June 9th, 2008

McCain incorrectly denies criticizing media's Clinton coverage

CNN

Watch Sen. McCain's comments about Sen. Clinton from last week.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. John McCain incorrectly denied this weekend that he had made a remark criticizing media coverage of Hillary Clinton’s presidential bid during his election night speech near New Orleans, telling an interviewer that he was “not in the business of commenting on the press.”

But the presumptive Republican nominee had delivered the comment in question.

A Newsweek interviewer asked McCain about whether reporters had been fair to Clinton during her presidential run, pointing out that the presumptive Republican nominee had said during his Tuesday night speech that “the media hadn't recognized, or had overlooked some of the attributes that Hillary Clinton had brought to the race.”

McCain denied making the remark. “I did not [say that] - that was in prepared remarks, and I did not [say it] - I'm not in the business of commenting on the press and their coverage or not coverage,” he responded.

The Arizona senator added, “I can't change any of the coverage that I know of, except to just campaign as hard as I can and try to seek the approval of the majority of my fellow citizens. It is something that the American people will judge, and I won't complain about it and I won't praise it. I will just run my campaign and hope that the American people will make a judgment.”

But in his election night address, McCain had taken a swipe at the press. “Senator Clinton has earned great respect for her tenacity and courage,” he said. “The media often overlooked how compassionately she spoke to the concerns and dreams of millions of Americans and she deserves a lot more appreciation than she sometimes receives.” WATCH McCain's comment here.

Some of Clinton's strongest supporters have complained that she received unfair treatment from journalists during her presidential run. McCain's campaign has made a special effort to appeal to disappointed Clinton backers in the days since she ended her White House run.

CNN has asked the McCain campaign for comment.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. You gotta walk the walk

So racism is appalling to you people but discriminating based on age is ok? People like you are what is wrong with this country, how about we speak of Mccain's failures as a senator, in his policies, in whether or not we believe in his ability to effectively lead this country, I am on one hand so proud to see America nominate a black man hopefully based on being inspired and encouraged that we can take back our country and thrive but then I read the hateful comments about a man who truly is a patriot and who truly has served this country and deserves more respect than this. He may not be the right man for the presidency and he may not be what America needs right now so don't vote for him is it really necessary to be so rude and hateful? Isn't that exactly what senator Obama is saying needs to change? Hypocrites.

June 9, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  2. REAL CHANGE

All the HRC supporters who do not like Obama need to get past this primary and start backing the one person who can still deliver what you want. That person is NOT McCain. All of you know this. Obama did not "steal" the nomination and HRC has ENDORSED him. One minute you all say you will follow her and now you won't listen to her. Makes no sense to me.

June 9, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  3. Clinton Democrat

I'm an ardent Hillary supporter who was one who decided to vote for McCain in November. I simply thought Obama didn't have enough experience, and I bought into all the talk about Obama and Clinton having many policy differences.

I made a mistake and realize that I was overreacting emotionally. These constant 'mistakes' on McCain's part have highlighted this. Having this man as president would be a huge mistake.

The truth is Clinton and Obama share almost all the same views and opinions. Fortunately, I saw the light early. I'm sure many others will over time. Hopefully, more come back to the good side before November – before they make a horrible mistake.

June 9, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  4. frank

The argument is really rather elementary. ARE YOU BETTER OFF THE 4 OR 8 YEARS AGO. Now here is the logic. If the answer is yes then vote for McCain.

If the answer is an emphatic no as in my case, then why do we listen to the same pundits that are asking you to vote for McCain that told you to vote for George Bush. If our financial advisor told us to invest in stuff that constantly leads us to losing money, then why would we continue to listen to them. And isnt this more important than our money? So why listen to Billo, Hannity, Laura Ingram, Bill Kristol, Limbaugh, Fox etc etc and lead us astray. Arent we supposed to learn from our mistake and understand bad advise when we see it or at least bad advisors?

GEORGE BUSH THE WORST PRESIDENT EVERRRR!!!!!

June 9, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  5. FAKE HILLARY SUPPORTERS

ALERT FAKE HILLARY SUPPORTERS ... you say you support Senator Clinton, do you understand where she stands on the issues, she is the complete opposite of Senator McCain on the issues? How can you vote for McCain who laughed when Senator Clinton was called a female dog (I have the link but cnn won't post my comment if I include the link), or when he made a really bad joke about Chelsea Clinton who was only 18 at the time (I have the link but cnn won't post my comment if I include the link)

June 9, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  6. Winner

Hey "Will"...go ahead and take your revenge all you want...
    Even with you and the rest of your Hillary cry babies (immature kids) voting for McSane...The Democrats is still going to win come November. We will be fine without people like you.

June 9, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  7. cpljoeb from NC

I am a republican who would vote republican if it had been any candidate other than John McCain. McCain could even answer Ron Paul's question about the economy in a Republican debate. I am a disabled combat Marine veteran and John McCain states he is one of us, but that upsets me. He voted against the new GI bill, lost his temper when he was speaking to a mother of a POW/MIA on Capitol Hill, wants the war to continue and won't use the military as a political tool, when the military defends the constitution, not a party. Just think if we had all the money that has been spent on the Iraqi war, the economy won't be in the mess it is in, we wouldn't be in this foreclosure mess, and gas prices would be stable. Alot a republicans state they are going to vote republican, but when they get in the voting booth it will be different.

June 9, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  8. Tired of W, OH

john said: Oh yea he's up to task for president! Next thing he will say is "THere are no US troops at Baghdad airport" LOL!!!!!!

Bravo john! I'd almost forgotten about the infamous Baghdad Bob. Maybe we should start calling him, McBaghdad? McBob? McSenile?

June 9, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  9. ray from FL

JOHN IS OLDER THAM DIRT, SO HE SAYS, and he therefore is older than this Grandfather of seven so whats the big deal. You will all get there and start loosing it at 70. Iask what is news, its the aging process, sometimes you just flat forget and Jon is no different. Give him time and he may remember?

June 9, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  10. loyal democrats for Obama

DEMOCRATS HAVE THEMSELVES TO BLAME, If they are trick to believe that Maccain speaks for them.
    Maccain knew that on that day many people of whom have voted for Hillary to see Hillary defeated will be disappointed and Maccain wants to spoil their minds in bring them to him.

Open your eyes,Well cnn you have to stop these kind of posting, I believe most Hillary supporters will vote for Obama. Primary is a process to select a candidate not a process to split party. Democrats doesn't practice monarchy so therefore its most go through series primaries and caucuses to choose a candidate.

I believe most people who said they were Hillary supporters and won't vote for Obama are Republicans.

Some states allowed both parties to vote either ways and its doesn't means they will vote the same way comes general election.

Mind you this is facts , those people are not DEMOCRATS and they are there to convince disappointed democrats to vote for Maccain. DEMOCRATS BEWARE.
    Maccain also have a lots of repair to do in his own party, because many republicans will not vote for him. Maccain is a trick star will support bad thing to enginal negativities among disappointed loyal Hillary supporters.

Maccain has nothing in common with Hillary except you are not a true democrats then you may vote for Maccain or not vote.

June 9, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  11. LS

Why doesn't he just go ahead and make her his veep – I'd love that! Get her away from Obama!

McCain-Clinton '08

June 9, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  12. Casual observer

And now that Hillary's out of the race the media bias can be pointed squarely against John McCain, as with any Republican. Especially when he's going against the media favorite son, Mr. Obama.

June 9, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  13. Mike

You Obama supporters that keep referring to Clinton or McCain supporters as "paid bloggers..."

Paranoid!

What idiots you people are!

Go figure, you voted for NOBAMA!

June 9, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  14. Canadian Neighbour

Ooops!!! McCain forgot !

SENILE

June 9, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  15. Sam Houston, GA

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    Cindy McCain (the one he ditched the disabled wife for) – google John McCain

At the time, legal experts told the Phoenix New Times that had she not been married to John, she likely would have been sentenced to federal prison.

June 9, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  16. Shawna

I don't understand how voting against your own interests is a vote for Hillary, everyone crying that they are voting for McCain since hillary lost, shows that they are not voting on the issues, but that they are voting based on race, gender, and a host of non kitchen table issues. You didn't vote for hillary because you liked her policies because they are very starkly different from McCains. Obama's policies are closer to McCain's in comparison to Clinton. So this how I know people voting for McCain since Hillary lost, are not voting based on the issues.

June 9, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  17. Ed

Americans are sometimes beyond understanding. Here is a President who has sent 4100 young men and women to death in Iraq.Another one shows up promising to send another 4100 or more to die and says vote for me, and people still even want to consider him for the Presidency? I cant hold my head in shame for my countrymen and women.

June 9, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  18. Niccole

Age has nothing to do with this but...... Bottom line is that McCain says whatever the thinks at the time but doesn't really mean it. I don't trust a word out of his mouth because he has 5 different positions on one issue.

It's hard to remember things you've said when it's not really your true feelings.

June 9, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  19. Anna, SW Missouri

Gee, I just can't wait til he makes outlandish remarks to a foreign leader and then when that leader is upset, McCain will start a war because he won't remember he made the remark.

June 9, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  20. Robin Country Club Hills

Mike Il-
    It's not devisive when Dems and Reps disagree. That's politics

June 9, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  21. cpljoeb from NC

I am a republican who would vote republican if it had been any candidate other than John McCain. McCain couldn't even answer Ron Paul's question about the economy in a Republican debate. I am a disabled combat Marine veteran and John McCain states he is one of us, but that upsets me. He voted against the new GI bill, lost his temper when he was speaking to a mother of a POW/MIA on Capitol Hill, wants the war to continue and uses the military as a political tool, when the military defends the constitution, not a party. Just think if we had all the money that has been spent on the Iraqi war, the economy won't be in the mess it is in, we wouldn't be in this foreclosure mess, and gas prices would be stable. Alot a republicans state they are going to vote republican, but when they get in the voting booth it will be different.

June 9, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  22. Angela Frazier, Memphis TN

Give him a break! He forgot again....

June 9, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  23. Following Hillary

As a longtime Hillary supporter, I am shocked at how many idiots are talking about jumping to McCain because she didn't get the nomination. What a bunch of crybabies!

Obama is now the standard-bearer for everything Hillary and the rest of us campaigned for. These fair-weather Dems are worse than useless. Good riddance!

June 9, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  24. carmen

God Help US !!

June 9, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  25. Jo Ann

LISTERN TO HIM REAL GOOD IT WILL BE MORE OF THE SAME
    AT 70 SOMETHING YOU TEND TO FORGET QUITE A LOT-.

REMEMBER THIS!