June 9th, 2008

CNN projects: Who's ahead in the fight for the Electoral College?

ALT TEXT

CNN will be projecting Electoral College results through Election Day. Battleground states are yellow, safe McCain states are dark red, leaning McCain states are light red, safe Obama states are dark blue, and leaning Obama states are light blue. Photo credit: CNN.

WATCH John King lay out the state of the Electoral College map.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Today, CNN unveils the first of many CNN Electoral Maps of the 2008 general election. It is based on analysis from the CNN Political Unit and takes into account a number of factors, including polling, state voting trends, ad spending, candidate visits, and guidance from the campaigns and political strategists. The list will be updated regularly as the campaign develops over time.

======

OBAMA STATES TOTAL 190 electoral votes in 15 states
Lean Obama states total: 37 electoral votes in 4 states
Maine 4
New Jersey 15
Oregon 7
Washington 11
Safe Obama states total: 153 electoral votes in 11 states (and D.C.)
California 55
Connecticut 7
D.C. 3
Delaware 3
Hawaii 4
Illinois 21
Maryland 10
Massachusetts 12
New York 31
Rhode Island 4
Vermont 3

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Doris,Memphis,TN

On November 5, 2008 CNN will project Barack Obama the next President of the United States! That's the projection that will matter.

June 9, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  2. Thomas

Put these to Safe:

Oregon lean D 7
    Washington lean D 11

Montana lean R 3
    New Mexico lean R 5

In Lean:
    Florida tossup 27 (R)

Hillary Write in or McCain 08'

June 9, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  3. mya

The electoral college map makes me so nervous! I'm going to pray and fast and work really hard for the next 6 months, for my candidate and if we lose, i will pick myself up and move on. There, that's my strategy!!!!

June 9, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  4. Willy

Mccain going to win easy over Mr. Change

June 9, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  5. Dan , TX

A wee bit early for this, don't you think?

June 9, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  6. R.I.F.

No ticker about Obama opening up a 6 point lead on McCain in the Gallup Poll?

June 9, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  7. Mike

PLEASE let the math be in McCains favor.

If Obama leads, by the time a scandal comes to surface about either he or racist Michelle, his bid for the White House will be over.

Go McCain!!!!

Math = McCain
    Spelling = N.O.B.A.M.A.

June 9, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  8. Mike

Hillary

June 9, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  9. Mike

Obama makes me want to puke!

Go McCain!!!!!!!!!!

June 9, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  10. WILLIAM

Obama was not elected he was selected. they give him the uncommitted votes so i will give McCain my full vote not 1/2 vote

June 9, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  11. Juan in Colorado

realclearpolitics.com / electoral-vote.com

Obama leads in both, though I trust realclearpolitics.com more than electoral-vote.com. Let's see how this shapes up after the debates begin!

June 9, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  12. Brian

wow 24 states like paying $4 for gas

June 9, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  13. A Clear Thinking Indepedent Voter - Ohio

We won't know until Novermber 4th ... back off CNN

June 9, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  14. Les-Wa

From the jaws of VICTORY to DEFEAT = DEMOCRATIC PARTY IN NOVEMBER!

Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Virgnia, West Virgnia will go to McCain.

Start digging DNC for electoral college vote!

June 9, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  15. David Goldman for OBAMA

OH NO!! JOHN YOU ARE AT THE MAP AGAIN.

June 9, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  16. David, Dumfries, VA

Are you reporting news, or making it up as you go?

Mccain is not leading in Lousiana,Georgia or North Carolina.

You have the ability to ruin this countries Presidential nomination, by reporting false information and/or favoring a particular candidate. Why would you want to do that? That is truly un-American.

June 9, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  17. Sark

Good grief.. can we at least wait until the conventions are over and we have "official" candidates before we start with all the "possible" outcomes?

June 9, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  18. Ian

Looks good. If you give Obama all his leaning states and McCain all his leaning states and ration out the battlegrounds according to current polls, Obama wins 284-254.

June 9, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  19. John Smith

If I were Obama, I will tell these "uneducated" and "bitter" Hillary supporters where to go and hide until this election is over. If they think they are doing Obama a favor, that says a lot about the "mind-set" of these folks!

This is NOT about Obama or even the DEM party; it is about the direction that this NATION needs to take! I do not care, as long the individual has the "guts" to bring about "change" in Washington, I will give my vote to that person– Green, Yellow, Black, young or old! This is simple common sense.

Hillary had all the resources, and she blew them all! She ran a horrible campaign, and there is no doubt that she would have ran the U.S. in a horrible manner if she had been the nominee!

No one has made a case yet that Hillary would have done better than she did here! She planned for this process for years, and has only herself to blame. I did support her, but could not hang on to this level of "failure." There is nothing here to be proud about; she disappointed me!

June 9, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  20. Dan, NJ

I have seen this done more thoroughly and with better explinations in a number of other places. I couldn't be more disappointed with CNN's coverage during this election cycle.

June 9, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  21. Brian

I can no longer support John McCain. I CANNOT vote for the same person now pandering for Clinton's votes. Talk about a flip flop. I will now be voting Libertarian.

Thank you and good riddance to the GOP

June 9, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  22. Ralph

More endless polls, until Obama wins again.

June 9, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  23. Renatti in Ohio

John McCain will be the next president of the United States of America. There is no way BHO can beat McCain in battleground states like Florida, Ohio, Missouri, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, and perhaps Michigan. Therefore, that gives the presidency to McCain. By the way, I just changed my party affiliation and I am voting for McCain in November. The media, the DNC, and the Obama campaing did not fully respect Senator Hillary Clinton. When November comes, I am sure the Obama campaing will be begging for 18 million votes that went for Hillary! Bye democratic party, in 2012 pick the most capable candidate to win in November!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 9, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  24. scott

I think Obama NEEDS TO TELL US WHO HIS VP WILL BE.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know he isnt suppose to tell us until the convention but the super delagates were not suppose to give there vote until then also. so HE NEEDS TO TELL US WHO HIS VP WILL BE......

June 9, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  25. Brian M.

In what universe is New Mexico not a razor thin battleground state? Is it because CNN thinks that New Mexicans have a kinship with McCain since he's from Arizona? Wrong...

June 9, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |