June 9th, 2008

McCain team reaches out to disappointed Clinton backers

Would Clinton's supporters really consider backing McCain this fall?
Would Clinton's supporters really consider backing McCain this fall?

WASHINGTON (CNN) - While Sen. Hillary Clinton was endorsing Sen. Barack Obama, some of those weighing in on her campaign Web site were less willing to concede.

As Clinton wrapped up her remarks Saturday in Washington with a plea for supporters to work "as hard for Barack Obama as you have for me," many were posting messages saying they would never vote for the presumptive Democratic nominee. A few even called on her backers to visit Sen. John McCain's campaign Web site.

"I love her and will vote for her in 2012, but it's McCain all the way now," wrote one within moments of the former first lady's address.

Whether that sort of statement signals a defection to the presumptive Republican nominee, a voter less likely to make it to the polls on Election Day or just a bit of low-grade, post-primary grumbling - it's the sort of sentiment that makes for a nagging, low-grade anxiety among nervous Democrats and brings a gleam to the eye of McCain.

As Democratic leaders met last month and decided to seat Florida and Michigan at half strength at the convention, angry Clinton supporters who had backed her plea for the seating of full delegations from both states began to chant, "Let's go, McCain!"

And as Clinton's presidential bid wound down, some of her loudest supporters began insisting they would consider voting for McCain if she were not the Democratic nominee.

Full story

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. Linda31

I said I wouldn't comment again, but I'm addicted.

People are making a great point that Clinton will have a prominent place in an Obama administration. Do you think that will be the case with McCain? I think not! So to those Hillary supporters that are saying no to Obama. I ask what do you want your candidate to do during those 4 maybe 8 years?

Do you realize we have an opportunity to have 16 years of Democrat in the Oval office????? Imagine the possibilities or stay angry and hurt Obama, DNC, America, the world and CLINTON.

June 9, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  2. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I'm going to say this like a lot of democrats have said, if GWB had never been voted in we wouldn't have been in the mess we're in today so therefore I will vote for McCain to continue this mess since Hillary is not the nominee. I don't care if I lose my house, my job, pay $5.00/gallon for gas or go without food, I'm voting for John McCain.

June 9, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  3. Pamela

I echo Bridgette's sentiments. I have never thought a woman should be President , BTW I am a woman. I believe that women are strong, intelligent and very capable; however ,like it or not, we are emotional creatures. Hillary lost my support when she lost a primary round and started crying on camera. Then she got upset over an Obama ad and started yelling and finger waving. I would like the Presidenet to always maintain their poise and I am sorry Hillary just did not do that for me.

As for her supporters, I have been reading these blogs for weeks and the irrational thinking that is being displayed, further proves my point. It reminds me of childish playground antics-I lost, so I am taking by ball and going home. This is not an attempt to demoralize or insult anyone, it is simply an observation.

As for Obama supporters, why keep making negative comments or insults. Your guy won, so leave these people alone to heal and regroup. If they don't vote for Obama, so what. He has ran a very strategic campaign and I am sure that he has factored in the percentage of Hillary supporters who will refuse to vote for him.

June 9, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  4. No McCain

1) True democrats will vote for the Democratic Party even if if their nominee was not elected.

2) Those that vote just to get even with others don't deserve to be part of our journey anyhow

June 9, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  5. Xavier, St. Louis, MO

For those who would rather vote McCain; just look at America's poor economy, our enormous unemployment rate, foreclosures, high healthcare cost, $4 a gallon gas, this pointless war in Iraq and the list goes on and go. If you still want another four years of this madness, then vote for McCain. Just don't complain because you deserve what you get!

Also, if you don't vote, you are just as guilty as if you were voting for McCain. Not voting is basically saying you're happy with the way things are!

June 9, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  6. Democrat 08

I was one of those that said if my canidate wasn't the nominee I would vote for McCain.....but then I started to think what I would get if the republicans were in the house another 4 years. For me, it just wasn't worth it and I hope that each person would step back for a moment and think about it honestly. Please compare the two policies see which would work for you. Trust me it's worth it!!

VOTE with your head and not your heart!!!

June 9, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  7. Rose - Baltimore, MD

If Hillary supporters don't vote for Obama, it is ok because Obama is still going to be the president. Have you checked the polls lately. they are soaring for Obama. Please keep your angry vote.

June 9, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  8. darrell

C'mon now, can the media be so stupid as to not see that many of the disenfranchised Clinton supporters are actually just republican plants determined to divide the party? why doesn't CNN or anyone else report on that???? The posts by many of these 'angry that hillary lost democrats' are so transparent and full of typical conservative republican rhetoric..ignore these posts by the Limbaugh right!! Everything you hear on here is almost verbatim from his radio show..

June 9, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  9. TI from NJ

McCain in 08!
    And if you attend his inauguration he will be raffling free four year tours to fight in Iraq for the first one hindred people! What a Prez!

June 9, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  10. Madison

Yawn. I'm tired of begging these "disappointed" backers. I just wish they'd stop posting their sound bites-it's the same old non-truths from the low information/high emotion voters.

June 9, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  11. kim portland, oregon

if you love hillary SOOOO MUCH that you would vote against the well-being of you, your family, and your country, then why dont you respect her enough to back obama AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY like she and bill are?!?!

it's obviously not about hillary herself as the candidate with you b/c if you respected her enough to vote for her (or, apparently, die for some of you) why not respect her wishes?

my guess is that your (INCORRECT) belief that hillary was somehow ripped off of votes touched off some deep-rooted hurt in your past where YOU got ripped off. the reaction is so clearly emotional, and not at all rational. it's time to WAKE UP, get out of VICTIM mode, and vote DEMOCRAT.

no more neocons! mccain = bush!!!!!!!!!!

June 9, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  12. New Day

...and for the true Hillary supporters, we might not be able to win with out you but, you also cant win with out our 18 million votes. Lets not give McCain and the republican sheep posting on here as fake dems 8 more years of horror.

June 9, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  13. Bernadine Platen

It is ridiculous for a real Hillary supporter to embrace McCain. If they can read and write, they know that McCain's position on all the issues is light years away from Hillary's. I think Republicans are planting these sort of statements hoping that the slightly less educated women who are her supporters will be influenced by this nonsense.

June 9, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  14. Rise LADY RISE

No TRASHING of Hillary.

SHE HAS SHOWN HER COMMITMENT AND DEVOTION TO HER COUNTRY AND ALL ITS VARIED PEOPLES.

So We will never again fail this GOOD woman.

The TRUE champion of the people.

June 9, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  15. Frankie

Forget it John, I am not going to dissappoint the democratic party. As angry as I am for Clinton not making it, I would rather vote for Obama.

June 9, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  16. Chris

The HRC supporters are letting the media and the GOP get them off focus on what reallyt matters!!! THE ISSUES AND NOT ANOTHER REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT FOR THE NEXT FOUR YEARS!!!

If you are going to go vote a Republican in office then you weren't a Democrat in the first place.
    Obama platform is little or no diffrent than HRC and if you go and vote for a Republican because your person didn't get the nomination well, you should just sit at home and not vote.

June 9, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  17. SONIA4HILLARY SPOUTS DRIBBLE

SONIA4HILLARY .... what are you talking about? Your posts have filled up the board and all you have spouted is rhetoric. Obama was chosen by the media? Yea right, CNN itself was more biased towards Hillary. Regardless of who was favored in the media, the voters chose the nominee not the media.

Now Hillary and Barack are very similar on the issues. So similar that it really boiled down to who people simply liked better. I would have voted for HIllary had she won b/c she's close to me on the issues.

Voting for McCain makes no sense if you were once a Clinton supporter. She wouldn't even respect you SONIA4HILLARY if you made that decision. What kind of an informed decision is that?

That's the exact opposite of what an intelligent candidate like Hillary would want from her electorate. Shame on you SONIA4HILLARY....SHAME ON ALL OF YOU HILLARY SUPPORTERS THAT WOULD CHANGE YOUR VOTE TO MCCAIN. YOUR BACKSTABBING HILLARY AND AMERICA BY VOTING FOR HIM. YOU'RE NOT HURTING OBAMA...YOU'RE HURTING YOURSELVES AND THE REST OF US. FOR SHAME ON YOU FLIP-FLOPPERS.

June 9, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  18. Give me a break

No Tom it isn't the same because McSame wants to continue the war in Iraq which is costing us billions of dollars. Obama wants to end the war and use that money to invest in infrastructure here in the U.S which would bring more jobs and stimulate the economy. How is the gas tax holiday, only potentially saving us $28 in 3 months, going to stimulate the economy when you're taking money away from the infrustructure budget? That will create more job loss! Obama has a real plan and has accounted for every dollar of spending in his plan (Pay as you Go) unlike McSame who wants to continue with the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest americans and big corporations and pander to those who are suffering in this country. He's a joke. Did you listen to the whole speech or just a blip of Obama's speech? Please do your research.

June 9, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  19. ch

To Obama and his supporters: No Hillary for VP – no vote. Simple as that.

June 9, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  20. Sunburn

Tiffany, Sonia is also inconsiderate as well. She has blogged about seven or eight times about useless trash on this post, while others are just trying to get in one intelligent, relevant blog. What a nerve!

June 9, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  21. JR from NJ

Dude.....Free Airfare to Iraq sign me up!

June 9, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  22. John-Iowa

Another Clinton supporter voting for McCain!!

Democrats for McCain '08!!

June 9, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  23. joyo

That;s okay, you people voting for McCain over Obama, i hope you let the republicans finiish the country off, any idiot that would vote for bushes 3rd term will deserve what they get

June 9, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  24. QuietStormX

These Women threatening to vote Republican must be homosexual and or racist? Barack Obama has said or done nothing to drive them away. Trying to blame someone else for Hillary's failed campaign is just blind and stupid. You want to play in a mans world, act like a man and take the defeat. If you're a Democrat, you are not real toward politics. There are winners and losers in the game. Men don't act like Hillary Clinton with this "feelings" stuff in having to take time too digest what next. Politics are not for soft people. They have to take the good and bad. For the most part, real women will take the time and learn plus listen. That is a real Democrat, not what the media runs on air over and over. Angry white woman.... "why?" Once these women calm down and open their eyes, they will come home to the Democratic party that looks out for women and their issues not republicans period.

Think about the Democratic party and the History being made around the world.

Washington, D.C.

June 9, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  25. GROW UP

ALL OF THESE PEOPLE WHINNINGAND CRYING FOUL AND THREATENING TO VOTE MCCAIN ARE NOT TRU HILLARY SUPPORTERS. THEY NEED TO CHECK THEIR MOTIVES BUT MANY OF THEM ALREADY KNOW. OBAMA AND HILLARY AND NOT THAT FAR APART ON THESE ISSUES. THEY DON'T WANT OT VOTE FOR BLACK MAN. ADMIT IT. I COULD RESPECT THAT MORE THAN LYING AND PRETENDING TO BE HILLARY SUPPORTERS. THEY WANTED A WOMEN IN THE WHITE HOUSE AND THINK A BLACK MAN TOOK IT FROM HER. WELL VOTE MCCAIN AT YPOUR OWN RISK BUT DON'T SAY YPU ARE HILLARY SUPPPORTERS. SHE DOESN'T SUPPORT THAT AND YOU INSULT HER. I LOVE MY FAMILY, FRIENDS AND COUNTRY TOO MUCH TO HAVE A TANTRUM OR BE A RACIST.

June 9, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |