June 9th, 2008

Blitzer: Many of Clinton's supporters are still angry

Will angry Clinton supporters come around by fall?
Will angry Clinton supporters come around by fall?

WASHINGTON (CNN) – There is no doubt that many of Hillary Clinton’s most passionate supporters remain very angry right now. They are especially angry over the way they believe their candidate was treated by some of Barack Obama’s supporters and the news media.

I have received numerous e-mails suggesting that Clinton was the victim of a mean-spirited sexism that elements of the news media spread around, and that the Obama campaign never did enough to dispel - even though Senator Obama now goes out of his way to effusively praise her.

“I’m a better candidate because of the work she did and she deserves our honor and our respect and our gratitude,” he said the other day. “And my two daughters see themselves differently because she ran for President of the United States of America.”

Senator Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California, was a strong Clinton supporter. “I think if you look at the pundits, if you read the columns and go back and read them, some of them were really in my view malicious, very personal and venal sometimes,” she told me. “And I have a hard time understanding why that was necessary.”

Feinstein, like so many other Clinton supporters, is now totally on board the Obama bandwagon. Still, there are very hard feelings. Obama will need many of those ardent Clinton supporters if he hopes to win the presidency against John McCain. His campaign knows that.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. crat3

Sen. Clinton's campaign was sabotaged from beginning to end by the pro-Obama biased media, Obama himself, the Obama campaign, Obama surrogates, and the DNC.

The DNC disenfranchised FL and MI voters and then rigged the nomination for Obama via de facto Obama surrogate House Speaker Pelosi.

The corrupt, rigged Democratic Party will see a crushing defeat in November. i will volunteer and vote for McCain in a swing state. The Obama cultists will just have to grin and bear four years of McBush.

June 9, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  2. Sue

"First, how do you feel like the election was "stolen" for Obama? The nominee was intended to be decided based on delegates, not popular vote, so even if Clinton did win the popular vote (a dubious claim since it would involve not counting the caucus states and not giving Obama any votes from Michigan)"

...first of all, Obamas' name was not even ON the Michigan ballot. But the almighty DNC, in all their elitist combined wisdom, chose to give Sen. Obama votes and delegates anyway...and in the process...take away 4 delegates that Sen. Clinton earned. The DNC and the overtly biased media have been the problem since day 1. Is it reason enough to be angry? ...absolutely. Is it reason enough to throw a Democratic WH in the toilet? ...absolutely NOT.

Hillary supporter who will vote Obama in Nov.

June 9, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  3. TV

Grow Up! Once again if you are satisfied with the way this country is being run now vote McCain.McCain may have broke from his party on a few occasions, but truth is he will not do it enough to have lasting useful impact for the American people. If the Bush tax cuts were so helpful why are so many people having problems.

Weak Economy and War McCain 08

June 9, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  4. Andy Looks at the facts

THERE IS NO SUCH EXPERIENCE TO BE PRESIDENT
    IT IS AN ON THE JOB LEARNING PROCESS
    OBVIOUSLY NONE OF THE CANIDATES HAVE NEVER HAD THE EXPERIENCE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR BECAUSE NONE OF THEM HAVE EVER BEEN ELECTED TO THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES
    SMART POLICIES AND THE INSIGHT TO KNOW WHAT THE COUNTRY NEEDS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE ONE HAD IN VIETNAM, FOLLOWING HER HUSBAND AROUND, OR ANY OF THAT- THEY ARE ALL FAMILIAR TO THE NATIONAL TIER OF GOVERNMENT, AND THAT AS FAR AS ANY OF THEM HAVE BEEN AND WILL GET UNLESS THEY ARE ELECTED PRESIDENT ...THE EXPERIENCE CARD IS GETTING OLD

June 9, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  5. Timber

Bravo Sharon!!

June 9, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  6. Jan, Willow Grove, PA

One wonders what those "now I vote McCain" shouters are basing their vote on.

It apparently isn't the war in Iraq, because on that Clinton and Obama have almost identical positions, while McCain promises nothing but to continue GWB's course of action. It isn't the economy either, neither is it health care, environmental issues or any of the so many "policy points".

So what is it? Experience? Oh boy ... experience isn't something that can be measured out of context. While Clinton and Obama promise to put their experience and hard work in for the people, McCain has his entire campaign run by Lobbyists and will put all of his political experience to work for the same people that benefit today under Bush. Is that the experience you all want in the White House? Then go ahead, let McCain finish off what even the worst President in the history of the United States wasn't able to accomplish in 8 years.

June 9, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  7. A Campaign Strategist for 115th St & Amsterdam Ave

Wolf .... this is like the Belmont Stakes with a horse that has broken down on the track

Put the crop away ... stop trying to keep Hillary's name on the radar screen.

Much appreciated.

Also, be aware that a Gallup Poll shows Obama winning 62 percent of Latino voters nationwide, compared with 29 percent for McCain. The pro-Democratic group Democracy Corps compiled surveys from March through May that showed Obama with a 19-point lead among Latinos. And a Los Angeles Times poll last month showed Obama leading McCain by 14 points among Latinos in California.

June 9, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  8. Wallace Young, Atlanta Georgia

As a life long Democrat, I was very upset how CNN and MSNBC covered the primary. It seemed as if the networks decided Senator Obama would win the nomination. I am very hurt and disappointed. I realize that Clinton has many faults. In fact, she has done somethings that are downright wrong, however on Saturday she left the presidential race with grace, dignity and her head held high. Senator Clinton went out with her dignity entact, which is more than I can say for MSNBC and CNN. Furthermore, now that Senator Clinton is out of the race ratings from all cable networks will go down. So to the victor goes the spoils.

Wallace

June 9, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  9. NO HUSSEIN!

I'LL NEVER EVER WILL VOTE FOR HUSSEIN OBAMA!
    It is a crime to vote for him...

June 9, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  10. Mariela

HELLO,

I am strongly support for Hillary but now that she is not our nomenee. I changed my registration from Democrat to Republican. I am voting this time for Mccain 2008 . There is no way I am voting for Husein Obama his radical views and friend that he has; his inexperience,. I cannot believe that the superdelagates did not have the time to look at Hillary argument that she could be the best to defeat Mccain. The democrat party will regret what they did to Hillary. I am so sad waht happen to Hillary.

Hillary 2012 Mccain all the way to win the White House you have all my support.

June 9, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  11. Steve From Dallas

Marie in California June 9th, 2008 4:43 pm ET

You're right that many of Clinton's supporters are still angry, and have every right to be. The best candidate in the Democratic race got thrown under the bus by the DNC and supers as they pushed, shoved and dragged Obama across the finish line to GIVE him the nomination. He was selected…..not elected. Puh…..leeeeze!

THATS RIGHT....

June 9, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  12. NEVEROBAMA

I doubt this party will ever be united. There is too much anger. I was willing to give Obama a chance after Hillary's speech on Saturday but when I heard CNN state that Obama might not of heard the speech because he was golfing pissed me off. He really is sure of himself he will win the oval office. NOT WITHOUT HILLARY SUPPORTERS YOU WONT!

Obamamanicas I can't wait until November, us Clinton supporters will get the last laugh!

ALWAYS HILLARY NEVER, EVER OBAMA!

June 9, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  13. danny butler

i will vote for mccain if clinton not vp and i an long time dem

June 9, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  14. Franky

Roses are red, violets are blue
    If you don't vote for McCain, I will cry wolf.

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Hillary is the one for me, and I don't care if it's the truth...

LOL!!!!!!!

June 9, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  15. Lynn

You hit it on the nail Sharon

June 9, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  16. Mary Ann, San Francisco, CA

Hillary in 2012!

Patience is the name of the game now. Just 4 more years until things are made right.

I will not vote for "Sweetie" . The only way he would get my vote is if Hillary is on the ticket.

He has no experience. He is condesending. He just a good line of gab. No thanks. I'll wait another 4 years for Hillary!

June 9, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  17. NORA, FLORIDA

Hmmm Two Words............. OHHHH WELLL

June 9, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  18. Democrat always

I plead to my fellow Hillary supporters to vote Democrat this November because I can not take another year of this type of administration. I plead to the Obama supporters to stop being jerks about those of us that need some time to heal. You would feel wounded as well if your candidate had not been chosen. I will never vote Republican but I find that I will be voting for Obama begrudgingly if the arrogance of Obama supporters does not stop.

June 9, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  19. Democrat against Obama

I am angry as hell and never voting for Obama.

I have already given money to mccains campaign and will be writing in Hillarys name in November.

I have said this since January...I am NOT going to change my mind.

Obama can kiss my aspirations.

June 9, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  20. Sarah

How can anyone be angry when the voters are the ones who decided the nomination via "pledged delegates" which is the rule in the Democratic Party? I cannot understand why ANY Democrat would decide to vote Republican in November UNLESS it's because of race. Barack Obama is both black and white so which side would people be against? Voters being angry, as Wolf puts it, because he did nothing to limit sexism are ridiculous. Did Hillary Clinton do anything to limit racism? Did Bill Clinton do anything to limit racism? No, I don't think so. Did they do anything to squash his being a Muslim? No, it was just commented "as far as I know" that he's not. And, Wolf, it seems to me that it is going to be your goal to make sure Clinton voters stay angry so they do go vote for McCain. I think it's time you began reporting in a responsible manner.

June 9, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  21. Nita

Can't we all just get along??!!!

June 9, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  22. Veteran For Obama

STOP BEGGING THE IDIOTS, VOTE FOR WHO YOU WANT!!!!

June 9, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  23. Mikey The Real American

Barry has great wisdom. If Obama loses because of perceived lack of support from HRC. She will be blackballed and never be able to run again.

But you know what...that is fine with me!!! I can't stand Obama or Clinton. Obama and Clinton are basically the same person. I am just glad that the most of the Hillary supprters are too angry or too stupid to realize it.

Mccain '08!!!!!! (even though Romney would have been a better choice)

June 9, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  24. So you want to vote for McCain?

Candice June 9th, 2008 4:45 pm ET

…Also you are insane to think that the media was not bias in this campaign..Hillary 2012.
    _____________________________________________________

Reality check, Candy – . The Dems should have a free ride to the WH. McCain is so not qualified it's not funny. If Obama loses because crazy, hormonal women and racists sabotage his run – HRC will take the blame and she will be a political pariah. There will be no 2012 run for her. She will be done. Live with that...

June 9, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  25. LA2NC

Sonia4 Hillary, you're right it is your vote. Please go RIGHT NOW and change your registration to Republican. TRUST ME, THEY NEED YOU!

As Nike says, JUST DO IT !!!! When you do, please be prepared for business as usual. Please know that once you do and things go from bad to worse....YOU CAN'T THEN COMPLAIN, YOU MADE IT HAPPEN.

Like you, I'm a female. Unlike you, I don't want to have to see what will happen to a woman who is forced to deal with the consequences of Mccain as president, when Roe V Wade is reversed. Again, please be prepared to accept resibility for your actions......... wait, you won't do that, that's not what whinners do........ You have a good one....... :-)

June 9, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |