June 9th, 2008

McCain team reaches out to disappointed Clinton backers

Would Clinton's supporters really consider backing McCain this fall?
Would Clinton's supporters really consider backing McCain this fall?

WASHINGTON (CNN) - While Sen. Hillary Clinton was endorsing Sen. Barack Obama, some of those weighing in on her campaign Web site were less willing to concede.

As Clinton wrapped up her remarks Saturday in Washington with a plea for supporters to work "as hard for Barack Obama as you have for me," many were posting messages saying they would never vote for the presumptive Democratic nominee. A few even called on her backers to visit Sen. John McCain's campaign Web site.

"I love her and will vote for her in 2012, but it's McCain all the way now," wrote one within moments of the former first lady's address.

Whether that sort of statement signals a defection to the presumptive Republican nominee, a voter less likely to make it to the polls on Election Day or just a bit of low-grade, post-primary grumbling - it's the sort of sentiment that makes for a nagging, low-grade anxiety among nervous Democrats and brings a gleam to the eye of McCain.

As Democratic leaders met last month and decided to seat Florida and Michigan at half strength at the convention, angry Clinton supporters who had backed her plea for the seating of full delegations from both states began to chant, "Let's go, McCain!"

And as Clinton's presidential bid wound down, some of her loudest supporters began insisting they would consider voting for McCain if she were not the Democratic nominee.

Full story

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. rexx

Some of you obviously know nothing about politics. Quoting polls NOW is like quoting the weather forecast for 2043.

June 9, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  2. ktlin

McCain has to realize also that Obama is reaching out to all the Romney et al disapointed supporters. The very same thing happened on the GOP side only Romney dropped out to keep everything from becoming a circus. Hillary didn't. Nor did Huckabee but he wasn't the main challenger in my opinion to begin with. The same thing would have happened if Edwards hadn't dropped out. And Romney only suspended his campaign just like Hillary. They couldn't be more alike yet McCain has misread that also.

June 9, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  3. Roger Robeson

I've been a Democrat all my life but come November, the choice is clear to me. John McCain will be getting my vote!

June 9, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  4. David in Chicago

I wonder how many of Hillaries votes were Rush Limbaugh Republicans following orders.

June 9, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  5. James Nelson

Anybody dumb enough to think that Hillary and McCain have anything in common– and to vote as if they did, or to vote so because of a childish fit of pique– is too stupid to actually be a Democrat.

Anybody foolish enough to have endured 8 years of Bush and willing to endure another 4 of the same for no other reason than they can't master their temper, deserves what they get– a Supreme court packed with conservatives, more fiscal troubles, more healthcare problems, more climate change issues unaddressed, more banking, housing and oil troubles and four (or a hundred) more years of Iraq.

Too bad the rest of the country has to suffer for your tantrums.

June 9, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  6. Daniel Wagle

I would say, as a Hillary supporter, if you JUST cannot vote for Obama, at LEAST vote for Democrats in EVERY other office. IF McCain gets in, and we elect a veto proof congress, he cannot get ANY of the right wing judges he wants to overturn Roe vs. Wade. He cannot stop gay rights. The domestic agenda would be controlled by the democrats, and maybe foreign policy could be controlled by McCain.

June 9, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  7. SONIA4HILLARY IS A REPUBLICAN

SONIA4HILLARY clearly is a McCain supporter planted here to post. But it makes no sense, most people that read the CNN Political Blog aren't silly enough to listen to her rhetoric. We're obviously more informed. I can't even believe I wasted my time to respond to SONIA4HILLARY. I'm laughing at myself right now.

June 9, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  8. Informed voter from florida

Dis someone really say "oh sweet BLACK jesus?".

Oh my, I am so ashamed. How Could I vote for McCain? Well let's see....EASILY! I'll be waving banners and reminding ALL women and Hillary supporters how Obama was FORCED upon us so that a WOMAN would not possibly be president. I'm a disabled vet AND a woman! My vote goes to McCain and I don't give a hoot what you brainwashed Obama people think about it. You can keep on fooling yourselves but you'll see in November. Obama will NOT win!

June 9, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  9. Done deal

Hillary supporters, think a little bit. If you vote for McCain and the Republicans win, a lot of Obama's supporters (with the same stupid reasoning) will make you pay in 2012, where they will vote for McCain to block Hillary. Is that what you want? 16 years of Republican rule????

June 9, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  10. joy

attn:
    the only experence hillary has is lieing and you voters are so retarted for saying i will vote mcsain.

GROW UP AND SHUT THE HECK UP.
    DO WHAT YOU WANT
    HILLARY SAID SHE WILL RUN IN 2016 AGAIN.
    AND IF OBAMA DON'T WIN THIS TIME SHE IS RUINED FOR LIFE IN POLITICS BECAUSE IT WILL BE PARTLY HER FAULT THE REST WILL BE YOU HILL VOTERS FAULT.
    go ahead and run her for 2016, we don't want a clinton now and shure as hell don't want her then. so i dare you put mcsain in. you want own a computer or a home by then. mcsain gets in you will loose every thing you have and besides it is pure stupidity to vote for a woman (just because she is a woman) look at the issues and who is honest and can deliver. it is barack.

CNN PLEASE POST THIS AND THE BEST THING CNN CAN DO IS TO STOP THESE BLOGHS. STOP THESE STUPID REMARKS.
    have a better day

June 9, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  11. Raise her UP in Nov

To fellow HRC supporters... Each of us... do whatever we need to do to end fixed primaries.

Follow your conscience... I trust you.

We have MANY OPTIONS:
    Some of us are in states where we can honor her with a write in vote.
    Those that can't may have a chance for a protest vote.
    NM- your write in will go to Obama (as I understand it)
    Consider the GREEN PARTY candidate.
    Consider McCain.

DO whatEVER is necessary to tell the DEMOCRATIC PARTY, the DNC, the Media and Celebrities to STOP SWAYING ELECTIONS.

Bring back the people's right to vote- freedom, fair elections, justice and equality for ALL.

June 9, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  12. joyo

And you Hillary supporters, you all got duped, your votes wasn't going to be important, if she would have wrapped things up by Feb 5th, Florida or Michigan in her book didn't count. Obama let her get by the rules twice and she still lose, fair is fair, but the psychogy behind supporting Hillary is as evil and deceptive as she is

June 9, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  13. Jonah from NJ

I am a McCane man because he will send me and all my friends to Iraq for free. I always wanted to see Europe! Go Bush/McCain!

June 9, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  14. Cali Girl

Still for Hill,

You are just spewing information from the republican notebook, voting present on issues, anti-american radicals.

Get informed and think before you speak. Don't just repeat what you hear because it actually makes you sound ignorant.

If you are/were a Hillary supporter, you would know that Hillary proposed just about the same programs that Barack has.

June 9, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  15. Kelly

I am a Hillary supporter who takes her vote very seriously. I will not vote OUT of REVENGE. I would Not Try to defeat Obama.

I am not sure about Obama. He has copsied almost All of Hillary's positions on the issues; that is why there was such little difference between them.

I am not sure of Obama's Sincerity. McCain Does have Integrity and has show it through out his life. At least I feel that I can believe him; that is why I am considering voting for him.

Obama Supporters- If he does Not win It Is NOT because of Hillary's supporters; it is because He could Not connect with the Voters.

I believe Hillary will campaign as hard for Obama as she would have for herself. She Does Stand Behind Her Word.

June 9, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  16. Janet, American via Canada

Obviously, those illfated Clintons supporters don't care about the economy! They must be all rich and happy! And, that goes for those who say they won't vote! They should send money to those families without employment, health care, food, homes, etc., for this even Senator Clinton should help support those who this economy has taken their livilhood and all those soldiers and their families who gave their lives for an unjust WAR!

True Democratics and SMART THINKING VOTERS just have to look, hear and read what is/has happened to this country and its economy!

As a 63 yr old Female, I just want to get rid of the Republicans and give ourselves a chance at a new beginning, Senator Obama has shown Honesty (not lies) Dignity (not hatred and Division) and the list goes on, even with the negative attacks from both sides of the table!

I certainly don't want us to turn back history 50+year, and go back into the kitchen, Mrs. Obama definitely agrees with that fact!

June 9, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  17. leon

Everybody you need to read the Bill Cosby article on the Wall Street Journal about Obama. It is really a good article analyzing why we should include the impact of Obama's church on his career and political judgement.

June 9, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  18. Jeff in Hampshire, IL

Mike and others tell us "say what you wish Obama supporters, it's our vote"

Thanks for the approval. Ok how's this:
    IF YOU WERE IN AGREEMENT WITH HILLARY ON THE ISSUES, THEN YOU ARE ABSOLUTE FOOLS (AND BIG BABIES WHO CAN'T PLAY BY THE RULES WHEN YOU AREN'T WINNING) TO VOTE FOR MCCAIN.

June 9, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  19. Ty, Minnesota

Hillary supporters! Let's get this straight. Obama is our nominee. No complaining or whining will ever get Hillary as the nominee now. The picture is clear. You either stay true to your values, the same values that Clinton and Obama shares or you go McCain just to so all of us can have another disastrous 4 years. For all those Hillary supporters that are thinking about going to the McCain camp you better think twice. Al Gore said it best at one time, "This isn't about you. It's about your country."

June 9, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  20. 2008,2012,2016,2020........................

People, People, are you listening to yourselves? What do you think the future will hold for all Americans if you carry out your threats?
    Another umpteen years of revolution, another umpteen years of McBush failed policies, and your Hillary never, ever, becoming the President of the good old USA! Why? Simple. What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander too. Barack plays by the rules all right but do you think that his supporters will stand idle by and let you get away with throwing your Country under the bus, just out of sheer spite? If you do I think that you are in for a very rude awakening! You boycott Barack this time, and his supporters will never vote and support Hillary in the future. Barack supporters let's show them that we can play by their rules just as easily as they can! You would think that by now after having made so many mistakes, that Hillary's supporters would have learned from experience, well I guess they are slow learners.

June 9, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  21. Ben

Give the Clinton supporters some credit, they aren't really stupid enough to vote McCain. Most of the posts claiming to be Clinton supporters switching to McCain are just republicans trying to stir up trouble. Don't let them.

June 9, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  22. Christopher, Madison, WI

You nasty evil Hillary supporters can vote for Satan for all I care. Now take your marbles and throw your little tantrum at home. The hostile hateful vindictive portion of the Hillary camp make up less than 5%. It would appear there are more of you but not true. The same bloggers with different names on every site flooding to make it appear like a problem. We don't need pseudo democrats. March over to the dark side. We don't need you in our vision of change. However the "feminist" are more than welcome because no true "feminist" would ever vote for a warmongering, tax break for the rich giving, liar like McSame!

June 9, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  23. girlscoutnut

YOU'VE GOT ME SIR! Far too early for polls to mean anything as we have learned that factor. The race is just starting so let the games begin. McCain is the best of the two choice. Obama is akin to a high school student attending space camp and being given the command of the next space shuttle mission? Actually, that analogy has more merit or relationship than Obama in the legislature to the presidency?

June 9, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  24. w.l. jones

I were taught in order to have experience you would acually have done the job before. I were raise on a farm and did most all the job on it now am I an experience farmer no only following orders. This go for every president elect in the history of our country not one of them had experience opon taken office including a vice-president. It and on the job training for both canidate elect. Have a bless day.

June 9, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  25. Kenneth M.

SONIA4HILLARY, we are glad we could help. But you should not wait to start talking. Could have won if you would have started on your own. The best part is that in 2012 Hillary will be 70. Then she could be the oldest women ever to run for office.

June 9, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |