June 9th, 2008

Blitzer: Many of Clinton's supporters are still angry

Will angry Clinton supporters come around by fall?
Will angry Clinton supporters come around by fall?

WASHINGTON (CNN) – There is no doubt that many of Hillary Clinton’s most passionate supporters remain very angry right now. They are especially angry over the way they believe their candidate was treated by some of Barack Obama’s supporters and the news media.

I have received numerous e-mails suggesting that Clinton was the victim of a mean-spirited sexism that elements of the news media spread around, and that the Obama campaign never did enough to dispel - even though Senator Obama now goes out of his way to effusively praise her.

“I’m a better candidate because of the work she did and she deserves our honor and our respect and our gratitude,” he said the other day. “And my two daughters see themselves differently because she ran for President of the United States of America.”

Senator Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California, was a strong Clinton supporter. “I think if you look at the pundits, if you read the columns and go back and read them, some of them were really in my view malicious, very personal and venal sometimes,” she told me. “And I have a hard time understanding why that was necessary.”

Feinstein, like so many other Clinton supporters, is now totally on board the Obama bandwagon. Still, there are very hard feelings. Obama will need many of those ardent Clinton supporters if he hopes to win the presidency against John McCain. His campaign knows that.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. REM, Albany, CA

Wolf,

Please find another story. Let the HRC supporters run through their grieving and healing process.

1. Denial
    2. Anger
    3. Acceptance
    4. Action

Clearly, we're in stage 2 here. Any rational person that lines up with HRC positions would be insane to back McCain's politics. So, this vote McCain option is just emotion and grief talking. Stop picking on them. Let them get to acceptance and then into action which is for the Democrats to win the presidency.

HRC is the consummate profession and she will lead her supports down the right path in due time. While you may find it amusing and news worthing Wolf, your focusing peoples' anger at this moment is not very helpful and lacking sensitivity.

June 9, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  2. Georgia Independent

I am so over this mess. We have almost 6 months to the real election. What d'ya wanna bet that there will be something else to be agitated about between now and then other than disgruntled Hillary supporters?

Let them take a breather, stop poking at stick at them. Let them listen to the ongoing rhetoric – some from a visionary (but inexperienced) man, some from a warmonger and seemingly senile/confused man. McWar won't hold up through the campaign without throwing some sort of hissy – we'll all see his true colors... Watch, listen, then vote your conscience in November.

June 9, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  3. naliakar

READ MAUREEN DOWD: THE ONLY SANE FEMINIST

June 9, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  4. 58 old white ladies for OBAMA

ALL WOMEN REGARDLESS OF PARTY AFFILIATION,

OR PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE PREFERENCE

NEED TO REMEMBER THAT IF MCSAME HAD

THE VOTES HE WOULD REVERSE ROW V. WADE

IN A N.Y. MINUTE.

June 9, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  5. Debbie,NJ

Even Hillary's campaign managers admit the truth that they blew it. SHe blew it. G-o-d hates ugly and vengence is his. So get mad at G-o-d too while you're at it.

June 9, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  6. Alice

Ray (and others) – Obama did not "go golfing" during Clinton's speech, and CNN should be ashamed for insinuating he did. He watched her speech (in real time) on his laptop.

June 9, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  7. Lynn

Sorry for my previous comments by my mispelled wordsI'm living on 5 hours asleep with working two jobs. To add a comment to that if it gets printed. Obama is just not qualified for President. He has no experience. If the campaign had been fair by all, Hillary supporters would have welcome him inspite of his lack of experience. His Republican tactics was to swiftboat Hillary and sadly with the help of the young college students it worked.

June 9, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  8. New Day

ummmmmm... This all happened a week ago. Of course Hillary supporters are still angry; they had their hearts and souls invested in this campaign. Maybe CNN should take the moral high road and STOP coming out with these incindiary blogs with no news value whatsoever and let her supporters grieve in peace. sheeeeesh!

June 9, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  9. FROM HILLARY TO MCCAIN

WE WILL NOT COME AROUND

COME NOVEMBER WE'LL REMEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 9, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  10. Ray in MN

Respect isnt watching the close of a historic primary from a laptop. If he is so above the fray, why not prove it? Now that he doesnt have to worry about Hillary anymore, watch, more vacations than Bush are in the future. I'm not an Obama hater - like so many on here - but I havent sipped the coolaid yet either.

On another note, could you imagine the outrage that bloggers would be posting if this were the other way around? They'd be out to linch Hillary! Wow... its amazing to think sometimes, huh! Leave us humble Clinton supporters to our grieving process or you are only going to fan already heated flames of furry.

June 9, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  11. Indyvoter4Hillary

It seems to me that even Obama knows he DOES need some of Hilary's supporters that is why he is going after her backers.

June 9, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  12. SONIA4HILLARY

WE LOVE YOU HILLARY

WE LOVE YOU HILLARY

SORRY -BARACK –"`you r likeable enough hillary ""remember -

June 9, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  13. Kevin

Which candidate has been treated unfairly?

Last time I checked Obama was being ridiculed for flag pins, being black, having a renegade preacher, being Muslim, having an Arab sounding middle name, having his supporters get doors slammed in their faces by racists, having Clinton say "Shame on You," having his name replaced with Osama, etc.

He also has to have Secret Service protection, probably due to threats against his life.

The problem is that people are too scared of Clinton to tell her and her supporters the truth:

she got beat by the better candidate! There was no bias!

June 9, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  14. mollygonz

Yes, they are still angry because the nomination race JUST ended. Can we give them time to come to terms before dissecting their reactions..UGH!!

June 9, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  15. David Natale Amsterdam NY

DEMOCRATS SCREWED AGAIN. THIS TIME THEY DID IT WITHOUT ANY REPUBLICAN HELP. HOW SORRY IS THAT .HILLARY" S TRUE FEELINGS I AM SURE ;; VOTE MCAINE. WHY PEOPLE BELIEVE THEY OWE THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY IS BEYOND ME. ANYBODY BUT OBAMA IN 08

June 9, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  16. SONIA4HILLARY

Can i have some freeeeee delegates too??

how much for 4 delegates???

June 9, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  17. ALLBAMALLTHETIME

RESPONDING TO:

Brian Knoxville, TN June 9th, 2008 4:13 pm ET

O-Ba-Ma….NO

O-Ba-Ma….NO

O-Ba-Ma….NO

No Democrat can vote for a guy who was selected by the failed party's leadership (REMEMBER FAIR REFLECTION!)

No American can vote for a guy who has no record of accomplishments and no qualifications for the office of President of the United States.

Brian–you are the worst kind of vitrolic, clandestine, white-racist fanatic. Hillary would be loathe to look into your eyes and see all of the hate oozing out like a crusty old sore. You are FAR to embittered with disillusionment to see the forest for the trees. For you and all like you, I have one word: Do whatever the hell makes your day. We will prevail in the midst of your hypocrisy...then WHAT?!

June 9, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  18. Michelle

I am sickened by the bias in the media.

What has happened to professionalism?
    Investigative journalism–ever hear of it?

The media is supposed to just report the facts, not try to influence or sway. And we don't care about your opinions.

Stop trying to be celebrities and just report the facts..

June 9, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  19. A. Lopez

Mr. Obama will not be the next president of the Unitad Sates Of America. He doesn't have the experience. Democrats with McCain!!!!!!!

June 9, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  20. Joe Six

Of course Hillary's supporters are upset. Just look at the media coverage. From Chris Matthews (the only reason Hillary is a candidate is that her husband messed with Monica) to David Schuster (kinda like pimping Chelsea) to Keith Olbermann to all of the other MSNBC and CNN types who were oozing for Obama, the media coverage was biased and unfair. Obama was the media darling and the media got what it wanted. Watch Fox for fair coverage, and vote McCain for a Presidency that will reach across party lines.

June 9, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  21. peter

DNC Forced Hillary to Support OBAMA

June 9, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  22. shirley

what can we do for obama? what can he do for his country? he can get out of politics.

June 9, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  23. Ed, Santa Fe NM

BOO and HOO.... The old hag LOST... and I laughed and laughed!

Get over yourselves and move on.

OBAMA '08 and '12

June 9, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  24. Kathy

The DNC failed its constituents’ miserably in falling to acknowledge every vote cast and counted in Michigan and Florida..period. The principals for which the party was founded are simple…one voice..one vote. As far as the “rules” pertaining to the date of which a state is suppose to hold its primary-I say—to hell with these arbitrary rules put in place by political party elitists-they undermine the founding principles of the party by disenfranchising those who showed up to vote. The voters in these states had no voice in these decisions, but they went to the polls anyway, and they voted, even if they voted “uncommitted”. And this nonsense about how these votes would not count because they broke the rules, thus possible encouraging these voters to stay home—I say ridiculous. If you are a registered voter and as so, those that did not go to the polls—well I guess they did not take their privilege to vote seriously.
    By disenfranchising those that did vote, the DNC intentionally disenfranchised and abandoned the strongest candidate to head the ticket- Hillary. She with her tremendous strength, knowledge and courage was tossed aside for an ill-qualified community organizer with two years of Senate experience. Let me make clear, I do not hate Obama however I firmly believe him to be the weakest candidate to head the ticket. Those same party leaders did not have the courage to realize this and they will pay a price for their stupidity. I have heard those same party leaders repeatedly say, well gee, what would we say to the African American voter, and all those newly registered college folk who backed Obama-that would be a against our principals to “take” the nomination away from him, I say BULL. To the 92% of the African Americans and those college folk who apparently voted overwhelmingly for Obama, I ask…. where have you been all these years when the party needed your votes in prior elections--then you stayed home, or failed to register and vote.
    I have been a loyal supporter of the party my entire adult life-no more. You have shown me time and time again that you are gutless and have no clear clue how to win elections. You lack the vision and the wisdom to do anything other than pat your own pockets and run from the truth-for shame.
    I do not speak for all Hillary supporters, though I do hope I speak for many of them when I say to the party…. you have failed us-you have failed Hillary, and you will once again fail to win the White House, and because of your failure-the party WILL pay a high price. I watched and listen to Hillary ask her supporters to now throw their support to Obama, for the sake of the party. Hillary is a loyalist to the party-why, I’m not sure-because I am no longer so. Well with the deepest respect for Hillary, I will not, with my vote, allow the “rape” of her candidacy to continue. Come Nov I will exercise my right and vote for McCain-two can play the same game. I respect Hillary tremendously, however the party and the process did her wrong and this cannot stand. YES THIS WILL BE A PROTEST VOTE, a vote against the DNC-you need to clean your act up and remember your core constituents, because “Yes We Can” make a difference.
    I am not afraid of McCain, he does not represent 4 more years of Bush-no one could possibly be that stupid. I believe him to be a man of honor who will do his best for this country and its people that he cares deeply for, and for that reason I will place my hope with him. I’d rather hedge my bet on a man of honor than to vote for the voice of chatter. who promises everything to everyone. I say go back to Chicago, drink your green tea and eat your arugula, and O by the way, clean up the mess in your own back yard. And one last thing-no I am not “bitter”-disenfranchised and very angry at the party—yes.

June 9, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  25. CAL Grrl

I hardly read Wolf's post – I don't need his opinion. For the life of me I cannot understand why some people are saying the primaries were "stolen" from HRC. She won an awful lot of them, right? Obama just won more – especially in caucus states. I voted for Hillary myself.

But now that Obama is the Democratic nominee I would NEVER ever vote for a Republican, particularly McCain who doesn't have a handle on what's really happening in our country, and flips & flops all the time. His gets a Zero on Women's rights. Hillary would NEVER vote for or support him. Why would you? I know there's still sexism in this land, and a LOT of racism.
    Calm Down.....and focus on the Democrats winning in November!

June 9, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |