June 9th, 2008

McCain team reaches out to disappointed Clinton backers

Would Clinton's supporters really consider backing McCain this fall?
Would Clinton's supporters really consider backing McCain this fall?

WASHINGTON (CNN) - While Sen. Hillary Clinton was endorsing Sen. Barack Obama, some of those weighing in on her campaign Web site were less willing to concede.

As Clinton wrapped up her remarks Saturday in Washington with a plea for supporters to work "as hard for Barack Obama as you have for me," many were posting messages saying they would never vote for the presumptive Democratic nominee. A few even called on her backers to visit Sen. John McCain's campaign Web site.

"I love her and will vote for her in 2012, but it's McCain all the way now," wrote one within moments of the former first lady's address.

Whether that sort of statement signals a defection to the presumptive Republican nominee, a voter less likely to make it to the polls on Election Day or just a bit of low-grade, post-primary grumbling - it's the sort of sentiment that makes for a nagging, low-grade anxiety among nervous Democrats and brings a gleam to the eye of McCain.

As Democratic leaders met last month and decided to seat Florida and Michigan at half strength at the convention, angry Clinton supporters who had backed her plea for the seating of full delegations from both states began to chant, "Let's go, McCain!"

And as Clinton's presidential bid wound down, some of her loudest supporters began insisting they would consider voting for McCain if she were not the Democratic nominee.

Full story

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. Belle

Obama supporters are correct when they say they don't understand why we Hillary supporters will vote for McCain instead of Obama. Perhaps if you would open your mind and let in some fresh air instead of following blindly down the path of destruction you would be able to understand. First you say I am bitter, uneducated, stupid, etc. Now, you want my vote! If I have less education (I have a post-graduate degree) than some of you who post these vile comments, that education was certainly of a higher quality. I don't have any financial problems at this point in my life but I have certainly had to work for a living and I don't believe I am bitter. I am not voting for McCain out of spite; I simply believe he will be a better President. Party loyality is of little concern to me-the Democratic Party has shown that it will villify anyone who tries to compete with its chosen nominee. It is my responsibility to vote for the person I believe will be the better President. Still, I cannot believe the venom that is posted in these comments. Anyone who does not think twice about a candidate who inspires such hatred and animosity is working on auto pilot instead of logical thought processes. You all need to ask yourselves why?

June 9, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  2. James

Like night and day theres no getting around that, vote on the issues, not the person or the party, who is going to best fix the issues, certainly not stubborn people thats for sure, wake up. Just common sense here.

June 9, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  3. Bill - Charlotte

Since Hillary ran the last six weeks of her campaign as a "gun-toting, whiskey drinking, champion of the white blue collar workers,' I can see how her followers would be taken in by McCain. After all, they came to believe that Hillary was a right wing (appearing on Fox and in untra-conservative journals) "gun-toting, whiskey drinking, champion of the white blue collar workers."

June 9, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  4. mbgoldie

This 46 year old proud white female democrat from Florida will also be voting for experience in November.

June 9, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  5. jim, kansas city

I really love it, when I see Obama supporters and for that matter other supporters as wekk so enthusiastic that EVERYTHING is going to change.
    I am going to brake this down to you, politics is a dirty game. Personally I do not agree with J.Wright at all, but he was right about one thing, politicians will say whatever they need to say to get elected.
    As far as CHANGING EVERYTHING, newsflash, there has always been rich and poor in this world, you can find it on old testament as well when it talks about Abraham among his wealth he had X number of servants, which means they had people with low socioeconomic status back than too, I know its SUPRISE to a lot of folks.
    Which means that OBAMA, CLINTON and McCAIN they have not discovered nothing new here, nor they can change anything about it. It is just the way of life, I know it is not fair, but thats the way it is. Life is not fair. Only person that can do something about it is YOU, not OBAMA, CLINTON OR McCAIN. You will be disapointed if you think that any politician is going to change anything about the way you live.

June 9, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  6. unknown

To you all that are going to McCain , ask yourself are you true demovcrats or is the fence bitting you .

June 9, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  7. d

it is amazing how all of these women democrats are suddenly for McCain, who opposes womens right issues..a vote for McCain is another step to reversal of Roe vs. Wade. Once the smoke clears, and every one calms down, I think that the so called disenfranchised women will come to their sense and vote Obama. It also throws everything that Hillary Clinton has worked and campaigned for in the garbage.

June 9, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  8. MJ

If you voted for Hillary for experience, then why didn't you vote for the person with more experience in the first place? Clinton's policies are more in line with Obama than McCain. There's some underlying factors to the anti-Obama vote here.

-MJ

June 9, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  9. Ray, NC

Kathy in Oregon;

"That said, I'm voting for McCain, who unlike Obama, is a man with experience AND humility."

Of course McCain has more experience he's 70 freakin years old. That doesn't mean he's more qualified. That would be like electing Strom Thurmon, if he were alive, because he had 80 years of political EXPERIENCE.

Also, thinking McCain has even an ounce of HUMILTY shows how uneducated you really are about McCain.

To switch from HRC to McCain is the ultimate hypocrisy and you all deserve to be republicans.

June 9, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  10. I used to be a Democrat

You Obamanazis need to get over it.... your candidate SUCKS.

I will never vote for Dick Chaney's cousin. NEVER!

No more Chaneys in the White House.

June 9, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  11. Lynn

McCain does not have to reach out to me. . As Susan B. Anthony said "No self respecting woman should wish or work for success of a party that ignores her" This was 1872 and it is so true today. It took until l920 for woman right to vote the 19th Admendment. I heard stories from my grandmother on how she march for women right to vote. I think she would turn over in her grave knowing what Hillary had to endured, but she would also be proud for everytime Hillary got knocked down she got back up.

June 9, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  12. rw in ct

The call for unity has been answered with PUMA.

Has anyone noticed that the vile Obama supporters still do not get it. Now that they no longer feel a need to attack Hillary on her physical attributes, they are attacking Cindy McCain. I know that if Hillary supporters were to stoop as low and attack Michelle Obama's physical imperfections, either:
    1. the post would never get on the MSM sites
    2. there would be an outcry of racism

CNN put a stop immediately to the sexism and misogyny that you have fostered.

Country before party....vote McCain....

June 9, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  13. Robert from Cornell U.

I will never vote for BO-BAMA!

Go McCain!

June 9, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  14. john

I'd rather die than vote for obama...Go hillary or Mccain..

June 9, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  15. Chudi

Yes McCain,

Please come and take the remaining descendants of the Jim Crow democratic party away from our PARTY. I knew it because it took the color to be shown to them and they respond by showing their true color. We the real democrats shall remain stronger and more hopeful as a generation. Just look at the youth of America today; They make me proud because they grew up in a color blind society and these bunch of kids beat up the old FEARED CLINTON MACHINE. WOW!

Hey you OLD filthy rats oozing Jim Crow all over better leave this party and don't let the door slam you on your way out. Yeah! you heard us because this is our future too. And guess what? We are just getting started because there will 21m kids eligible to vote come November more than enough to balance 18m of you all. So please get lost and be quick about it. You guessed it right I'm a white Latte sipping 19+ TRUE DEMOCRATIC VOTER

June 9, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  16. KenZ

NO-BAMA, NOT now, NOT ever!!!!

BEAT HIM LIKE a Drum!!!

June 9, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  17. jimmy velman

OBAMA CAMP'S VP "SEARCH TEAM" IS JUST A COVER BY OBAMA TO DENY hILLARY THE VP SPOT ON THE DEMS. TICKET.
    WHAT DOES CAROLINE KENNEDY KNOW ABOUT THE POLITICIANS AND POLITICS IN GENERAL ,WHCH THIS "SEARCH TEAM" WILL BE CONSIDERING AS OBAMA'S RUNNING MATE?
    AMERICANS CAN SEE THROUGH THIS FARCE BECAUSE IT IS REALLY ONLY OBAMA WHO HAS TO MAKE THE CHOICE AND HE
    KNOWS ONLY TOO WELL WHO AND WHICH POLITICIANS HE IS CONSIDERING TO BE HIS VP. IT IS NOW 22% OF HILLARY SUPPORTERS GOING OVER TO MCCAIN. IT WILL BE AN AVALANCHE TO MCCAIN IF OBAMA DENIES hILLARY THE VP SPOT.

June 9, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  18. V

HonestLady, as an independent I will attempt to explain it to you. I came into this race liking McCain and Obama, and despising Hillary. As the race continued, Hillary proved to me that she was a determined candidate and a fierce opponent with a strong record of leadership. Obama made me realize that he is all hype, lacks experience, and has very poor judgment (Rev Wright). I will now be voting for the republican candidate that, like Hillary, has a strong record of leadership and bipartisanship.

June 9, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  19. RYAN

Republicans 're parading themselves in this blog as Hillary's supporters...No true democrat will vote for MCSAME except those living inside a box....NO MCSAME ...NO MCBUSH....

June 9, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  20. Joseph

You Obama supporters would be doing the same thing if Hillary had won, but without reason because Hillary has more experience that Obama.

June 9, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  21. Karen P

sounds like a Hillary cult following. I expect in this time of very difficult times people are SERIOUS about voting on the issues.

Why did her supporters bother to vote for her if now they think McCain will do better? Was is BECAUSE she's a woman and it's some kind of feminist movement?

Hillary is not the political figure I thought she was if her supporters are going to make her look like a cult leader.

Let's get serious...and that includes the media....STOP reportiing on this...you're just stirring the pot!

June 9, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  22. Toto

At the end of the movie, Dorothy realized that the renowned Wizard of Oz did not have the power she needed to make her world a better place. I t was the old man who showed Dorothy and her friends that those resources were within them all along waiting to be actualized.

President McCain '08

June 9, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  23. SAY Yes McCain

Your vote will count count In November by McCain. Obama and the DNC said to Florida and Michigan you don't count sooooooooo..
    no Revote.

June 9, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  24. Kimber Grace

Obama threw his little white grandma "under the bus" during his wonderful speech on race(aka his "I've got to do something about Jeremiah Wright" speech)...that was the last straw for me. I would be terribly hurt if my own daughter did that to her white grandma-and that was my final, definitive "NO" to Obama.
    And for the people trying to circulate the rumors about John McCain again, get over it, they are not true. McCain's first wife has campaigned for him and has spoken highly of him, and her children- who McCain legally adopted- have as well, with one of his sons actually working for Cindy McCain's company. McCain is honorable and has much integrity, and you are showing your ignorance and childishness with your ridiculous comments. AND, if you think Obama is going to miraculously deliver us from this Iraq mess, I only need say "NANCY PELOSI and crew" (who I voted for!!!!!) ...

June 9, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  25. REAL American for Obama

Hillary's protest voters are few and far between. They're all suffering from the same narcissism that cost their candidate a chance at the White House. They think they are entitled to whine, cry, threaten, and bully in order to get their way. They think they are more important to than they really are. They are so self-centered that they forget there are millions of other voters out there who DON"T share their sentiments.

The way Barack Obama won the democratic nomination should be proof that he WILL get those votes that he needs. He doesn't need ALL 18 million of HRC's voters. He has 18 million of his own and millions of other supporters will come onboard over the next few months.

Some HRC supporters were NEVER going to vote for him in the first place, and the rest are too stupid to make a sensible decision anyway, so they are all IRRELEVANT. Those that want to come over to the Obama's side will, and those who won't....WHO CARES????

June 9, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |