June 9th, 2008

Blitzer: Many of Clinton's supporters are still angry

Will angry Clinton supporters come around by fall?
Will angry Clinton supporters come around by fall?

WASHINGTON (CNN) – There is no doubt that many of Hillary Clinton’s most passionate supporters remain very angry right now. They are especially angry over the way they believe their candidate was treated by some of Barack Obama’s supporters and the news media.

I have received numerous e-mails suggesting that Clinton was the victim of a mean-spirited sexism that elements of the news media spread around, and that the Obama campaign never did enough to dispel - even though Senator Obama now goes out of his way to effusively praise her.

“I’m a better candidate because of the work she did and she deserves our honor and our respect and our gratitude,” he said the other day. “And my two daughters see themselves differently because she ran for President of the United States of America.”

Senator Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California, was a strong Clinton supporter. “I think if you look at the pundits, if you read the columns and go back and read them, some of them were really in my view malicious, very personal and venal sometimes,” she told me. “And I have a hard time understanding why that was necessary.”

Feinstein, like so many other Clinton supporters, is now totally on board the Obama bandwagon. Still, there are very hard feelings. Obama will need many of those ardent Clinton supporters if he hopes to win the presidency against John McCain. His campaign knows that.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Kathy Stinnette

As far as I can see I will not vote for BHO. I think Senator Clinton was done a dirty job not only by Him but the entire Democratic party. They knew right from the Iowas caucus that Obama was who they wanted and the left wing of the Democratic Party did everything they could to bring Clinton down. I hope they are pleased because they may get what they wish and hope for and then all hell will break loose.

June 9, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  2. vote for mccain

It's crystal clear to me now why republicans are so much better suited to winning national elections. They are idea driven rather than person driven, They are disciplined. They believe no matter who their guy was in the primary, the REPUBLICAN is now their guy even if they hated him 14 minutes ago. They now LOVE their guy for a simple reason: THEY HATE OUR GUY. ( colloquial; not intended to be gender dismissive) They will work like dogs even though their worst guy is better than our best guy

We can exchange slights and hurt feelings if you want. I'd rather beat the republicans ... but then some believe this is about revenge

June 9, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  3. moeen

Whats missing is GRACE.

One of the easiet way we can turn this country into a THIR-WORLD one is by eroding whatever amount of GRACE left.....where political leaders/supporters never ever takes a loss gracefully.

June 9, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  4. Andrea, Pensacola FL

McCain is pro-War. McCain is Pro-Nafta. McCain is Pro-Bush failed ecomonic policies. McCain is against the women's right to choose.

McCain will only continue the failed GW Bush policies. McCain will be a disaster for America.

John McCain said he disagrees with what Americans want. And John McCain said that yes, he says things for his own ambitions, even if he knows what he said is not true!

June 9, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  5. George, Los Angeles

McCain in November! Another 4 years of Republican rule. And then Hillary Clinton in 2012. When will the Democratic Party learn?

Don't they know that only the Clintons can beat the Republians in modern day politics? The Republicans know it . . .

June 9, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  6. Free Iraq Flights!

I love McCain because he said he would give me and two of my best friends free airfare to see Europe. I'm typing with one hand and packing with the other! Go McBush! Boo Obama!

June 9, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  7. Urban Stump

If you guys want to vote against your interest, be my guess. It still won't put Hillary in the white house!

Hillary and Bill made $109 mill in one year...more than most of her supporters will make in two/three lifetimes!

Hillary will go on with her life/career and we'll be stuck with McCain!

I said the same thing about all those who reelected Bush for a 2nd term...I don't feel sorry for any of you! And I won't feel sorry for the Hillary supporters if they vote for McCain and he wins.....

I have God on my side "I'm going to be alright"

Think About It!

June 9, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  8. judy

Wolf, it is only June and the election in November 5 months away.
    Do you really think all these huffing and puffing Clinton supporters will truly vote for McCain, if they do it will be four more years of what the US is experiencing now.. high prices, no health care for the poor, etc.
    I cannot understand why you still have these Clinton topics. It is Obama and McCain who are running for president and that is what you should be focussing on. Issues to make sure the general public are aware of the differences so they can a sane choice for change!

June 9, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  9. sherrie50

I followed the election daily, and it was the most biased election toward HC that I had ever witnessed. That is not the role of the media as they should show fairness and unbiased presentation of the candidates. If it was a fair election between OB and HC , then no would be angry.

June 9, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  10. Kevin

I have been watching coverage for over a year and have never seen a pundit say a sexist thing at all. Is this an urban myth are something? I think most Hillary supporters do not really know what is going on and do not seek facts.

June 9, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  11. jason

well, she ran a negative campaign, so what do you expect? she attracted those who thrive on negativity, and that's what she has. She will not be able to turn them into Obama supporters be being positive about Obama. Her only hope is to turn them against McCain, by being negative towards him.

also, angry and bitter are sort of synonyms. I thought it was elitist to call people angry or bitter (sad that speaking the truth is considered elitism among hillary supporters).

No, i think they are a lost cause. We can only hope that there are less of the rabid hillary supporters than the media lets on.

June 9, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  12. Jaci

For all those Women who are Hillary supports who will now support McCain, please read the article "The Woman McCain Left Behind".
    How could you vote for such a creep!

June 9, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  13. BVS Maine

I say get over it, move on. Clinton and Obama are just about equal when it comes to the issues, and hopefully the voters will vote on the issues and not some demented sense of revenge that has been created because HRC is not the nominee. A vote for McCain is a vote for more Bush, more BS, more war, more innocent lives lost more destruction to the environment and perpetual lack of real progress. If Clinton supporters really vote for McCain, then it shows just how uneducated they are.

June 9, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  14. peter

Go Wolf

June 9, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  15. Elaine

Thanks alot Wolfe. You got them going again.

Stop the insanity.

Obama 08

June 9, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  16. Gary, Los Angeles

All I know is this . . . the Clintons did not deserve what the Democratic Party did to them. They should leave that party. They're a political force on their own. McCain in November now.

I could see the Republicans laughing their way into the White House again come November. Serves the Demoratic Party right! Wait another four years you fools!

June 9, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  17. TV

I love you Hillary and Thank YOU!

Obama Supporter

June 9, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  18. Patty

I'm voting for John McCain, not because Obama apparently won the Democratic nomination, but because John McCain is a stronger candidate than Obama.

We currently have an arrogant novice in the White House. We don't need another one sitting there, smirking emptily.

June 9, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  19. Mike in IL

Everyone should be upset... not just at the primary results... the fact that our country is willing to nominate someone that has little or no experience just because he is a man... it is very sad that woman can not get a fair shake when it comes to executive positions...

I can not believe that the democrats are going to send someone that is going to lose... the last few months he limped to the finish line because he could not get the support of the base of his party...

All of this is at a time when our country needs a strong experienced leader that can get this country on the right track!!!

June 9, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  20. Zachra

Could the harsh treatment of Hillary maybe be attributed to the way her campaign behaved after they started losing the race in Iowa? It wasn't the most wholesome of campaigns, folks.

And I still cannot believe there are people that don't understand why Florida and Michigan were split up how they were.

June 9, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  21. M.K. Ozman

Why is it that African Americans are racist when they voted 90% for Barack Obama and they are not racist when they voted 85% to elect President Bill Clinton in 1996? And why are Hillary supporters not fuming about the sexist majority of women voting for her? Or are those angry will-vote-McCain posts really not Hillary supporters but just clandestine Republicans egging and exploiting division among the Democrats? The fact of the matter is that true Democrats will not vote because it is Hillary, Obama, or McCain for that matter, they will vote on the basis of the stand of the candidate on issues that impact their life and conscience. I am independent and I am voting for Obama not because I am obsessed with the man, whom I only recently began to accept, but because he stands closer to where I stand on the issues. That’s what matters here.

June 9, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  22. jason

i've yet to see a single hillary supporter claim that they disagree with his policies – let alone why.

June 9, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  23. Donna in ID

If she would have lost to some one I felt I could trust then that would be the way things go. But then Hillary wasn't only fighting against Obama she had to fight the Media that nit picked everything she said. I could make a list of things that the media let slide from his mouth and then the behind the scenes of Obama people and the bad mouthing from them. They should all have been fired if he was running the "clean non biased campagne" he claimed . But their bad mouths got their job done. SOOOOOO many people brainwashed.
    SOOOOO SAD

June 9, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  24. Lynn

Oh my. I just heard the Vice-President team is getting advice from people like Pelosi on Capitol Hill. Stupid -- Its simple she got 18 million votes. His aggrogance just keeps on going. Example playing golf while she was giving a speech for our vote to go to him. 18 million voters he does not want our vote and he thinks he does not need it.

June 9, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  25. FAKE HILLARY SUPPORTERS

ALERT FAKE HILLARY SUPPORTERS ... you say you support Senator Clinton, do you understand where she stands on the issues, she is the complete opposite of Senator McCain on the issues? How can you vote for McCain who laughed when Senator Clinton was called a female dog (I have the link but cnn won't post my comment if I include the link), or when he made a really bad joke about Chelsea Clinton who was only 18 at the time (I have the link but cnn won't post my comment if I include the link)

June 9, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |