June 9th, 2008

McCain incorrectly denies criticizing media's Clinton coverage

CNN

Watch Sen. McCain's comments about Sen. Clinton from last week.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. John McCain incorrectly denied this weekend that he had made a remark criticizing media coverage of Hillary Clinton’s presidential bid during his election night speech near New Orleans, telling an interviewer that he was “not in the business of commenting on the press.”

But the presumptive Republican nominee had delivered the comment in question.

A Newsweek interviewer asked McCain about whether reporters had been fair to Clinton during her presidential run, pointing out that the presumptive Republican nominee had said during his Tuesday night speech that “the media hadn't recognized, or had overlooked some of the attributes that Hillary Clinton had brought to the race.”

McCain denied making the remark. “I did not [say that] - that was in prepared remarks, and I did not [say it] - I'm not in the business of commenting on the press and their coverage or not coverage,” he responded.

The Arizona senator added, “I can't change any of the coverage that I know of, except to just campaign as hard as I can and try to seek the approval of the majority of my fellow citizens. It is something that the American people will judge, and I won't complain about it and I won't praise it. I will just run my campaign and hope that the American people will make a judgment.”

But in his election night address, McCain had taken a swipe at the press. “Senator Clinton has earned great respect for her tenacity and courage,” he said. “The media often overlooked how compassionately she spoke to the concerns and dreams of millions of Americans and she deserves a lot more appreciation than she sometimes receives.” WATCH McCain's comment here.

Some of Clinton's strongest supporters have complained that she received unfair treatment from journalists during her presidential run. McCain's campaign has made a special effort to appeal to disappointed Clinton backers in the days since she ended her White House run.

CNN has asked the McCain campaign for comment.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Uncle Sam

And now the media will criticize John McCain for not criticizing the media. That sounds about right.

June 9, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  2. BA, OHIO

To Nick,
    If McCain has 22 years in the Senate, he should have been 49 when elected. Obama is 46 and has 22 years of public service. So you don't count that experience. What did McCain learn during those 22 years in the Senate? Probably he can't remember anything since his memory is not good at all. He can't remember what he said last week how is this guy experinced if he can't remember what he learned during those years?
    This is the guy you want for president. Think don't hate. Vote the future not the yesterday.

June 9, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  3. Sebastian

Ladies & Gentlemen –

Let's be nice and let Senator McCain continue to make the case for us. Please don't call him old, senile, Grandpa, Azhimers etc .... just let the intelligent public see this for what is is....

We've got the high road now and let's keep it through November ...

Competency + Civility + Centrist Policy + Clear CONCISE Communication + Keeping Our Commitments =

The Winning Obama Team in November 2008

Honest & Honorable Democrats for Obama

June 9, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  4. McCain = Pain

McCain doesn't equal Hillary. So why vote for McCain? McCain doesn't want Universal health care, etc. So why vote for McCain? 4 years is a long time to go through hell. Haven't we had enough? Vote Democrat. Vote Obama.

Did you know that Obama is like 95% the same as Hillary when it comes to the issues? Don't blame him for things he can't control like the media or the DNC rules. Don't take out your frustration on the American people. Majority of Americans can't suffer through 4 more years of Bush policies, and yes, McCain is just like Bush when it comes down to the economy, and the war in Iraq. Two big issues. Obama is just like Hillary. Hillary wouldn't endorse Obama if he was the total opposite? Remember she didn't endorse McCain!

June 9, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  5. the 1st Mrs. McCain is a Hero

.......... John McCain is too OLD for the NEXT Generation...!!

.................. And my grandchildren are the next generation....

...................Say NO to four more years of McWAR................

June 9, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  6. Independent in DC

LOL @ a person with a screen name: Still for Hill saying McCain '08...if that aint a contradiction of epic proportions...

June 9, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  7. Sebastian

Folks –

It's not that he forgot .... what concerns me is his tendency for anger and obstinent behavior. Reminds me of Bush being unwilling to admit a mistake … even the most simple mistake?

June 9, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  8. Ardnuas

The media does NOT citicize McCain for ANYTHING..... If McCain wins, it will be because the media is helping him win.
    Obama/Hagel

June 9, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  9. What if?

Yes, you did flip flop mannnnnnnnnnnn. Some of our use-to-be supporters are all for your lies, they will vote for someone who say one thing and do another...

Obama 08

June 9, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  10. Mark M Kansas City

You cannot treat Erectile Dysfunction and Alzheimer's at the same time. McCain made his choice, now WE have to live with it.

This is the best the Repubs have?

June 9, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  11. ???

Jason
    June 9th, 2008 4:24 pm ET

"Here it is again…proof that the media is in the tank for Obama and will do anything to take down the other candidates. I'm just waiting to hear what Roland Martin has to say about this since he seems to be all knowing. Way to go CNN!

I can't wait to laugh in the faces of the Obama supporters when he loses so badly!

Hillary 2012"

More like

Hillary 'never

if you vote against Obama just to spite his supporters. I won't vote against her but just remember that there are many people just as spiteful as you are.

June 9, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  12. Texan for Progression

In my previous posting where I wrote, "Case in point, CNN implies in this article that a Clinton supporter wrote....", it was intended to be posted in a different CNN article from this one, but the comments closed before I got it in. Therefore, I posted it here, which happens to be a more closely related article...only my "Case in point" refers to a different article.

June 9, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  13. chrisgeo

i'm not sure mccain can emember what he had for breakfast today. he certainly doesn't remember his voting record or that he hired lobyist to run his anti-lobby campaign.poor john he finaly gets to run for the whitehouse but has givin up his best qualities in the process

June 9, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  14. Montana is Obama Country

McSTUMPED is doing Hillary Clinton supports justice now isn't he...??

June 9, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  15. Franky

My name is John McCain and my base does not like me and
    I changed everything from taxes and amnesty.

My name is John McCain and I can reach the aisle
    even if people call me a liar.

My name is John McCain and I care
    but not to my party that I fare....

June 9, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  16. mary cleveland, ohio

2.5 BILLION DOLLARY A DAY IS SPENT ON MILITARY PROGRAMS.
    Anyone who thinks that is okay, vote for McCain. Anyone who thinks the money can be spent in a better place, don't vote for McCain.

Anyone who can afford $5, $6, $7 etc. etc. a gallon for gas, vote for McCain. Anyone who can't afford it, don't vote for McCain.

Anyone who thinks the wealthy should have tax cuts and pay less porportionatly than the poor, vote for McCain. Anyone who thinks that idea stinks, don't vote for McCain.

Anyone who thinks they need to eat better meals, feed their children better food, get better educations, get a better job or a job at all, don't vote for McCain. Anyone who is all set economically, lots of money invested and in the bank, vote for McCain.

June 9, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  17. John

It doesn't take a resume to be the president. It takes Judgement and intelligence. Obama has all three (even a resume). And he's not senile.

June 9, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  18. Texan for Progression

To Mikey The Real American (NOT):

Some of your comments are excellent, but I must ask....how can someone see so clearly the plight of the Democratic Party, yet be so blind to the plight of America???

June 9, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  19. Natalie

"Those were prepared comments"...I bet they were. McCain has become a flip-flopper, liar, and puppet for the RNC! You 17% of Hillary supporters are crazy for wanting this man in office!

Obama/Clinton '08

June 9, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  20. M.S. Indiana

???, and what will you do when Obama wins again ????

June 9, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  21. LA for Obama

If you Hillary supporters think she can run again in 2012 if Obama loses are living in that fantasy land President Bill was talking about. The Clintons are now apart of what you call HISTORY...Unfortunately for you, her political future rides on Obama's success. So if you love her like you say you do, then you better get on the Obama Express.

June 9, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  22. Natalie

"Those were prepared comments"…I bet they were. McCain has become a flip-flopper, liar, and puppet for the RNC! You 17% of Hillary supporters are crazy for wanting this man in office!

Obama/Clinton '08

June 9, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  23. karen

HIllary supporters who are not sure of Obama:: Look into McCain's past. See what he did to his first wife after she was in an awful auto accident!!! Married pretty little Cindy 1 month after the divorce. Then there is the "Keating 5". Now he is having trouble remembering! If McCain gets in your children will not have health care, public education, social security and the only jobs they will get are working in or for the military in Iraq. Shall we talk about what he will do for women's rights? McCain is a crook with no heart. He is narcistic like Bush and only cares about his own self and money. Obama cares and will change Washington!!! No lobbiests, no PAC. We the people of the US will be his lobbiests and he will do the very best he can for us!

June 9, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  24. Buffy

This is just one lie of many that McCain has told. Do some research folks -you'll see that pretty much every time MCain opens his mouth there comes a misstatement, an over-exaggeration, a gaffe, in other words, lies.

June 9, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  25. Unempressed voter

This is this the 3rd or 4th time he's forgotten something now?

I can't wait for his next anger tantrum – those are funny to watch! (and great for foreign relations! rofl)

June 9, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |