June 8th, 2008

Feinstein: Obama-Clinton meeting was meant to be a secret

Sen. Dianne Feinstein hosted a private meeting for Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.

(CNN) - Sen. Dianne Feinstein on Sunday gave new details about the private meeting Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton held in her home, saying it was “meant to be a secret,” but “it didn’t quite end up like that.”

Clinton and Obama got together privately in Feinstein’s Washington home Thursday. It was their first meeting since Obama became the presumptive Democratic nominee.

Feinstein, D-California, said the session came about after she told Clinton that Obama had said he would meet with her anywhere, anytime.

Clinton told Feinstein she wanted to talk with Obama, but she expressed concern about having to make a press statement about the discussions.

Feinstein said she then offered up her house as a potential meeting place because it would be private. She said Clinton called her around 6 p.m. Thursday, and they scheduled the meeting for 8:30 p.m.

“I thought how wonderful that they had a chance just to be alone, to kind of feel each other out with respect to where they were,” she said Sunday on CNN’s “Late Edition.”

The talks began at 9 p.m. and lasted about an hour, said Feinstein. Feinstein endorsed Clinton’s presidential campaign last summer but she's now standing behind Obama.

A joint statement from the candidates said only that the candidates "had a productive discussion about the important work that needs to be done to succeed in November."

Feinstein said they did not debrief her afterward, but she said both were laughing at the end.

“I thought that was a very good sign,” she said. “And they left. That was it.”

Feinstein said she served them water and worked upstairs as the meeting took place.

1. K

Obama must EARN Hillary supporters votes. It's not her job to do it for him. Why does he get everything handed to him? Work for my vote Mr. Obama.

June 8, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  2. Obama For President!

NEW MCCAIN SLOGAN * A SETBACK FOR WOMENS RIGHTS YOU CAN BELIEVE IN! *

June 8, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  3. McBush

"I have to admit, the guy gives a good speech and he really gets the crowd into it. Then again, so did Hitler and we know how that ended. Obama is saying a lot of nothing and he is inspiring a lot of people with promises he cannot keep. It is unfortunate that so many Americans are absolutely clueless with regard to this guy and with politics in general."

Wow. Did you actually type that with a strait face? Look up the Godwin rule and then jump back into the debate when you get your bearings. Until then, please DO NOT VOTE. Seriously, the dems do not need nutjobs.

June 8, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  4. Tori, Fl

I am a Democrat. I will vote as a Democrat. Just because your candidate didn't get the nomination doesn't mean it's ok to act like a child who didn't get that toy they wanted. You all are making yourselves look like fools. GROW UP ALREADY! Those of you who are chosing not to vote or to vote for McCain, I just want to say this....Please don't complain about the gas prices, or healthcare prices, or any other thing that goes wrong and puts this country further into debt and keeps us depending on other countries. You have a chance to do what's right. You need to put on your big girl panties and your big boy boxers and suck it up.

June 8, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  5. always Hillary

Women should never kiss and make up when they are gang raped by their own UNdemocratic "family".

That would be to invite, enable and encourage more of the despicable behavior in the future. Losing an election over the methodology goes further to drive the lesson home.

It is not THAT HRC lost. It is HOW she lost that will have lasting effects on this party.

The dust is settling on the DEMS ideology and HRC will rise from the ashes of the hate that you fueled into a divisive fire.

June 8, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  6. PiedType

Kudos to Sen Feinstein for her calm, mature judgment in seeing what needed to be done. She'd make a good candidate herself.

June 8, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  7. Kenneth M.

Obama was elected not selected. In her announcment Clinton said she supports thoses who work hard and play by the rules. Well MI and FL broke the rules. Tell me Clintonites what sanction do you think they should have gotten? Then Hillie wanted the super dels to support her. Now that they did not her supporters are saying it is the popular vote that counts. Well never bring a popular vote to a delegate fight. Since 1776 it has been the delegates that count in the USA. Sure there has been sexist comments made about her. But did she ever have a state not vote for her because she is a women? Obama had to deal with PA, WV, and KY all not vote for him because he is black. There are more people who did *not* vote for him because he *is* black then who voted for him because he is black.

June 8, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  8. Mary

I was a Hillary Clinton supporter she ran a great campaign. Now I will help her to elect Obama this will show her true strength to make other people better.

Obama and Clinton working together for America!

June 8, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  9. Yobee

After viewing the comments of the great unwashed on political issues in many story threads over the past weeks, I've reached the conclusion that there should be a competence test for voting in national elections.

The churlish, childish, ugly, ignorent and inane invective spewing forth from the internet on this election convinces me the founding fathers were right to create the electoral college to keep the fate of the election of the leader of this nation out of the hands of the yokel behind the plow.

June 8, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  10. Hsu From Jail

No pardon for me...just yet. Mark my words she has something up her pants suit.

Read Dick Morris's take, he knows these sleeze bags. He was at one with them.

Spots don't change overnight.

June 8, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  11. Obama For President!

NEW MCCAIN SLOGAN * A HUNDRED YEAR WAR YOU CAN BELIEVE IN!

June 8, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  12. Shannon

I've been a Democrat for over 30 years and I'm done with the party off hate. I got an e-mail from the DNC asking me to donate, and I laughed out loud. The good old boys allowed HIllary Clinton and her supporters to be labeled racist and ignorant, and now they want us to play nice. I don't think so, women need to remember how disgracefully we were treated during this campaign by the Obama side, he has no respect for women, and I wouldn't vote for him if he was the last candidate on the earth. The press, the same people who destroyed Hillary Clinton's reputation with blatant bias, now say we will all come together , just give us time. I say, this pack of hacks has it wrong, I know many Democrats who will never vote for Obama, good luck in the fall without us!

June 8, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  13. Shane

I AM A STRONG HILLARY SUPPORTER. YES I ADMIT THAT OBAMA HAS A LOT OF WORK TO DO BUT HE IS OUR DEMOCRATIC NOMINEE. I HOPE HE PICKS HRC FOR HIS VP. WE, AS A COUNTRY, CAN NOT AFFORD 4 MORE YEARS OF REPUBLICAN. OUR DOLLAR IS SO WEAK. PEOPLE ARE BECOMING HOMELESS BECAUSE THEY ARE LOSING THEIR JOBS. I THINK HRC WON THE POPULAR VOTE BUT I CAN NOT STAY ANGRY ANOTHER LONGER. LETS ALL STAND BEHIND OBAMA AND LETS SEE IF HE CAN CHANGE OUR COUNTRY AROUND FOR THE BETTER. INTERNATIONALLY AND ON OUR SOIL.

June 8, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  14. the secret

No secret....

You guys killed the woman warrior to install your puppet nominee.

Watch us walk.

June 8, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  15. dil

I think the Golf-gate is getting out of hand here. Any sane person knows that these events are planned waaay in advance. What would it look it if he cancels a pre-planned event to listen to the speech?
    I think he did the appropriate thing by going ahead with the pre-planned game, and then listen to the speech an hour later.

As for those of you who are voting for McCain out of spite. You're voting to kill more Americans for another 4 years. You're voting against healthcare for 50 million americans. You're voting against a descent education for american children. You are not voting against Obama, but you're voting against the fundamental and core beliefs of Hillary Clinton. Don't vote out of hate, but vote out of love for all Amricans who are suffering. (Which is far far more than the last election)

As for those of you who say Obama used undesirable tactics to win. You are sadly mistaken. You want someone to blame and the obvious person to blame is the winner in this case. But he really used very little negative tactics. Hillary used far far more underhanded tactics. There were some sexism, but there were far less people who voted for Obama because he was black. If you look at the race with an open mind, you cannot conclude that Obama used negative or bad tactics to win. Atleast not as much as hillary.

For all Obama supportes.. Hillary is not the enemy. She is one of us. Stop beating up on her !

June 8, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  16. Asian4Hillary

Obama will never be President if he's the nominee after Denver convention.

PUMA MEMBER FOR HILLARY!

June 8, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  17. cynthia

I HOPE THAT HILLARY'S SUPPORTERS REALIZE THAT THIS RACE IS NOT JUST ABOUT THEM AND WHAT THEY WANT.
    MY SON IN IRAQ ON HIS 3RD TOUR IS IS PART OF WHAT THIS ELECTION IS ABOUT AND JOINING FORCES WITH MCCAIN TO KEEP THIS WAR GOING WILL BE A SLAP TO MY SON.
    IF MY SON DOES NOT MAKE IT HOME IT WILL BE BLOOD ON ALL OF YOU HATEFUL WOMEN'S HANDS.
    i WANT THE TROOPS HOME,APPARENTLY THESE WOMEN DO NOT ,AND DON'T CARE

June 8, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  18. Marlie63

I am in agreement with all who wont vote for Obama. I wont sell my soul for that idiot. HIllary is my one and ONLY choice. Sorry Hillary, but my conscience wont let me go down that road....hope he can lure someone else into his web of lies......

HILLARY 2012

June 8, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  19. Tammy/Indiana

To all Obama and Hillary supporters:

If we are all Democrats, and they have asked us to unite, then why are we not doing what they asked? A true supporter of either campaingn would unite, not fight.

June 8, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  20. bought gas lately?

That’s the way it should have been. The media feels it has a right to be in the middle of everything. That shows me right there that these are two smart people.

And to the die hard Hillary supporters, this is for the Presidency, not queen of the prom. If you are so affixed to the person, and not the issues, you’re not mature enough to be voting anyway.

June 8, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  21. Democrat Forever

These Republicans are already trying to take Hillary's supporters with their dirty tactics..pathetic. Sorry McFools..but the Democratic party is a party of progress and thinkers. Keep the old warmonger ways to yourself, why don't you all just sign up for the war you so adamantly praise??

June 8, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  22. shannonL

Tomorrow I am mailing in my voter registration changes. I'll be switching from Dem to Ind. The Dem party is a shell of its former self. It is full of a bunch of sexist race baiters....I am so sick an tired of the hate coming from Obama supporters.

Good bye.

June 8, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  23. Bill W

>It's time to bring America back, stop outsourcing jobs, be the forefront in
    >technology, the innovators that keep jobs here, not moves jobs out
    >because rich ceo's are greedy. Their wealth was built on the backs and
    >from the minds of Americans and those who came to this country for the
    >American dream.

And remember that it was HILLARY CLINTON who favored outsourcing, and who brought the #1 outsourcer of US to India into NY. Look up TATA Consulting and Hillary Clinton.

June 8, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  24. Chut Pata

Lyonn from SF June 8th, 2008 1:49 pm ET
    "It is not Obama's fault why I am not voting for him! It is simply his followers own doing that made us Clinton supporters upset! This will not heal for a very long time."

You say you are a Hillary fan but wont listen to her who says "Vote Obama". You would rather listen to those who pose as Obama fans and wont vote him even though you think it is not Obama's fault. Amazing logic!

Let me tell you something. It is for Hillary's fan like you that Obama's fan react to, and say Clinton should not be on the ticket.

Hillary is not strong like Obama and gave in to the pressure of fans like you, to stay in the lost race, get bankrupt, and damage Democratic Party. She has done so much damage that she can not undo it all.

Obama on the other hand was strong enough to not being pressurized by his fans and tell his supporters to respect Hillary. That is the difference between a populist and a leader. A populist say gave a tax break on gas and make people happy. A leader says "no, it wont work", get his supporter disappointed in the short run, but gets respect for his wisdom and trust for his honesty in the long run.

With fans like you, Hillary needs no enemies as you are blocking her way to the ticket. Cool down and Obama's fan would finally settle down and accept the idea of Hillary being VP. Obama the leader will convince them!

June 8, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  25. Connie

We have just as many REPUBLICANS. who say they will vote for Obama. Just something to think about for you CLINTON SUPPORTES who won’t support OBAMA.

It sounds like an EVEN TRADE OFF TO ME, except the cross over REPUBLICANS is getting the better part of the deal. Just my 2 cents.

You are going to look real funny with your nose cut off.

For those who will not vote at all. You still have a chance to make a difference by voting for Obama. We can not afford another 4 – 8 years of the Bush policy. If not for yourself make the chose for our children future.

Now is the time to SHANK HANDS, KISS and make up to get ahead of the game.

Obama 08!