June 9th, 2008

Laura Bush applauds Clinton, has advice for Michelle Obama

Laura Bush addresses the press at the Presidential Palace in Kabul Sunday.
Laura Bush addresses the press at the Presidential Palace in Kabul Sunday.

(CNN) – First Lady Laura Bush said Monday that as a veteran of the rigors of the campaign trail herself, she "admired Hillary's grit and strength."

"I know what it’s like to run those campaigns, to be the candidate and how very difficult it is both emotionally and physically,” Bush told ABC News. “It's a huge endurance, process of endurance, and so I'll have to say I have a lot of admiration for her endurance and strength."

"I know it's hard," Mrs. Bush said, "It's hard to do that and I think she did great."

Bush also defended Michelle Obama over a controversial comment that drew criticism from many conservative pundits – but offered caution for the wife of presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama.

Earlier this year, Michelle Obama told the crowd at a primary season campaign event that "for the first time in my adult life, I'm proud of my country." (WATCH what Michelle Obama said)

Later, she said her remarks had been misinterpreted, and that she had been referring to how proud she was that Americans were engaging in the political process as never before. (WATCH: Michelle Obama responds to her misinterpreted remarks.)

"I think she probably meant 'I'm more proud,'" said Laura Bush Monday, adding that "you have to be very careful in what you say" when you’re campaigning.

"That's one of the things you learn and that's one of the really difficult parts both of running for president, and for being the spouse of the president, and that is everything you say is looked and in many cases misconstrued."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Laura Bush • Michelle Obama
  1. ECHEWEOZO

your husband is a failure, why didnt you give him your sweety advice after all bad he done?

June 9, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  2. tj

Obama and his campaign misconstrued Hillary and Bill's word and made them out to be racist.

June 9, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  3. J-Dubb

The quote from Mrs. Obama was " For the first time in my adult life, I'm really proud of my country". Really makes a whole lot of difference in the quote.

June 9, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  4. Former Clinton Supporter

We could sure use a woman in office.

June 9, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  5. TESAP

YES, OFCOURSE...........

June 9, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  6. Barock

Pres. G. W. Bush might be one of the worst President in the history, however, Laura might be one of the best First Lady , at least for last 40 years and next 4 years in my mind.

No matter who elected this fall, either Michelle or Cindy could not outplay her.

June 9, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  7. Amanda

To Army Wife....

Tired of Obama supporters constanly playing the RACE card! Obam does not use the race card...why do you? No if Obama were white I would never vote for him!!! He has no experience and the DNC pulled another 2000 with their little meeting a couple weeks ago when they hi-jacked delegates from Hillary to select not elect their nominee Obama!!!

Women everywhere unite and show the DNC we will not be walked on!!!!!

Hillary 2012 – McCain 08!!!

June 9, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  8. Undisputed truth.....

Wow !!! I'm glad she knows courage when she sees it. She is really in a position to critique mistakes made over mis quotes on the campaign trail. Her husband is only the worst Presidential speaker of all time. As such, she has decided to critique others on this basis. Even though her husband has lived and spoke the contrary.

Newark, California

June 9, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  9. Mari Cruz

I think Laura Bush always carry herself with respect & grace, very first lady like, unlike, her husband, is a disgrace to have a president like him. I always thought I could relate with Democrats beliefs, so I supported Hillary Clinton, but the way she has been treated by her own party & the media, specially CNN & MSNBC, If Obama does not pick her as his running mate. I will not vote on this year's Presidential election. Maybe I would consider voting for McCain.

June 9, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  10. Michelle

You people are pathetic! Me being a 36-year-old African American and voting for the FIRST TIME, I agree with Michelle Obama. I can NOW say I'm proud of this country and that we're able to see for the first time in history, that a black man can become president. Based on the way this country has treated black people, I COMPLETELY understand where she's coming from. If you haven't walked a mile in our shoes, then you have no right to say what Michelle really meant. I knew exactly what she meant and I agree!

June 9, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  11. NormK

Laura's advice is sound. However, do not sit back as Laura did for the most part and be silent. What should come first: spouse or your country, or country and then your spouse?

June 9, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  12. Erik - Dallas, TX

WOW! I am very impressed with Firt Lady Laura Bush. So it is true President Bush did marry up by marring Laura. LOL

June 9, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  13. Jonathan Terranova

Fact: John McCain has voted 90.625% of the time since 2001 with Geroge W. Bush. We cannot continue his failed policies.

Vote Obama.

June 9, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  14. BJ

Nahhh... Michele said what she meant to say. I can't believe otherwise.

Hillary supporter for McCain!

NOBAMA FOREVER! And if CNN is asking... MANY Hillary supporters will either stay home, or vote for McCain... BUT NEVER for Obama nor the DNC who hi-jacked this nomination!

June 9, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  15. Less, Austin Tx

Rabid Shrillary Fan – You forgot to include with word 'stupid' when describing yourself.

June 9, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  16. ATLian

For the first time in my life I am proud of my country and when Barack is elected President I will be really proud. And I mean every word of it!

June 9, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  17. Samson

If anything, Hillary is the toughest woman in American politics. She's been thrown so much vitriol yet remains strong and poised, a great example for anyone.

June 9, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  18. Uncle Sam

For the first time in my adult life, I'm proud not to vote for the Democrat.

Citizens for McCain '08

June 9, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  19. Sharon

I think its laughable to call Obama a liar. You got a current President who has done nothing but mislead the country into a war that should of never been authorized or waged. All these so-called, Repugs who are pretending to be HRC supporters are the true liars.

June 9, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  20. Laura

Being ridiculously nationalist is not a good thing when you are looking for change. How are we ever going to overcome our many and varied problems when we have leaders who insist that everything is alright?

June 9, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  21. Greta

I think Laura Bush is a really nice lady, even though I am a Dem strongly opposed to the Bush policies. She just seems very kind and sweet. I also really like Michelle Obama, who seems like a genuinely kind person. And, I like Hillary a lot too. She would have made a great president and she could go on to be the greatest senator and most powerful politician in Washington. But, we gotta get Obama elected because McCain's policies are not good for America. (And, yes, Cindy McCain also seems like a lovely woman.)

June 9, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  22. Jen, NYC

Now all the Republicans are sucking up to the Clinton base to get them to vote for McCain in Nov. If these Democrats want another 4 years of Bush term then so be it. This country is going down the tubes anyway.

June 9, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  23. ay

For all McCain supporters, you have to really be crazy and miscontrued if you want 4 more years of the same politics, war and poor economy. Either you are rich and for the richer getting richer or you are just easily to be manipulated. OBAMA for PRESIDENT and that is who he will be come Nov. 08.

June 9, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  24. Darth Vadik, CA

Republican = Self dinal and fake happines

Democrats = we weep for everybody

Answer = ?

June 9, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  25. Lyle

Mrs. Bush is being much too generous and kind to Michelle Obama, but her advice is sound.

Mrs. Obama meant exactly what she said, “"for the first time in my adult life, I'm proud of my country." There is no way to misinterpret a crystal clear statement such as this. Sadly Mrs. Obama has shown that she has little love for America and is full of hate and anger.

June 9, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |