June 9th, 2008

Blitzer: Many of Clinton's supporters are still angry

Will angry Clinton supporters come around by fall?
Will angry Clinton supporters come around by fall?

WASHINGTON (CNN) – There is no doubt that many of Hillary Clinton’s most passionate supporters remain very angry right now. They are especially angry over the way they believe their candidate was treated by some of Barack Obama’s supporters and the news media.

I have received numerous e-mails suggesting that Clinton was the victim of a mean-spirited sexism that elements of the news media spread around, and that the Obama campaign never did enough to dispel - even though Senator Obama now goes out of his way to effusively praise her.

“I’m a better candidate because of the work she did and she deserves our honor and our respect and our gratitude,” he said the other day. “And my two daughters see themselves differently because she ran for President of the United States of America.”

Senator Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California, was a strong Clinton supporter. “I think if you look at the pundits, if you read the columns and go back and read them, some of them were really in my view malicious, very personal and venal sometimes,” she told me. “And I have a hard time understanding why that was necessary.”

Feinstein, like so many other Clinton supporters, is now totally on board the Obama bandwagon. Still, there are very hard feelings. Obama will need many of those ardent Clinton supporters if he hopes to win the presidency against John McCain. His campaign knows that.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. cherry strawberry

I get so sick of people calling Obama "an arrogant black man" I have never heard Bush called "an arrogant whiite man"...or is it that Blacks should me Oh soooo grateful to go to Harvard and Princeton, make a six figure living, and/orshuck and jive and be a good little N Word on the knees groveling and thankful for just being in the white man's shadow.

and for those who have commented that Blacks overwelmingly voted for Barack cause he is Black......YOU ARE DARN RIGHT.....YAWL didnt have Jack to say when we voted for every white candate...we have a Right to be Proud and FINALLY I can show my Son that he too can Dream! Much like the Hillary fanatics can show thier daughters. All is fair

June 9, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  2. Indiana Wants Me.....

Obama supporters have been disrespectful and hateful towards Clinton and her supporters. Branding a lot of Clinton's supporters as "old, bitter white women." Really? These women are your mother, aunt, sister, grandmother, etc. I refuse to vote for Obama even if Hillary is the vp, why should she play second fiddle to him?

CNN and other news channels would have made Hitler's propaganda minister proud. The bias towards Obama was unprofessional and appalling. All us "old, bitter white women" won't forget this in Nov.

McCain gets my vote and money.

June 9, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  3. New Day

Mollygonz – u owe me a beer :)

June 9, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  4. Ex-Hillary supporter

I am angry.
    I am angry that Clinton lied on more than one occasion, arrogantly dismissed voters in the caucus states, praised McCain at the expense of her Democratic colleague and tried to change the rules mid game.
    For me, she was a huge disappointment, and Obama more than compensates.

June 9, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  5. peter

GO
    HILLARY
    HILLARY
    HILLARY
    HILLARY
    HILLARY
    HILLARY
    HILLARY

June 9, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  6. loyal democrats for Obama

Well cnn you have to stop these kind of posting, I believe most Hillary supporters will vote for Obama. Primary is a process to select a candidate not a process to split party. Democrats doesn't practice monarchy so therefore its most go through series primaries and caucuses to choose a candidate.

I believe most people who said they were Hillary supporters and won't vote for Obama are Republicans.

Some states allowed both parties to vote either ways and its doesn't means they will vote the same way comes general election.

Mind you this is facts , those people are not DEMOCRATS and they are there to convince disappointed democrats to vote for Maccain. DEMOCRATS BEWARE.

June 9, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  7. don smith

i am interested in government and know in california we have a republican governer because he was best candidate even though his wife is a famous democart. I see no reason to vote for Obama as his company rezco has been convicted of a felony and he supplied Obama with funding. Also in his Book Obama mentioned Malcom x as a mentor for his thinking. His thinking to my mind is not only socialist but communist if you consider any work on ideology. Ideologicall he will socialize medicine like Russia. I think there is no other choice now but McCain. He loves America and has been prepared to sacrifice his life for his country. Dr McCain also is more intelligent and one who was not helped by affirmative action. I voted for Hilary as best candidate but i do not think Obama is suitable for the job in terms of his spirtual advisers and his support of them

June 9, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  8. Nick Saha

News/opinion programs like MSNBC shows w/ Chris Matthews and Keith O. should not be allowed to go on the air waves as they are irresponsible, non-objective, totally biased and mean spirited.
    They are as low as O'Reily or Hanity shows on FOX network.
    Media definitely has reponsibility. I have no respect for the like of Washington Post, Huffinton Post or LA Times etc. These people intentionally hurt Hillary to help Obama for the heck of making "history".
    I am a lifelong Democrat and this time I felt disgusted w/ media coverage in general. People like Tim Russet should be ashamed of biased commentatay and soft interviews w/ Obama.

June 9, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  9. Eric

As if Obama did not suffer from the medias. Just take a look at your own Dobbs, who was trying to make a whole program out of such important issues like the "sweetie comment". Every one of your shows would bring the infamous Lanny Davis to defend Hillary, even though he does not have any credibility left to defend for himself. If Hillary's supporters want to do a meaningful job, they should attack the media for a coverage that was superfiacial, trapped in non-issue, divisive and poorly informative.

June 9, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  10. Urban Stump

4 Hillary....You need to get a LIFE!!!!!

June 9, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  11. Darth Vadik, CA

Obama people, including myself, please give the Clinton people time to heal, we will come together in the end, maybe not Harriet, but most will.

June 9, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  12. BH

Wolf, we Hillary supporters would like to thank you, Anderson Cooper, and David Geregan for being fair to her. You are not part of the media that was biased. But I will have a hard time ever to watch those biased talking heads on television. It was disgusting to watch Ronald Martin, Jack Cafferty, Keith Olbermann, Chris Matthews, Tim Russert, Campbell Brown etc. They took any words out of the Clinton camp, twisted them, manipulated them and spinned them to win the nomination for the weakest candidate they can find. These disgusting people killed the fighter with hate and bias.

Obama winning the nomination is a joke. Raking up caucua dlegates in the great states of Idaho, Utah, Kansas etc. Give me a break.

June 9, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  13. Obama is the One

Wolf, get over it and STOP trying to force Obama's hand to have him choose Clinton as VP. He will make the best and wisest decision with such skewed commentary. We already know some Clinton supporters are upset. We already know that having her supporters back Obama would be good for him. Thet's as simple as 1 + 1. This is NOT a newsstory, or even an interesting topic for blogosphere discussion.

June 9, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  14. Susan

As strong Democrats, we feel the DNC handled the situation wrong.

And we, along with others, feel the news media, gave her unfair coverage.

What can make things right with Clinton supporters, is to have Clinton as the Vice President. And it would help Obama.

Obama/Hillary 08

June 9, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  15. Helen

I will never vote for Obama unless he picks Hillary as a VP.

June 9, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  16. Support the troops!!!

To those Hillary supporters who aren't voting or voting for McCain, if McCain wins the blood of that soldier that dies after the next president gets in office is on your hands you could have brought us home but you don't care about us. We are your sons and your daughters, bring us home.

June 9, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  17. Richard from MA

Obama is the presumptive democratic nominee because his campaign pictured HRC as an evil. Now, their new strategy is to convince HRC's die hard supporters to switch to their bandwagon for the general elections....
    Tom Dashle the Obama campaign co-chair publicly stated that they do not need HRC to win in November, therefore the BHO campaign should show the World what they are capable of without HRC. Let wait and see!

June 9, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  18. Ron L

WOLFE,
    You REALLY NEED to get off of this for about a month or two. Give the Hillary supporters sometime to take a deep breath.
    THERE IS A LOT MORE FOR YOU TO TALK ABOUT...FIND IT...
    You have been doing this job for a long time...prove it by NOT talking about almost the same thing EVERYDAY...
    YOU CAN DO BETTER...Can't you??? Or am I giving you too much credit??
    If you need help..write a blog asking.. I am sure your viewers will be glad to help.

June 9, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  19. TV

Listen if Barack did something very foul to win this nomination than I have no problem with a democrat voting for McCain. I would have done the same if Hillary had cheated, There is no evidence of Barack doing any wrong to win so if you were a hillary backer and you are going to vote for McCain because Hillary did not win you are so wrong period. I did not want Hillary to win , but if she won fair and square I would grudgingly vote for her because she is a democrat and what she would bring to America despite how I personally feel about her.Like Hillary said long before her concession the differences between her and Barack pale in comparison to the differences between her and McCain.
    I want to give the angry Hillary backers some space , but there is a cut off point when you need to grow up and stop having the temper tantrum.
    If you are saitisfied with the way this economy is running with the 4.00+ a gallon gas( and climbing), the war in iraq, housing crisis and the wounderful way FEMA handles crises than go ahead and vote for McCain! I am sure Hillary would be proud of you.
    If she can suck it in like a solider and support her opponent and you truly admired her you would follow her lead.
    I respect her more now than ever since she is focused on what is good for the country.She may verbally be stronger than Obama, but that is water under the bridge.Their stand on the issues are nearly identical.I have never until now wanted to chant Hillary! She has flaws and so does he , but you need to think about what this country needs in terms of policy and once again Barack and Hillary are nearly identical! If you all showed up in '04 to support John Kerry we wouldn't be going through this, So don't be stupid and throw away another 4 years to republican rule.

June 9, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  20. peter

HILLARY PLEASE I dont want you to be the VP.
    You are number 1 no number 2.

June 9, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  21. Jane Mote

Gone to the McCain camp....See ya!

June 9, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  22. Don't be a Victim!

Beware the Republican Smear Machine . . .it is seeking to foster divisiveness amongst us dems as we speak! Free this country from the right's failed policies!! Obama-Clinton 08!

P.S.

As an aside look at the amount of the alleged Hillary supporters on this thread who refer to the media as the "liberal media." Hillary supporters may be mad at the media, but a true Hillary supporter would NEVER use that term. The GOP is among us. Please beware!

June 9, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  23. Jonah from NJ

Mr. Blitzer,
    I find it entertaining that Hillary's supporters (especially the women) would endorse the candidate that would overturn Roe vs Wade. Hey in America anything is possible!

June 9, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  24. karen

DNC Forced Hillary to Support OBAMA

June 9, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  25. Kevin

Why can Hillary treat Obama like dirt and get away with it?

June 9, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |