June 9th, 2008

Laura Bush applauds Clinton, has advice for Michelle Obama

Laura Bush addresses the press at the Presidential Palace in Kabul Sunday.
Laura Bush addresses the press at the Presidential Palace in Kabul Sunday.

(CNN) – First Lady Laura Bush said Monday that as a veteran of the rigors of the campaign trail herself, she "admired Hillary's grit and strength."

"I know what it’s like to run those campaigns, to be the candidate and how very difficult it is both emotionally and physically,” Bush told ABC News. “It's a huge endurance, process of endurance, and so I'll have to say I have a lot of admiration for her endurance and strength."

"I know it's hard," Mrs. Bush said, "It's hard to do that and I think she did great."

Bush also defended Michelle Obama over a controversial comment that drew criticism from many conservative pundits – but offered caution for the wife of presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama.

Earlier this year, Michelle Obama told the crowd at a primary season campaign event that "for the first time in my adult life, I'm proud of my country." (WATCH what Michelle Obama said)

Later, she said her remarks had been misinterpreted, and that she had been referring to how proud she was that Americans were engaging in the political process as never before. (WATCH: Michelle Obama responds to her misinterpreted remarks.)

"I think she probably meant 'I'm more proud,'" said Laura Bush Monday, adding that "you have to be very careful in what you say" when you’re campaigning.

"That's one of the things you learn and that's one of the really difficult parts both of running for president, and for being the spouse of the president, and that is everything you say is looked and in many cases misconstrued."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Laura Bush • Michelle Obama
  1. Okra Mouth

Hello Mrs. Bush,

Get a moving truck, and start packing out of the Whitehouse.
    You and your husband are leaving behind a HUGE debt for our children.

It's my prayer that Obama will STOP giving tax breaks to the wealthy and businesses exporting our jobs overseas and hopeful balance the federal budget like Clinton did.

If McCain wins, and continue Bush's economic policies as he has said, then we are all dead !!!

Most polls show that a majority of Republicans say this country is on the right track and our economy is just OK....is that really true?
    ..................any republican around to tell me why?

Anyway, I'm an independent planning to vote AGAINST every Republican incumbent, from president, - senator - congressman–mayor, and even city council representatives.

June 9, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  2. rumpusgoopus

After reading a number of comments to this post, I now feel like I've lost a ton of brain cells as result. It amazes me that such people think themselves to be rational people.

June 9, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  3. Kick Hillary to the Curb

well laura you are the worst first lady ever. You did absolutely nothing with your time as the first lady. You should be ashamed of yourself. You had the power to be a strong voice and did nothing. Even Tipper Gore was more involved when she was the wife of the VP.

June 9, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  4. Marlie

To Michele Obama. The question was, "Would you support Hillary Clinton, if she is the nominee?" and your response was, "I dont know, I will have to think about it." Well, guess what??? I have to think about it too and should I support your husband...Well **LL NO!! You are an idiot and I hope all of the Hillary supporters write her name on the ballot and DO NOT vote for you idiot husband.

HILLARY 2012!!!!

June 9, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  5. Indiana Voter

For everyone who is going to vote for McCain, you need to read the article regarding how he dumped his first wife after a major car accident that left her seriously debilitated. He married Cindy a month after he divorced Carol. Is that how you show respect for women? This speaks to his character which really hasn't changed much. Look at how he courted Hagee and Parsley and then dumped them and has changed his political stances to fit with whatever he thinks the American public wants to hear, particularly the right. What we do is the true test of our character so we need to focus more on what these candidates are actually doing and less on what they are saying.

June 9, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  6. Kareem Rashad From Hampton, Va

Thanks Mrs. Bush!

June 9, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  7. Andy J, NY

There were worse presidents than Bush...

Ever hear of Jimmy Carter?

June 9, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  8. McCain08

Laura, you have been a first rate first lady and i have so much respect for you for the amount of charity work you have done for this country.

Too bad some people are so blindsighted by their own ideas that i'm sure you will have every negative comment people can think of said about you here.

Keep up the good work.

June 9, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  9. Hillarysupporter

I was Hillary's supporter but I am a democrat first. Now it is time to unite and heal the party. Mrs. Bush should wait to address Cindy mccain when she will loose to michelle Obama!

June 9, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  10. Eleanor

Laura Bush is a lady, something Michelle Obama will have a hard time emulating. Hillary Clinton is a lady and a fighter. Sadly she has lost her chance because she would have made a great President. Too bad she had the media against her. Can't believe that the American people are really letting the media (and Oprah) pick their next President. This isn't a book club advisory!!!!

June 9, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  11. After further review,Texas

Its called Bush fatigue,please stop it,even she makes me want to puke.

June 9, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  12. DEB

THANK YOU LAURA, OF COURSE SHE WOULD SUPPORT HILLARY
    HILLARY/BUSH 08

June 9, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  13. James

"Clinton-McCain" supporters: Name me one major policy issue that McCain and Clinton agree on that Obama does not?

June 9, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  14. Bayousara

Thanks, Laura, for your kind words.

Now, back them up by writing in Hillary for president in November!

June 9, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  15. MM

I'm voting for Santa Claus.
    He can fix our economy.

June 9, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  16. JJ

Print this, CNN...

Less–you can knock it off, too. Painting the picture that everything is Laura's fault is ridiculous. Are you old enough to drive yet?

As for the pro choice crowd–that "they'll repeal Roe v. Wade" crap has been coming up since 1980, AND IT HASN'T HAPPENED YET! Frankly that a law enacted by activists judges (not their job) has remained intact all these years should comfort you. What would be so wrong if the 50 states could vote on it? What are you afraid of? That maybe just maybe more Americans think "choice" is synonymous with murder?

June 9, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  17. Luis

Stop blaming the Bush family. What about the Congress and Senate? Laura understands what Hillary has gone through. By the way, I now support McCain, my conscience and heart cannot support a candidate that had an affiliation with a church that was anti-American and anti-white. I am sorry Hillary! I supported you but I cannot support Obama. Patriotism is very important to me.

June 9, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  18. Clinton Supporter

To the person who thinks Mrs. Bush should be faulted because she never lived as African American:

You're going to have ditch the "I am an AA, therefore I deserve your patience and support" line. If MO becomes the First Lady, she will have to represent the United State of America, not just AAs. How very unsophisticated to pack up all your personal baggage and bring it to White House. Keep saying things like that, and you will guarantee Obama's defeat. This is exactly what makes so many people hesitate to put him in that office.

June 9, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  19. james

Hillary has the strength and grit of 100 Laura Bush's...
    Laura Bush could never have done the schedule Hillary did over tha past year.

I applaud Hillary and as a staunch supporter and as an independent I will continue to support her efforts to become president.

McCain '08 for Clinton '12.
    Obama, NEVER! Not after what I experienced and witnessed at the caucuses – WHAT A FARCE AND A JOKE TO VOTERS.

Hillary was the best choice and was tossed aside for the chosen hopeful golden boy. HILLARY SUPPORTERS WON'T FORGET WHAT REALLY HAPPENED – UNITE AND VOTE FOR HER CHANCES IN '12.

June 9, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  20. AN ARMY WIFE

TO THE CLINTON SUPPORTERS:

WOULD YOU VOTE FOR OBAMA IF HE WAS WHITE? CAUSE YOU PEOPLE SOUND BITTER AND LIKE THE ELECTION WAS TAKEN AWAY FOR HILLARY BY THE SUPER DELEGATES....

ARE YOU FORGETTING THAT HILLARY NEED THE SUPER DELEGATES TO WIN ALSO...AS SHE NEED FL & MI...WHICH HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN THAT SHE AGREED, THEY WOULD NOT COUNT...AND NOW YOU ARE UP IN ARMS ABOUT OBAMA....

PLEASE...I FOR ANY ONE WHO WILL BRING MY HUSBAND HOME TO HIS FAMILY....DO ANY OF YOU OBAMA HATERS HAVE SONS, DAUGHTERS, HUSBANDS OR ANY FAMILY IN COMBAT IN IRAQ..

WELL LET ME TELL YOU HOW IT IS WAITING EVERY MINUTE TO HEAR FROM YOUR LOVED ONES, PRAYING EVERY MINUTE THAT THEY ARE OKAY....EVERYTIME YOU HEAR OF ANY DEATHS YOU QUICKLY PAY ATTENTION TO MAKE SURE IT'S NOT ONE OF OUR FAMILY MEMBERS...EVERY TIME I HEAR FROM MY HUSBAND IS PRECIOUS....DO YOU UNDERSTAND? NO IT DOESN'T SEEMS LIKE YOU PEOPLE DO.....DO YOU HAVE TO EXPLAIN TO YOUR CHILDREN, WHEN IS DADDY COMING HOME....

OBAMA PLEASE BECOME PRESIDENT SO YOU CAN BRING MY HUSBAND AND THE REST OF THE SOLDIERS HOME....

June 9, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  21. Bill

Laura Bush and Barbara Bush,are two of the most admired ladies in the United States. Their favorability ratings have never taken a dive!!!Anyone would be wise to listen to anything these two ladies have to say. If Laura would run on an Indepenedent ticket,we have four more years of Bush for real. Laura loves America,and America loves Laura!

June 9, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  22. NO Hillary on Ticket

Rabid Shrillary Fan:

Your problems extend far beyond this blog. Sad. However, you do resemble alot if not ALL the other bitter Hillary voters. MOVE ON losers!

June 9, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  23. LIZ

This was a very great story on here!! It made me smile to read something so positive and supportive!!

thanks!!

June 9, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  24. Frances

You Michelle Obama haters are a little harsh. So what if she meant haven't always been proud to be an American. Lots of us have felt that way one time or another but that doesn't mean we're not patriotic and wouldn't stand up for our country if our country really needed us to.

Get over yourselves and stop blaming someone for saying the same thing you, yourself have not had the courage to say, at least once in your life, depending on your age. All of us gets fed up with the process from time to time and we're entitled to do just that.

Now, in Michelle's defense, I do believe she meant exactly what Mrs. Bush said.

June 9, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  25. Edgardo for HILLARY

HILLARY will forever remain a powerful political figure in our government! She is a force to reckon with! This is the reason I will abstain for this election. I want her to win in 2012!

To all Obamacans: You have to work hard to earn the 18Million of us!!!!! Read my lips: I do not believe Obama will be a good leader, he is inexperienced, arrogant & clueless.... I am signing off....

June 9, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |