June 9th, 2008

Blitzer: Many of Clinton's supporters are still angry

Will angry Clinton supporters come around by fall?
Will angry Clinton supporters come around by fall?

WASHINGTON (CNN) – There is no doubt that many of Hillary Clinton’s most passionate supporters remain very angry right now. They are especially angry over the way they believe their candidate was treated by some of Barack Obama’s supporters and the news media.

I have received numerous e-mails suggesting that Clinton was the victim of a mean-spirited sexism that elements of the news media spread around, and that the Obama campaign never did enough to dispel - even though Senator Obama now goes out of his way to effusively praise her.

“I’m a better candidate because of the work she did and she deserves our honor and our respect and our gratitude,” he said the other day. “And my two daughters see themselves differently because she ran for President of the United States of America.”

Senator Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California, was a strong Clinton supporter. “I think if you look at the pundits, if you read the columns and go back and read them, some of them were really in my view malicious, very personal and venal sometimes,” she told me. “And I have a hard time understanding why that was necessary.”

Feinstein, like so many other Clinton supporters, is now totally on board the Obama bandwagon. Still, there are very hard feelings. Obama will need many of those ardent Clinton supporters if he hopes to win the presidency against John McCain. His campaign knows that.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. 58 old white ladies for OBAMA

HILLARY MADE A MISTAKE WITH THE WAR AND

HOW SHE & BILL CONDUCTED THEIR CAMPAIGN.

HAVING SAID THAT WE NEED TO GET RID OF

THE SCOURGE THAT BUSH & MCBUSH HAVE

UNLEASHED ON THE WORLD & OUR ECONOMY.

June 9, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  2. Jessica, MI

Yeah great idea, let's vote McCain and cut off our noses to spite our faces!

That'll be a great way for us women to show how intelligent we are and how far we've come...by being petty and ridiculous!

June 9, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  3. Iowa Democrat

Wolf,

The conspiracy that I see going on here is CNN trying to keep things heated up so that there is still a good inner-party fight to manufacture news over. The news media thrives on controversy. TIme and again, I see you your network (and Fox and MSNBC) bending over backwards to try to keep controversy stirred up rather than merely reporting it. You're all "Wagging the Dog" a bit in my opinion, and I don't think it's responsible journalism.

June 9, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  4. thumper

I too believe the media did in Clinton. They were relentless in their biased pursuit of Clinton. The media in my opinion the was sole reason for clinton's defeat. They have houned the Clintons for many years. If only the had such ferver to have questioned and written about our current pres. and vice pres, maybe that illegal war never would have happened. But the media coward in their little holes and became a joke in the minds of the public. But i guess it's easier to beat up on a woman then to take on a war criminal. Obama Hussain will lose the presidency because of the media, and not because of CLinton, as many media people want you to believe. You media folks make me sick.

June 9, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  5. SONIA4HILLARY

HILLARY IS THE ONLY TRUE WINNER —

OBAMA IS A SELECTED CANDIDATE –SELECTED BY MEDIA/ MEN /DNC/

June 9, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  6. SONIA4HILLARY

Voters have little doubt as to who is benefitting from the media coverage this year—Barack Obama.

Fifty-four percent (54%) say Obama has gotten the best coverage so far.

Twenty-two percent (22%) say McCain has received the most favorable coverage while 14% say that Hillary got the best treatment…

Among unaffiliated voters, 44% believe reporters will try to help Obama and 14% believe they will try to help McCain.

June 9, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  7. peter

I will vote for Mr. Mccain

June 9, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  8. Jeff

It's all the media's fault that Hillary made up a tall sniper fire tale and then lied about it. And then lied about lying about it.

Right.

If you're voting for McCain over Obama because of Hillary, you are basically an ignorant racist. Period.

June 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  9. Ray, he watched her concession speech

On a laptop – why do you have a problem with that? Why would it be so much more acceptable for him to watch her speech from a TV in an office instead of on a laptop in a golf clubhouse?

He worked his butt off for 16 months to win a nomination, why not let him watch her concession speech in the clubhouse and then get a few holes in?

June 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  10. Mike

It is not anger that is the problem. You see I know people lost in the 9/11 attacks and family influenced in the loss of the Oklahoma City bombing.

How can I vote for Obama whose good friend is Bill Ayers a Timothy McVeigh person that said he should have bombed more federal buildings right after 9/11 happened. Obama co-chaired a political committee with him when he made those statements. Ayers even held a send off party for Obama in his presidential bid.

I would be simply betraying all the victims of 9/11 and Oklahoma City by voting for Obama.

I would be honoring their memory by voting for Hillary who represented New York during 9/11 and her husband who represented America in Oklahoma City.

So it is not a matter of anger for me just doing what is right for those that lost their lives not long ago.

McCain 08 or Hillary 012

June 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  11. Bill Jay

I'm a democrat and I'm voting for Mr. McCain.........

June 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  12. seriously... none of you get it

The day of the two party system is over... Obama needs to start his socialist party, Clinton should have run with the democrats, McCain can start the neocon party, and Ron Paul should have been the Republican Candidate...

it would simply things greatly and force our government to actually work for the people for once...

June 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  13. Luis

Ya Think?

Billary was crucified, sacrificed in favor of the false prohet and messiah. The misogyny and favoritism shown to Obama was blantant. I noticed it and I can't stand either one of them. This bias will evantually backfire as more of the messiah's failings come to light. The Liberal media has chosen someone with less experience than GW. Brilliant. Party elders and speciali interests would have a field day and the tryants of the world would salivate at the chance to engage him in any negotiations.

The American people are not as stupid as the media thinks....well, except the Left Wing Liberals. Obama and his racist wife will be beat. Handily..............

June 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  14. peter

OBAMa Lies Too.

June 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  15. 4HILLARY

Remember in November

Remember in November

Remember in November

June 9, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  16. Mark VA

There was a reason why I strongly supported Clinton. I believe that experience counts a great deal. I also do not believe we know enough about Obama, even after this long primary season. It takes years of action to gain trust. When I say years of action I mean in governing or on a federal level. The fact is that at least 30% of Clinton supporter will not vote for Obama. They will either vote for McCain or not vote at all. I will vote for McCain. Being that McCain is not too far from center he is a good alternative. Especially since Obama is more left than Clinton.

June 9, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  17. Nana5

Yes, Wolf Blitzer WE ARE VERY ANGRY and you are a BIG, no HUGE PART OF THE PROBLEM. Your outright support of Barrack Hussein Obama and effortless try to PUSH him over on us WILL NOT WORK. WE DO NOT LIKE HIM TODAY, WE WILL NOT LIKE HIM TOMORROW, WE WILL NOT LIKE HIM WITH GREEN EGGS AND HAM!!!!!!!!!!!
    CNN Has done nothing but push him and succeeded in taking this from Hillary. She was forced to do what she did and we know it – we are not ignorant, un-educated folk as most Barrack Hussein Obama supporters think. We are (were) proud Americans who are now very scared of what we have to look forward to if by some small chance you and CNN are able to push him on in. Won't be done with my vote and i sincerely pray that other TRUE HRC supporters feel the say way. Chicago, you can have him back – let him run your city if you think he's so great. Eight years of McCain will be 10,000% better than even 6 months of Obamanation. ANd guess what – we don't like you either. Mr. Blitzer. Go play golf with Obama while we campaign for McCain. OUr 18,000,000 votes WILL COUNT FOR HIM!

June 9, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  18. Support our troops!

I am in independent, at the start of the primaries I told myself I'm voting democrat no matter who the candidate is and the main reason I'm voting democrat is in hopes that I might not go to Iraq next year. Yes I'm a young military man, I'm stationed with the marines as their medic. I talk to my marines all the time and many of us do not want to go or go back again. Please don't vote for mccain think of the troops!!! Thanks!!!
    Vote Democrat '08!

June 9, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  19. John Smith

If I were Obama, I will tell these "uneducated" and "bitter" Hillary supporters where to go and hide until this election is over. If they think they are doing Obama a favor, that says a lot about the "mind-set" of these folks!

This is NOT about Obama or even the DEM party; it is about the direction that this NATION needs to take! I do not care, as long the individual has the "guts" to bring about "change" in Washington, I will give my vote to that person– Green, Yellow, Black, young or old! This is simple common sense.

Hillary had all the resources, and she blew them all! She ran a horrible campaign, and there is no doubt that she would have ran the U.S. in a horrible manner if she had been the nominee!

No one has made a case yet that Hillary would have done better than she did here! She planned for this process for years, and has only herself to blame. I did support her, but could not hang on to this level of "failure." There is nothing here to be proud about; she disappointed me!

June 9, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  20. Azalea in Canada

It's selfish of Clinton supporters to be so petty as to vote republican.
    This is not a game. There's too much at stake for the US and for world peace. They need to lose the tunnel vision – big picture folks !!

Democrat in the white house '08

June 9, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  21. Sylvia Johnsen

They should be nervous: Superdelegates chose the negative candidate who has nothing left of the three pillars he started the campaign with: 1) Change; Obama is in the pocket of old white Dems and lobbyists, 2) Bridging the divide: He breaks the mole on devisive, and can't even bridge the divide with Clinton. What are he dragging his feet for? and 3) Hope: Obama, the churchless candidate has enought money to beat McCharacter. Gamble against popular vote for this guy is not good. At best the leadership of Kennedy, Byrde, Biden, Dole and Pelosi are hospitilized.

June 9, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  22. king from toronto

that's it!! i'm goin huffinton post.cnn still tryin to sell the vp ticket.cnn ur really losin it

June 9, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  23. Ed

You need something to report on ? Eh Wolf..focus on the issues that the Average American is facing today....but Wolf, you and your friends are not average Americans , so you do not have a real feel of the issues of poverty and declining incomes......

June 9, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  24. 4HILLARY

HILLARY CAN'T STOP US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE WILL BE VOTING AGAINST THE DNC AND THEIR SELECTED CANDIDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOODBYE OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!

HELLO PRESIDENT MCCAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE CAN YELL ALSO 58 old white ladies for OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS 58 YEAR OLD WHITE LADY DEMOCRAT WILL BE VOTING AGAINST OBAMA AND THE DNC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 9, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  25. Mindy

Just wanted to mention to you guys, a lot of us in the Obama campaign have a general interest in hearing out the concerns some of Hillary's supporters are feeling, and there is a good dialogue going on on the Obama website's blog right now.

I hope we can mend the hard feelings, and make sure that Hillary's people feel like they have a voice in this campaign. That's what a lot of us are working for right now.

June 9, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |