June 9th, 2008

Laura Bush applauds Clinton, has advice for Michelle Obama

Laura Bush addresses the press at the Presidential Palace in Kabul Sunday.
Laura Bush addresses the press at the Presidential Palace in Kabul Sunday.

(CNN) – First Lady Laura Bush said Monday that as a veteran of the rigors of the campaign trail herself, she "admired Hillary's grit and strength."

"I know what it’s like to run those campaigns, to be the candidate and how very difficult it is both emotionally and physically,” Bush told ABC News. “It's a huge endurance, process of endurance, and so I'll have to say I have a lot of admiration for her endurance and strength."

"I know it's hard," Mrs. Bush said, "It's hard to do that and I think she did great."

Bush also defended Michelle Obama over a controversial comment that drew criticism from many conservative pundits – but offered caution for the wife of presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama.

Earlier this year, Michelle Obama told the crowd at a primary season campaign event that "for the first time in my adult life, I'm proud of my country." (WATCH what Michelle Obama said)

Later, she said her remarks had been misinterpreted, and that she had been referring to how proud she was that Americans were engaging in the political process as never before. (WATCH: Michelle Obama responds to her misinterpreted remarks.)

"I think she probably meant 'I'm more proud,'" said Laura Bush Monday, adding that "you have to be very careful in what you say" when you’re campaigning.

"That's one of the things you learn and that's one of the really difficult parts both of running for president, and for being the spouse of the president, and that is everything you say is looked and in many cases misconstrued."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Laura Bush • Michelle Obama
  1. Nto in TX

Hey guys – ease up – none of you are perfect, just look at all the hateful comments on this! Irratic emptions will not run the country – I applaud Mrs Bush for being so well mannered and allowing people to be people. Thanks Laura Bush! Now lets unite and have the country turn into the great country it is supposed to be.

June 9, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  2. less media more issues

I guess she doesn't expect Mrs. McCain to be living in the White House.....

June 9, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  3. Hillary Supporter!!

To: Mike D

No, when Obama loses the election it will be because of people like you who supported an inexperienced candidate. Some of has have never supported him from the beginning. If he's such a great candidate and uniter let him do it now that Hillary is out of the way. Let all the Blacks and young hip people save him. Why does he need Hillary's supporters now? He didn't before. My vote is too important to be taken for granted. I don't like for anyone to "expect" me do something simply because everyone tells me to do it. As someone said..."they want us to sit down and shut up but be sure to vote Democratic in November." You will have no one to blame but yourselves for getting caught up in a movement. I hope you and all the others will remember your nastiness you, politicians, pundits, media expressed over and over again because I will. No one stood up and voiced their disgust, but Hillary's campaign. NO ONE took a stand against the derogatory comments made so many times. It's like it was us against the world. And all of you gave every indication that it was okay to treat another human being like she, Chelsea and even Bill were treated. I will not vote for JM but I will also will not support my party this time. Because by doing so is supporting Obama and his entire campaign and nasty supporters. I have more respect for myself than that and I do not support anyone who has been a part of mistreating another human being.

CNN don't ignore me by not printing my comment!!

June 9, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  4. RJ

i gained respect for Hillary after her concession speech but can't seem to do the same for her supporters. i still don't get it...if you lose, you lose. I don't get what you're trying to tell these young girls–that if you lose, you have to whine and cry and be spiteful??? i think that's entirely the wrong message. and it doesn't have anything to do with FL or MI since she still would not have won even if they did go against what she agreed to before the primaries began.

June 9, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  5. another thinking voter

Her language skills are no better than her husband's. Good bye.

June 9, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  6. Joe Regis

I have it on good authority that

Laura Bush is also a closet Obama.

Like her daughter.

June 9, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  7. Cant we all just get along???

At first I was a HRC fan. I mean come on, she's a Clinton and she rocks hardcore....She had me at HELLO! Then I learned more about Obama and am now an ardent supporter. However, even if HRC won, I would still support her 100%. I am a Democrat. I would never vote for McCain.. To all of those HRC Dems who are going to vote for McCain...Stop being blinded by your "if we cant win, no one will" attitude. For the good of the country, VOTE OBAMA!

June 9, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  8. Former Hilary supporter

Obama voters: It is none of your business if Hilary supporters decide to vote for McCain. You obviously have a reason for voting for Obama and these people do not share your reasons and have every right to vote for whom ever they choose. I for one will not vote for Obama either, and guess what? That's my choice and what makes america the land of the free. DOWN with OBAMA, up with McCain.

June 9, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  9. Kathryn Irby - Metairie, LA

Gee! That's was "mighty white" of her!

June 9, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  10. Yak

lets give just mccain his 4 year run just so we can get rid of obama. a failed candidate.

June 9, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  11. Jen

How different is Laura Bush is compared with power hungry animal Hillary Clinton, so gracious.

June 9, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  12. Jack

What a Woman. The Best of George Bush, Laura...........

June 9, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  13. Pat D

Laura Bush is a very gracious lady on her own merit. Don.t judge her by anyone else. Hillary Clinton is a fine person as well and will continue to work tirelessly for all Americans. God bless them both.

June 9, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  14. Jeff

Wow! I already commented, but now reading all of these comments, its obvious a lot of people feel the same way. We really missed out on what could have been a really great First Lady during this administration.

The other comments are from a few right-wing interlopers posing as Hillary Clinton supporters who are going to vote McCain. We all know they're not *real* Clinton Supporters, because no Democrat in their right mind would vote for John McCain.

June 9, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  15. Liar, Liar pants on fire

Why do some people think they always have to tell other people what to do. The media will always misconstrue what everyone says. Laura has avoided this by not saying anything...which is good, that way she can't be misconstrued.

That's just not Michelle's personality. She has something to say and will deal with the media.

June 9, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  16. Michelle

Let's face it. Obama won fair and square. It's a shame to see people who can't accept defeat. You all are a bunch of cry baby sore losers! I can't believe adults act this way. Obama has treated Hillary with nothing but respect. You all seem to totally forget all the comments Hillary and her husband made towards Obama. And for you all to say he's inexperience and blah, blah, blah, well, NONE of these presidents had experience before they ran for President, didn't they? NO ONE knew who they were before they ran either.

If Hillary wasn't married to Bill, NONE of you would have known who she was. Everybody slamming Obama because you say he's not QUALIFIED, well if you look at it, NONE of these presidents were qualified to run either. Hillary is not qualified either because she's running on her husband's legacy. She DOES NOT have that much more experience than Obama. Sure she worked to shape healthcare and all that, but that does not amount to EXPERIENCE.

If you people would look at her record closely (first lady years do not count) against Obama's, she DOES NOT have that much more experience than he has. You people "selectively" ignore the facts and say she's qualified because she's Bill's wife....pathetic.

June 9, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  17. Peg Robson

I love Hillary but can't vote for Obama. I don't think he has experience to run this country and furthermore Michelle Obama has me really turned off. I don't think Obama can beat McCain. The only way I would vote for Obama is if Hillary is the VP. That's It for me.

June 9, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  18. sarah

why do the obama zealots feel everyone else is obligated to start worshipping their messiah, now that he is the appointed nominee? im an independent who plans to vote for mccain but im curious about this strange phenomenon. I have watched the obama people belittle the clinton voters as ignorant, racist, uneducated, and just plain stupid and i cannot for the world figure out why the arrogant, hateful, and obnoxious obama fans believe the clinton people would ever want to vote for a man who encourages this kind of slander and vicious insults.

June 9, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  19. GO-Bama - OH

Wow...she should maybe run for president. That was a very good bi-partisan analysis. Very well put Mrs. Bush. I don't think anyone can criticize her for that and if you do then maybe you need to take a step back and take a look at yourself.

You goooo...girl!

June 9, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  20. MD

Laura Bush would have been a great president, unlike her husband. How she can stand George is beyond comprehension.

June 9, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  21. David

Educate yourself people. If you voted for Hillary then you should vote for Obama. Their voting records are nearly identical.Otherwise you're not voting based on issues but you're voting based on personality. Bush was elected based on personality. A vote for McCain is a vote for more war. THINK and stop using your emotions.

June 9, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  22. Bob in FL

One step forward and two steps back.

This one is going out to the women who are buying the republican strategy of divide and conquer.

Hillary running for president was a huge step for equal rights, the overturn of Roe VS. Wade will be two steps back.

Really think about what you're willing to do because you have issues with a Black man being president.

June 9, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  23. Tee

I really am saddened that some of the democrats that supported Hillary will vote for McCain. Its sad that they would rather watch the economy get worse, gas go through the roof and my comrades die in Iraq. And its just because lets just tell the truth. Obama is a black man. That can only be the reason because Hillary Cllinton and Obama were rather close on how they wanted to lead the country. I wish we would just be honest. The world is not ready for an African American president.

June 9, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  24. Herman in LA

Laura Bush, I have one advice for you impeach your husband for killing 4000+ American soldiers and 100,000 Iraq people and putting this country into over 1 trillion dollars worth of dept.

Where have you been Laura for the last 8 years you people get me sick when you only come out during an election year to speak your minds?

I can’t wait the Bush’s and Cheney’s are gone.

CNN post this....

June 9, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  25. Helen

I am not a Republican, but I have to say I have a lot of respect for Laura Bush. She is a great lady.

June 9, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |