June 9th, 2008

Laura Bush applauds Clinton, has advice for Michelle Obama

Laura Bush addresses the press at the Presidential Palace in Kabul Sunday.
Laura Bush addresses the press at the Presidential Palace in Kabul Sunday.

(CNN) – First Lady Laura Bush said Monday that as a veteran of the rigors of the campaign trail herself, she "admired Hillary's grit and strength."

"I know what it’s like to run those campaigns, to be the candidate and how very difficult it is both emotionally and physically,” Bush told ABC News. “It's a huge endurance, process of endurance, and so I'll have to say I have a lot of admiration for her endurance and strength."

"I know it's hard," Mrs. Bush said, "It's hard to do that and I think she did great."

Bush also defended Michelle Obama over a controversial comment that drew criticism from many conservative pundits – but offered caution for the wife of presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama.

Earlier this year, Michelle Obama told the crowd at a primary season campaign event that "for the first time in my adult life, I'm proud of my country." (WATCH what Michelle Obama said)

Later, she said her remarks had been misinterpreted, and that she had been referring to how proud she was that Americans were engaging in the political process as never before. (WATCH: Michelle Obama responds to her misinterpreted remarks.)

"I think she probably meant 'I'm more proud,'" said Laura Bush Monday, adding that "you have to be very careful in what you say" when you’re campaigning.

"That's one of the things you learn and that's one of the really difficult parts both of running for president, and for being the spouse of the president, and that is everything you say is looked and in many cases misconstrued."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Laura Bush • Michelle Obama
  1. No More Clintons, CA

Obama will need SOME of Clinton's supporters in general election, but, not ALL!

The Clinton DEMAGOGUE haver done a great job to stir up a group of Ferraro-like angry and bitter supporters, if they keep their minds closed, there is no need to waste time on them!

There will always be groups like Ferraro and fanatical evangelicals, they will never be happy unless it is their own way and only if they can figure out what they are really angry and bitter about their own lives!

The Clintons have been the MOST POLORIZING figures in recent history. They cannot be trusted.

No VP to the Clintons! We do not need to have 3-Cheney-like Clintons in Obama administrations.

No more Clintons' drama and divisiveness!

June 9, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  2. A Dem in November

Sharon Snider: "Laura Bush: You have not been where Hillary has been. Michelle Obama you can advise, but Hillary is out of your league. You are the wife of the president, remember?"

Umm, so was Hillary as I recall. It was her husband Bill who was the President, remember?

June 9, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  3. shishi

i reall dont understand why this question is asked that if you are a supporter of HC you won t vote for BO ??
    if you are true democrats you have to do so if you are not go to MCain!!

June 9, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  4. Lewis

Thank God for positive people in the Country...The United States have always had strong and vibrant First Ladies. Many of the social changes have come about by conciencious wifes of the President. We as a nation must continue to learn from our past misstakes in order to move forward into a better America, or we can continue to harbor on racism and hatred towards other Americans who have served and protected the great nation. Bravo for Mrs. Bush and many God continue to bless you and your family.

Sincerely,

Another True American

June 9, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  5. patrick

Its funny all these so called Hilary supporters, which in reality are republicans from the get go! and to ALL AA and latinos, if you think things suck now, you dont even want to know what it will be like if Mccain gets in office. that also goes for the rural,white america.

June 9, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  6. Michelle

To all you Hillary supporters.

A vote for McCain is like a slap in the face to Hillary. Think about it.

June 9, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  7. Dan

The only thing Laura Bush should be telling Michelle Obama is how comfortable the furniture is in the oval offcie.

June 9, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  8. CB

OMG – an actual non-partisan, generous comment!!!!

Thank you Mrs. Bush. I'm truly impressed with you now.

June 9, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  9. Florida Voter

Mrs. Bush, thank you for your kind words toward Mrs. Clinton. This Florida Voter has become an Independent and will vote fof McCain in November. For the first time in my adult life I'm ashamed of the Democratic Party.

June 9, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  10. Make Love Not War

anti-Obama bloggers = republicans posing as democrats

DEMOCRATS UNITED IN 2008!!!!

OBAMA 2008/2012

LOVE ALWAYS

June 9, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  11. Shannon

Bitter HRC supporters? How about blind BHO supporters? They respond to ridiculously vague concepts like, "CHANGE" and vote based on skin color not the issues. I am white but would happily support a good AA candidate or good woman candidate, Hispanic, Asian, etc. I don't care what race, sex, so, etc they happen to be. I am only concerned with choosing the best person for the job. Not the person who looks the most like me or makes me feel better about myself. In this case BHO and JM are both terrible so I just have to decide which one will do less damage over the next four years. Either way, neither one of them will make it to a 2nd term.

June 9, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  12. A Dem in November

Oh, I know you won't post this CNN- as you never post what I write. But Rush's plan is still going strong. Check a few of his supporters and the emails they are getting.

Right now he's calling for people to pose as disgruntled Hillary supporters continuously attacking Baracks "experience".

If you want a copy, I'll send it to you!

June 9, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  13. Randle McMurphy

She is certainly talking more than she used to. Maybe they changed her meds.

June 9, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  14. GO HILLARY

I'M VOTING FOR MCCAIN BCUZ DUH MEDIAZ SAY BAD TINGZZZ ABOOT HILLARY AND I WANTZ A HUNDRD YEARZ OF WARZ THERELL BE LESS MEN IN THE WORLD I DON'T CARE THAT MCCAIN OPPOSES MY RIGHT TO PRIVACY GET OVER IT OBAMA VOTERZ

DOWN WITH MEN UP WITH HILLARY
    DOWN WITH MEN UP WITH HILLARY
    DOWN WITH MEN UP WITH HILLARY
    DOWN WITH MEN UP WITH HILLARY
    DOWN WITH MEN UP WITH HILLARY
    DOWN WITH MEN UP WITH HILLARY
    DOWN WITH MEN UP WITH HILLARY
    DOWN WITH MEN UP WITH HILLARY
    DOWN WITH MEN UP WITH HILLARY
    DOWN WITH MEN UP WITH HILLARY

June 9, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  15. Mike

Obama being the nominee has made me unproud now.

June 9, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  16. vINCe

I am getting a kick out of all these former Hillary supporters that say they will vote for McCain now.....GO AHEAD...I'M GOING TO WATCH HIM APPOINT CONSERVATIVE JUDGES AND FLUSH WOMEN'S RIGHTS DOWN THE DRAIN.....MCCAIN IS GOING TO EXPLOIT THE IDIOCY AND IGNORANCE OF THE PEOPLE THAT SUPPORT HILLARY CLINTON AND UNDO EVERYTHING HILLARY AND ALL THE WOMEN BEFORE HER STOOD FOR...MORONS!

I know CNN doesn't have the guts to post this one!

June 9, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  17. The US abolishes century old clinton dynasty

thank you ..she is nice..

may be she should run for president, that will give her how many years of experience..

June 9, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  18. Tonya, Richmond, VA

Rabid Shrillary Fan, you are very ignorant and I had to laugh at the fact that a STRONG & INTELLIGENT BLACK MAN puts fear in your heart. Then again I'm not even surprised. The way you feel is probably how most WHITE AMERICANS feel.

GET OVER IT!

Some of you just can't get past race and it's truly sad AFTER ALL THESE YEARS!

June 9, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  19. Pete

Laura Bush doesn't know what she is talking about. People is making Hillary bigger than life...when Hillary has done nothing...just insulting the American people with her lies and destroying other people characters when they were on her way.
    Before Hillary there were other women that were Presidential Candidates ( in the Democrat and Republican Primaries) and lost like her...So Hillary is not doing any ground breaking. Maybe once again Hillary ( and her supporters) wants to re-write history for her own benefit....That Hillary is a piece of work!

June 9, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  20. Sam

The ladies on this site worry me. As a lady myself I can't see how you can vote for McCain. This is not what Hillary stood for and this shows the men around the nation that we make decisions based on gender and emotions and not facts or policy. I'll support Obama! We have to show strength and unity beyond our wants.

June 9, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  21. Tim, MN

FINALLY!

June 9, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  22. NO Bush/McCain 08

Jen, draft will happen if Hillary Supporters vote for McSame as Bush!

Army Wife, I feel you, disregard Jen she has probably not service this country.

Army Vet Girl for OBama

June 9, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  23. Cammi317

She should have run instead of dubya.

June 9, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  24. Liar, Liar pants on fire

To Hillary Supporter:

Talk about supporting an "inexperienced" candidate. What has experience got us? The more mature supporters don't have to accept the fact that it is time for the young supporters and candidates to move ahead, it's just so. Remember, it's a part of the cycle of life? I am older and welcome the less experienced. At one time, the more experienced were less experienced. We need new ideas and new ways of doing things. The same old has gotten our butts kicked. But most mature supporters haven't been affected by the economy. They simply sit on their butts saying, "he's inexperienced" while their grandchildren have no future. Selfishness is not a good quality. Support those that come after you. You will not live forever!

The ideas of the "so called, less experienced" is fresh and believe it or not, they often work. Microsoft, Yahoo! and Facebook were not born from a "more mature and experienced" leaders. Oh, I'm sorry...the more mature and experienced probably aren't familiar with these companies.

June 9, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  25. Les from Springfield, VA

I have always admired The First Lady, Mrs. Bush. A truly honorable and caring human being.

June 9, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |