June 9th, 2008

Laura Bush applauds Clinton, has advice for Michelle Obama

Laura Bush addresses the press at the Presidential Palace in Kabul Sunday.
Laura Bush addresses the press at the Presidential Palace in Kabul Sunday.

(CNN) – First Lady Laura Bush said Monday that as a veteran of the rigors of the campaign trail herself, she "admired Hillary's grit and strength."

"I know what it’s like to run those campaigns, to be the candidate and how very difficult it is both emotionally and physically,” Bush told ABC News. “It's a huge endurance, process of endurance, and so I'll have to say I have a lot of admiration for her endurance and strength."

"I know it's hard," Mrs. Bush said, "It's hard to do that and I think she did great."

Bush also defended Michelle Obama over a controversial comment that drew criticism from many conservative pundits – but offered caution for the wife of presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama.

Earlier this year, Michelle Obama told the crowd at a primary season campaign event that "for the first time in my adult life, I'm proud of my country." (WATCH what Michelle Obama said)

Later, she said her remarks had been misinterpreted, and that she had been referring to how proud she was that Americans were engaging in the political process as never before. (WATCH: Michelle Obama responds to her misinterpreted remarks.)

"I think she probably meant 'I'm more proud,'" said Laura Bush Monday, adding that "you have to be very careful in what you say" when you’re campaigning.

"That's one of the things you learn and that's one of the really difficult parts both of running for president, and for being the spouse of the president, and that is everything you say is looked and in many cases misconstrued."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Laura Bush • Michelle Obama
  1. Me

She actually seems like a good person, why on earth is she married to George?

June 9, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  2. Michael

We do not need advice from you. What were doing Mrs Bush when your husband ran this country into the ground? I see Rove called you and told you to still try divide our party. Its not going to work this time, you lose.

June 9, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  3. HSNP

Here's some advice for Mrs. Obama. Don't sell the house in Chicago. You'll probably still be living there after November.

I'm formerly for Clinton, now for McCain '08

June 9, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  4. Pol

CNN, how long are you going to chew this snivel "for the first time..."?FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY ADULT LIFE gasoline will be $5 soon, however you together with Ms. Bush (who doesn't care) are continuing "for the first time", "proud..", "more proud"... Stop it, we are already fooled. Thank you.

June 9, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  5. David in Oregon

Mrs. Bush sounds alot smarter than Mr. Bush... Why didn't we elect *her* for president?

June 9, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  6. Channarith Hing

Very good!

June 9, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  7. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

Please Post:

How can you be a good Christian and vote for the GOP and McCain?

!. They do not care about there fellow man, they are not my brothers keeper.

2.They do not care about the environment, for example big oil companies say that global warming is not real. They are not Stuarts of the environment.

3. War is always there 1st option instead of trying to get along with other countries and trying to talk to them and encourage constructive dialog.

4. Greed is the must important thing to the GOP, they do not want to hear about caring for the sick and poor.

I cannot for the life of me; how any good Christen can vote for McCain and the GOP. I know the GOP are going to talk about the abortion issue. To me this issue is not for the government or for constitutional changes. This issue is for the educational system, churches and parents. That’s were you can put an end to the abortion problem not by big government telling you what to do with your body.

June 9, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  8. I AGREE with THIS

Good thing this was a fair primary.

Good thing that no one ganged up to throttle and trash HRC.

Good thing I never saw Richardson TRASH both Clintons on national tv in the most hateful of ways, while preaching against negativism.

Good thing we had DEAN and Pelosi at the helm.

Good Thing Michelle Obama never said that she would not vote for HRC if Hillary was the party nominee.

Good thing millions did not witness the media rape of the BEST candidate just to punish the Clintons.

Now we will all UNITE.

June 9, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  9. Amit NYC

I wish Laura was elected President instead of GWB :-(. I applaud you Laura, your husband not so much.

June 9, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  10. Adedokun from Atlanta

Isn't she smarter than her husband?

June 9, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  11. Franky

Well, not only misconstrued but also misrepresented. I'm sure Laura Bush understands that as well...

June 9, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  12. kenny cole

So laura are you endorsing OBAMA

June 9, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  13. vic nashville,Tn

Easy to say get over it I think people say get over it they never try in their life

I know how hard for Hillary

DNC worked on this math
    Equation 1 They want to come out from Clinton brand
    Equation 2 They don’t want lose the black votes
    Solve these 2 equations with super delegates
    This race was decided by Super delegates

That is fine with us but we decided to whom we have to vote
    Who care the party now

June 9, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  14. Frosty

She's the only thing lovely about the Bush presidency...either Bush by the way. haha

June 9, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  15. NoMcSame

They will slander Mrs. Obama in any way they can. She is strong and will stand up to them I know. As a black woman she has had to learn how to do that from birth.
    Obama will not stand by and let McSame send our kids off to die in Iraq. No Way. Nor will he allow McSame to give us four more years of Bush economics. No Way. Are you better off today than what you were eight years ago? if yes then vote McSame, if not then Obama is your man.
    Those of you that are planning to vote for this war monger and really want to show your support for McSame JOIN THE ARMY. Many of you are no help anyway because you supported Hillary in MOUTH only but did not send her a dime to help her out. Don't hate on Obama because we supported him with our time and our MONEY. YOU LOST IT FOR HER. Our money was well spent.
    OBAMA08

June 9, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  16. Agnostic Democrat

Lady, tell your husband he needs to be more careful than anyone when he speaks ... That would be when he is capable of stringing a cohesive sentence together ... And we're atill waiting for that.

June 9, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  17. ????

CNN are you really that much of a poor excuse for mainstream media? Will you ever quote Michelle correctly! You're getting as bad as Fox news. She said, "for the first time in my adult life, I'm REALLY proud of my country." Are you people actually journalists???? How are we ever going to believe that you're quoting your sources accurately when you can't even quote Michelle Obama correctly who's video was all over the news when this came out?

June 9, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  18. Carolina girl

Hillary's strength of character came through during her long, arduous campaign. I definitely applaud her, and hope she runs again in the future. We NEED such character traits in the White House, more than ever.

June 9, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  19. Former Democrat

Baloney! Michelle Obama belonged to a racist church for 20 years, and she MEANT that she had never been proud of her country until Barack started winning votes. Michelle also wrote an ant-American thesis and has said that America is just a "mean country."

I love the way Barack is always "misunderstood" or "taken out of context" also just like his wife when they both say stupid or racist things.

June 9, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  20. Calimar

Helen in NY you have blinded me!

June 9, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  21. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

Laura Bush, sounds like she is for Obama I wonder if she told her husband that the war in Iraq was the worst thing you have ever done.

You go Laura Bush tell the GOP that they are going to lose this election.

June 9, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  22. Obama v McCain

this is probably well-wished thoughts and I'm sure that there is no hidden agenda for speaking on these topics.. yet i cannot help but cringe when i think of this woman being married to what will go down in histrory as the most HATED Prez!.. my the courage it takes to keep your head held high in the face of approval ratings like her hubby. (and she has to sleep in the same room with him) yuck

June 9, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  23. Greg, NY

What a great lady. President Bush calls her his better half.

Polls show the American people agree.

June 9, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  24. patrick

i like mrs. bush...too bad her husband is such a crook

June 9, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  25. The Prophet

Truly the end is near. In the end, the lion will lie beside the lamb. Peace will come to all Nations. When i see Pelosi and Gingrich on the same commercial. When i see McCain defending Obama. When I see Evangelicals for Obama, This is a sign that the end is near.

A man will come from the East and unite all nations. Rulers will bow before him and adore him.

Sounds familiar. Do you still doubt that Obama is the ONE.

June 9, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |