June 9th, 2008

Laura Bush applauds Clinton, has advice for Michelle Obama

Laura Bush addresses the press at the Presidential Palace in Kabul Sunday.
Laura Bush addresses the press at the Presidential Palace in Kabul Sunday.

(CNN) – First Lady Laura Bush said Monday that as a veteran of the rigors of the campaign trail herself, she "admired Hillary's grit and strength."

"I know what it’s like to run those campaigns, to be the candidate and how very difficult it is both emotionally and physically,” Bush told ABC News. “It's a huge endurance, process of endurance, and so I'll have to say I have a lot of admiration for her endurance and strength."

"I know it's hard," Mrs. Bush said, "It's hard to do that and I think she did great."

Bush also defended Michelle Obama over a controversial comment that drew criticism from many conservative pundits – but offered caution for the wife of presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama.

Earlier this year, Michelle Obama told the crowd at a primary season campaign event that "for the first time in my adult life, I'm proud of my country." (WATCH what Michelle Obama said)

Later, she said her remarks had been misinterpreted, and that she had been referring to how proud she was that Americans were engaging in the political process as never before. (WATCH: Michelle Obama responds to her misinterpreted remarks.)

"I think she probably meant 'I'm more proud,'" said Laura Bush Monday, adding that "you have to be very careful in what you say" when you’re campaigning.

"That's one of the things you learn and that's one of the really difficult parts both of running for president, and for being the spouse of the president, and that is everything you say is looked and in many cases misconstrued."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Laura Bush • Michelle Obama
  1. Cheerio

Hey CNN, way to perpetuate the misinterpretation....

What Michelle actually said was "For the first time in my adult life, I'm REALLY proud of my country."

Please get the facts right before you publish a story.

June 9, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  2. vp not owed to Hillary

To Paul-Go ahead and vote then watch our Sons and Daughters sent to Iraq to return with life long problems, injured/ in a body bag then count all the money spent in Iraq .(A war Bush and Chen ey started for no reason just lies ) Then watch the mistreatment of these Veterans when they return remember McCain voted against education for them many of these young men and woman are high school graduates that deserve College education when they return.
    Republicans keep harping the Democrats will raise taxes well what do you think you are paying for now for this uncalled for ungodly war ?Is paying for this war worth shouting from a mountain top ?

June 9, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  3. VA Republicans

Laura is a good person. unfortunately married to the wrong guy. I attended a dinner with her before and she is a great down to earth person. i truly believe she meant what she said, so nasty comments are not needed. you can vote for McCain or Obama, it really does not matter since this what democracy is all about. what democracy is not about is to be so bitter that you are willing to vote against your believes just because your candidate did not make it. I am not defending Obama but my question is: what makes anyone of us so qualified to judge Obama's experience?? are we experienced enough ourselves to be qualified enough to say that some is experienced and someone is not??? since it is almost impossible to find a candidate with last job is President listed on his resume then we need to stop making this an excuse. Bill Clinton was around the same age of Obama when he first became a president and he did not have a president listed in his past experience. we all lived the good times of Bill Clinton and we all lived the hardship of GWB in which both of them were governors before becoming presidents. so to say that being a governor qualifies you to become a prsident is no longer an argument if you take a deep look at both Bill and George

June 9, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  4. Beware out there

Many of us have seen through the Obamas.

We are already tired of their hypocrisy and two-facedness.

June 9, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  5. ObamaSupporter

Every body have a feeling even Laura Bush our next president is going to be Obama. Thank you Mrs. Bush Michelle would use all the advice you can give her. I can not wait to hear what Sean Hannity , Karl Rove, and Bill O'Relley have to say now.

June 9, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  6. kb

AMEN to Hillary......but the rules are the rules.....I have seen a lot team that are better.....but in the end there could only be one winner.....please do not elect McCain......I am an ex-soldier who do not want to go to war with IRAN........

June 9, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  7. GWS

The 'Clinton Women' opting to vote for McCain are the prime example of why a woman should not be president ... the 'if I don't get my way, I'll take my ball and place with the enemy' mentality shows that some women operate with their emotions, rather than with the brains!! I wonder if they would be reacting the same way if Sen. Obama was a white male – NOT!! Get a clue, ladies, there's more at stake than your hurt feelings – four more years of Bush!!

June 9, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  8. Roberto

Gee now that Obama is the Dem nominee, my question to all the staunch Republican bigots is, "Do you really want someone who gave the enemy (VietCong) military information while under interrogation to be president?"

June 9, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  9. Jackie Waldolrf

I am really tired of having this statement mischaracterized by CNN.
    If CNN is going to put the comment in quotes, they should quote it accurately. Michelle Obama said (watch the tape). "For the first time in my adult life, I'm REALLY proud of my country." The insinuation that this is the first time in her life that Michelle is proud of her country is pure spin and either intended to discredit her or keep the argument that the Obamas are not patriotic going.

I would expect something like this from FOX but not from CNN

June 9, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  10. Ed NJ

Behind every good man, there is a greater woman.

Thank you first lady!

:O)

June 9, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  11. Jimmy Alderson

Evidently, all of the educated people have stopped posting to the CNN Political Ticker Blogs.

It's obvious from the spelling and grammar mistakes in the blog that the majority of posters are either uneducated, or republicans.

I for one have stopped reading these comments as they are nothing but childish vitriol and fear mongering.

CNN Please do a better job of moderating. Stop the violence!

June 9, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  12. BARAKFORLIFE

Headlines stirring up more strife than a "little bit." Of WHAT value is her praise to Clinton? Her Admonishment of Michelle? That's what I thought...CNN you REALLY need to watch the tenor of your reporting. You have, oft times, gotten under my goat with some of your foolishness. Please, son't make me turn to MSN for my daily...

June 9, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  13. Republican for Obama

Of course all the people saying Obama doesn't have the experience to be President were horrified when Bill Clinton was elected, I am sure. Here comes Bill, governor of a small state with a poor economy and ranked 49th in the union for education. I lived there at the time and coming from NY it was like going through a time portal, blacks on this side of the street, whites on that side. Yet even as a Republican I can admit he motivated and energized the people to make changes and that is what Obama offers, good communication skills and motivation to make ourselves better.

Lastly Obama never says he will fix everything, he says WE will fix things and it will not be easy. The quote from Obama that really got me over to his side was "I'm not running to tell you what you want to hear, I'm running to tell you what you need to hear". As Americans we live out of our means and expect things instead of earning them (not everyone but on the whole). It is time someone came out and said, it will be tough, we've been lazy, let's get to work.

June 9, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  14. Frankly

Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah...
    You will NEVER get it!
    It is not "your body" that is at issue.
    It is murder of an unborn human being!
    The Government has always had laws against murder.
    The politically correct choose to think life does not begin at conception and they are WRONG!!

June 9, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  15. carolflowery

As a single mom that raised 3 sons I admire women period. If women can run households, run a household on a secretaries' salary, or keep a family afloat by waitressing, surly they can do as well running our country as well as any man. There have been reports done on what a woman would actually earn if she were paid for all her work she does for the love of her family, One I think reported around
    !30,000 dollars a year. As a retired teacher, I can tell you, I had on the job training for 30 years, every year was a new learning situation.
    My support is to all women. Would I vote for President just because she is a woman. No! Would I vote for a President just because they are black, no! I will vote for the person I feel can best direct this country into the best possible scenario under these crucial times.
    God bless all Americans and people of the world as they watch our political machine in action. Thanks Mrs. Bush for always just being honest!

June 9, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  16. david

To Doc Sinn June 9th, 2008 12:15 pm ET

If you ever a regular on Hillary blog, you will know many true hillary supporters (most online hillary supporters) will never support Obama. We know who is Obama. Belonging to any party doesn't change who he is.

June 9, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  17. Beth

A.M. Saqib June 9th, 2008 12:02 pm ET

Well said Mrs. Bush, well said. Once again 'Michelle Obama's remark were intentionally miscontrued by republicans, and even more so now, mentioning and reminding people again what they almost forgot is not needed; when this should be the histroy reminding every one again of those remarks really serves no purpose.

As far as Mrs. Hillary Clinton is concerned, indeed she did an excellent performance all the way around, and it shows that she was not just a "First Lady' she is herself a well polished politician and a true leader. Her endoresement of 'Obama' speaks by itself as to how much she cares and how dedicated a democrat is she.

Thank you for valubale advise anyways!

A.M. Saqib
    Houston, Texas
    *********************************************************************

I am with you. Some of the people here think this lady means what she says here. First,
    They want to show Hillary is a good person with all what she did to Obama and show that she still has her honor after she lost.

Swiftboat Obama's by bringing the bad side and reminding people what michelle said but cover it up somewhat. This is because they can not take on Obama now that he defeated the Clinton brand.

she is talking after the family killed millions in the world.

I don't think because Laura bush is usually quiet she is any better.

Let's remove these cronies in the white house and put in someone who connects with us ordinary people and that is Obama's!~

June 9, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  18. andrew s. rostolder hillsdale nj

laura, i think you were one of the best first ladies of all time. you never caused the administration any concern. hillary was one of the worst. she thought the people voted for hillbilly.................not........................her sense of entitlement and her lying killed her shot at glory. now there is a real oppurtunity for her to do some good.......ain't gonna happen.... the clintons are about the clintons not about america. crying is the enemy of feminism. it appears hillbilly is ramping up for 2012. it will back fire on them again.

June 9, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  19. Winny

This is very commendable. It was kind and considerate of the First Lady to empathise as she has had her own fair share of experiences like that.

June 9, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  20. Matt

Doc Sinn is right. The people trying to stir up emotions and controversy by posing as Clinton and Obama supporters are pathetic. The Dems are not as divided as you would like to think and the majority of us can see right through this hapless attempt at dividing the party. Perhaps your time would be better spent trying to repair the relationship between your conservative base and McCain. You certainly have a lot of work to do.

June 9, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  21. george

Time to move on and stop Making Hillary news everyday!

June 9, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  22. Terry in New York

Oh no this isn't another first lady wanting to be a politician is it??????
    We sorta got rid one of and we don't need another. Maybe the New Yorkers (NYCity people) that elected Hillbilly will throw her out completely at her next senate election?

June 9, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  23. Former Republican

HSNP, my advice do sell your house if you vote McSame as Bush because the economy will be worst!!!

OBAMA 08

June 9, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  24. Quincy

Perceptions

It appears that many of you bloggers perceptions about the candidates running are blocking your wise eye regarding the issues facing America.

many of you taking the time to blog would rather vote for a candidate strictly on your perceptions rather than using "facts".

I've even seen some responders state that would not vote for a candidate based on what they PERCEIVED a person said rather than what they actually said. Despite the fact that that candidate supports everything that would make their life better and improve their social and economic condition.

I've even seen many state they would vote against a candidate not based on his/her voting record, not on the platform of change or positions on the war, social security, heatlth care or taxation, but because of what bloggers are saying against Sen. Hillary Clinton.

Now, I'm in no position to past judgement on any man or woman. That's God's role, but at least do your homework and vote based on facts, not emotion or perceptions. Make your vote count for something concrete.

June 9, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  25. How, they ask

How did Obama EVER disrespect HRC?

Hmnnn.

I can remember the Annie Oakley mocking.

I can remember the brushing her of his shoulders.

I can recall his saying she is the same old politics as usual- really? We have had a democrat for the last 8 years? And a woman at that?
    And THIS GREAT woman?

I remember Michelle saying she would have to THINK about voting for HRC, if Hillary was the nominee. Party loyalty anyone. The issues anyone? The similar plarform? The war, the courts, the economy, Roe vs Wade,

Where were YOU... maybe you should NOT be voting if you are not paying any attention.

June 9, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |