June 9th, 2008

Blitzer: Many of Clinton's supporters are still angry

Will angry Clinton supporters come around by fall?
Will angry Clinton supporters come around by fall?

WASHINGTON (CNN) – There is no doubt that many of Hillary Clinton’s most passionate supporters remain very angry right now. They are especially angry over the way they believe their candidate was treated by some of Barack Obama’s supporters and the news media.

I have received numerous e-mails suggesting that Clinton was the victim of a mean-spirited sexism that elements of the news media spread around, and that the Obama campaign never did enough to dispel - even though Senator Obama now goes out of his way to effusively praise her.

“I’m a better candidate because of the work she did and she deserves our honor and our respect and our gratitude,” he said the other day. “And my two daughters see themselves differently because she ran for President of the United States of America.”

Senator Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California, was a strong Clinton supporter. “I think if you look at the pundits, if you read the columns and go back and read them, some of them were really in my view malicious, very personal and venal sometimes,” she told me. “And I have a hard time understanding why that was necessary.”

Feinstein, like so many other Clinton supporters, is now totally on board the Obama bandwagon. Still, there are very hard feelings. Obama will need many of those ardent Clinton supporters if he hopes to win the presidency against John McCain. His campaign knows that.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Honestlady

How has Obama been negative and divisive? Please list some examples. I continue to hear Hillary supporters say this but i can't think of one instance of this being true. They must be getting Obamam mixed up with Hillary.

Obama has run the most positive and non-divisive campaign that i have ever seen!!

June 9, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  2. SDunn

Ok, what does bias media have anything to do with people researching their own facts and voting for who they desire? When the media was spewing negativity about Obama I did my own research and found that a lot of it were lies and exaggerations. I did the same thing with Hillary. Hillary won votes and so did Obama. People voted for their candidates and Hillary lost fairly. Hillary attacked Obama's integrity, but Obama never attacked Hillary in that manner. The media would follow and report every story that she used to attack obama with, but none of her scandals were ever reported on during this primary. Why is that? Because Obama never brought them up to rub in her face. That's the difference.

June 9, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  3. Joe Six

Where will Obama be if all Americans thought like Cherry Strawberry?

June 9, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  4. frank

The argument is really rather elementary. ARE YOU BETTER OFF THE 4 OR 8 YEARS AGO. Now here is the logic. If the answer is yes then vote for McCain.

If the answer is an emphatic no as in my case, then why do we listen to the same pundits that are asking you to vote for McCain that told you to vote for George Bush. If our financial advisor told us to invest in stuff that constantly leads us to losing money, then why would we continue to listen to them. And isnt this more important than our money? So why listen to Billo, Hannity, Laura Ingram, Bill Kristol, Limbaugh, Fox etc etc and lead us astray. Arent we supposed to learn from our mistake and understand bad advise when we see it or at least bad advisors?

GEORGE BUSH THE WORST PRESIDENT EVERRRR!!!!!

June 9, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  5. Michael

You bet myself and many other Clinton supporters are angry and will do whatever it takes to make John McCain the next president of the United States.

June 9, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  6. Bertha from New York State

Count me as one of the disappointed Clinton supporters. I no longer listen to Jack Cafferty with his blatent mean remarks about Hillary Clinton. I may have to find a new TV channel to watch, because CNN has been a big disappointment to me during this long campaign.

June 9, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  7. Less, Austin Tx

All of Hillary supporters are not angry.

There are a lot of people who wake-up angry and go to bed angry 24/7. That's just the way they are.

They can have everything and still be mad. And if things don't go their way, they retaliate by going to the other side. Just as long as they are not on the side they lost from. Forget the issues.

I have friends that supported Hillary and they are not angry or bitter.

Obama '08

Obama '08

June 9, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  8. charles

wolf its you who is angry. wat exactly do you want. you have done enough damage as we speak. liv to rest wolf. pliz just liv it. who needs reminding that they are angry. l think you are angrier than them to be honest.

June 9, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  9. yeelee

Hillary INDEPENDENT 2008

June 9, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  10. JVD

WARNING!!!

IF OBAMA IS NOT ELECTED IN NOV, THERE WILL NEVER BE A DEM IN THE WHITE HOUSE.

BELIEVE IT OR NOT.

June 9, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  11. sharon

There are many reasons Obama will not get my vote. Any President is obliged to surround himself with smart advisors who love our country and who will give considered counsel to the leader of the most powerful nation in the world. So far, Senator Obama has surrounded himself with people like Rev. Wright, Will Ayers, Bernadine Dohrn, Tony Rezko (who was convicted last week on 16 corruption charges), that insulting and despicable priest, and a congregation which shouts amen in response to hate speech and misogyny. I will never vote for him, even with Hillary on the ticket as his Vice President.

Senator Obama is a slick and eloquent newcomer who ran for President because he was a frustrated and bored junior senator who didn't want to work his way up through the ranks. He has ignored his Senate responsibilities while on the campaign trail, whereas both Senators Clinton and McCain have maintained a schedule in Washington, showing up for votes and committee meetings.

McCain is a patriot who has honorably served his country all of his adult life. I don't always agree with him, but he, at least, has my respect. He may get my vote. Obama definitely won't.

June 9, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  12. Debby

Wolf, I don't think alot of Clintons supporters will vote for Obama in the end even if she was VP. I blame the DNC and 2nd the media coverage for this horrendous Dem. campaign. Its still going on now as this topic of Clinton supporters being angry is on every political blog.

CNN is part of that horrible coverage with the worse political hacks I have ever seen against Clinton. CNN was never like this in the past 2 elections. You didn't have Borger, Toobin, Cafferty, Martin, and Brown then either. They have trashed Clinton every single day, it was really pathetic to watch after awhile and it made them look stupid instead of intellectual.

June 9, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  13. Timber

You have no idea!! Why would Clinton supporters not be angry? Look at the way she was treated, you cannot say a man would be treated the same way. You all were trying to push her out since Iowa!! Is this a democracy or what? The media, including CNN, were Obama's personal PR machine. He need not have spent a nickle on ads if he did not want to, he had it for free. Even with all the media, Dean, Pelosi, and the DNC behind him, he still only "won" by the skin of his teeth. She won the popular vote. That just goes to show that he is a weak nominee., but then the DNC are very good at picking losers. Their record says it all. This is exactly why we cannot take the Whitehouse, the DNC is totally out of touch with America. Clinton was a strong, gritty, and experienced candidate. Are we trying to win the presidency or lose? I forget sometimes. I am voting for McCain as much as it pains me. I cannot in good conscience belong to the democratic party any longer.

June 9, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  14. FB

I would be angry if people decided to vote for McCain just because there egos are bruised and I was forced to suffer under this same government for yet another 4 or 8 years.

Hillary and Obama have almost the same exact views on everything...Why do a 180 and vote McCain?

Bunch of selfish people out there.

June 9, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  15. LS

Hillary supporters: GET.OVER.IT.

June 9, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  16. gary

CANT BLAME THEM. THE RACE WAS HANDED OVER TO O.B. FROM DNC,SUPER DELIGATES, MEDIA, ETC.OBAMA STOLE SLOGANS, IDEALS FROM HRC, ISSUES, AND THE RACE FROM HRC. THE DNC ,MEDIA, SUPER DELIGATES HANDED THE NOMINEE TO O.B. THEY WERE BIAS AGAINST A WOMAN PRESIDENT, BESIDES THEY ARE A AFRAID OF RACIAL TENSIONS. THAT HAD BEEN STARTED FORM THE BEGINING OF THIS RACE. O.B. HAS TOOKEN US BACK A 100YRS. OR MORE WITH HATE,RACIST, AND DIVISION. THATS THE ONLY CHANGES I SEE IN OUR FUTURE. THE REAL CHANGES WERE KICK A SIDE WITH HRC.

CONCERNED VIET NAM VETRESS ETC.

June 9, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  17. H Martin

You are all crazy. Hillary was a good candidate, however; she did not win the election. Sorry that being said, this woman just switched from Republican to Independent so I can vote for the person who will best help the situation. I am speaking from a woman's point of view, a mothers point of view, and a white hard working woman who believes that the country is in danger. Put aside all the hatred. Gather around the person who you best believe in your heart will be the best for this wonderful country that we are given the privelige of living in due to the soldiers who fight for that right. We want them home safely, we don't want to send our 18 year olds to fight in a war that is senseless. To those of you who have faught for this country and served well thank you and I will do my part to vote for Obama to give you the thanks that you so deserve!!

June 9, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  18. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

If all the disappointed Clintonians wrote in "Ron Paul," they'd (a) get the country out of Iraq and (b) avoid voting for Obama.

June 9, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  19. andy

Most "Hillary Supporters for McCain" are paid John McCain interns trying to generate divisions within the democratic party. Just a few pimpled boys pretending to be middle aged women, posting the same silly talking points in comment sections all over the internet.

Stop falling for it.

June 9, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  20. Harin

Unfortunate if you ask me. I honestly don't think any amount of campaigning by Clinton on Obama's behalf will convince these angry, older white women. These hardcore fans disregard the issues and rules, blame everyone else (media circuits, DNC, Obama campaign) and obviously want to stick it to Obama and the DNC by voting for McCain in November.

I don't buy the experience argument against McCain from a hardcore Hillary fan. If you want experience, had Clinton won the nomination, you'd vote for epitome of experience in John McCain if you were serious about experience. It's only a big issue now amongst the hardcore fans because Obama won the nomination.

Clearly, gender and race continue to draw sharp divides amongst Democrats. Unfortunate.

June 9, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  21. Peggy - Tx

I care about advancing women in the workplace, politics and in their home. Hillary’s strong candidacy advanced the cause of women in America by showing that a women could indeed win the presidency, but I do not find a good role model in Hillary. She subjugated her career for her husbands, then she rode his coat tails to get as far as she did, and when things got tough she whined and played the victim. Obama offers an agenda, which I believe best advances woman by leveling the playing field when it comes to accessibility to education and health care.

June 9, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  22. Jim in GA

Thats right we are still angry. Angry at the media for being so in the bag for Obama – in fact is was his number one weapon against Hillary. CNN analyst Jeffry Toobin called the Clintons "deranged narcisists" on the final primary night in reference to her refusal to concede that night. Is this the idea of fair and objective reporting?

The rude comments and insults emanating from Obama's supporters make me realize that he brings out the worst in people. He feeds of their anger – not hope. Even now that the primary is over the Obama supporters continue to beat up on Hillary. I'm glad for her sake that it's finally over. The media will have to find a new punching bag.

June 9, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  23. gary

CONCERNED VIET NAM VET

June 9, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  24. Michael in Glendale Arizona

To Ray in MN (11th from the beginning),

I heard that he went golfing too. I also read another report that he watched it 'live'.

Remember, the press isn't always accurate. So why do you chose to believe the negative stuff.

ANY voter who switches to McCain chooses to go against EVERYTHING that Hillary stood for, and I would question your claim to be a democrat in the first place.

It's a known fact that she and Obama agree on 90% of their issues.

To vote against your own interests, the interests of the people, and against everything Hillary stood for is selfish, spiteful, petty, and childish.

June 9, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  25. peter

Jaci, what do you know about Obama.

June 9, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |