June 9th, 2008

McCain incorrectly denies criticizing media's Clinton coverage

CNN

Watch Sen. McCain's comments about Sen. Clinton from last week.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. John McCain incorrectly denied this weekend that he had made a remark criticizing media coverage of Hillary Clinton’s presidential bid during his election night speech near New Orleans, telling an interviewer that he was “not in the business of commenting on the press.”

But the presumptive Republican nominee had delivered the comment in question.

A Newsweek interviewer asked McCain about whether reporters had been fair to Clinton during her presidential run, pointing out that the presumptive Republican nominee had said during his Tuesday night speech that “the media hadn't recognized, or had overlooked some of the attributes that Hillary Clinton had brought to the race.”

McCain denied making the remark. “I did not [say that] - that was in prepared remarks, and I did not [say it] - I'm not in the business of commenting on the press and their coverage or not coverage,” he responded.

The Arizona senator added, “I can't change any of the coverage that I know of, except to just campaign as hard as I can and try to seek the approval of the majority of my fellow citizens. It is something that the American people will judge, and I won't complain about it and I won't praise it. I will just run my campaign and hope that the American people will make a judgment.”

But in his election night address, McCain had taken a swipe at the press. “Senator Clinton has earned great respect for her tenacity and courage,” he said. “The media often overlooked how compassionately she spoke to the concerns and dreams of millions of Americans and she deserves a lot more appreciation than she sometimes receives.” WATCH McCain's comment here.

Some of Clinton's strongest supporters have complained that she received unfair treatment from journalists during her presidential run. McCain's campaign has made a special effort to appeal to disappointed Clinton backers in the days since she ended her White House run.

CNN has asked the McCain campaign for comment.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Marie in California

Clinton DID receive unfair treatment from both the DNC and the MSM, and McCain was right to say so. He was only stating the obvious. In recent months, I have totally quit watching CNN and any network news.

I am so disgusted with the DNC that my Democratic vote will go to McCain this November. In fact, I think I am totally done with the DNC... forever.

June 9, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  2. will

I never thought I would ever have more respect for Fox then CNN or MSNBC. However, quasi-journalists such as Matthews, Oberman, Cafferty and Martin have really turned me off. The only CNN journalists I respect at this point are Lou Dobbs and Wolf Blitzer. Also, note to CNN, we are sick of seeing Donna Brazile and Bill Bennett!!!

June 9, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  3. OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT!

NEW MCCAIN SLOGAN * A GREAT DEPRESSION WE CAN BELIEVE IN! *

June 9, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  4. sherrie50

FYI: All Hc's supporters were not "uneducated" as I am Black, Female, and educated.

June 9, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  5. Jaci

All you Hillary supporters who are women and plan to vote for this guy, please read the article "The Woman McCain left Behind".
    It's sad....How could you vote for him?

June 9, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  6. Disappointed

This is the man that we want answering the 3:00 am phone call and he can't remember what he is saying half the time? I think not!

June 9, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  7. OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT!

NEW MCCAIN SLOGAN * A WORLD WAR THREE WE CAN BELIEVE IN! *

June 9, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  8. Mary

McSame not only lies but pandeers to women like he cares about their issues. In reality he voted against the childrens health bill and would have girls and women forced to seek back alley abortions even in the case of rape, incest, or inablity to afford to birth, feed, or shelter a child. He is not for women or childrens rights-he is a multimillionaire who is rich off the money his wife makes off of beer. He should at least be in favor of free alcohol treatment centers.

June 9, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  9. vote for mccain

It's crystal clear to me now why republicans are so much better suited to winning national elections. They are idea driven rather than person driven, They are disciplined. They believe no matter who their guy was in the primary, the REPUBLICAN is now their guy even if they hated him 14 minutes ago. They now LOVE their guy for a simple reason: THEY HATE OUR GUY. ( colloquial; not intended to be gender dismissive) They will work like dogs because their worst guy is better than our best guy.

We can exchange slights and hurt feelings if you want. I'd rather beat the republicans.

June 9, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  10. Jason, Omaha, NE

expirience counts, just like George W. Bush had expirience and Clinton didn't. I will take my chance with someone with not as much expirience, just like Bill Clinton in 1992.

June 9, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  11. LB

There are a lot of people on here that say they were Hillary supporters and now will vote McCain. They lie. What women would vote for someone who wants to take away her rights, wants to kill her kids, grandkids or neighbors kids in Iraq, wants to stop social security, doesn't want to do anything about the high cost of a college education. Why would any person want this man as President. His only plus is was experience, and he wants to use that experience to fight in Iraq, Iran and North Korea. We are all dead if you elect this guy.

June 9, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  12. MJC

Lawd Help Us.

June 9, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  13. A New Mexican

I am not trying to bring this up to be a jerk but he is pretty old and one has to wonder how well his mind is working.

June 9, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  14. Rock

Disappointed June 9th, 2008 4:32 pm ET

----–

I'll bet you don't remember what you exactly said yesterday.

June 9, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  15. Xavier, St. Louis, MO

McCain has a problem with remembering things, that's that old age that has settled in. Give him a couple-of-years he won't remember who he is. People do you really want to vote for someone who won’t remember what they said or done?

OBAMANATION ‘08

June 9, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  16. HopeThrives

Will

I feel sorry for you. You must not like what you see in the mirror. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where this hate comes from. We love ourselves, we love others. We hate ourselves, we hate others. Poor pathetic people on here that say no Hillary then McCain. As I see it, Obama doesn't need Hillary anyway. NEW POLLS, Hillary would do more damage than good. Independants (like me) and Republicans don't like her and they are extremely important come November!

June 9, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  17. Slected not Elected

all the paid bloggers, Obama, his supporters, the DNC, the party elite, and the mainstream media have conspired to marginalize the millions of Democrats who have voted for Hillary, and they will now be using every trick in the book to "bring the party together" to further their ruthless ambitions. They will want you to forget all about the months of biased press, the biased party elite, the insults, the sexist remarks, and the race-cards. They will want you to forget that the Democratic Party now is the party that stands for disenfranchisement of the voters and the rationalization of racism. They will use any method to persuade you to vote for the man who they have preordained as the Democratic nominee. DON'T FALL FOR IT!

June 9, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  18. Debbi

Jimmy,

What integrity? He slept around on his wife, dumped her to the curb because she was in a car accident and it left her disfigured then had the stones to marry the younger, more prettier, richer women. And you call THAT integrity???

This is for you Hillary supporters that will vote for McCain because your because your candidate didn’t get the nomination. How can you vote for a man who does that to a disabled wife after she stood by him the entire time he was a POW. I have nothing but respect for his service to this country but, I will not let that overshadow where he stands on the issues and on the future of the U.S.A. I will not vote lightly and nor should you.

June 9, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  19. Franky

Ohhh great!!! Can somebody please not make Senator McCain upset??? Let alone his short-term memory won't be as good as before....

June 9, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  20. James in Oregon

A big plus in McCain's memory lapses is , he won't be able to remember how bad he lost the election........LOL.

June 9, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  21. What if?

I guess CNN AND FOX NEWS, when i listen to Clinton supporters, I wonder do they even know what they're talking about. Because of her vote with Bush, we invaded an innocent country for oil by being bullies like we always been. Well I guess once you read this your story will change, because Sen. Dole is defently not for Clintor or Obama.

I felt a need to share this with you all. Since Clinton supporters swears out Clinton was going to be our SAVIOR...comments of.....Sen E-N.C. Elizabeth Dole, Obama supporters and especially die heart Clinton supporters: She said “Democrats had to choose between one candidate who said she’d obliterate Iran and another candidate who said he wants to invite Iranian leaders over for dinner and then maybe a chat after dinner with a good cigar-Cuban. I’d imagine. I don’t wan either of those two answering the White House telephone at 3 o’clock in the morning”.

June 9, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  22. Ian

Just wait until a new hit T.V. show comes out. Everyone will forget about this in no time!

June 9, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  23. Phil VA

to Nick: " Basically McCain has 22 MORE YEARS of POLITICAL EXP. THAN OBAMA!"

--------------------------------

Where has McCain's "experience" got us? Let me tell you ;
    War on two fronts
    Highest gas prices in history
    Housing market on the brink of disaster
    A recession
    Embarrasment in the free world

need I go on?

I would much rather have a "non experienced" guy who will fix the mess and not add to it than an "experienced" guy who will use all of his infinite wisdom to keep status quo!

Obama 08

June 9, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  24. Clinton Supporter

I hope McCain is overwhelmed with Clinton supporters jumping off a sinking ship. Blitzer also seems to have come to the startling conclusion that some Clinton supporters are not happy, even after Barack began fawning all over Clinton.

I'm sure none of this is lost on Clinton herself. I hope she takes the Obama carefully delayed shows of "respect" into account and flatly refuses the VP slot. Because don't kid yourselves, whether it gets out or not, BO knows where his bread is buttered, and he will privately ask her first. Please say no, Hillary. You can tell us all about it after the Inauguration is over and McCain is our new president. Of course, we will all be shocked and horrified if Clinton supporters end up voting for the only gentleman in the race. Why would do a thing like that when they could have a racist and sexist president of the free world????

June 9, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  25. Kevin of Ohio

McCain should stop acting afriad of the Media retaliating if he opposes their comments.

McCain show Your COURAGE and call them on it when the media makes prejudice sexist statements. This will just show that You Have Values that you defend.

June 9, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |