June 9th, 2008

Blitzer: Many of Clinton's supporters are still angry

Will angry Clinton supporters come around by fall?
Will angry Clinton supporters come around by fall?

WASHINGTON (CNN) – There is no doubt that many of Hillary Clinton’s most passionate supporters remain very angry right now. They are especially angry over the way they believe their candidate was treated by some of Barack Obama’s supporters and the news media.

I have received numerous e-mails suggesting that Clinton was the victim of a mean-spirited sexism that elements of the news media spread around, and that the Obama campaign never did enough to dispel - even though Senator Obama now goes out of his way to effusively praise her.

“I’m a better candidate because of the work she did and she deserves our honor and our respect and our gratitude,” he said the other day. “And my two daughters see themselves differently because she ran for President of the United States of America.”

Senator Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California, was a strong Clinton supporter. “I think if you look at the pundits, if you read the columns and go back and read them, some of them were really in my view malicious, very personal and venal sometimes,” she told me. “And I have a hard time understanding why that was necessary.”

Feinstein, like so many other Clinton supporters, is now totally on board the Obama bandwagon. Still, there are very hard feelings. Obama will need many of those ardent Clinton supporters if he hopes to win the presidency against John McCain. His campaign knows that.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. dmw

And although the anger at the disrespect Hillary received from the media, Obama, and his supporters will lessen over time, I still will not vote for Obama. He is too inexperienced to lead this country. The liberal media forced him down our throats in the primary, but, they will not be able to do that in the general election because where Obama gained his delegate lead through caususes and from the Superdelegates, he will not have that advantage now.

I will write her name on my ballot in November.

Hillary Clinton 2012

June 9, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  2. Sheanne

Not only will I NOT VOTE, but am in the process of changing my party affiliation from Democrat to Independant.

June 9, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  3. NObama

I've waited 8 years, what is another 4.

McCain 08
    Hillary 12

June 9, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  4. China

For God's sake! Are you so blind, so small minded that you would rather end up paying six or seven dollars a gallon for gas; expand this Iraq war into Iran and have another twenty thousand American men and women die so McCain can continue siphoning off an additional eight to ten percent of each and every working person's gross weekly income to the cabal of corporations that George Bush steals for?

Are some of Hillary Clinton's supporters so blind (or racist) that they want to see McCain steal ANOTHER three trillion dollars and drive our deficit even further up?!

For Heaven's sake; don't be that stupid; don't be that racist that you would sacrifice American health so the Bush-McCain corporate rulers will flood us with deadly Chinese medicine; poisonous Chinese toys; and ruinous war!

June 9, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  5. No McCain

I think ONLY THE MEDIA IS ANGRY not TRUE CLINTON SUPPORTERS. Sorry CNN, we can't continue to destroy each other just so that u have a "BREAKING" story to report.

June 9, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  6. George

This is totally media propganda. yes there may be 100 or 200 or even 500 people who visited Macaain website. Based on these handful of people, now CNN is making a news. these media people are like this. they want something on the air. some people will not vote for Obama. we know this. CNN is making this story to help Mccian. everybody knows it . dont worry democrats.

June 9, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  7. peter

Yes we will remember in November, we will vote for McCain.
    Media dont like Hillary, but we will see with all the Media voting for Obama, and 18 million from Hillary voting for McCain.

June 9, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  8. MI Women 4 Obama!

Well Wolf, there's plenty of Obama supporters still angry too. If Obama looses..in my opinion it will be all the Clinton's fault. The Clinton's spent months yelling...I am better, I am better....I got more popular vote...playing the race card, the sexist card, the Bosnia lie and other lies...blah, blah, blah.

She did her speach on Saturday and where is she now, quite as a mouse. Hillary and Bill need to be out there as strong for Obama as they were for their own self interst.

...and the Clinton supporters crying to vote McSame and "watch this country go down the tubes"...? If that's how you feel then WHY NOT vote for Barack...maybe you'll get a pleasant surprise!

I've been a Republican all my life until this year. I have every confidence that Barack is capable of leading this country...Clinton supports seem to forget that one of our most memorable Presidends, Robert F. Kennedy, was a young fellow too.

Clinton supporters...if you vote for McSame just out of spite then the whole country suffers including yourself. It is clear that Clinton supports don't like McSame...but will vote out of spite.

One thing is clear though...WE NEED A DEMOCRAT IT THE WHITE HOUSE AND I DON'T CARE IF IT'S MY 10 YEAR OLD GRAND-SON....NO MORE REPUBLICAN'S IN THE WHITE HOUSE!

June 9, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  9. wait a minute

Hillary will not deliver votes for Obama unless Obama can promse what's in it for her.

June 9, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  10. Kenneth M.

I think that if Hillary believed in youSonia4Hillary she would not have lied about Bosnia. Also, she would not have voted for the war. Dont cry for her, I am sure she will bully her way into the cabinet in some post. In the mean time, you girls talk amongs yourselves.

June 9, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  11. lr

yes why would'nt we. they stole this from hillary. it's like Gore all over again.

we are all ( my friends and family) voting for mc cain. i cannot imagine voting for someone who won because of his speeches

June 9, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  12. WOMEN 4HILLARY

Scripps Survey Research Center poll shows that 25 percent of those who voted for Clinton in the primary said they would not vote for Obama.”

Stats also point to that percentage rising…

25% and growing…I hope they listen.
    HA HA HA

DID OBAMA SAY "` i can get hill, supporters but the question is cAN SHE GET MINE""

OH BOY "` DOES SOMEONE HAS FOOT IN THE MOUTH DISEASE"`

June 9, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  13. Arkansas Undertaker

I am so sick an tired of you Hillary Clinton supporters or Closeted Republicans and your threats, I could just spit!!!

If you vote John McCain into office in 2008, what in HELL makes you think we are going to rally behind Hillary Clinton in 2012. Hatred is a two way street. I was actually liking the idea of Hillary as VP, until all of your threats and pushing has turned me off.

We OBAMA supporters really dont care if you DO or DO NOT Support Obama. We are tired of kissing your behinds to make you happy. If Barack looses because of you this fall. Hillary is doomed in 2012 and me and millions of others will make sure of that. You better beileve it!

June 9, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  14. peter

Hillary I admired you, I love you and I respect you, but NOOOOOOOOOOO OBAma.

June 9, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  15. Mfelder

True Democrats do not flip-flop between party loyalty. Most of the time, we go into that polling booth and pull the lever for the lesser of the 2 evils, but a democrat we support. For most of us, there are fundamental differences not between the candidate so to say, but between the ideologies of the democratic and republican parties. So if anyone, who claims to be a democrat is defecting to the republican party, I say they weren't true democrats to start.

June 9, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  16. vINCe

***Ray in MN June 9th, 2008 4:04 pm ET

I would have to agree. I'm a grumbling Clinton supporter. I am a Democrat too, but I'm having a really hard time coming over to Obama. Especially after it was reported that he went golfing during her concession speech – how arrogant!***

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? YOU'RE UPSET THAT HE WENT GOLFING DURING HER CONCESSION SPEECH???? OBAMA MADE A GRACIOUS SPEECH PRAISING HILLARY BEFORE SHE EVEN MADE HER CONCESSION SPEECH! HE PRAISED HER ON ALL LEVELS! HE BASICALLY KISSED HER BUTT ON NATIONAL TV BEFORE SHE MADE HER CONCESSION SPEECH BUT THAT'S NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU???? JUST ADMIT YOU HAVE A PROBLEM VOTING FOR A BLACK MAN CUZ ANY OTHER RATIONALE FOR NOT VOTING FOR HIM WOULD SUGGEST YOU'RE JUST AN IDIOT.

June 9, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  17. Nto in TX

You know what – Hillary asked for some of what she got. She started with al the negativity in this campaign, at some point she had to receive some of the punches her and her husband were throwing. I started off a Hillary suporter and switched to Obama while they were campaigning because the Clinton side was just being childish at times. In the quest for unity we have to move on. We have to look at the bigger picture here...

June 9, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  18. Shirley, Texas

THESE PEOPLE NEED TO GET OVER THEIR SELF-IMPORTANCE!

THE NEWS MEDIA IS NOT THE BLAME FOR HILLARY'S LOSS! THE LOSS CAN BE ATTRIBUTED TO: (1) ORGANIZATION, (2) POOR PLANNING, (3) MISREPRESENTATION OF FACTS, (4) MONEY, (5) LIES AND DECEPTION!

WE HAVE SEEN IT BEFORE AND DID NOT WANT TO GO THERE AGAIN. WE HAVE SPOKEN AND THOSE PEOPLE NEED TO GET OVER IT AND MOVE ON!

WE NEED TO GET RID OF DIANE AND ALL THE POLITICALLY ATTACHED HILLARY LOVERS!

June 9, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  19. leslie

The long and hard primary is over. Cover the issues like healthcare, supreme court choices, war, jobs etc.... this great nation has alot ahead of it.

June 9, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  20. DD, New York

RE: Obama's $50 billion in incentives: IF IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT IS!!!!!! Yeah, I am an angry Hillary supporter, and I am not sure how this will play out for me personally in November. The reason why Obama's plans are so similary to Hillary's is because he stole them from her, and tweaked the ideas a bit to sound like they are from him. Remember at the debates, he would not give an answer until AFTER Hillary responded, so he could say something similar. He can't do that with debating McCain and will have to think on his own feet for once. Yep, I am angry.

June 9, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  21. Marty Ohio

No doubt it will hurt the Dem's chance of getting in the white house and no doubt that the abuse was pretty blatant. The media tries to elect presidents. They are the ones that are taking your votes away.

This country is toying with the idea of hiring a non-experienced state senator to the white house. Now think about it , how dumb is that ?

But in watching CNN and MsNBC you would think it was the best thing that could ever happen to the country. The media is a joke, and they will make this election close but in the end people will side with the better choice thats left and it will be McCain where it would have been Hillary Clinton. Then the media can blame themselves for ruining the Dem's shot at the white house. Geez, did you see that Russert guy ? He just absolutely hates Hillary and it is openly obvious.

June 9, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  22. Anna

If not Hillary then Obama!!!!

Go Obama!!!

Obama 08/12

June 9, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  23. WOMEN 4HILLARY

You Obamanazis need to get over it…. your candidate SUCKS.

I will never vote for Dick Chaney's cousin. NEVER!

No more Chaneys in the White House.

June 9, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  24. Proud1of 26% in WV

When Clinton decided to go negative with the campaign,even though she had to to stay in the race before Ohio and Texas the nastiness broke out from both sides.As an Obama supporter I'm still angry about the way West Virginians were portrayed as uneducated hillbillies by some Clinton supporters.If she had have done the right thing and got out when the math became impossible instead of trying to take it away then most of the feelings could have been avioded.So dont blame it all on Obama supporters.

June 9, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  25. tidho

Even if the media was rough on Obama is that his fault? Maybe if she hadn't failed so miserable in Iowa when she was expected to have it wrapped up by New Hampshire the media would have been nicer to her.

June 9, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |