June 9th, 2008

Blitzer: Many of Clinton's supporters are still angry

Will angry Clinton supporters come around by fall?
Will angry Clinton supporters come around by fall?

WASHINGTON (CNN) – There is no doubt that many of Hillary Clinton’s most passionate supporters remain very angry right now. They are especially angry over the way they believe their candidate was treated by some of Barack Obama’s supporters and the news media.

I have received numerous e-mails suggesting that Clinton was the victim of a mean-spirited sexism that elements of the news media spread around, and that the Obama campaign never did enough to dispel - even though Senator Obama now goes out of his way to effusively praise her.

“I’m a better candidate because of the work she did and she deserves our honor and our respect and our gratitude,” he said the other day. “And my two daughters see themselves differently because she ran for President of the United States of America.”

Senator Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California, was a strong Clinton supporter. “I think if you look at the pundits, if you read the columns and go back and read them, some of them were really in my view malicious, very personal and venal sometimes,” she told me. “And I have a hard time understanding why that was necessary.”

Feinstein, like so many other Clinton supporters, is now totally on board the Obama bandwagon. Still, there are very hard feelings. Obama will need many of those ardent Clinton supporters if he hopes to win the presidency against John McCain. His campaign knows that.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Jessica, MI

Honestly, there are a lot of people in here saying stupid stuff just to rile people up.

Case in point "WOMEN 4HILLARY" at 4:19.

June 9, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  2. Bob

It's all part of the VSMC (vast sexist media conspiracy).

With Clinton, there's a reoccurring theme of blaming others.

June 9, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  3. ADEAS

go ahead. Vote for McCain and you will still safer 4 more years of hardship. Vote for McCain and you will save few cents on gasoline price.
    Vote for McCain and the international community won't see a difference between Bush and him. Vote for McCain and you won't see any progress or reform in the educational system.I see that you prefer to give up your democratic values over anger toward Obama. I hope you are smart enough.IT NOT ABOUT OBAMA BUT DEMOCRATIC PARTY AND THE VALUES THAT IT PROMOTES

June 9, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  4. Independent Voter

So what about the Clinton backers who have made racial remarks towards Obama during th past few months??? Yes, sexism and racism is an ugly matter. But I think both camps have equally received a media beat down on all levels.

June 9, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  5. Debbie,NJ

You've waited 8 years, what another 4? ANother disappointment because if you are a Dem and vote for McCain believe me we will do the same in 2012 if it comes to that. Here you go again shooting yourself in the foot, or the mouth.

June 9, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  6. Indyvoter4Hillary

I supported Hillary as an indy voter NOT a democrat. I have no desire to vote for Obama. If I wanted to vote for him I would have voted for him in the primary. Just becuase I don't support Obama doesn't mean anything other than the fact I don't like the guy or his wife.
    Not supporting Obama does not make you stupid or a racist. Some people just don't want him as the 44th President.
    Trashing people to get your point across is not going to help Obama or his race for the White House! If this what Obama stands for I am glad he NEVER had my support.

June 9, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  7. Patel

Go McCain/Hillary

June 9, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  8. MDB Baltimore

Every candidate went through appalling prejudice!!!!!!!!!!!! If you believe the sexism that Clinton went through was anything compared to racism that Sen. Obama experienced, then you're completely insane. The number of death threats on Sen. Obama was beyond that received by any other candidate in history – didn't hear that reported on... did-ya? NOR did you hear his campaign complain. He knew what he was getting into and still went through with it. By your own words Clinton – IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT, THEN GET THE HELL OUT OF THE KITCHEN!!!!.

June 9, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  9. Alice - NYC

Hey Obama folks,

I will vote for Obama as soon as you guys contribute some $30 mill and help pay off Hillary's campaign debt.

No way you say, i feel the same.

Go McCain 08

June 9, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  10. Still for Hill

Don't blame Hillary when Obama loses the election... Blame the media, his supporters, and his surrogates... Oh, blame Obama too... He was foolish to think he could win with no experience.

June 9, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  11. Cincy Nurse

Keep it coming Hillary Fans. There is no way I am getting on the OBAMA band wagon. Absolutely no way!! No Experience...No substance....absolutely no way!

Just say "NO" to the DNC and their support for Obama. Hillary was robbed and everyone knows it. I think she did a splendid job in doing what she had to do for the business of politics, but we the voters don't have to go along with it!

I am voting for McCain! At the very least we know what we may be in for...with OBAMA...god only knows!!

McCain '08

Hillary in 2012

June 9, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  12. YES WE ARE

pretty UNBELIEVABLE how our democracy works!

June 9, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  13. kat

PARTY UNITY HAS TO BE ONE OF THE POOREST EXCUSES TO VOTE FOR SOMEONE EVER– CLINTON SUPPORTERS DO NOT LIKE OBAMA'S ARROGANCE, HIS BACKGROUND , OR HIS OUTRIGHT PRESUMPTION -THAT CLINTON SUPPORTERS WILL AUTOMATICALLY GO TO HIM– HE HASN'T DONE ANYTHING YET TO GAIN MY VOTE-I'LL SIMPLY VOTE FOR THE BEST PERSON FOR THE JOB– SO FAR THAT IS MCCAIN

June 9, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  14. John, Brooklyn, New York

I find it baffling that many Hillary supporters claim that the DNC favored Obama.

Hillary Clinton is the consumate party machine "inside" candidate. If anyone was advantaged by DNC connections – it was Hillary.

Clearly the Clinton campaign was happy to cozy up to the DNC – as long as things were going well. I guess its no surprise that the first target for blame that a "machine" candidate chooses when they lose is...well...the machine itself.

June 9, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  15. naliakar

Wolf
    you mean Rush Limbaugh cross overs. Well I hear you.

June 9, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  16. SONIA4HILLARY

PUMA

PUMA

PUMA

CAN I HAVE SOME FREE DELEGATES PLS??

June 9, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  17. Rob

McCain 08!

June 9, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  18. Bob Texas

Sionia4Hillary and 4Hillary is probably the same person. A Republican. More than likely Rush Limbaugh

June 9, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  19. Andrew

Hillary, or McCain '08.

Hopefully Pelosi, Reid, Dean, Kennedy, Kerry, Edwards, and Richardson will have no part in the DNC when 2012 rolls around. They have ruined the party.

Carter, Kerry, and Edwards are the biggest losers ever.

June 9, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  20. Comedy Central

Voting for McCain is a disaster, but so is voting for Obama. You would think that in this very important time of our history, we could have come up with a good candidate. Instead we continue with our "dumbing down" of America ways.

June 9, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  21. Lee Chang

Yes, Clinton supportes – vote McCain, and have Hillary come back in 2012.

GO HILLARY GO.

June 9, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  22. Happily Independent

I am sure some of Clinton supporters are still angry. It was a long, hard-fought primary. Clinton supporters firmly believed in their candidate. That is admirable. As a Obama supporter, I respect that. I am not going to tell them what to do. Since Obama has similar views to Hillary Clinton, I would hope that they would give their support to the Democratic nominee. In the end, whether they support Obama, McCain or not vote is their choice. I do know that Obama will listen to her views on issues much more than McCain will. Time will tell when the convention comes around which direction the Clinton supporters will travel.

June 9, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  23. Andy Looks at the facts

If there are angry clinton supporters that want to switch over to the mccain side, then so be it. That is the choice and the freedom they have. However, the election ballot doesn´t ask for a reason of why you voted for the candidate you did. Therefore, drop the grudge, if you were a democratic for Hillary, you are a democrat for obama...if you were a republican for Hillary, then now you can be a republican for mccain- but those ignorant people that get hung up on obama´s middle name, the fact that clinton didn´t win, or whatever other reason to be angry at obama or the DNC- i urge you all to look to the issues for this election, because a democrat that votes for mccain is only spiting himself and and his beliefs....YOUR VOTES FOR MCCAIN WILL NOT PROPERLY EXPRESS YOUR ANGER FOR CLINTONS LOSS- THEY ARE JUST ANOTHER VOTE TO MCCAIN TO CONTINUE BUSH´S FAILED POLICIES

June 9, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  24. ccooper

We are a special group of men and women with more coming in every day. Yes we don't like what the DNC and the media did to Hillary Obama will not get our votes and million more. Hillary want be the fault that he loose. We will see that he loose. The DNC will get just what coming to them a defeat that the republicans will give to them.Obama's and his campaign will get just what is coming to them
    when the GE electionis done. We will sit out or vote for John McCain.
    We perfer Hillary in 08..

June 9, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  25. Debbie,NJ

Even Hillary's campaign managers admit the truth that they blew it. SHe blew it. God hates ugly and vengence is his. So get mad at GOd too while you're at it.

June 9, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |