June 9th, 2008

Democratic Party: Obama can win Virginia

Both the Obama and McCain campaigns see Virginia as a battleground.

Both the Obama and McCain campaigns see Virginia as a battleground.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Democratic National Committee e-mailed a memo to national reporters Monday outlining why the state of Virginia and its 13 electoral votes could fall into Democratic hands in November, a sign that both the party and the campaign of Barack Obama genuinely believe they can turn the state blue for the first time since 1964.

The memo, written by the Democratic Party of Virginia, comes on the same day John McCain holds a series of fundraisers in central and northern Virginia, and a week after Obama chose the state to kick off his general election campaign.

"John McCain travels to northern Virginia today, a region of the state where the population growth and shift in voting trends have changed the landscape statewide in favor of Democrats in recent years, putting the Commonwealth into play for the presidential election," the memo argues.

"The nation's eyes will be on Virginia this election season as the Commonwealth sits poised to support a Democrat for President for the first time in 44 years," it reads.

The note suggests that Obama will rely heavily on riding the coattails of three of Virginia’s popular Democratic leaders: Gov. Tim Kaine, Sen. Jim Webb and senate candidate Mark Warner, the former governor.

Citing "the Mark Warner effect" - Warner will be on the same ballot as Obama this fall - the memo asserts that Obama can win the state in the same way Warner won the governorship in 2001: by running up margins in "vote-rich, Democratic leaning northern Virginia" while also employing a "successful rural strategy." Warner ran that campaign as a business-minded moderate willing to work across party lines.

Virginia Democrats are confident that the national political climate is much more favorable to their party in 2008, a trend that could morph traditionally Republican counties in the central part of the state into new electoral battlegrounds.

The memo argues that McCain has serious deficiencies among Virginia evangelicals, a constituency he lost to Mike Huckabee in the state’s Feb. 12 primary. Independents also chose Obama over McCain in the primary.

UPDATE: Alex Conant, a spokesman for the Republican National Committee, responded to the memo and said Obama is out of touch with Virginia voters.

"Virginians are not going to vote for a candidate who wants to raise their taxes and negotiate without preconditions with America’s enemies," Conant said. "The more voters learn about Barack Obama’s poor judgment on everything from guns to taxes, the more clearly he is wrong for Virginia."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • Virginia
  1. Lisa in GA.

I cannot believe what I am reading on these blogs.. I refuse to let hate consume me... I want a better future, I am a woman and I want to keep my rights.. as a woman.. if I had a choice between a person who has gotten caught... swindling all of America...Keating5 " McCain..someone who can barely remember what he said on a day to day basis.. and someone we know lobby harder than anyone else in world... my choice is very clear... I just hope and pray that every one else wake up before its too late....

If you take a look, a close and hard look .. even McCain's smile is fake....so how can he be real with us as Americans.......

June 9, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  2. H Martin

Sorry to post here but other was closed.

Dear Clinton Supporter, "ON OTHER BLOG"

I do not have a lot of money, but I donated to Obama. Your reasoning does not make sense. Not all Obama supporters have money to throw around on a whim. I work VERY hard for my money. Being a single mother of three who doesn't get the support from her ex makes it that way.
    I need my job and do not want it shipped overseas. Most of all I need my children here not going off fighting a war that we should not be involved in. Please understand that all you people who are saying vote for mccain and then hillary in 12. I would have a hard time voting for hillary if my child comes home in a body bag because someone was upset that their favortie person did not win and voted for an insane person to take office over someone who was similar to my candidate.

June 9, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  3. Raymond Duke

I wouldn't count my chickens before the eggs hatch. Virginia usually goes repiblican. Of course this is normal rehortic for the Obama camp. They think they can win texas also. I guess he thinks that all the hispanic vote that went for hillary clinton will go for him. The hispanics or not stupid. They see how him and his church feels about america and the white population so they would know they would be on his list. He also claims he can win Utah, North Carolina, ,wyomming, monatanna , idaho, nevead and missouri. I believe in the tooth fairy also.

June 9, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  4. What if?

We got your back Obama...

I hope the voters who can't afford gas, health care, lose love ones in this war and high food cost, find you so they can tell you what a dummy you are......................A little something to THINK about.....
    When you say you are going to teach the DNC party or Obama a lesson, he still will be a Senator, lawyer and more? After November they all (including Hillary) will still be able to AFFORD gas, make ENOUGH MONEY to survive any type of economy woes, outstanding health insurance, Jobs, MILLIONS of dollars in their accounts. The only person who learn a lesson is us, because you are a selfish person.

June 9, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  5. What if?

To Mark Cross Junction VA June 9th, 2008 2:13 pm ET
    I DON'T THINK SO!!!!! Some liberal that can't control a gang infested neighborhood in Chicago and he wants to be able to control Iran? What a laugh, name one accomplishment this man has done other than graduate from a manner or elegant speaking mailorder seminar.
    -----------------------------
    It's voters like you that make a person ashamed that you ever consideted yourself a democrat. You question what he's can't control, but it appears you are the one that can't control your prejudice and selfish rage.

June 9, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  6. Daniel, VA

Not a chance. We will not allow Obama to with our state. We are all united. Jim Webb has done enough damage here. We do not want democrats ion our state. Go away including you, Mr. Obama.

June 9, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  7. OK, OK, Stop Bring it on. Please Iraq stop...

McLame will re-invade Vietnam to finish the job, so we will need to reinstate the draft...

June 9, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  8. I used to be a Democrat

Just say no to Dick Chaney's cousin Barrack Obama.

No more Chaney's in the White House!!!

June 9, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  9. Karen in Fla

ROFLMAO – He did NOT run a clean race! Race being the operative word.... His camp and his supporters made sure that ANYONE who voiced ANY opinion against him were quickly labeled RACIST. THAT is NOT a CLEAN campaign.

You people have totally forgotten all Hillary and Bill Clinton did for race relations and while back in January I might have been willing to vote for him, that is a faint chance now thanks to his attitude, his affiliations, his wife (BTW – I've read half of her Thesis and it is sad. Even if the topic and results so far were not utterly contrived she clearly did not understand the concept of spelling) etc etc etc.

June 9, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  10. Americans for america

Democrats Beware!

Republicans have launched a blogosphere campaign where they claim to be Democrats who will vote for Senator McCain since Senator Clinton is not the democratic nominee!

Do not be fooled!

This is nothing more than republican tricknology, Karl Rovian VODOO; Of course all real democrats would NEVER vote for George W. Bush’s third term, ENDLESS war, overturning of Roe V. Wade, or more record profits and tax breaks for oil companies while the average American spending power continues to thin.

Be Brave Democrats and be watchful!

With a majority Democratic legislature and a Democratic President we can see real change not gridlock! Wake up Dems do not be fooled.

June 9, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  11. Belle

Well-good luck with that!!

June 9, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  12. B Jiggy

Obama had more people vote for him in GA, than McCain and Huckabee put together. He had more in Iowa than, McCain, Romney, Huckabee, and the two other republican candidates. We'll be ok with out the cry babies. Pleas believe it 🙂

And like Hillary said on saturday...Yes We Can!!!

Go Obama!

June 9, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  13. Ralph

Obama can win most every state in Nov. McCain has no chance of winning – none.

June 9, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  14. Dr. Joseph Akomodi

I am optimistic that Barack Obama will win the Virginia in November. Look at what 8 years of Bush. It has brought us sadness, trickkle down economy, inflation, regression and so forth. Who in their right mind will elect John McCain who is as sturbon as George W. Bush. United States will be heading for self distruction if we are to elect McCain which is clearly Bush third time in Office.

June 9, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  15. Chula

The DNC is fooling themselves if they think Viriginia is going to forget about Barack and Michlles view of America

Bitter, gun toting, Typical white person, faithless, etc.

Virginia is going to say NO to Obama

June 9, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  16. Dr. Joseph Akomodi

I am optimistic that Barack Obama will win the Virginia in November. Look at what 8 years of Bush did to us. It has brought us sadness, trickkle down economy, inflation, regression and so forth. Who in their right mind will elect John McCain who is as sturbon as George W. Bush. United States will be heading for self distruction if we are to elect McCain which is clearly Bush third time in Office.

June 9, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  17. Larry Oregon

McCain who?

June 9, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  18. VA voter

Oh yes, Obama will take VA. I'm in southern part near Bristol and it's Obama EVERYWHERE. I have yet to see ONE single thing with McSame's name on it. NOT ONE. My uncle is an army veteran, VA patient, 68 years old and white. He's (as well as the rest of our ENTIRE family) are behind Barack. McSame's main concern is McSame and his cheating wife. You guys really want a theif, pill-popping first lady?? Makes the lovely Michelle look like Mother Teresa. And that's a fact, jack!

June 9, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |