be accomplished than one candidate over another. If Hillary would have won the nomination I would still be supporting the ideals of the Democratic party. We simply cannot afford to let McBush win and all that goes along with it. He at times says things that sound good like his new stance on the environment but we know that he has had his campaign paid for by big oil and other lobbyists and pacs. He will be nothing more than a puppet to those who bought him the election when the time comes for decisions. Do not trust all of the anti Obama and inflamatory posts you see. They are 9 out of 10 posted by posing dittoheads who cannot think for themselves. Lets unite and make this country what it was when our family members died to protect it in the World Wars instead of voting for McSame who would like nothing more than to bring about WW3. Thank you for reading

June 8, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  21. rethink the hatred

Obama worshippers... next time, check your rabid hate and your vile, filthy vulgar name-calling insults at the door... then enter the democratic party.

This new party is too hateful, divisive and vulgar for me.

That is NOT change I can believe in.

Obama inspires just too much corruption, reverse-racism, disrepect and hate.

Re-think THAT message.

June 8, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  22. ral-OH

I dont understand MARK, how you could possibly have been
    for Hillary and what she has stood for, and now say you would
    not be voting it at all.

That is very sad. It is important to vote, and how you could
    consider not doing that is very, very strange. It think you are
    the fool.

June 8, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  23. Billy Sutton, Springfield, MO

I am glad Obama and Clinton had this meeting. Eventually Obama can let Hillary know what he would like her to do to help the democrats win in November. I don't believe she should be on the ticket. It would totally cry hypocrisy. He will have to choose someone outside of Washington to stick with his message of change. Hopefully a Governor or mayor of a major swing state. But it should be his decision. If anyone tries to force him or twist his arm he must be firm to resist. That will show that he can be strong.

June 8, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  24. carolflowery

Let's not forget when Michelle Obama was asked would she support Hillary Clinton if she were to be the nominee, "I would have to give that some thought"...and yet, Hillary's supporters are just all step in sync with her husband, strange to me she couldnt even say yes immediately when asked that question.
    Oh that's right, she hasnt been proud of America until her husband ran. I keep forgetting that.

June 8, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  25. Scott MacKeracher

why is it so hard for americans to decide who to vote for this time around. After all Pres Bush stole the frist election with the help of his " Daddys" friends and was able to scam a second term on the deaths of over two thousand people in New York and Washington on Sept 11/01. As a result there is now the Patroit Act, no congersional oversite or consultation and finally an unprovoked attack and subsequent occupation of Iraq. The current admistration is either incompentant or they have deliberatly deceibed the American people. Since one or ther must be true I don't understand why Pres Bush has not been impeached. But with news people like Wolf Blitzer who acts more like a game show host than a journalist and refuses to address real issues the american people will continue to distracted.

June 8, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |