June 9th, 2008

Blitzer: Many of Clinton's supporters are still angry

Will angry Clinton supporters come around by fall?
Will angry Clinton supporters come around by fall?

WASHINGTON (CNN) – There is no doubt that many of Hillary Clinton’s most passionate supporters remain very angry right now. They are especially angry over the way they believe their candidate was treated by some of Barack Obama’s supporters and the news media.

I have received numerous e-mails suggesting that Clinton was the victim of a mean-spirited sexism that elements of the news media spread around, and that the Obama campaign never did enough to dispel - even though Senator Obama now goes out of his way to effusively praise her.

“I’m a better candidate because of the work she did and she deserves our honor and our respect and our gratitude,” he said the other day. “And my two daughters see themselves differently because she ran for President of the United States of America.”

Senator Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California, was a strong Clinton supporter. “I think if you look at the pundits, if you read the columns and go back and read them, some of them were really in my view malicious, very personal and venal sometimes,” she told me. “And I have a hard time understanding why that was necessary.”

Feinstein, like so many other Clinton supporters, is now totally on board the Obama bandwagon. Still, there are very hard feelings. Obama will need many of those ardent Clinton supporters if he hopes to win the presidency against John McCain. His campaign knows that.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. ED FL

Hey CNN when are you going to Quit trying to be the ones who select the President. YOU AND MSNBC HAVE BEEN THE MOST DISGRACEFUL AND DISHONEST MEDIA THAT THIS COUNTRY HAS EVER SEEN. QUIT TRYING TO MAKE THE NEWS AND REPORT IT. THE AMERICAN PEOPLE WILL MAKE THE CHOICE. FOX IS ABOUT THE ONLY HONEST NETWORK AROUND. WE KNOW THEY ARE BIASED BUT IT IS ABOVE BOARD AND NOT A BUNCHOF SNEAKS>

June 9, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  2. Frank, Oklahoma

I am still a very ardent supporter of Hillary. She was treated terribly especially from the Democrats. And all because she is a woman. I not voting period in this upcoming election.

June 9, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  3. Lurch

People Who wanted to vote for Hillary has to understand that they agreed on 95% of what they wanted for the country. If people really wanted a new direction they would get behind Obama and support him but if they really like the division this country has taken then keep with the side of Mccain and when they start crying about getting robbed at the gas pumps and the lack of jobs and crime increase then they will get a reality check of why they should have voted for OBama.

June 9, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  4. Shelly in IL

Angry for what? Well if they want Hillary in 2012 and that's if Obama loses, they will need to do a lot of sucking up...lol

June 9, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  5. Carol

For god's sake this was a Presidential primary race – what did you expect? Yeah, it got mean and nasty. No worse than other races before or after. Wait until you see how vicious the general election is going to get.
    These two candidates, their surrogates, and supporters were in it to win it. One will win – one will lose. Now the excuses, the blame game. Get over it and move on – how childish.

June 9, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  6. 4HILLARY

OBAMA SAID IN PRIMARIES "" become democrat for a day "`he was talking to repubs who hATED HILLARY –SO THEY CAN VOTE FOR OBAMA TO TAKE HILL OUT –

SO MCCAIN —-

U SHOULD HAVE A AD SAYING ""become repub for a day "`

because we love to take obama out ,,,

June 9, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  7. Will from NYC

Hey Nana5 what are you a retard or a McCain supporter?... oh nevermind same thing.

Hey Wolf how about a report about how GOP idiots go on buletin boards like this and do what they do best. Deceive, lie, pretend to be Demorcrats... they got no choice the GOP candidate wears depends and can't remember what he said 2 days ago.

Yeah if you want $7.00 gas vote for McCain.

June 9, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  8. vINCe

IF YOU ARE A HILLARY SUPPORTER WHO CLAIMS THEY WILL NOW VOTE FOR MCCAIN, I SUGGEST THAT YOU DO NOT CARE ABOUT WOMEN OR WOMENS' ISSUES! MCCAIN WILL APPOINT CONSERVATIVE JUDGES...SAY GOODBYE TO ROE v WADE....SAY GOODBYE TO EVERYTHING HILLARY STOOD FOR BECAUSE MCCAIN IS 180* IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION. YOU WILL UNDO EVERYTHING HILLARY WORKED FOR....

June 9, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  9. Brian Knoxville, TN

O-Ba-Ma....NO

O-Ba-Ma....NO

O-Ba-Ma....NO

No Democrat can vote for a guy who was selected by the failed party's leadership (REMEMBER FAIR REFLECTION!)

No American can vote for a guy who has no record of accomplishments and no qualifications for the office of President of the United States.

June 9, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  10. 4HILLARY

Nooooooooo waaaaaaaay Obama.
    McCain 2008

June 9, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  11. Edana Popp

As a true party believer, and an advocate of party politics and loyalty, I have to say that this race is trying my convictions! I think that this is a time for Democrats angry at the behind-the-scenes maneuvering of the DNC leadership to protest with their votes and their money.

If the DNC wants to WIN the White House in November, and not just increase their voter roles (and their warchest), they need to here from the people who demand the candidate who can win.

Change your registration to Independent, withhold your contributions, write to Dean and the DNC, support those SDs and congressional candidates who stood by Hillary, and punish those who didn't.

Money talks louder than than anything, and power doesn't happen without money.

June 9, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  12. NO MORE NEOCONS

I'm a former Hillary supporter and there is NO WAY i'd ever vote for MCSAME. Anyone who does is throwing everything Hillary fought so hard for under the bus, from health care for all, to bringing the troops home from Iraq. You guys were never Hillary supporters to begin with. In fact, you're probably just Republican trolls and Limbaugh dittoheads trying to stir up trouble. No Hillary supporter in her or his right mind would ever vote McCain.

June 9, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  13. Ebony

How helpful is that? Watch the country go down the tubes? out of spite? and these are the people questioning how Patriotic Obama is. You need to follow Hillary lead and put the good of others and your country ahead of your personal feelings. Thats what wrong with the country now. Every one is so selfish and only concern with themselves. There is little difference in Obama and Hillary beliefs. There are huge differences when you match up Hillary or Obama to McCain.

June 9, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  14. Me

I don't understand-why are Clinton supporters angry? Please, someone tell me. Okay she didn't get the nomination, get over it and please start supporting the democratic nominee! Let's go forward please. Let's beat McCain. You think that by voting for him, you are punishing Democrats? You are punishing yourselves, and your country.

June 9, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  15. Watching around the world

I wish we could just focus on McCain and Obama instead of worrying about the clintons. The clintons have million in their bank account and many of us a suffering.

If Sen. Hillary Clinton supporters will not vote for Obama which they have made it very clear. I attitude is let them go ahead and vote for McCain if that will make them feel better. We are all suffering in this bad economy, and if they think want four or eight more years of the same let it be.

June 9, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  16. Lynn

We are very angry and unless she is on the ticket I will vote for McCain. this is not a threat just a fact. I don't really want her on his ticket, but I will support her. She was just the better candidate. She could out debate him, she knows the issues and just as important has solutions, She is brillant and I would have felt better going in the next years with her as President. Our standing in the world would have been so much better. I know you have heard all of this before – but what could have been. The DNC, media the mean spirited blogs and some Democrat elected officials is the reason I will not vote for Obama. I can't believe that President Clinton is racist, or Geraldine Ferrarro or Hillary meant anything other than Bobby Kennedy ran his campaign until June. The spin just kept on spinning cause by the Obama campaign. Is this raciest. Sounds like the Obama campaign has a problem. And then Michelle do we really want her as first lady.

June 9, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  17. 4HILLARY

I am a Hillary supporter that will vote for McCain. We need a true American in the White House. That's my choice. I have always voted Democrat but they have lost my vote

June 9, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  18. wait a minute

Why does Wolf continue baby Hillary supporters?
    It's time to move on.

June 9, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  19. aware

Right Wolf!

I am totally disillusioned with the Democratic party this year. But, I always vote for the person who would be the best president in the general election.

This time the best candidate was Hillary Clinton but the current extreme left-wing Democratic party and media demolished her! So, now, McCain, the American hero and centrist candidate, more in touch with mainstream America is the best candidate!

This disillusioned Democrat, leaning Independent, will vote for McCain! :)

June 9, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  20. Kelby from Houston, TX

I have never seen such a collection ignorant, stupid, petty, hypocritical, bitter stupid people in my entire life. If you loved Hillary, If you believed in anything she said or stood for then you would stand with the Democratic party. THERE IS TOO MUCH AT STAKE FOR YOU TO BE SO BITTER AND PETTY

June 9, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  21. Don't be a Victim!

A close friend of mine who has worked on multiple high profile republican campaigns told me that most of these anonymous anti-Obama, pro-McCain comments from alleged Hillary supporters are in fact being written by republican campaign workers to foster division in the Democratic ranks! I know some of these comments are from true Hillary supporters, and I understand the frustration real Clinton supporters are feeling, but do not fall victim to another manuever by the right's attack machine! They just want to use us. I for one will support the views of the candidate I supported and make sure her dream for America lives on. McCain is not the answer. Obama-Clinton 08.

June 9, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  22. not this time

i think YOU are still angry, wolf. you cover this same silly topic every day, ask the same silly hillary for vp question EVERY DAY

aren't journalists supposed to find new stories to report on? what happened to you, wolf?

are you bitter?

get over it and cover the ISSUES sir

June 9, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  23. Ashamed

IF NOT HILLARY, THEN OBAMA!!!

June 9, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  24. DFoster

Why are Hillary's supporters so bent on not voting for Barack Obama? I cannot understand why any democrate wouldn't. And it seems to be not just the women, but the men as well. Even if Barack hasn't been in the Senate as long as Hillary or McCain, he is the best candidate that we have right now to fix this situation. Remember ... there are only two(2) candidates left to choose from. McCain doesn't know anything about the economy ... he said it himself. Hillary and Barack have almost identical solutions for so many of our problems. Who do you think will most likely ask Hillary for her input, Barack Obama or John McCain? I think you all know the answer to that.

June 9, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  25. 4HILLARY

Any of you want free delegates ??

ask obama how —-